Macross 25th Anniversary! New TV series coming!

wolfx

I was thinking along similar lines "a flyer for the Macross brand," then a noted your post in this thread. :ph34r::lol:

There is a possibility, though extremely remote, that this is correct. The Japanese have a word for flyer - ãƒãƒ©ã‚· - after all.

Basara never cared about anyone understanding him, or painting for that matter!

Exactly. So what happens if they DO revisit Basara, but rewrite him to be some stereotypical angst-ridden twit instead of the Basara we all know and love(or at least love to hate)?

There is a possibility, though extremely remote, that this is correct. The Japanese have a word for flyer - ãƒãƒ©ã‚· - after all.

Sure, the chance is remote, but I wouldn´t find it unlikely given past anime projects and the associated angelified (placeholder) names.

For a title the double meaning is pretty funny though and very aptly chosen.

Edit:

Perhaps Kawamori is going all heavenly on us and is making this about a friar. :lol:

Edited by T.V.

If they are looking at Gundam as a (we want to do it like that), it should be Gundam 0083, or 08th MS team. Perhaps a series based off the game Macross M3 (sorry game, but had a promising backstory). We'll be talking about this for over a year as things slowly unfold. Man, what to do to pass time. :p

Man, what to do to pass time. :p

Rampantly speculate surely, isn't that we do best?

But seriously, it's nice to see a new Macross project getting off the ground. After M0 not being as well received as it might have been I was beginning to wonder if the Macross brand was a little bit stalled. It does sound like their putting a bit of oomph behind getting it airborne again.

I'm kind of hoping we see something fresh and new, taking the basic elements of Macross - transforming aircraft, a love triangle, a singing idol and the like - but going off in a bit of a new direction so as not to get bogged down in existing Macross continuity. I'm not worried if they don't on the Protoculture or any of the back history, but equally I don't mind if they do. All I'm hoping for is good animation, good design work, a good solid story and a good voice cast. If they can deliver on those then we should be in for a pleasant ride.

Karl

I am glad SK is staying involved in the franchise. He doesn't need to write every story or direct every show to be involved.

Mecha designer. Thats what he should stay as. Forevermore!

I am interested though, whether its a continuity of the series that we have now, or an alternate universe. I hope it's a continuation, I'm not much into AU.

Edited by kensei

I am interested though, whether its a continuity of the series that we have now, or an alternate universe. I hope it's a continuation, I'm not much into AU.

Given the history of the franchise, it's pretty damn safe to say the next series is going to be within the primary fictional franchise. Every Macross production, with the exception of the aberration known as MacII, was in the same storyline. There's always the chance that they creative team may diverge into a new storyline outside of established Macross history, but I doubt it.

I know one thing: it'll be hard for me to get into this show if Mikimoto doesn't do the character designs. I know kids these day's might not like his style, but kids these day's also like rap "music" and Naruto. Show them something GOOD and I'm sure the smart ones will like it. The rest will follow.

But yeah, for me, it ain't Macross without Mikimoto (and no, I didn't care much for Macross Plus).

Given the history of the franchise, it's pretty damn safe to say the next series is going to be within the primary fictional franchise. Every Macross production, with the exception of the aberration known as MacII, was in the same storyline. There's always the chance that they creative team may diverge into a new storyline outside of established Macross history, but I doubt it.

But, as we haven't seen any confirmation, there is a oh so slim chance.

I still worry.

He's a busy man that SK. Kissdum and now this?

I know one thing: it'll be hard for me to get into this show if Mikimoto doesn't do the character designs. I know kids these day's might not like his style, but kids these day's also like rap "music" and Naruto. Show them something GOOD and I'm sure the smart ones will like it. The rest will follow.

But yeah, for me, it ain't Macross without Mikimoto (and no, I didn't care much for Macross Plus).

Ahem Rap music's been out as long or if not longer than SDF MACROSS(1982). Rapper's Delight by the Sugar Hill Gang(1979) old timer. B))

Given the history of the franchise, it's pretty damn safe to say the next series is going to be within the primary fictional franchise.

Even Mac II takes place in the main universe in sofar it connects with the original SDF Macross series.

However, given the time, history and role model, I dare say that an AU story isn't unlikely.

Who'd have thought that Gundam Wing would've been an AU from its inception, for example?\

The chance that the Macross Flyer project is an AU is IMO around 70% (based on gut instinct).

Most current 14 year old Japanese schoolgoers aren't familiar with the intricacies of Macross history..

Edited by T.V.

Actually, it would make no sense either. CG allows you to not lose the cell if you make errors, to make quick tests and then use the undo button to return to a previous state, plus, once you've done it you can reuse it whenever you want, while a cell once is drawn has to be remade from scratch is things are not perfect. It's just more convenient in everything. Plus is cleaner too.

