Macross 25th Anniversary! New TV series coming!

wolfx

Hmm, "Watashi no Kare Kano wa Piloto" I'd watch it ;)

Yeah, actually, so would I. Macross has always been a soap opera with mecha. I just hope that if this new series is set in high school (a big if), it avoids all things super-robot.

Why are they making a(nother) Macross series aimed at teenagers? Because us older Macross fans from both the SDF:M and Macross 7/Plus eras ARE NOT PROFITABLE to the people who ultimately make money off of Macross ...

You know, it's kinda amazing that lot of people still have trouble realizing this. SDFM was made for kids in the 80s. M+/M7 for kids of the 90s, now we have this new show made for kids of today.

You know, it's kinda amazing that lot of people still have trouble realizing this. SDFM was made for kids in the 80s. M+/M7 for kids of the 90s, now we have this new show made for kids of today.

That is very true.

Besides everyone keeps asking why there isn't more Macross merchandise, and well, with a series like this aimed at the present generation, more merchandise is now possible. Maybe yamato won't be the only game in town for toys. Maybe bandai might finally reissue the DYRL 1/55 valk trio(strike, elint, etc). Maybe we won't have to wait another 5 years for a new Macross. Maybe this is a good thing.

Oh God, the George Lucas prequels argument. "Made for kids" does not excuse people stepping in poo and fart jokes in Star Wars. And it doesn't excuse some of the poor choices Kawamori has made in the past 15 years.

And I know things are a tad different in Japan, but Macross Plus was NOT aimed at kids. Neither was Zero, for that matter.

I wouldn't say they are aimed for kids.....but teenagers to adults. Anyway its not so unbelievable if the next macross series revolves around 16 year old kids in an ace fighter academy. Hikaru himself was only 16 when he boarded the SDF.

I don't know about you guys but i hope this new series brings Macross to a bigger audience like Bandai Sunrise shows (Gundam, Eureka 7, Code Geass, Mai Hime) instead of just staying in a niche audience.

I think we should reserve judgement until after seeing it, and until after giving it some time to perculate through our systems.

Yes, since SK appears to be directly involved with this project, who knows where it could go?

Why are they making a(nother) Macross series aimed at teenagers? Because us older Macross fans from both the SDF:M and Macross 7/Plus eras ARE NOT PROFITABLE to the people who ultimately make money off of Macross (these are the same people who sponsor Macross productions, BTW.) The low financial returns on Macross Zero, despite it's warts and hair, is quite evident to this.

Well as already stated, a weak story is more to blame for that show's performance not necessarily the demographic it aimed at (who, by the way would have higher standards than children would). Poor stories or execution of stories are universally panned by any fanbase, regardless of where they reside.

Therefore, the next series continues the trend of all Macross productions by aiming at a previously unaware of Macross demographic. With luck, they will turn into Macross fans, and spend enough money to warrant more new productions, wheither that be animation, live action, game, or drama CD.

Considering Macross is one of the few anime titles "stuck" in the Japanese market, this is no surprise.

For all of those in-name-only fans who moan and bemoan the direction that the new Macross series is being rumoured as going in, please keep in mind that it's your own damn fault for not putting money where your mouth is and negatively commenting on Macross, its creators, and especially Mr. Shoji Kawamori to the point that they want nothing to do with this website, and ignore any and all positive suggestions put forward by the membership.

I find this hard to believe. The official BBS in Japan have fans expressing their "concern" as well. If BW is looking for bobbleheads they might as well keep talking to their marketing departments, because the net is no place for that, even in Japan.

"Fans-in-name-only", always makes me laugh, it's like the republicans calling those with opposing opinions "Americans-in-name-only"... :rolleyes:

Whether Studio Nue & BW staffers frequent this site or not is not really known and they'd certainly not identify themselves as such either.

The principal reason why western fans are not heard is because we are more of an "aftermarket" thanks to the fact that no one is willing to pony up the money to challenge HG's claim of monopoly on the franchise.

Thus there are no licensing or merchandising revenues to be gained from North American fans by the franchise owners, like is available to the creators of GIS and Evangelion.

Mac Plus was better received here than Japan because it was a more westernized story and themes, whereas Mac 7 was more popular with it's demographic because of it's much more asian story and themes. No real surprises there.

True, however, the demographic was more toward the latter teens than early teens which appears to be where M7 was aimed. Also remember that prior to the Otaku killer incident in Japan, there wasn't a social stigma on adults who enjoyed anime as there was in the 90's and to a lesser extent now.

Now if the show is indeed about a UN Spacy Academy, that would be interesting to see, if they do it well and treat their audience with a measure of intelligence...

