Macross 25th Anniversary! New TV series coming!

wolfx

Looks like Bandai Visual is releasing their HD version of the Freedom OAV with English Subtitles concurrently in North America with the Japanese release:

Freedom set for simultaneous US/Japan HD-DVD release

On June 26th, Bandai Visual will simultaneously release the first volume of the Freedom OVA in the North American and Japanese markets. Released in HD-DVD/DVD Twin, this will be the first-ever high-definition release of an anime title in North America. The MSRP for this Japanese-only, with English subtitles volume will be $39.99. Freedom will be released across a total of six volumes, and following the release, Bandai Visual plans to put out HD-DVD and Blu Ray versions of its other titles, first in Japan, and eventually, overseas. Source:

AnimeNewsNetwork

Maybe the newest incarnation of Macross will get the same treatment ??

As long as HG is here, expect someone to whine about the Macross license.

Not if it is "imjported" directly from Japan.

Then it falls under import laws and HG has no legal leg to block it... :p

In the 1970's, the majority of American movies exported and shown overseas featured male characters who were more often then not drunkards and abusive to the women they had relationships with. Now, some 25 to 35 years later, there is a generation of parents in Asia (and probably beyond) who have the image that all white males are abusive drunkards. A lot of these parents refuse to allow their daughters to see, let alone date, or even worse, marry, a white foreigner! (It’s not helping that the average eikaiwa white Engrish teacher doesn’t bother finding out what work and life will be like in Japan, and end up being drunk like a skunk most every night; in addition to “wham, bam, thank you ma’amâ€~ing every girl they can get their hands on. But that’s another story.)

Having grown up in the North American, or Western European culture, we all know that those movies from the 1970’s were merely characterizations to show the hero overcoming not only the villain, but the hero’s own flaws. However, outside of their cultural context, they have created a rather negative stereotype. The same thing has happened with Urutsukidoji (for a good half-a-decade, if not longer, at least one English country thought that Japanimation was only tentacle rape fluff.) In addition, how many of you have heard that Japanese (especially, but not limited to the men) are (sexual) perverts?

Three negative stereotypes all formed by things viewed from outside of their cultural context. Is it righteousness? No. Is it ethics? Possibly, as the material is an ambassador (like those Eikaiwa teachers...) for the country, and may very well form the future perceptions and reactions to the culture!

GAWD that is so true!

A friend of mine started dating a Japanese girl last year based on the assumption that Japanese girls were, shall we say "adventureous" in bed, dispite what I tried to tell him he went ahead anyway. Shortly in he was somewhat disappointed with their sex life.<_< .

They eventually broke up, mostly due to the language barrier, but she still keeps in touch. Very sweet lady, but not what my buddy was "expecting" based on his misinformed stereotype.

Basara annoys not because he's zen-non-confrontationally-cool. He annoys because he's arrogant, self-absorbed, devoid of empathy for those closest to him, unwilling to understand alternate viewpoints, one dimensional, and is convinced that he alone is in the right while completely lacking the humility of those in history who made peaceful resistance effective and attractive. And he has horrible fashion sense. His actions and attitude are justified only because of a contrived, fantasy plot device known as Spiritia that others aren't as able to leverage. So he's disliked not because of his approach. He's disliked because he handles his approach so poorly.

You know, we may have had our disagreements over the years, but then you go and post something like this and make me love you all over again.

According to someone on YouTube (maybe it's someone here). The theme for the upcoming Tokyo Anime Fair is the 25th Anniversary of Macross.

Hopefully they'll be some MAJOR news this Sunday.

I would suggest people on this thread who are debating me read "Wrong about Japan"...

Anyway, usually an artist in Japan dosn't have a great deal of control over their creations until after their first really succesful project. After that, they usually have a great deal of say.

Look at Naoko Takeuchi creator of Sailor Moon... she was so upset about the way the series was handled in anime form, that for a number of years she simply refused to let anything Sailor Moon be published (aside from the musicals, which she at least in name had creative control over from the beginning) and when, her demands were finally met by the studios she allowed Sailor Moon stuff to come out again, but this time ensured she had full control over the new TV adaptation.

So that showed that she did have full control over the series, she had the right to tell the studios not to touch it... and they had to meet her demands to start rebulishing the old material and create new material.

Re: your point - not everyone shares the same capitalist point of view. There are still plenty of people who won't do something, no matter the sum of money offered to them.

