Macross 25th Anniversary! New TV series coming!

wolfx

That would be sweet, but doubtful.

BigWest has always retained sole ownership of their titles post SDFM, however if I remember correctly after the decision about the line art, there were still a few more copyright cases peninding on the matter of SDFM. I suspect it may have to do with who owns the story of SDFM and possibly who owns DYRL (although these are only speculations on un-named cases still pending).

Even if the legal issues in Japan were finally resolved, the ones over here would just be beginning. Someone would have to be willing to bankroll a court challenge based on the Japanese decisions to challenge HG's claim of franchise ownership. Ironically, NOW is the best time for that, considering they have a lot of resources tied up in their new RT show and may be less likely to put up an all out fight for a 25 year old piece of animation that they no longer reference.

Jesus. This sounds like a mess. This has been going on for YEARS, and there's still no end to it in site. How long do these kind of legal battles usually get drawn out for? Is this the longest one in the history legal battles?

Doesn't HG/Tatsunoko basically own the international distributions rights of the show & Big West/Studio Nue owns the line art & design of the show as well as the show in Japan? I always wondered why HG just didn't licenced the character & mecha designs of Macross from BW in exchange for BW being able to sell their MACROSS products in the states. In recent yrs. it seems BW is moving away from the original 1982 designs for a more modern look. Why not let HG have the older stuff & BW can get an opening in the states. HG wants to use MACROSS in ROBOTECH & BW wants to sell product in the West. It's a win win for both sides.

are we gonna finally get an answer to what happened to Hikaru, Misa and Minmei? could it be... oh, i hope so...

I almost wonder about that actually, taking mac2 and the top-gun PLUS out fo the equation,

Macross 7 was following a story of Basara, etc alongside Max and Zero was about Shin alongside Roy, would be fitting and nice for a new group tagging alongside Hikaru and finding out how he tunred out. A nice space epic again wold be nice, with less weird island people and singing valk idol-squads..

Plus a Hikaru Skull leader scheme on some modern valks through the big Y would be icing on the cake.

Hey guys, would you please take this license debate to the license debate thread and keep on topic here?

And repalce it with what? "News"? Oh wait, there isn't any....

No debate, just information... :p

Final word on the subject, as there IS another thread dedicated to licensing...

Doesn't HG/Tatsunoko basically own the international distributions rights of the show & Big West/Studio Nue owns the line art & design of the show as well as the show in Japan? I always wondered why HG just didn't licenced the character & mecha designs of Macross from BW in exchange for BW being able to sell their MACROSS products in the states. In recent yrs. it seems BW is moving away from the original 1982 designs for a more modern look. Why not let HG have the older stuff & BW can get an opening in the states. HG wants to use MACROSS in ROBOTECH & BW wants to sell product in the West. It's a win win for both sides.

The Japanese court decision gives Tatsunoko rights to the "animation" only as part of their payment for producing the show back in 1982, nothing else is specified. Because HG sided with Tatsunoko during the legal dispute they have alienated themselves from BigWest and will most likely never see any partnerships with that company. As for HG getting SDFM, that is like giving 20th Century Fox "StarWars" because Lucas is now working on newer stuff. SDFM is what established the Macross universe and is the greatest success of the franchise, to simply walk away from it is not an option.

Edited by Zinjo

Hikaru and company wouldn't have the modern valks because they lost contact with earth and everyone else and dropped off the space map. :p ... into a black hole. :p

I would like to see Aegis Fokker and Suzie Newtlet make at least a cameo appearance if it takes place post MVFX2. I sure wouldn't mind seeing a Miria clone from one of the other fleets. Or as I've said many times before, one of the other Jenius daughters. Hell, it would be cool to see Chlore from M7 FOTW episode, as a flight instructor (UN Spacy, or being the enemy pilot in simulated dogfights).

Spot on or not, it's still bad to comment on the entirety of something without having experienced the entirety of it.

That would be like saying you can't give anyone advice or your opinion because you've not lived your complete lifespan so you don't have the experience necessary to have an opinion. Silly or downright snobbish, either way.

But you may have had a point but I made sure that I qualified myself TWICE that it was my perceptions from a limited amount of episodes seen. So your points are moot, imo. But they are your opinions, so I respect that. Bust someone for only watching an ep. or 2, but not 4 or more.

As for my comment about 'native culture'. It's abundantly clear that if you watched M7 without being even somewhat exposed to the culture before you would immediately get the impression that the lead is an assbag of massive proportions and that he is an incredibly large fool for his stance.

-----------------

ANYWAYS......

In theory, the Megaroad fleet went off with just as much technological advancement potential as the Earth had in 2012. There's no reason to believe that they wouldn't also be advancing their stuff.

That actually would be a great plot twist, starting out a series with some type of military academy aboard a colony fleet, then bam, later on as the story expands, finding out it's the Megaorad-01. :)

In theory, the Megaroad fleet went off with just as much technological advancement potential as the Earth had in 2012. There's no reason to believe that they wouldn't also be advancing their stuff.

