Macross 25th Anniversary! New TV series coming!

wolfx

A.D.1995年

未知の時空震によって、銀河系の時間軸が複数に分岐。

A.D.1995,The Galaxy Time Coordinates to be changed with unknown spatial-temporal shaking.

Being a Chinese-American who has less difficulty with Japanese-kanji than hiragana, I'd like to reveal some additional detail to the info kresphy has kindly provided.

Here's my translation:

A.D.1995, Due to an unknown spatial-temporal disturbance / shaking (未知の時空震), the Galaxy's time axis (銀河系の時間軸) has split (分岐) into multiplicity / plurality (複数).

Dear Hory Froating Head, I seriously hope against a parallel / alternate universe Macross story. :(

Edited by John Focker

Dear Hory Froating Head, I seriously hope against a parallel / alternate universe Macross story. :(

Too late for that...we already have Macross II. :lol:

Hummingbird.....I wonder if that symbol was used due to a certain music group that did music for Macross.... <_<

Being a Chinese-American who has less difficulty with Japanese-kanji than hiragana, I'd like to reveal some additional detail to the info kresphy has kindly provided.

Here's my translation:

A.D.1995, Due to an unknown spatial-temporal disturbance / shaking (未知の時空震), the Galaxy's time axis (銀河系の時間軸) has split (分岐) into multiplicity / plurality (複数).

I was just about to post the same thing. Thats what I thought when I read

"A.D.1995,The Galaxy Time Coordinates to be changed with unknown spatial-temporal shaking."

Oh god a gundam style remix.

Could be a chance to rewrite stuff and give it new twists, or I could be a chance to get all confused like I am when ever I look at Gundam stuff.

So 1995 eh, That explains why the VF0 looks more advanced than the VF1. Coz its a diferent reality.

Here's my translation:

Spatial temporal disturbance = reset button

Wow. This development could mean quite the change for the franchise. A possible Macross reboot? I have to say, I never expected the idea. Of course, it's not like much can be gleaned from this little blurb, but it's just the implications of what it sounds like that are so attention grabbing :)

Could this possible interpretation of Macross 25 as a reboot be influenced by the results of the legal proceedings of the last few years? With a reboot, Big West basically reclaims everything Macross; from that point forward they have total control. But on the other hand, how different would it be from just producing a regular Macross sequel, which at most would have only minor connections to older Macross? Man, my head is spinning with questions!

Edited by Mr March

Spatial temporal disturbance reminds me of Space/Time Oscillation Bomb :wacko:

That little blurb/clarification does seem to point to an AU story for Macross, but it could just as easily be a way of referencing the defold of the ASS-1 (though the date does not jive). It's far too little information on which to make any coherent speculation.

oh lordy, I hope not. does this mean now Hikaru and Kamjin will be best friends, having to fight each other, and we'll have a month's worth of episodes where they fly around in circles and cry out each other's names?

Actually guys, if that 1995 thing was something added at the last moment to justify Macross zero better? or maybe it's the huge battle between the Bodol Fleet and the supervision army that led to the escape of ASS-1 and its subsequent crash on earth? the sign above the timeline that goes before the ASS-1 crash actually reads 20th century second half (can't read the rest tough), so i don't think there will be any Macross SEED.

Keep the hopes up!

Edited by Garrick

Actually guys, if that 1995 thing was something added at the last moment to justify Macross zero better? or maybe it's the huge battle between the Bodol Fleet and the supervision army that led to the escape of ASS-1 and its subsequent crash on earth? the sign above the timeline that goes before the ASS-1 crash actually reads 20th century second half (can't read the rest tough), so i don't think there will be any Macross SEED.

Keep the hopes up!

