new project in 1/72 scale:

jorawar_b

I was wondering about the small crew doors at floor and high levels as well and I guess ladders and balconies will be added along..

The one thing that stand out to me are those humongous door hinges..are they supposed to be that way??

All in all it looks good to me

I was wondering about the small crew doors at floor and high levels as well and I guess ladders and balconies will be added along..

The one thing that stand out to me are those humongous door hinges..are they supposed to be that way??

All in all it looks good to me

The small crew door will show up somewhere, i just have not deceided where yet. those are not meant to be door hindges, they are more tied into the platform next to it, i will add some detail to tie the 2 together better...

As for the giant doorbell and the giant firealarm, never even occured to me that they would look that way :) , the middlepart of the door was intended to look like some locking mechanisim and the firealarm....well it don't know what i intended for that, i just saw some of those elipse type things in some of the art some where, if it's too silly i will mask it or remove it.

mike

Ok, so i am closing in pretty quick on what i think will be the "basic set", I really want to be able to offer this for around $100.00 for anyone who wants a set up but not spend a lot of $$, i still need to see how much resin and mold material it will be. My idea was that the basic set will come with 1 back wall, 1 side wall, floor, gantry + receiver, and the additional platform for the sidewall, and the platform that goes on the back wall tracks, also decals. See the pics below and please chime in, you can see the receiver for the gantry pushes it out more than 3/4 of an inch, i've added more detail to both the side and back walls, and added a repair platform for the sidewall that can be positioned where you would like. BTW that destroid was painted when i was 13 so please excuse the sloppyness of it :)

thanks

mike

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Oh, also the floor and side wall can be "flipped" so you can use them on either side.

Edited by mslz22

Mike,

No disrespect but I think the gantry needs to be pulled out a little more, it looks like its blocking the view for the mecha, or just getting in the way, other than thay the whole kits looks great, your work is amazing, you are a real master at your work, thanks again for giving us this kit.

I am looking at getting three, but the middle one I would need just the base and wall, not the side, I think it would be enough room to fit all of the Capt's mecha's in there real nice.

Mike,

No disrespect but I think the gantry needs to be pulled out a little more, it looks like its blocking the view for the mecha, or just getting in the way, other than thay the whole kits looks great, your work is amazing, you are a real master at your work, thanks again for giving us this kit.

I am looking at getting three, but the middle one I would need just the base and wall, not the side, I think it would be enough room to fit all of the Capt's mecha's in there real nice.

My concern about making it stick out any further is that it already sticks out halfway point of the floor, take a look at the sideview here, a 1/72 valk even with the gunpod fits in sideways. I wanted to leave space on the floor for stuff infront of the gantry so that people could get the most out of the display. Maybe what i can do is build an extension part and cast it seperate for anyone who wants to use it....

IPB Image

Another thing i thought of with making the gantry longer was that I wanted to have it be taller than it is longer, i think that looks better. But i am limited in the height that i can make it because of the height of the back walls. I made the back wall the height it is to keep this a reasonable size, even this basic set is pretty big and will just fit on most standard 12 inch shelves.

Like i said i don't mind making and extension for people who want it, just want everyone to know how i developed the gantry and what i had in mind....

mike

Mike that picture with the valk looks good, your right, I am sorry, it looks very good. I would be also interesed in the extension of the floor panel myself.

No need to be sorry, i want input from you guys, anyway i think i came up with a cool little extension, it looks like a couple of hydrolic type thingies. It is about 1 3/4 iches long and if that's too long for the builder it's easy to razor saw off a bit, that way the builder can use it, not use it, or mod it to get wha they want, or it can be used as some other bit of detail somewhere else. It's a bit crooked because it's just all taped together but you can see here that this is what it would look like full extended....you can also see the repair platform here, again that's just taped on...

mike

IPB Image

Edited by mslz22

Everything looks great, Mike. The only critique I have would be that the gantry doesn't have enough lateral travel. Would it look too goofy to extend the wall up just enough so that the gantry could travel over the top of the door, and on to the next section if needed, say 1/2" higher?

Everything looks great, Mike. The only critique I have would be that the gantry doesn't have enough lateral travel. Would it look too goofy to extend the wall up just enough so that the gantry could travel over the top of the door, and on to the next section if needed, say 1/2" higher?

I understand what you mean but I'm not sure I would want the walls any higher for a couple of reasons. One is that even with a half of an inch to an inch rise would throw off all the detailing that i already did, and i would need to raise up the gantry that much more to match, and the gantry is already pretty tall . I also plan on having the "b" type back wall that will have no door, if you want no door, or to put 2 together. With that second option either used as your pimary back panel or added with the panel you see here there will be plenty of room for the lateral travel apperance. I also plan on having a small angled celing section that will be available to people who want it, that is going to add a bit more height to the whole thing, and again this is already a bit tall.

Also keep in mind that that you can have the gantry in along the other side wall as well. One of the toughest things about building this so far is the comprimise that i had to make about what detail type stuff i wanted to include and still allow people to pick and choose how to display their stuff, and keep this thing at a reasonable size. The gantry track was a good example, if i did not have to be concerned about the above stuff i would have a track that would run on the floor and across the wall, but that would extend the display more and limit where you could put stuff. This way you can put the gantry on either wall, flip the floor either way, flip the outside wall either way, combine as many units as you want in a few different ways, put the platforms in different positions, and it will look good with 1/72nds, 1/60's, maybe even 1/55's, and other types of mecha as well.