Look on the bright side, it's not going to be a story about news reporters... :p

Sorry MII fans, couldn't resist that pot shot. ;)

Seeing a UN Spacy training academy would actually be kind of cool. I just hope they keep the sentai parody to a minimum, leave it back in M7. I'm also hoping for a cool Jenius daughter to be in the series (as opposed to an annoyance like Mylene.) :)

===============================================

Last update:

Jun.12, 2007

2:36(Japan Standard Time)

===============================================

Jun.12, 2007

This is Jul.NewType.

IPB Image

In the page 92-93, there are some setting pics about New Macross Heroine and New Valkyrie.

Maybe the new Heroine is Lolita(ロリキャラ), the history settings is human and Zentraedi together live.

But...

Because the copyrights, the Japanese Fans could not give me pics...

I want look it~~~~

T T

Edited by kresphy

Look on the bright side, it's not going to be a story about news reporters... :p

Sorry MII fans, couldn't resist that pot shot. ;)

Well considering how much "luv"( :p ) M7 has been getting in this thread, someone had to take a shot at Mac II eventually... :rolleyes:

Edited by Zinjo

I'm scared :unsure:

I'm scared too..... Shool story. ???? A joke ??? No... Worse... A NIGHTMARE..... .... I hope...... We must pray for this.... I pray Kawamori....Please.... Not a school story.... Don't destroy Macross.... Please....

Edited by odr78

(Macross Zero) was not that profitable because not a whole of people liked it a whole lot.

But what most of us didn't like was the erratic story and lack of resolution. There was nothing wrong with the character or mecha designs and very little to complain about the mostly excellent animation. The Macross producers have the static design stuff down pat. If they hire decent animators that's covered. It's the story telling choices they make that fark it up as far as I'm concerned (SK I'm looking right at you...). The fact that the Macross OAV's were not very successful in Japan confirms my belief that J-fans want story too, just like me.

The fact that the Macross OAV's were not very successful in Japan confirms my belief that J-fans want story too, just like me.

OAVs in general have declined over the years since OAVs get less press time compared to TVs or movies. Erratic release times, buying something that no one has seen beyond promotional material,... etc. Chances of a show airing on TV are greater. Chances of a net OAV are greater these days now, but still lower than a TV or movie release. M0 took almost a year to come out from start to finish. To keep interest going, people have to be reminded of it and a OAV can't do if it has an erratic release schedule.

I'm scared too..... Shool story. ???? A joke ??? No... Worse... A NIGHTMARE..... .... I hope...... We must pray for this.... I pray Kawamori....Please.... Not a school story.... Don't destroy Macross.... Please....

God no.... :unsure::unsure:

[sarcasm]My theory is that Kawamori has never stopped hating macross since the day he left and Macross II came to be.

That´s why he made M+ so damn good, to make us crave for more and then destroy our childhood with M7 and then this school story. [/sarcasm] :lol::mellow:

I think M0 main fault was that it was released as an OVA. If it had been broadcasted as a TV series I´m sure we wouldn´t be complaining about plot development or weak characters ( things I personally disagree with).

The thing is, the japanese audience wants a more wacky M7-ish macross, with clown faces and monsters of the week kinda story. We want the more mature , M+ish side of Macross. Macross Zero, although lacking in some aspects, was closer to M+, hence its failure in japan ( and, its an OVA).

Unfortunately, the only other tv series we´ve had is M7 and since it did so good, I wouldn´t be surprised if they repeat the formula.

With all that in mind, M7 failed, but still within the Macross canon...now, school drama macross ? that, is a whole lot different, and out of canon IMO.

Why won´t Kawamori just give us a VF-X2 TV series ? I blame it on drugs.

A macross about cannon fodder. :D Maybe they can make a spiky haired character that looks like hikaru and a teenage girl that looks just like minmay, and the exact same thing happens but in more new valks?

Boy meets girl/s, girl almost gets killed, boy saves girl using the robot like a knight saving the princess from the clutches of a monster. (protodevlin)

A jealous girl who is focused on duty scolds the boy and away you go... remake of SDF: macross. Add a older Sempai character to get older audiences to watch, who eventually dies, (passing on the responsibility of leading others to the immature kid) and a geeky looking kid who knows too much about the valkyries for his age who becomes the "dark horse" who comes out of nowhere to kick ass. Just show me the vf-11 in well animated sequences against zentradi powered armor and I'll be happy.

After this takes off all the fans who wanted to know what happen to minmay hikaru and misa after sdfm can shut up because these people look just like the original characters in SdfM hehe

Then after that, they can make that destroid side story about being stuck in a enemy zone cut off from air support and forced to survive with limited ammo, which leads to mospeada type "end of level" boss.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Here you go, even a trailer to go with it. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIKFle5sXDM...ted&search=

J/K, trying to relieve a little bit of anger at the possibility of school kids in valks.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...That's just plain evil..... :lol: How come Big West is allowing that Space Gandam V stuff to continue to be sold? MACROSS School.....Maybe it'll be like Starfleet Academy but with Valks!