Or it may be BigWest's attempt to make the Macross II universe canon and develop more stories in that timeline... The possibilities of such a statement are pretty huge! :blink:

I think a reset wouldn't hurt if done properly. Besides, after 2047, the world is at peace (somewhat) and dealing environmental (?) issues. It might make more sense to reset and move everything to further down the time line to increase realism (ughhh.. i hate reality.. but anyway, now that we're already in 2007 and no signs of aliens invading earth yet.....)

Mmm... let me check:

1. School story.

2. Spatial temporal disturbance.

3. Possible residence planets.

Got it! A story about a group of kids in the U. N. SPACY academy onboard a beginhill class ship of a colonization fleet and they have to fight the ultimate supervision army strike. Maybe I'm too optimistic, what you think? ^_^

Or it may be BigWest's attempt to make the Macross II universe canon and develop more stories in that timeline... The possibilities of such a statement are pretty huge! :blink:

huge like a pile of elephant poo.

Keep the hopes up!

That's my guess too. The 1995 entry is just Kawamori detailing the current timeline. The entry that everyone should be focusing on is the 20XX date.

BUT, if Kawamori is indeed creating a Macross AU, then here's my pick for Macross 25's new heroes.

Typical-Stoners.jpg

Wow. This development could mean quite the change for the franchise. A possible Macross reboot? I have to say, I never expected the idea. Of course, it's not like much can be gleaned from this little blurb, but it's just the implications of what it sounds like that are so attention grabbing :)

Still, I sense a great disturbance in the Force, as if a million Macross fans screamed out in terror and were suddenly silenced...

Could this possible interpretation of Macross 25 as a reboot be influenced by the results of the legal proceedings of the last few years? With a reboot, Big West basically reclaims everything Macross; from that point forward they have total control.

But wouldn't that be the equivalent of them throwing up their hands and saying "you win, Tatsunoko -- take the flippin' franchise. We'll build our own Macross franchise, with blackjack and hookers..." :p (kudo points to anyone who got the reference)

Seriously, though, it would seem to be abandoning the field if that were the case. I can't see them just ditching for that given the time, money and energy they invested in fighting the case and its still-ambiguous status. It may be though, that the Hoary Froating Head is finally sick of people asking about Minmay, Misa, Hikaru, Max, Millia, Isamu, Myung, (even) Basara and the rest of the familiar characers and decided to reboot to finally have a virgin Macross universe with all-new characters. Besides, if Tatsunoko wanted to be really pissy, so long as it has the Macross name they could declare it one of the "derivatives" that are being fought over no matter what universe it's set in. And we know that a certain stateside company would follow suit, so I can't see what they would stand to gain if that were the reason.

I will admit that the capsule description sounds faintly reminiscent of the final text in the very last AD&D module "Die, Vecna, Die!" which was supposed to set up for Greyhawkers to move from AD&D to D&D 3.0:

Even with Vecna's removal, his time in the crux effected change in superspace. Though the Lady of Pain attempts to heal the damage, the turmoil spawned by Vecna's time in Sigil cannot be entirely erased. Some Outer Planes drift off and are forever lost, others collide and merge, while at least one Inner Plane runs "aground" on a distant world of the Prime. Moreover, the very nature of the Prime Material Plane itself is altered. Half-worlds like those attached to Tovag Baragu multiply a millionfold, taking on parallel realism in what was before a unified Prime Material Plane. The concept of alternate dimentions rears its metaphorical head, but doesn't yet solidify, and perhaps it never will. New realms, both near and far, are revealed and realms never previously imagined make themselves known. Entities long thought lost emerge once more, while other creatures, both great and small, are inexplicably eradicated. Some common spells begin to work differently. The changes do not occur immediately, but instead are revealed during the subsequent months. However, one thing remains clear: Nothing will ever be the same again.

I'm not a big fan of AUs in general, though. UC-era Gundam ruled. Wing and the others were really 'meh' (though I admit I haven't seen V Gundam yet -- I've heard that one was pretty good). I hope JJ Abrams does not make an AU Trek (though all signs, blessedly, point to him giving us an honest-to-god TOS adventure, just with a dab of new paint and costuming). Give me the original and I'm happy.