Sorry to rant a bit, again i just wanted people to know how i came up with the current configuration...

thanks

mike

How will the gantry roll along the turntable?

Well it wouldn't, the gantry will need to be fixed in position. The extension makes it look a bit wacky that the gantry is right in the middle of the turntable, it's not as bad without the extension. Also you can turn the floor 180 degrees so that the turntable would be on the other side, by the door.

Hey Mike,

I was thinking of getting three of these, one background wall with a door in the middle and two solid walls, now what I wanted to know can you make two walls that have openings, like the doors in between as to show three compartments, like the ones that they have one ships so if we connet all three based you would have a total of four wall going from left to right and three walls on the back and three bases, I hope you can understand what I mean. I was in the US Navy a long time ago and remeber going into a carrier and seeing the Airplane repair shops on board.

Hey Mike,

I was thinking of getting three of these, one background wall with a door in the middle and two solid walls, now what I wanted to know can you make two walls that have openings, like the doors in between as to show three compartments, like the ones that they have one ships so if we connet all three based you would have a total of four wall going from left to right and three walls on the back and three bases, I hope you can understand what I mean. I was in the US Navy a long time ago and remeber going into a carrier and seeing the Airplane repair shops on board.

Yep, i think i referred to it earlier in the thread as the "short wall", it will seperate each compartment but not hinder the view from the front or the sides. I have tried to plan this out so that you will have maximum viewablity (is that a word :) ), from the front or the side. There is some line art in Perfect Memory that has something like this, it almost looks like the destroids are in pens, that is where i am taking the idea from.....

mike

Sorry to rant a bit, again i just wanted people to know how i came up with the current configuration...

Rant away, Mike. ;)

You have obviously given this a lot of thought, and nothing you have done, or don't plan on doing, will prevent me from getting a few of these. I know it might be more of a pain, but had you thought about selling the components separately? I.E. Wall Section A, B or C is $XX.XX, Floor Section A or B =$YY.YY, etc.

Anyway, keep up the great work. I am truly enjoying this, and looking forward to the finished product.

Really looking great Mike! I think with your engineering, most anybody will be able to arrange these components in whatever way pleases them most.

How cool would it be to have a DYRL Valk launch arm on one side and then this interior view on the other. Of course you would need a large display area! :o

HWR or Master Cheng could probably do it. (hint hint ^_^ )

Really looking great Mike! I think with your engineering, most anybody will be able to arrange these components in whatever way pleases them most.

How cool would it be to have a DYRL Valk launch arm on one side and then this interior view on the other. Of course you would need a large display area! :o

HWR or Master Cheng could probably do it. (hint hint ^_^ )

Actually i didnt get the valk launch arm. For some weird reason it is difficult for me to finish an aircraft model. Probably because i work on the real thing(IE F-15E and F-16 C/D)

Rant away, Mike. ;)

You have obviously given this a lot of thought, and nothing you have done, or don't plan on doing, will prevent me from getting a few of these. I know it might be more of a pain, but had you thought about selling the components separately? I.E. Wall Section A, B or C is $XX.XX, Floor Section A or B =$YY.YY, etc.

Anyway, keep up the great work. I am truly enjoying this, and looking forward to the finished product.

All parts will be available seperatly as well as as a "kit", that way people can do whatever they want....

On a side not i have not gotten much done the last few days because i was doing all the paper work for the biz taxes, get ready for this.....last year, due in large part to the monster project, I spent on resin and silicone...............$12,000 :o

last year, due in large part to the monster project, I spent on resin and silicone...............$12,000 :o

Dude! Please tell me you didn't take a loss on the Monster project.

I guess on the plus side, is if you did, it reduces your AGI and therefore your taxes. Sorry, last terms class was Federal Taxation. :wacko:

Dude! Please tell me you didn't take a loss on the Monster project.

I guess on the plus side, is if you did, it reduces your AGI and therefore your taxes. Sorry, last terms class was Federal Taxation. :wacko:

Not a loss for sure but not a windfall either :)

Gotta admit though mike it would seem that the monster sold alot better than expected.

BTW do you still want to do a deal for the "Unsellable" bits.

It sold pretty well, and hopefully i will get one more small run this spring, i only have 11 decal sheets left so if there is not much more interest i may not due more than the 11 that i can provide decal sheets for....we will see.

I will still be able to get you a 2nds kit at the end of this run, believe it or not i did not end up with all that many bad parts......

mike

• 2 weeks later...

I did a little work on the slanted roof and will put up a pic tonight or tomorrow, this week will be a little slow i am moving back into the big casting shop, which needs a bit of work, so things will be a little slow this week, but once i am all moved back in i will start making the molds for this stuff.....

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update, i have been working on a new year round casting shop, i am just so sick of being at the mercy of the new england weather. I lowered the celing, added r19 insulation to the celing and walls, and added a subfloor to my garage shop. Basically i built myself an insulated box that can be easily cooled or heated, and it's just for mold making and casting, all scratchbuilding will be moved to a basement shop with all my powertools, paintbooth etc.....

Once this is set up i will be molding the parts that are ready to go and scratching the 2nd wall option as well as a few other option parts....

thanks

mike

• 2 weeks later...

Mike, you have such great skills!

I think I just found another place to spend my money. Count me in for 1 if it's going for between $80 and $100, and if it's going below that, I'll get 2-3 sets.

I should come to forums more often :p

• 2 months later...