Yep take a look at Mamoru Oshii's interview in Japanorama's 2004 season, he said that no one involved in the artistic side cared about Ghost in the Shell being number 1 in America... It didn't matter to them, they just wanted to tell the stories they wanted to tell.

Refusing to have one's work translated and published in a foreign language isn't about righteousness nor ethics. For starters, the artist(s) may not understand that foreign language - thus they have no way to verify if their work has been translated correctly, or even adequately! Outside of it's cultural context, there's also the potential of the work not being understood, being completely misunderstood, or even creating a negative stereotype towards the source culture!

And it does create a negative sterotype... I saw someone saying Japan was the most perverted culture in the world, where does that come from? Well from Japanese hentai and erotica being pushed over here. Is Japan a sexually repressed country and a breeding ground in some ways for perverts? Yes, does that mean everyone or even a large percentage are more preverted then North Americans? No...

Anyway stepping outside of Animation artists. Take a look at Tokio, they refused to let their song, their voice, or their name be used in the english language release of Childs toy... to the point where Funimation had to cut the audio out of a few scenes. And why? because the lead singer of Tokio dosn't like americans... that's not the official reason of course, but it's a well known fact that he dosn't.

On the flip side their are authors like Yuu Watase of Fushigi Yuugi who stated she tries to keep Americans in mind when she creates her work. (I forget where I saw that interview I think it was included on one of the Ceres DVDs).

Shows like Macross, Mospeada, Gatchaman, Space Cruiser Yamato, Harlock, etc.... all have been butchered under the guise that Western audiences wouldn't understand it as presented or it was too mature in theme for audiences.

No they were butchured because they were less then 65 episodes (exempting Science Ninja Team here), and thus could not be syndicated daily.

In Japan 26 episodes, 26 weeks = half a year.

America 65 episodes/5 days a week= 13 weeks or a quarter of a year.

Back in the day you really wanted your cartoon to be the one the kids watched every day after school so you needed at least 65 episodes. Where as most shows in Japan are weekly, very few people especially students would have the time to follow a series every day in Japan.

Edited by lord_breetai

Confirming what Lord Breetai was saying.

In the manga world, unless the mangaka is famous, the editor is closely involved with the story of the mangas. Stories have to be reviewed and passed by an editor before they can be drawn. If the editor doesn't like it or thinks it's stupid, the mangaka has to redo it or the editor will tell them what they're going to do instead. Editors try to keep a series from going downhill by vetoing potentially uncommercial ideas, but of course that's at the cost of artistic freedom.

That's one reason there are few western mangaka in Japan, because of that major cultural difference in views on artistic freedom and comics.

Of course if the mangaka is famous and successful as hell, they have a lot more freedom and power. Like Naoko Takeuchi sends her editor to pick up doujinshi for her at comiket when she's busy doing manga. :lol: But when you look at the big picture and see how many really famous mangaka there are, versus how many mediocre mangaka there are, there isn't that much artistic freedom in the manga industry.

Back onto Macross. I'm on the edge of my seat, waiting to find out what's going to happen with the future of Macross!

You know, we may have had our disagreements over the years, but then you go and post something like this and make me love you all over again.

*Blush* I'd shake your hand if it weren't too small.

And up to now, I'd come to believe that you were an ever vigilant lurking tiger, never seen until you pounce and satiate your bloodlust upon those fanboys silly enough to reveal themselves on the Macross World forums.

This may be much more frightening.

However, outside of their cultural context, they have created a rather negative stereotype. The same thing has happened with Urutsukidoji (for a good half-a-decade, if not longer, at least one English country thought that Japanimation was only tentacle rape fluff.) In addition, how many of you have heard that Japanese (especially, but not limited to the men) are (sexual) perverts?

I assume you mean that Urotsukidoji isn't representative of anime, and that it gives a false impression of what anime entails when seen by its freaky purient itself. Otherwise, I'm not sure what context Urotsukidoji can be viewed in where it wouldn't be considered freakishly weird by most people, Japanese or otherwise. :p

According to someone on YouTube (maybe it's someone here). The theme for the upcoming Tokyo Anime Fair is the 25th Anniversary of Macross.

Hopefully they'll be some MAJOR news this Sunday.

Wow, if that's right, guys this is going to be huge!

Back onto Macross. I'm on the edge of my seat, waiting to find out what's going to happen with the future of Macross!