Cells haven't been used in years, everything, 3D or 2D, is all done digitally now, greatly changing the way modern animation outfits are structured (from what I've seen in western production houses it now looks more like an office with a minimal crew of animators with greater experience in an office-like layout, rather than a traditional studio set-up with seperated departments). 3D does have the advantage of 'puppet' manipulation of characters, mecha and scenery once it has been constructed, but personally I wasn't a massive fan of the CG valks in Mac0, they looked TOO clean and didn't have the 'weight' of old-school hand drawn valks (although the first time we see the Valk0 transform was really sweet). :)

If you look at the flight sequences in Eureka 7, they were probably plotted in a 3D environment but were finished by hand, giving them the same 'clean' finish of movement while still displaying the quality draftsmanship of 2D technical drawing and animation. This also means that mecha and characters are more in synch stylistically (unless you use some kind of new 'toon-shading' software).

Although I would prefer to see a total 2D approach, if the project is going to be completed sooner rather than later, I'm expecting to see the same approach as Mac0.

Just my 2 cents. :p

Even Mac II takes place in the main universe in sofar it connects with the original SDF Macross series.

However, given the time, history and role model, I dare say that an AU story isn't unlikely.

Who'd have thought that Gundam Wing would've been an AU from its inception, for example?\

The chance that the Macross Flyer project is an AU is IMO around 70% (based on gut instinct).

Most current 14 year old Japanese schoolgoers aren't familiar with the intricacies of Macross history..

meh, gundam has always embraced the notion of AUs. macross has not and it seems pretty obvious that the creators are interested in further exploring the mythos and history. it would be a shame for them to throw all that out the window to do a reboot.

Hi everyone, its been a long time since I got back into the Macross universe. Its great to find out theres such a dedicated forum for Macross. Goes to show that the franchise is alive and kicking :p

To date I have only watched Macross Zero, Macross SDF DYRL, and the SDF TV series. A bit of Macross Plus and none of Macross 7 and Macross II.

If there is to be a new Macross TV series or OVA coming out, there are lots of expectations to live up to.

After watching Macross Zero, I would expect the visuals of the new series to be on par, if not better than Macross Zero. Even though my experience in anime is very limited, the visuals in Macross Zero blew me away. Now if they could create epic space battles like they did for the dogfights in Macross Zero, its going to be astounding.

I do agree with the fact that the Destroids werent given enough credit in the movies and series. As we could see , the visuals they did for the Destriod Cheyenne was awesome. If they redid Spartans, Tomahawks, Phalanxes the same way they did for the Cheyenne that would be even better. It would be sort of giving them the credit they finally deserve for being away from the limelight for so long.

Bottom line, the new series has a lot to live up to, regardless of whether its catered to Macross 7 era fans or the SDF TV series era fans. If they pull this one off, ie top notch storyline, visuals, music, characters, then all Macross fans can finally rejoice, after being deprived for so long.

But, as we haven't seen any confirmation, there is a oh so slim chance.

I still worry.

He's a busy man that SK. Kissdum and now this?

Don't worry, after Macross 7 and Macross Zero, there's no place to go but up :)

I'd just like to add a couple quick notes on CG. The computers do not magically animate everything all so easily and efficiently as many believe, and motion-capture is a not a magical-super-easy-happy-fun-time-and-sparkles way to do "lifelike" animation.

Yes, you do only have to build the models once, however once they are built, animating them is more difficult than the average person might expect. It's actually quite difficult, and requires a lot of time and effort. "Realistic" motion capture animation rarely meshes well with CG without some amount of manual editing. When MoCap does work best is with models that themselves are lifelike and meant to interact in lifelike ways, such as CG background characters in a primarily live action film.

The more stylized the characters, the less MoCap works with them. It begins to look odd, out of place, and not quite right in the same "uncanney valley" sort of way that overly lifelike CG can look odd. Additionally, when animating stylized characters, the animation itself needs to be exaggerated and stylized to look "right".

Then, of course, there's the apples and oranges aspect of 3DCG and 2D animation. You can often make them work well together, but neither is a replacement for the other.

I may have stuck primarily with illustration, but I do have some minor degree of experience with this. I stand by everything in my previous post.

I should also point out that CG elements from shows and movies are often not used at a later date. The models/textures/whatnot begin to look outdated next to more contemporary models, and if you want to reuse those old models, you'd also have to limit how good you make the new visual elements. Pixar could not reuse the models from Toy Story in TS2 because there was such a drastic difference in quality despite only being 4 years apart.

As I stated before, GOOD 3D is more difficult to produce than GOOD 2D. BAD 3D is cheaper and easier to produce than BAD 2D. There is, of course, a balance that many companies strive for to make the most, budgetwise, out of both. "Labor" is not soley the number of names in the credits, it's also the amount of time those people had to work on a given project.

The same logic could be applied to call any of the official Macross sequels an alternate universe. It doesn't get one anywhere.