Edited by Pat Payne

Or it may be BigWest's attempt to make the Macross II universe canon

I think it's too far to go for too little return. I like MacII but I don't think there is any commercial reason to revisit it. Besides, all they have to do make it canon is say "it's canon". The only concrete reason it's not canon is SK didn't work on it and doesn't want to acknowledge it.

I don't think a complete reboot is a commercial winner either. I can see an updated retelling of the SDF but we've been there before with DYRL.

I'd like to see something with less SK, a coherent plot, and more lingering views of mecha.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was a reboot. When Prequels were all the rage we got Zero and now rebooting franchises is the cool thing to do, so here comes Macross25 or flyer or whatever it's called. I'm somewhat torn. On one hand a reboot could be interesting, but on the other if they are just following the trend that does not bode well for the "originality" of the new series. I guess only time will tell.

Edited by Crazy Canuck II

I guess it just depends on what direction they want the reboot to go. If they're going to follow after zero and 7 and make macross increasingly more about the metaphysical... than, I would be pretty ambivalent about it.

I guess it just depends on what direction they want the reboot to go. If they're going to follow after zero and 7 and make macross increasingly more about the metaphysical... than, I would be pretty ambivalent about it.

I don't see Kawamori doing a reboot at this point, if that were the case, then likely he'd just do something entirely different, or just straight up walk away (as Tomino did), but we'll see. As for those still complaining with Kawamori's direction for Macross, I say again, if you want Macross to be an average mecha series, then go watch an average mecha series.

Agreed. Besides, Kawamori wasn't involved in Macross II and that isn't exactly the best product in the franchise is it?

You´ve got a point there.

I personally think all this ¨reboot theory¨ is just plain paranoia, like the ¨cat on character´s shoulder panic theory¨. To be honest, I´m far more worried about the growing number of fans gratuitously nitpicking the upcoming new series than the potentialy drug-induced story Kawamori might deliver.

I have faith in the fact that there are more people behind this new series than just Kawamori. I´ll base my judgement on the last production i.e. Macross Zero, and as far as I know, the mayority of us enjoyed it (and that is a good enough reason to set it apart from M7), the only reason it wasn´t 100% perfect was the fact that they rushed the story, otherwise it would be up there with Plus and DYRL.

You people need to remember how much time we´ve been waiting for a new TV series, so please, have some faith, not just in Kawamori, but on all the other guys working on this.

As a matter of fact, despite Basara and the whole spiritia thing I enjoied M7 far more then Zero. While the animation in Zero was amazing as usualy happens for an OAV compared to a serie, the story really started to sink after the second OAV. M7 at last developed the story and we discovered some new information about the protoculture, the status of the fleets and life of normal people on the colonial ships (no galactica pun intended =P).

I found much more bearable the spiritial then the shaman gal flying rocks and stuff around while singing...

I don't see Kawamori doing a reboot at this point, if that were the case, then likely he'd just do something entirely different, or just straight up walk away (as Tomino did), but we'll see. As for those still complaining with Kawamori's direction for Macross, I say again, if you want Macross to be an average mecha series, then go watch an average mecha series.

It's not about me wanting an average mecha series. I just want something that looks and feels like it belongs in the same universe as SDFM and DYRL, Mac Plus and even Zero. All in all, I thought Zero did a good job of expanding on ideas started in SDFM and DYRL. I didn't mind the floating rocks all that much. I just don't want a series that forgets that primarily, it's a sci-fi show based on technology and goes increasingly into the metaphysical.

Honestly though, I don't think a reboot is going to happen. Those valk designs we've seen seem obviously in line with the work kawamori did with the yf-21 and vf-22.