That actually would be a great plot twist, starting out a series with some type of military academy aboard a colony fleet, then bam, later on as the story expands, finding out it's the Megaorad-01. :)

Hmm, you may have something there.... :)

Or the academy squadron aboard a Begin Hill colony fleet ship that makes contact with a mysterious "alien" fleet that turns out to be the long lost Megaroad 01 fleet... ;)

It's going to turn out that Misa divorced Hikaru for having an affair with Minmay. :p Hikaru and Misa's daughter becomes a hotshot pilot that secretly has a pop singer identity (completely from the piloting, so no singing pilots).

In the case that Keith argued, they independently came up with a design that paralleled the evolution of valkyrie designs back in home space.

They also discover Sara and Shin with their radioactive love child.

... Actually to be honest I really wouldn't be surprised if they did bring Sara and Shin back, or a child of theirs.

34 pages. . . can't find these sketches or anything beside ranting, arguing, and those ranting and arguing about the ranting and arguing.

Can someone do a summary post. Maybe the content will go up on MW main page or the Nexus.

Best,

H

34 pages. . . can't find these sketches or anything beside ranting, arguing, and those ranting and arguing about the ranting and arguing.

Can someone do a summary post. Maybe the content will go up on MW main page or the Nexus.

Best,

H

ranting about the rant... haha.

Best,

H

Believe it or not, there is a minority of us that are enjoying the small amount of relevant discussion in this thread. We're doing fairly well ignoring the self-appointed "parents" of the thread and we're even having a little fun trading our wish lists, so its not a total loss :)

Summary - as far as I can discern - of the past few weeks

• Macross 25 is indeed a working name only.
  • A big scan of the latest concept art for Macross 25
  • According to Kawamori in the article, the setting will be a school and will feature teenage students for characters.
  • In the article, Kawamori apparently explains he avoided doing a new Macross TV series because he could not produce a level of quality animation that could match the OVAs and thus didn't want to disappoint Macross fans. But now that technology has helped improve TV production values, he's gone ahead with the new Macross series.
  • The Official Macross Website has the release for Macross 25 listed as October.

It's not an elf - its a vulcan.

After all, aliens really look like us except for the little cosmetic differences (like a giant walnut in the forehead for instance).

It's nothing new in science fiction - nobody would bond with the multidimensional slug that communicates by ripping out its organs and making them change color. Although I would give points to any series that at least tried . . . .

Finally some Macross 25 news! I've just bought the NewType where that scan was taken from... quite interesting, it also has the story of Macross, an article on the concert and some images from the Evangelion Movies. The 'Elf" looks like Elma...

The Official Macross Website has the release for Macross 25 listed as October.

hmmm....

I don't think so...

The Official message:

1982å¹´10月3æ—¥(æ—¥)åˆå¾Œ2時ã‹ã‚‰æ”¾é€ã‚’開始ã—ãŸã€Œè¶…時空è¦å¡žãƒžã‚¯ãƒ­ã‚¹ã€ã€‚

今年10月ã§ã€ãƒžã‚¯ãƒ­ã‚¹ã‚·ãƒªãƒ¼ã‚ºã¯ãƒ†ãƒ¬ãƒ“放é€é–‹å§‹ã‹ã‚‰å››åŠä¸–紀を迎ãˆã¾ã™ã€‚

“テレビ放é€é–‹å§‹â€<------tv broadcasting begin

What mean is it? "Macross 25" or "Macross TV"? I guess it is Macross TV in 1982. Because The New Macross only has a temp title, Macross 25.

Sure... Oct.

It is a good time.

Maybe it is Macross 25 for 25th, hehehe~~~

^^

Edited by kresphy

It's not an elf - its a vulcan.

After all, aliens really look like us except for the little cosmetic differences (like a giant walnut in the forehead for instance).

It's nothing new in science fiction - nobody would bond with the multidimensional slug that communicates by ripping out its organs and making them change color. Although I would give points to any series that at least tried . . . .

In Star Trek they explain it away that there is some common ancestor to all the races in the galaxy, but it's only mentioned once in passing and the idea is never explored so it comes off as a cheap and forgettable excuse. In Macross, they have the same premise on why all the "aliens" look like humans with only minor cosmetic traits to differentiate them. However, it's more immediate, the Protoculture being that common origin for humans, Zentradi, and Zolans, and all those races being the direct result of the Protoculture. The only race shown in Macross not related to the Protoculture's racial engineering are the Protodevlin, and they have no bodies at all, except those they take from existing beings. I suppose being more up-front makes the excuse more acceptable, but it would be nice to see them try, especially if they introduce any further alien races.

Star Wars has lots of humanoid aliens, but also a good share of more "otherworldly" beings. Orson Scott Card tends to push further in what I've read of his books, and he'd be a likely candidate for writing a story about multidimensional slugs that rip out their organs to communicate (he actually did have something kinda like that in one of the Ender books).