I see no reason to suspect an alternate universe for the next Macross project. I'm not sure where all this "AU! AU!" speculation is suddenly coming from. Nothing so far says anything one way or the other. ANd like I said, given the franchise history (and the absence of the creative team going out on a limb), it's likely going to be within the Macross established history. If I were a betting man, I'd say established history. But as I say, anything is possible, even Macross time travel! (perish the thought) :):p

Ahem Rap music's been out as long or if not longer than SDF MACROSS(1982). Rapper's Delight by the Sugar Hill Gang(1979) old timer. B))

Hip hop is good in this "kid's" book. Now I can understand where the hatred came from when the older generations spoke ill of rock; guess the silliness must perpetuate. :rolleyes:

I have a strong feeling that it could be an AU :ph34r: .

I have a strong feeling that your strong feeling is wrong. <_<

Macross has NEVER released an AU.

Even Macross II was considered CANON continuity when it was first released, and only later was semi-officially demoted to AU to eliminate inconsistencies.

Hip hop is good in this "kid's" book. Now I can understand where the hatred came from when the older generations spoke ill of rock; guess the silliness must perpetuate. :rolleyes:

Back in the late 80's, there was actually some good rap and hip-hop that actually had lyrics that made sense or even told a story, requiring some thought and talent from the writer/artist.

Somewhere along the line in the 90's, rap and hip-hop took a turn for the worst, and turned into an uncreative mishmash of profanities and unoriginal, sexually/racially discriminatory expletives, which can no longer be classified as "music" even by the loosest definition.

If the next Macross idol, female or male, starts singing something like:

"Yo yo yo, your ass is b1tching..." or "Man, you motherf***ing ho..."

(This may have excited or provocated the Zentradi if sang by Minmei during the Space War) <_<

I will personally bomb the BW HQ.

And last, I'd much rather be called an antiquated stubborn silly old man than listen to brainless 'cuss fest of rhythmic trash.

Edited by John Focker

Now the process may be a bit more direct if HD cameras are being used for the animation (I'd have to check with my buddy in the film industry).

Don't bother. Many HD cameras are purely digital, so no film is involved. It wouldn't matter anyways because the show is done in CG to begin with, so having film would be an unnecessary step in the process and be removed anyways.

If they redid Spartans, Tomahawks, Phalanxes ....

:) Oh don't I wish!

(This may have excited or provocated the Zentradi if sang by Minmei during the Space War) <_<

And last, I'd much rather be called an antiquated stubborn silly old man than listen to brainless 'cuss fest of rhythmic trash.

Amen to that, fellow Macross Fan.

As of today i speculate that this Macross Flier will be setted sometime around 2025. Why? Because is the big Void of Macross. Apart Macross M3, nothing is told about what happened in those years.

Hi everyone, its been a long time since I got back into the Macross universe. Its great to find out theres such a dedicated forum for Macross. Goes to show that the franchise is alive and kicking :p

To date I have only watched Macross Zero, Macross SDF DYRL, and the SDF TV series. A bit of Macross Plus and none of Macross 7 and Macross II.

If there is to be a new Macross TV series or OVA coming out, there are lots of expectations to live up to.

After watching Macross Zero, I would expect the visuals of the new series to be on par, if not better than Macross Zero. Even though my experience in anime is very limited, the visuals in Macross Zero blew me away. Now if they could create epic space battles like they did for the dogfights in Macross Zero, its going to be astounding.

I do agree with the fact that the Destroids werent given enough credit in the movies and series. As we could see , the visuals they did for the Destriod Cheyenne was awesome. If they redid Spartans, Tomahawks, Phalanxes the same way they did for the Cheyenne that would be even better. It would be sort of giving them the credit they finally deserve for being away from the limelight for so long.

Bottom line, the new series has a lot to live up to, regardless of whether its catered to Macross 7 era fans or the SDF TV series era fans. If they pull this one off, ie top notch storyline, visuals, music, characters, then all Macross fans can finally rejoice, after being deprived for so long.

Well its been 5 years, I'm sure this new series will look a lot better than Macross zero.

Back in the late 80's, there was actually some good rap and hip-hop that actually had lyrics that made sense or even told a story, requiring some thought and talent from the writer/artist.

Somewhere along the line in the 90's, rap and hip-hop took a turn for the worst, and turned into an uncreative mishmash of profanities and unoriginal, sexually/racially discriminatory expletives, which can no longer be classified as "music" even by the loosest definition.

To each their own, I'll just say that the enmasse dismisal of the entire hip hop genre is your loss and only speaks to ones own obsolescence for refusing to make the attempt. Like genres of music from ages past with something to say, some are always unwilling to lend attention to anything other than what they know and quick to dismiss hip hop as rubbish. Some of it is rubbish but a lot of it is not. Like jazz, folk and rock, hip hop has in turn become the voice of a generation and has a lot to say about everything in the human experience, just as much as any other musical form.

If Macross uses hip hop in a new production, I certainly won't shy away from it anymore than I would upon hearing it in a film. But if I were a betting man, I'd say the odds of anything but minor hip hop influences appearing in Macross Flyer is low :)