Well didn't Kawamori do a reboot already? I think it was called "MACROSS: Do You Remember Love"! LOL! Wasn't SK going to replace SDF Mac with DYRL as the real universe? If it wasn't for Mac 2(that's tied closely to DYRL) DYRL would be canon & not relegated as "Historical Fiction". I'm not surprised their doing an AU or even totally throwing out the old continuity. I stated before BW should distance itself from the old series & let HG have it.

Still, I sense a great disturbance in the Force, as if a million Macross fans screamed out in terror and were suddenly silenced...

But wouldn't that be the equivalent of them throwing up their hands and saying "you win, Tatsunoko -- take the flippin' franchise. We'll build our own Macross franchise, with blackjack and hookers..." :p (kudo points to anyone who got the reference)

*snip*

...And we know that a certain stateside company would follow suit, so I can't see what they would stand to gain if that were the reason.

LOL :)

Seriously, I would have to agree with you. I suppose Big West would be "throwing in the towel" if they went the route I'm guessing they might have. But keep in mind that some business plans hedge bets based of risk and long term planning. When the legal proceedings began a few years back, it's possible Big West had a meeting that maybe went something like this: "Look, we want to do something for the Macross 25th Anniversary that's coming up in few years. We're gonna throw a budget of half a million at the legal angle and see if we can solve the Macross copyright issues to our satisfaction. If we win, great. If we get some half-baked compromise ruling, we go ahead with a reboot and take over Macross as a reinvention of the old franchise". Of course, this is a LOT of speculation, but all I've got is questions and no answers right now. Until something solid comes out, I'm trying to rationalize what a little blurb means in the latest Macross chronology. Who knows, maybe it won't even be that big a deal :)

You people need to remember how much time we´ve been waiting for a new TV series, so please, have some faith, not just in Kawamori, but on all the other guys working on this.

Hey, not all of us are doom-and-gloom with the notion of a reboot :) I'm quite indifferent either way, the only reaction I've had to the reboot concept is surprise. I never expected that particular possibility for the Macross franchise. However, until I see the show so I can get a read on the new series (good or bad), I'm gonna remain excited and interested. I like the scraps of the series we've seen so far. I'm eager to see more.

The only thing I'm dreading is a lack of line art for Macross 25. For obvious reasons, I'm just praying for some published books :):lol:

Well didn't Kawamori do a reboot already? I think it was called "MACROSS: Do You Remember Love"! LOL!

Nah. It's somewhat typical to slightly revise various elements of an anime television series when creating the film version. I think of DYRL? (and other such examples like the Escaflowne movie) as remixes more than anything else :)

Personally, I'm reserving comment until further information is released on the series.

That said, I have some critical questions about the latest wind blowing up the fan-boys' skirts:

How closely tied is the source text to the powers-that-be whom control the Macross property?*

How accurate is the translation?**

* I see TAF (Tokyo Anime Fair,) but no Big West, Studio Nue, or even Bandai (not that they have much to do with Macross aside from sponsoring it and releasing licensed products based off of it.)

** As has already been proven in this thread (the 1/4 of a century thingy,) translating is a very delicate process, often rife with errors if one doesn't have a deep familiarity with the source language and topic.

Edited by sketchley

And you wonder why I'm just waiting for an official announcement....

Also, this wouldn't be the first time Kawamori has revised the official timeline. He revised it when he did M7 and that allowed for M0. But considering that "20XX" appeared in that screenshot, I'm guessing this series might be be far enough away from the the current timeframe of M7/VF-X2 to not have any ties to any older series except name and concept. Going by the fact that the target audience has probably not seen SDFM or were too young when M7 appeared, I would see this as a reboot for the modern audience, not us. He may still keep within the general continuity but he's moved this series out far enough to not be influenced by any previous TV series.

That said, I have some critical questions about the latest wind blowing up the fan-boys' skirts:

On that note, have any of you guys questioned where anybody is getting these rumors? Some of it is coming off the Chinese forums which may be coming off the 2ch boards or official Macross boards. So there's a bit of lost-in-translation syndrome there.