In Star Trek they explain it away that there is some common ancestor to all the races in the galaxy, but it's only mentioned once in passing and the idea is never explored so it comes off as a cheap and forgettable excuse. In Macross, they have the same premise on why all the "aliens" look like humans with only minor cosmetic traits to differentiate them. However, it's more immediate, the Protoculture being that common origin for humans, Zentradi, and Zolans, and all those races being the direct result of the Protoculture. The only race shown in Macross not related to the Protoculture's racial engineering are the Protodevlin, and they have no bodies at all, except those they take from existing beings. I suppose being more up-front makes the excuse more acceptable, but it would be nice to see them try, especially if they introduce any further alien races.

Star Wars has lots of humanoid aliens, but also a good share of more "otherworldly" beings. Orson Scott Card tends to push further in what I've read of his books, and he'd be a likely candidate for writing a story about multidimensional slugs that rip out their organs to communicate (he actually did have something kinda like that in one of the Ender books).

You should also check out some of Robert L Forward's books, he goes for REALLY alien. Like 12 eyed microscopic slug-like critters that live on the surface of a neutron star. Believe it or not, he makes it work.

As far as Macross goes, I initially thought the grey skin and pointy ears of the Zents was weird when they introduced it in DYRL. Before that, you had a few odd skins colors (greenish & purplish) but they were pretty much human. After a while, I became OK with it; it makes sense that even if we're genetically identical, there would be some racial differences - we did develop indepedently. The weird part now is that Milla seems to be the only Zent that looks normal anymore.

Edited by Kelsain

As far as Macross goes, I initially thought the grey skin and pointy ears of the Zents was weird when they introduced it in DYRL. Before that, you had a few odd skins colors (greenish & purplish) but they were pretty much human. After a while, I became OK with it; it makes sense that even if we're genetically identical, there would be some racial differences - we did develop indepedently. The weird part now is that Milla seems to be the only Zent that looks normal anymore.

Actually that seems to be a female trait. Lap Lamiz and Viffidas both looked very human with pale skin and the like. Though the Meltran may have been a race developed after the Zentran, possibly with a greater amount of human or protoculture DNA...

After all they did seem smarter, more skilled as fighters, etc...

As far as Macross goes, I initially thought the grey skin and pointy ears of the Zents was weird when they introduced it in DYRL.

Zentraedi have pointy ears in DYRL?

Zentraedi have pointy ears in DYRL?

Yeah, toward the end there's a press conference where they explain that humans and zentraedi have the same DNA. There they announce that 3 of the Zents have volunteered to be micloned to normal size, and the three are asked to stand up. They're DYRL versions of the 3 spies (Bron, Rico & Konda - sorry, can't remember their original names!). They have bald heads, grey skin and pointy ears.

As for the Meltrandi - hmmm, maybe the Protoculture appreciated the idea of giant sexy women, just like all of us who appreciate Millia. Therefore they kept normal skin tones, proportions, and long (LONG) flowing hair...

I'm not sure that they are intende to be pointy pointy. I mean, there are several places where Hikaru and Misa's ears are very pointy as well. Yet they aren't vulcans.

Then again, you could be right. Now that you mention it, I seem to recall some overt pointiness.

hmmm....

I don't think so...

The Official message:

1982å¹´10月3æ—¥(æ—¥)åˆå¾Œ2時ã‹ã‚‰æ”¾é€ã‚’開始ã—ãŸã€Œè¶…時空è¦å¡žãƒžã‚¯ãƒ­ã‚¹ã€ã€‚

今年10月ã§ã€ãƒžã‚¯ãƒ­ã‚¹ã‚·ãƒªãƒ¼ã‚ºã¯ãƒ†ãƒ¬ãƒ“放é€é–‹å§‹ã‹ã‚‰å››åŠä¸–紀を迎ãˆã¾ã™ã€‚

“テレビ放é€é–‹å§‹â€<------tv broadcasting begin

What mean is it? "Macross 25" or "Macross TV"? I guess it is Macross TV in 1982. Because The New Macross only has a temp title, Macross 25.

Sure... Oct.

It is a good time.

Maybe it is Macross 25 for 25th, hehehe~~~

^^

Living proof why the phrase "as far as I can discern" is so important in these threads. THe defense rests, your honor :):p

In Macross, they have the same premise on why all the "aliens" look like humans with only minor cosmetic traits to differentiate them. However, it's more immediate, the Protoculture being that common origin for humans, Zentradi, and Zolans, and all those races being the direct result of the Protoculture. The only race shown in Macross not related to the Protoculture's racial engineering are the Protodevlin, and they have no bodies at all, except those they take from existing beings.

This has been my understanding of Macross as well. Technically, there were no aliens in Macross until Macross 7. Sentient life, as known so far in the Macross universe, was all tied to the original species, the Protoculture...until the Protodevlin came across (who are not from the primary universe).

This has been my understanding of Macross as well.

And even then, the Protodevlin were sentient weapons developed by the Protoculture, so I recall.

Anything with a 'truley' unconnected alien origin didn't play a major part.. Or it must have been Gugava. :p