Macross 25th Anniversary! New TV series coming!

wolfx

Hello! It's strange that no one has posted something here yet, but the Official Site has been updated with some news that, according to my limited Japanese, is interesting:

Apparently there is going to be a broadcast of... MACROSS 7 (!!!). Is it the movie? the re-run of the TV series?? WHY Macross 7???

In my ideal world:

Since Macross Zero ended, Mr. Kawamori would have been secretly working in Macross 7 and, in a flash of Lucas-ism, decided to re-edit the series (hey, even Anno is "rebuilding" Evangelion)... making it shorter (36 eps), including footage from The Galaxy Is Calling Me and some of the "Macross 7 plus" segments from the LDs / DVDs... and using Fire Bomber's bigger musical library (so that we not only hear Planet Dance every single time that Basara sings). He would also realize that piloting a VF-19 with a guitar-shaped stick is too much so he would edit that as well.

Since Bandai would be a sponsor again (I imagine they still have the rights), the toy division would notice how Yamato's valks sell and they would decide to release a full series like their Gundam HCM Pro... in smaller scale but detailed, fully transformable without removable parts. We would finally have a VF-22, VF-17 and the best thing: same scale for everything. That way even whole playsets could be released...

And Bandai-Namco would release the first of the Macross PS3 games... ^_^

And all of this in preparation of the NEW series...

~ end of dream ~

I hope someone can translate the news in the Official Site :D

Edited by GGemini

woa!! he got an optimistic here! hahahhaa

mmm...i actually wouldn't want any more macross 7 unless it's mentioned as something that just happened, I want to see no more Basara or fire bomber no more, just like the Hikaru, Misa and Mimmei, they are not to be discussed about anymore, hahahahhaa

Hello! It's strange that no one has posted something here yet, but the Official Site has been updated with some news that, according to my limited Japanese, is interesting:

Apparently there is going to be a broadcast of... MACROSS 7 (!!!). Is it the movie? the re-run of the TV series?? WHY Macross 7???

hey hey

I think this news is no profit to us, so I didn't update it yesterday.

The news said that Macross 7(TV) will be rebroadcasted in Television KANAGAWA(テレビ神奈å·ï¼‰ and Mainichi Broadcasting System(毎日放é€ï¼‰on Apr.2007 for Macross 25th celebration.

In Japan, these Macross fans believe Macross 7 better than Macross TV and Movie, because when the TV debut in 1982, the guys are baby, they first watch the TV in Macross 15th, later Macross 7 debut, the young generation do not like Minmay's softness song, they like Basara's rock~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I like Macross 7 too, because I like Max and Proto Devil, too cooooooooooooool~~~~~~~~~~~

I do not like Macross TV, because Robotech...

*^_^*

Edited by kresphy

So there you have guys:

The secret TV series for the 25th anniversary is actually...wait for it...MACROSS SEVEN !!!... BOMBA !!! :p

:rolleyes::wacko::ph34r::o:mellow::(

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, back to reality.

Wasn´t Satelight and BW going to announce something after TAF ?

I haven´t heard a single rumor in the last days. Not even a formal ¨yeah, we´ll start working on Macross as soon as we milk the heck out of Kissdum¨ :mellow:

Why M7??? Because it was the last televised series, perhaps?????? The last Macross series that aired that most people have seen is M7, so their just working off that. People who watched M7 as kids now get a chance to relive it as 20-somethings.

And all it says is M7 will be rebroadcast every night starting in April.

Oh, and....BOMBA!!!!!

Great way to rekindle interest in the series and maybe get some of the younger generation interested in Macross before dropping a new series into everyone's lap.

What the hell, I've been stockholmed already... BOMBA!!!

If Bandai decided they'd bring some competition against Yamato. If Bandai put as much effort, energy, money, and spirit as they've done with the Saint Seiya Saint Cloth Myth line and re-did the M7 valkyries... I'd pick up a VF-17, a VF-22, a VF-19P, and a VF-5000.

But I don't see that happening. :p

What I am curious about, as much as about the new series, is what the toy situation will be with the new series.

In Japan, these Macross fans believe Macross 7 better than Macross TV and Movie, because when the TV debut in 1982, the guys are baby, they first watch the TV in Macross 15th, later Macross 7 debut, the young generation do not like Minmay's softness song, they like Basara's rock~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*^_^*

IMPOSSIBLE.

That's why the younger generation is lost these days. If they only knew the amount of love that was put into SDF:M and M:DYRL they'd understand. <_<

Macross 7 = 12 year old TV series. SDF:M = 25 year old TV series.

Not only is Macross 7 newer, it's also more relevant - as in the social themes, circumstances and so on mentioned, explored, and hinted at in the series.

And for all of those frettng about SDF:M - it WAS rebroadcast, sometime in 1992, if I'm not mistaken. Macross 7 isn't treading on new territory at all here, what with being rebroadcast et al.