It's going to be about Gubaba all grown up and angry at the world. He is going to search for his lost family and get revenge on those who kidnapped them.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I assume you mean that Urotsukidoji isn't representative of anime, and that it gives a false impression of what anime entails when seen by its freaky purient itself. Otherwise, I'm not sure what context Urotsukidoji can be viewed in where it wouldn't be considered freakishly weird by most people, Japanese or otherwise. :p

Yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urotsukidoji#Legacy (see the 2nd paragraph.) I should revise my original post from "more than 5 years" to "about a decade" in light of what's written there, and pending how much stock the reader places in the information on wikipedia.

Tokyo Anime Fair's theme is Macross? Confirmation please! If it is, it's a MAJOR score.

It wouldn´t be totally unexpected if they actually devoted TAF to Macross, it´s the 25th anniversary after all, it would be actually lame if Macross didn´t have a major role in this TAF.

What I am really expectant about is whether or not they´ll tie this new series to the events in Zero. That would be absolutely wonderful.

Wow, that's quite high profile for Macross. I hope this rumor, if true, actually means there's substance behind this new Macross series and related products. I know we were told to expect things from Graham, but it's always nice to have the facts in our hot little hands as they say :)

Oh how I can only hope with bated breath that the new series will be a spin-off of Macross 7, which I am still to this day only on episode 20 something. And I've had the entire series for a long time. And it's really rare for me to own an entire series and not watch the whole thing. I guess what I'm really saying here is that I don't like Macross 7. I don't hate it, but I'm very close. Thank you, thank you.

Macross 7 is like meshing Robotech with the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Please, Kawamori, or however you spell your name, don't do this to us again. And to everyone who's pist about this here post, yes yes, I loved Macross zero, yes yes I know it came out after M7.

I want this new series to have a lead chick pilot character... you can even throw in a love triangle if you want... but only if it involves 1 guy, and another girl. :p Even better if you leave the guy out and throw in a more experienced big booby'd flight squad leader. Yeah that would be cool. No YAOI! Or even a hint of it!

FAN SERVICE SELLS ! ! ! CHING CHING.

Yes i know what fan service is, i recently just watched Ikki Tousen. YAY! :D I am fecking serious if you knockers doubt meh.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Basara annoys not because he's zen-non-confrontationally-cool. He annoys because he's arrogant, self-absorbed, devoid of empathy for those closest to him, unwilling to understand alternate viewpoints, one dimensional, and is convinced that he alone is in the right while completely lacking the humility of those in history who made peaceful resistance effective and attractive.

If you mean Gandhi, you may have a wrong opinion of him. Gandhi said that he loved people like Garibaldi who fought with weapons, which Gandhi considered wrong means, but still fought, and prefered that to people who did nothing ("I do believe that where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence"). Gandhi's means were mass civil disobedience. I will quote Wikipedia because is quicker than rewrite it myself:

Gandhi adopted his methodology of satyagraha (devotion to the truth), or non-violent protest, for the first time, calling on his fellow Indians to defy the new law and suffer the punishments for doing so, rather than resist through violent means. This plan was adopted, leading to a seven-year struggle in which thousands of Indians were jailed (including Gandhi himself on many occasions), flogged, or even shot, for striking, refusing to register, burning their registration cards, or engaging in other forms of non-violent resistance. While the government was successful in repressing the Indian protesters, the public outcry stemming from the harsh methods employed by the South African government in the face of peaceful Indian protesters finally forced South African General Jan Christiaan Smuts to negotiate a compromise with Gandhi.

and

"I would like you to lay down the arms you have as being useless for saving you or humanity. You will invite Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini to take what they want of the countries you call your possessions.... If these gentlemen choose to occupy your homes, you will vacate them. If they do not give you free passage out, you will allow yourselves, man, woman, and child, to be slaughtered, but you will refuse to owe allegiance to them."

Non-violence is only for the bravest of heart, those willing to bare their breasts to bullets.

Also, I hear that Basara is "devoid of empathy", "unwilling to understand alternate viewpoints" and "convinced that he alone is in the right", and yet the same people who say these things are faulty of this. They are convinced they alone are in the right because "this works only in a cartoon", they scorn such alternate viewpoint and definitively can't empathize with the character.

I feel this is long unresolved struggle between two different system of belief (you can see it at work in House M.D.). It is worthy to note that each system has its own way to work through life so each one find the other arrogant because it didn't spent time using its own way. In the social system you copy what others do, you spend time befriending them before telling them they are doing wrong, you show you wish to gain their approvation and such. In the intellectual (I'm lacking a better word) system you try to fix old craps that never really worked fine using innovating approaches, and you may be wrong or right but you have to try it out to see it if it really works, and what other people say doesn't matter because in the quest for truth you are alone. Truth is the secret keyword. The most intelligent people hold it in highest regard; even the aforementioned Gandhi did it. Truth is to defeat the illusory mantle of preconception and see the underlying mechanism of the universe thus turning entropy into cosmos (war can be seen as a phenomenon of entropy). If you really wish to understand an alternate point of view, meditate on this.

