new project in 1/72 scale:

jorawar_b

LOL, you may have already been on that path, but I think Grayson basically just outlined the begining of a private enterprise that could set you up in business for life :) Knowing the quality of your work, I bet you can put together some modular stuff that could work for Macross or about any flight/mecha model in existence. From the oldest planes to grace hanger bays to the most futuristic giant robots that inhabited space/air craft carriers for mid to high end modellers.

Good idea for the win!

Hey glad someone liked my idea! :D

So it's a bit tough to see all the panel lines in the pic but i have started on the floor, i wanted it to have an interesting footprint so the panel lines are not just squared up, but have angles and different shapes and sizes, to me this is much more interesting. I also made a "turntable" with a track for a towhook etc...

mike

IPB Image

not sure if i should start a whole other thread for the build but for now i will put it here...

Someone is about to get rich.. ;)

just imagine once you put it on SSM or Ebay and offer it for 1/60 and 1/72s models and toys...and best of all not HG or George L. LM on your "arse"....

Best of luck with this Mike.. :)

Wow... it certainly does look nice so far. It's too big for me to put anywhere tho... I was thinking something about 8"x10" and high enough to angle over would be good for an individual 1/72 mech... you're going full out diorama material, which looks awesome, but just isn't something I'd have room for. Can't wait to see it finished, and then when people get it painted up...

Huge...though needed for 1/72 scale I guess...like promethuem5 said, it's too big for me too.

Something I would steal from the 1/100 set is the scaffolding. Some framework could come out of the one wall and be supported by pillar in the middle of the floor front side and run to the backwall.

1/100 Factory Link

Edited by darklord4

So i have started on i guess what is the gantry (SP?), and the sled for the hook, these are not final, i will add a bit more detail. I will be casting the sled seperate so that it can be adjusted around, also i will be adding some "claws" to sled thingy, the sled will hang on the rails.........I have also deceided to make a "short" wall for people who are going to be combining more than one.....it will seperate the destroids/valks etc, and offer a bit of interesting detail....

mike

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by mslz22

It looks awesome man! Keep up the great work! Just think of it, no threat of copy right infringement either! The profit is all yours. I think everyone will be happy giving their mecha a good home too :) . - MT

I was thinking the same thing, though I see that it is already very close to the detail on the floor in front. I would think that the gantry should be able to clear the cannons on the destroid evenif they were pointing straight out. If at all possible of course. All the details are looking great! You should be able to promote this for many applications.

mike it my be better if its pushed out anothe 1inch, just an idea

it looks to snug....lol

There will be a part that will "receive" the gantry part that will extend the footing out another 3/4 of an inch or so, it will be cast seperate from the wall so that you can position it where you would like, there is enough room for the gantry with this part even with the turntable. You can see it in the pic below.......I am trying to find a good middle ground between using the available pics for insperation without all out copying it, i think that is better in the long run......

IPB Image

Looking awesome Mike, I hope you're able to create masters and pour castings at the same time ;)

Well, not at the exact same time :) , I almost always have something in the pressure pot when it's warm enough, we just got thru a cold snap that i did not get to cast anything but i am casting today. Even with the 45 degree weather stuff takes a lot longer to cure, so stuff stays in the pots for at least an hour or so, that time between is when i'm working on other stuff right now....

Mike,

Since I spent time with the US Army Field Artliery unit, I think that if you made a base that house the monster, say a choice of out int the field or Urban, that would be cool. I have all the dougram support trucks, so if you made a base that had diorama of the field or streets I think that could work.

So here is pretty much what the back wall part "A" will look like, i am going to do a "B" version for people who want other options, the area on this that has no real detail is where the receiver of the gantry will go, that will allow people to pick where they want that stuff. That platform will also be cast seperatly so that people have the option to do what they would like with it. I may add some more detail to the area next to the platform that is not in the way of the tracks....

thanks

mike

IPB Image

Lookin' great (without possible annoying legal holdups). Are you going to make TV monitors like the other sets had. The admiral always has a message for the troops :) . - MT

Boy I can't get anything by you, i even chopped up most of it......I've said it before, if kitbashing was good enough for ILM :)

If you ground it into dust he`d still be able to tell :p

So here is where i am today, the large outside wall has some work done to it, i need to evaluate and get your feedback on if there should be more detail so please chime in. The tanish sideways thing is intended to be a large monitor type thingy, and i plan on making a decal that will fit in with multiple diagnostic looking screens. Hope everyone is cool with where this is going, i will get some work done on the small wall tomorrow....

thanks

mike

IPB Image

Looks really cool Mike, are you using any reference pics from Macross to add to the detail?

Some, and some is "inspired by" and given a bit more of a realistic approach with the kitbashing. The gantry is very close but with a lot more detail than the one on the box art, the platform is kind of like that too. The turntable shows up in a handful of the line art stuff. I can still add more detail to the walls I do just want to get a beat on what people are thinking at this point in regard to how far i should go. Keep in mind that i am trying to make this a bit "universal" both in regard to mecha types as well as fitting a few different scales....

mike

Oh just thought of one thing, you may want to add some small doors at ground level to grant people access to the bay. Some could be just the right size for people and some could be larger double doors for moving larger equipment throughtout the facility or accessing storage rooms.