The true coup would be if Bandai visual released Macross 7 here in sub only box sets...BOMBA!!

As frightening a prospect as that is, it is quite possible as an "import" title, unless Bandai wants to fight to free the Macross name....

As for the re-broadcast, it only makes good business sense.

Regardless of how anyone feels, it is the most recent and has modern animation compared to SDFM.

Since old school Macross fans won't come out of the closet in Japan, the producers will cater to the younger fanbase as any studio would.

How it is more relevant with current social themes I don't know. However the music is more contemporary 90's J-pop as opposed to the 80's J-pop of SDFM, thus would be better received by the target audience.

Edited by Zinjo

Man, if they prime Japan for a new series by re-hashing Mac7 it almost certainly means they're going to try to lure in an audience of 10 year-olds which bodes poorly for what the new series will be aimed at. Oh well.

Why M7??? Because it was the last televised series, perhaps?????? The last Macross series that aired that most people have seen is M7, so their just working off that. People who watched M7 as kids now get a chance to relive it as 20-somethings.

And all it says is M7 will be rebroadcast every night starting in April.

Oh, and....BOMBA!!!!!

Eh...these young whippersnappers woudn't know quality if'n it stepped on their toes...

Oh yes, before I forget... PUROTOKURUCHAAAA!!

25 Anniversary!!!!!

......of SDF Macross....why the hell would they rebroadcast M7 when it's only the 12th anniversary for M7????

.....I'm going to find a nice, quiet place and open my belly.

Edited by peter

I understand people disliking the old 80's Mimmei pop music if it's not of someones taste, but I can't understand why would people prefer Macross 7 over the original, here's my take on it:

let's say my first experience with the series is by watching and enjoying Macross 7, all during the series we get small insights into the original story, if I would later find out, there was a series about it (original Macross), I would watch it too to see if I could understand more about Macross 7 (I mean, the whole Protoculture stuff importance isn't explained very well or how humans and zentradi are allyes stuff and why are they in space colonies), and man oh man, I would just get to preffer the original macross over 7, not like I'm now gonna hate 7 and SDFM is the best, but to say that 7 is superior than SDFM is a bit odd

I mean, you may not like the 80's style animation and music, but boy oh boy, the whole story, love triangle and COOL characters just get you sucked into it and the only annoying character is Kaifun but that's someone you just love to hate and don't have to put up for 45 episodes like you had to do with Basara on 7 who does absolutely the same on every episode, I just don't get it, any person or kid with half a brain could see which is the most intelectual series, and something I really dislike about 7 is that only characters that dyed were the two dudes from Diamond force and the other two dudes from Emerald force who were not really important, I don't hate Macross 7, but I can't stand the idea that it might be superior to the original

this is just my opinion, I don't want to start the old 7 bashing ^_^

25 Anniversary!!!!!

......of SDF Macross....why the hell would they rebroadcast M7 when it's only the 12th anniversary for M7????

.....I'm going to find a nice, quiet place and open my belly.

Because it's the 25th anniversary of the Franchise of which Macross 7 was a part...

And the newest tv series out there, with much more consitant animation.

I really dislike about 7 is that only characters that dyed were the two dudes from Diamond force and the other two dudes from Emerald force who were not really important, I don't hate Macross 7, but I can't stand the idea that it might be superior to the original

But Macross 7 isn't the same kind of story as Macross to begin with... it's much less of a war story. Macross foccused on the military and had a singer for the sub plot and romance. Macross 7 foccuses on a band and has the military in there for subplots and romance. So of course we don't see the firebomer character's die (oh wait we do... remember Basara dies and comes back to life), for the same reason we don't see the singer before Mylene.

But I thought the one character's death... was it Fujica, was dramatic enough... and really beat home the theme with Gamlin trying to take his gift home to his daughter.

Also it's much more a fantasy... with enemies who want to drain your life force... rather then shoot you, and more of a mystery (why are these pilots in a coma? what can we do to wake them up?).

So if one is better then the other... hard to say... but they are very different to make it hard to compare.

Edited by lord_breetai

I understand people disliking the old 80's Mimmei pop music if it's not of someones taste, but I can't understand why would people prefer Macross 7 over the original, here's my take on it:

I can understand it.

Fans want more Macross. Period. Sometimes, we don't even care what it's like, we just want more of it. And really, who can blame us? If it's your thing, it's your thing and you want as much as you can get. Fans got hooked on Macross through the television series because that's how the franchise was born. They are the biggest parts of the franchise.

A franchise is only as high profile as it's last big thing. When you're trying to talk up a franchise and promote the hell out of it, you use the most high profile, most recent example of it's greatness. That's wouldn't be Macross Zero I'm very sorry to say, that would be Macross 7 (more's the pity).