FV

If you mean Gandhi, you may have a wrong opinion of him.

I don't know enough to have a very strong opinion of Gandhi, but he was one of those that I had in mind. My main point was that those like him demonstrated humility even as they practiced peaceful resistance. Your description of him highlights that he could see past his own methods and was able to acknowledge others that dedicated their lives for a greater good, even if he disagreed with the specifics of their methods. Others I had in mind were Martin Luther King Jr. and Jesus.

Also, I hear that Basara is "devoid of empathy", "unwilling to understand alternate viewpoints" and "convinced that he alone is in the right", and yet the same people who say these things are faulty of this. They are convinced they alone are in the right because "this works only in a cartoon", they scorn such alternate viewpoint and definitively can't empathize with the character.

Okay, that's a bit of a stretch there. We're unempathetic because we think a certain anime character is annoying and his only vindication is the fantasy world built up to artifically justify his actions? Who are we unempathetic with exactly? Basara? If so, then I'm guilty as charged, and that's precisely my point -- that he's written in an unrealistic manner that makes him hard to empathize with if he were a real living person in our real life world. And if I were a writer, then the blame would be on my work when the audience fails to sympathize with a character, not on them for being unempathetic human beings.

I notice that you left out "devoid of empathy for those closest to him" from the list. Not that I'm personally offended or anything, but I do see lots of logical wrangling done here to paint real-life folks in a somewhat unflattering light just because they cite specific reasons for not liking the presentation of a fictional character. Also I'm not sure what "alternate viewpoint" you're offering that I'm not able to accept and empathize with -- that self-absorbed, self-righteous, uncommunicative, uncompromising pacifists *can* and do change the world, and that approach does win men and hearts in real life?

Anyway, I think I can make observations from history and note how portrayals of certain fictional characters are inconsistent with those observations without being "devoid of empathy". But I guess you're uncomfortable with me stating them as if they were irrefutable fact. My observations could be wrong. If so, then I'm welcome to why you think a self-absorbed, uncompromising pacifism is workable.

EDITED: For grammar. =P

Edited by Sundown

I just want a believable series, y'know, like every series except for *cough cough cough*. My heart will break if my favorite anime once again becomes some journey into the ridiculously absurd. I can see the merits in *cough cough cough* and I know that it wasn't intended to be like the rest of the Macross. It just seems to have appealed to a niche audience, while the original SDF Macross, Macross +, and Mac 0 (somewhat for Mac 0) have garnered the love of everyone. Regardless, for now, I'm betting that the new series will be meant to appease the old schoolers like myself. But, deep down, there's that lingering fear.

*electric guitar blasts in the background accompanied by a harmonica*

I want this new series to have a lead chick pilot character... you can even throw in a love triangle if you want... but only if it involves 1 guy, and another girl. :p Even better if you leave the guy out and throw in a more experienced big booby'd flight squad leader. Yeah that would be cool. No YAOI! Or even a hint of it!

FAN SERVICE SELLS ! ! ! CHING CHING.

Yes i know what fan service is, i recently just watched Ikki Tousen. YAY! :D I am fecking serious if you knockers doubt meh.

Your wish has been granted.

See:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443771/

Enjoy... :p

What I am really expectant about is whether or not they´ll tie this new series to the events in Zero. That would be absolutely wonderful.

Maybe.

However, traditionally Macross tends to jump generationally and we do not generally see "sequel" stories picking up events immediately or shortly after the previous show.

Maybe we'll get something in the era after the events of VF-X2. With Satelite involved we know the mecha animation will be quite cool! ;)

There is susbstance don't worry.

Graham

There you have it Graham opens the door a chinq to the room with no windows and everyone gets out thier suntan lotion.

It's going to be about Gubaba all grown up and angry at the world. He is going to search for his lost family and get revenge on those who kidnapped them.

:lol: I realize this is a joke... but Guvava's family was all eaten and Max rescued him. So there's no one to get revenge on and I wouldn't call it kidnapping.

But I'd like to see another Guvava in this series, Guvava rocked.

Edited by lord_breetai