Custom 1/48 "Masterpiece" Jetfire

Grand Admiral

Hi Everyone,

Like many of you, my first encounter with a VF-1 was through Transformers.

I recently bought the 1/48 Stealth with Strike packs, and my buddy Chris was so impressed he decided to take the plunge and we would create for him a "Masterpiece" Jetfire.

He bought the Hikaru VF-1S and the Strike/FAST Pack set from HLJ.

Today he came over to my house and we spent the afternoon working on it. Actually, since I had more experience with models and paint, I spent most of the time working on it. ;)

I found that Testors Model Master "Guard Red" is a pretty fair match to the Yamato red paint.

So, without further ado, here are the photos!

IPB Image

The Autobot logo doesn't show in jet mode because we placed it on the heat shield. You'll also note that the Macross kite is still on the wing... because it's a Matsushiro Jetfire. ;)

Ok, actually Chris didn't want me to completely disassemble his VF-1 to be able to properly tape and paint the wings and fuselage, so we skipped it. He didn't mind having black stripes instead of red.

IPB Image

We got decals from Reprolabels.com. The Autobot logos for the FAST packs were a bit small, but they look ok centered on that area. If it were mine, I probably would've figured out where to get bigger logos, but Chris was happy with them.

IPB Image

IPB Image

The Reprolabels logo worked really well on the heat shield, I think.

I also got a couple of pictures of the paint process. Here's my getto paint booth... the cockpit pieces look "lumpy" because they have lots of masking tape on them to protect the canopy and create lines for the nose stripe.

IPB Image

I used Citadel (Warhammer) white primer.

IPB Image

Here's some carnage from disassembly. I think this is about as much as Chris could stomach, with the price of this toy. ;)

IPB Image

IPB Image

Anyway, it was a fun project. I would have liked to spend a bit more time on making it a more accurate Jetfire, but Chris went home happy with a cool toy for his display shelf. All in all, a fun way to spend a Saturday. B))

Chris is going to order a Gundam marker and panel-line his Jetfire so I may post updated photos in a couple weeks.

Enjoy!

Edited by Grand Admiral

Nice work.

My brother wanted me to do something similar, but now he has his heart set on a Decepticon Jetfire to go with his aged Autobot one.

Baronv

I Have been looking at making one after my custom 1/55 is done with. it`s gonna be a hard and long job though as most of it will be total scratch build stuff.

Wow :o

Makes me wish I had the spare cash to order an extra 1/48 vf-1s to do this. I loved the chunky jetfire from when I was young.

• 2 weeks later...

sweet. Where is the blunted nose?!?! :rolleyes:

after all those years of fans making resin pointy noses to convert jetfire to vf's wil we now see a reverse trend for the 1/48? :lol:

Thanks. I've been trying to convince Chris that we need to have another paint session to make the stripes red. :D

And a red visor. It just doesn't look like Jetfire without a red visor :D j/k Really awesome work.

EDIT: Spelling. Doh!!

Edited by mister_e

That's great! Not 100% acurate, but who really cares when it looks that good? Eh?

I wish I had the skill and patience... not to mention $$$... to do something like that.