Also, franchises have to keep putting out material to both maintain the fan base and create new fans. This is why Gundam has gone through nearly three times as many incarnations in almost the same time frame. Macross doesn't have this. The franchise has two television series in 25 years and the original is now too old for most anime fans to remember. Worse still, current generation anime fans have been raised on anime shows that have good stories, new music and new animation, so SDF Macross is fighting with two strikes against it already.

Like it or not, anime is a visual medium and most fans (japanese AND international) are more likely to give something a chance as long as it LOOKS good. So the people marketing Macross really don't have much choice but to go with Macross 7 as the last exciting series to rebroadcast and hope it still appeals to the current majority of the anime fandom.

Edited by Mr March

I can't believe you guys completely overlooked the good part of this.

Well okay, so Gundam is extremely popular and the emo angst driven crappy gundam SEED series is doing really well. The youngin's love it. And bandai pumps out version after version of not only the emo gundams, but the Rx-78-2 as well as obscure mecha that wouldn't have a chance in hell being made if it weren't gundam.

Now the sales driven by the younger crowd might be high enough for bandai to milk gundam product for them, and for us older crowd people.

Now don't you think Big West is doing the same? its obvious now. Have they ever done it? Not as much, but looks like they are trying to emulate the same formula.

What is the by product of this? AN ONSLAUGHT OF MACROSS GOODIES! If it does well then I think we will finally see way more Macross product than we are used to. Money speaks correct?

So sooner or later more macross series, light hearted stuff for the new kids, hardcore mecha action and deep stories for the older crowd, either way macross all around. To target the younger crowd=sales=more money for stuff for us=more macross=more toys.

I think its a smart decision if this is indeed what they are doing. It makes sense too. Look at gundam. A ton of us are diehard UC fans and hate the AU SEED and Wing stuff. Maybe Macross will become the same. It has a long way to catch up but I see a similar premise occurring.

More Macross naturally means more goodies all around. I suppose one takes the good with the bad, as with any franchise (not just Gundam). Not all Macross was good, but like I said, most fans just want more of it anyway.

For my part, I can't complain. A new series is on the horizon and Graham himself says there's stuff coming up. THat's about as good as it gets.

The franchise has two television series in 25 years and the original is now too old for most anime fans to remember.

Maybe, and yet the best selling and longest lasting Macross merchandise are still the SDFM and DYRL goods.... The latest CMs figure series featured Minmay not Mylene, so I wonder....

Worse still, current generation anime fans have been raised on anime shows that have good stories, new music and new animation, so SDF Macross is fighting with two strikes against it already.

Sorry, but if you are implying SDFM doesn't have as good if not a better story than the majority of the pablum in anime I have to disagree. The animation is certainly dated and poor in some parts considering it was made for so cheap. The music is a preference thing and really one can't seriously debate a preference....

Like it or not, anime is a visual medium and most fans (japanese AND international) are more likely to give something a chance as long as it LOOKS good. So the people marketing Macross really don't have much choice but to go with Macross 7 as the last exciting series to rebroadcast and hope it still appeals to the current majority of the anime fandom.

This is most likely the case. Mac 7 is the last known series and you can't resurrect franchise exposure by rebroadcasting a 5 part OVA series on TV over and over.

Sorry, but if you are implying SDFM doesn't have as good if not a better story than the majority of the pablum in anime I have to disagree.

He made 3 points (story, new music and new animation)... and then said 2 strikes. so I think it was implied that that he meant... it's got good story but the animation and music are old. Where as Macross 7 has a good story but slightly less dated music and animation.

Though I prefer Mari Iijima's music to most of the mediocre j-pop crap comming out now.

"Angel's Paint" is possibly one of my favorite songs ever, it always makes me feel better when I'm depressed.

"Angel's Paint" is possibly one of my favorite songs ever, it always makes me feel better when I'm depressed.

I like that song too, but the 15th anniversary one. The pacing on that one sounds better to my ears than the original, plus the more prominently featured guitars.

Hopefully the new series will have some nice peaces of bgm music (score), that can later fill a cd.

M+ soundtracks had some nice bgm in there, but also too many outlandish music/songs.

M7 is a total disaster when it comes to bgm, well because it has none...

M0, totally forgettable.

He made 3 points (story, new music and new animation)... and then said 2 strikes. so I think it was implied that that he meant... it's got good story but the animation and music are old. Where as Macross 7 has a good story but slightly less dated music and animation.

Well I read no implication toward any particular one as it was pretty open to interpretation, hence my comments.

Yeah, and it's one of the Mari written songs too... :D

I like that song too, but the 15th anniversary one. The pacing on that one sounds better to my ears than the original, plus the more prominently featured guitars.

Mari's a pianist though, not a guitarist and I like to her her work centered in her songs, I love all Mari's music though... macross or no.