The thing is, the japanese audience wants a more wacky M7-ish macross, with clown faces and monsters of the week kinda story. We want the more mature , M+ish side of Macross. Macross Zero, although lacking in some aspects, was closer to M+, hence its failure in japan ( and, its an OVA).

I didn't realize you spoke for Japan. Thanks for enlightening us.

The whole idea of teenagers being in it doesn't scare me. It doesn't mean the show itself has to be immature. It might allow the audience to "learn" what the valkyrie is all about the same as we did through shin's eyes in macross zero when roy was explaining the point of the 3 modes.

It might be done well for a noob audience who is not familiar with the macross valks if they present it like that in zero: ie the tf is "new" (non-familiarity of controls since the characters are inexperienced) and be just the right thing to pad the series. (instead of macross 7 showing the already-good pilots doing their thing and no emphasis on the three modes and 'danger') I liked that about zero, shin had to slow down to transform and the pilot couldn't just do whatever he liked.

If it sucks, I will still end up watching. I wonder how smooth the animation on the series will be? Maybe if popular enough it will get an ova or movie like what DYRL was to SDFM?

I don't know why people keep bashing macross II. It wasn't that bad. It jJust didn't add much to what the original already had in it. Just the usual "war is bad, make love and hug things rather than kill things", that is the standard for all these types of shows. I hope they add some more mystery in this tv series which leads to new info about the pc that we haven't seen yet.

Sorry. The law is the law.

Now if someone were in a country with different copyright laws (specifically those that allow excerpts for review purposes) were to pick up the magazine, then that's a different story.

For all of those in-name-only fans who moan and bemoan the direction that the new Macross series is being rumoured as going in, please keep in mind that it's your own damn fault for not putting money where your mouth is and negatively commenting on Macross, its creators, and especially Mr. Shoji Kawamori to the point that they want nothing to do with this website, and ignore any and all positive suggestions put forward by the membership.

Funniest statement made on Macross World EVAR! I'm putting this puppy in my sig!

Edited by Duke Togo

haha...errr...anyway, ok, it's popular for anime to be mostly about teenager and stuff to apeal the main viewer age in Japan that are kids and teenagers, but still, I want a Macross story that make sense, that's smart, I remember when I was kid that I could still tell when a story didn't made sense and thourougly enjoying smart tv shows, just because I'm a kid doesn't mean that I can't enjoy a smart story...

I remember when I used to watch Robotech, and I was just like 8 or something, that the macross saga was the best, southern cross and mospeada didn't made sense and I kept buggind my older brother why was the SDF-1 3 pile of durt in Southern cross....

in fact, the tv station aired, Sailor moon, Dragon ball Z and Robotech all the same day, and I hated sailer moon cause it was sooo stupid, and Dragon ball was incredibly retarted (I'm the strongest now...no, I'm the strongest now, BOOOM, we blew up the world.... now I'm the strongest), I mean, C'mon!!! Kids enjoy quality storytelling also...

I want to see good character developement, and I would absolutely love proper military warfare... like... sending VF-17 for deep stealth strikes to bring down early RWR, then let heavy haevy armored vf-11 in to destroy hardened capital ships scorted by vf-19's for space superiority and the use of vf-22 for special operations... stuff like that...

I would like it to go in the direction of space exploration. They have macronised guvava pets who have brain wave controls, and like the zentradi in dyrl who have their brain controlling their ships, they use animals to do the dangerous jobs nobody else will do. (like how humans might experiment on animals before using on humans) The guvava's are smart enough to control valks from training at the academy.

Something goes wrong, we lose contact with the guvava clones (who pilot the valks to gather info on different planets) and humans discover some ancient ruins of pc with its automatic defenses activated. Then a team of destroids is sent down there to retrieve the wreckage of the valks that got shot down, and they are forced to fight their way out as they lose contact while inside the ruins. Indiana jones mixed with resident evil.

As they get closer down into the abandoned labs of the pc, its discovered that all that was written about humans and zentradi is a lie, we all originated from the protodevlin creatures that lived in the sub-universe and this explains why we are so warlike and need to spread apart. The subuniverse is overpopulated and had to spread some of the most evil being into our world to lessen the damage we would do by living there. This causes all out confusion and people refuse to believe it and want to bomb the ruins to hide the truth. Can our destroid team make it off in time before the planet is destroyed?

The destroid pilots decide to enter a gate to the subuniverse knowing they can't make it off in time and they meet hikaru misa and minmay along with the missing parts of the sdf1 from SDF: macross that vanished when global folded for the first time and left them stranded in space for a year. They discover that they are now characters in the robotech universe and stranded in that world forever! :D Hikaru changed his name to Rick, Misa is lisa, and minmay is minmei. That concludes the end of all macross shows.. A movie and tv series is made about macross in the subuniverse called SDF:Macross which is a classic tv series watched by many who subconsciously have an ancient memory of the events that happened outside the subuniverse and are drawn to watching the show. In the future those people in the subuniverse become the "protodevlin" that get sucked into the macross universe and possess people's bodies having forgot their origins and feeding off other people's lifeforce like a parasite instead of creating their own. (as seen in macross 7. The PD = HarmonyGold trying to feed off all the old japanese mecha shows' animation instead of creating them :D)

I want to see good character developement, and I would absolutely love proper military warfare... like... sending VF-17 for deep stealth strikes to bring down early RWR, then let heavy haevy armored vf-11 in to destroy hardened capital ships scorted by vf-19's for space superiority and the use of vf-22 for special operations... stuff like that...

That would be the coolest but with Kawamori`s track record of pacifist storylines I cant see it happening. Then again most of the best and most accurate war movies are anti-war movies.

For all of those sweating bullets about potential secrets revealed in the Newtype article -

stop.

It's really not that impressive. Of the three pages in the magazine devoted to the article, one is on the Macross 25th Anniversary Live concert "Minmay meets Fire Bomber", and another is on the 'Genealogy of song and fight' (Macross History), with little bits on all the Macross anime (inclusive of Macross II) released to date.

The article has a picture of Mr. Kawamori sitting behind a half-transformed lego model of what is presumably the main VF in the new TV series. The caption of the picture mentions that (with using lego) it takes 1/3 of the time to design a transforming vehicle.

Macross 25 is only a temporary title (I guess what Hollywood describes as a "working title") of this new TV series.

There are 11 doodles (as they cannot be described as anything even remotely close to finished lineart). 7 are of a VF or VFs in fighter and battroid modes, 4 are of various characters.

Characters: young, or youthful, but they could be anywhere from the late teens to early 20's, with only one looking like she's from the early teens. One has a cat on the shoulder. It is a fairly realistic looking cat. It could be a mascot, or just something to add character to the character. Two (possibly three) characters have "pointy" ears. I'm not sure if they are Zentraedi, Zolan, or a heretofor unmentioned alien race.

VFs: it should be noted that all of the images are some shade of neon on a dark blue background. Therefore, all of the VFs could be the same one, or there could be 3 new VFs in the works (though I'm leaning towards only 1, given the similarities between them.) There are some features that remind me of the VF-22, VF-5000, as well as that fighter from Kissdom, in addition to Eureka 7. It should be strongly emphasized that these are doodles, and as much as we'd like to read into them, we probably shouldn't read anything into them. (The scribbles and scrawls are in the same style as his rough drawing of the SDF-1 in the "Kawamori Shoji Design Works" book.)

Because of that, the only thing that I can say with any certainty is that the legs and feet of this new VF are quite different from what we've seen to date in VFs. (this is based on one scribble focused on them, and the lego model.) Anything more would be speculation.

Some fun facts:

Macross Plus Remaster Box: 15540 JPY, 320 min. HD remaster. 4 OVA episodes, movie edition + special disc. 4 discs total + booklet.

Macross 7 Remaster Box 1: 39900 JPY, 787 min. first 1/2 of the series, booklet, music video(s), illustration, etc.

Macross 7 Remaster Box 2: 39900 JPY, 707 min. last 1/2 of the series, 3 extra episodes, (and if I'm reading it correctly,) the movie, and Macross Dynamite 7.

Thanks Duke, and I'd like to remind everyone that this article is literally on the bleeding-edge of news surrounding Macross 25.

Put bluntly: there's nothing solid (aside from it being a Macross TV series), and we can rest assured that the creators behind the project are working hard developing characters, mecha, and the storyline. Therefore, we should cool the speculation until some more substantive news is released.

Characters: young, or youthful, but they could be anywhere from the late teens to early 20's, with only one looking like she's from the early teens. One has a cat on the shoulder. It is a fairly realistic looking cat. It could be a mascot, or just something to add character to the character. Two (possibly three) characters have "pointy" ears. I'm not sure if they are Zentraedi, Zolan, or a heretofor unmentioned alien race.

VFs: it should be noted that all of the images are some shade of neon on a dark blue background. Therefore, all of the VFs could be the same one, or there could be 3 new VFs in the works (though I'm leaning towards only 1, given the similarities between them.) There are some features that remind me of the VF-22, VF-5000, as well as that fighter from Kissdom, in addition to Eureka 7. It should be strongly emphasized that these are doodles, and as much as we'd like to read into them, we probably shouldn't read anything into them. (The scribbles and scrawls are in the same style as his rough drawing of the SDF-1 in the "Kawamori Shoji Design Works" book.)

Thanks your description~~~

^^