new project in 1/72 scale:

jorawar_b

Okay guys, we will give this one more shot, talked to mike ( mslz22 ), he is looking into making a 1/72 scale factory diorama for the 1/72 scale mech. This is not a copy of the 1/100 kit but something universal and detailed. Right now we just want to see how many people would be interested, this would be nice to build and add Capt's kits.

So please let me know if you are interested, list starts here:

1. jorawar_b (2 or more )

2. Grayson72

3. cokefiend

4. thegunny

5. cool8or

6. valk009 ( 1 or 2)

7. 007-vf1

8. azrhino

9. jardann (1 or 2 or ?) ..lol

10. valkyrie

11. Mechwarrior

12. RT junkie

13. hirohawa

14. Ghadrack

15. HWR MKII

16. neptunesurvey (2)

17. THOR (2)

18. jadefalconguard

19. Viceland

20. Robert S

21. Ranger565

22. valkyrie13

23. nssd702502

24. hyperamos

25. armentage

26. Major Tom

27. promethuem5

28. cokefiend

29. Octane

30. Kicker773

31. mriboy

32. Type R #126

33. s_i_t_h_l_o_r_d

34. hirohawa

Total of 38 kits so far

Edited by jorawar_b

I'm curious how big you're shooting for and how much detail and 'stuff' you want it to have... a hangar dio would be a fantastic thing to have, and I've always toyed with the idea of making one for myself, but I'd like to see what you're aiming for before I commit either way...

Hey guys, a quick eval of how i would do something like this......I think i would offer it with a floor, back wall and one side wall, i would make a 3rd wall available if people wanted it, but when i have found that the 3rd wall makes display kind of narrow, you would need to look at it almost straight on to see everything, where as if 1 sidewall is left off you can see everything nicely if it's displayed on a shelf. I was looking at the perfect memory repair bays and some other source material for insperation. To keep the cost down each floor/side would be less than 1/4 inch thick, for added stability the modeler would likely want to mount the floor to a nice base (wood/mdf) and depending on how things come out, some small bracing for the wall. Making the floors/walls too think would result in a higher cost due to resin cost but may be easier to assemble, i guess that is a bridge i could cross later. I would want to do everything i could to keep this under or around $100.00, and i would provide a decal sheet.

If anyone has a wishlist of details or size they would like on this thing please let me know.

thanks

mike

Count me in for one or two :p

That brings up a good point, i plan on building in a way that you can attach more than one side to side by flipping the wall, in theory you could make as many bays as you want. You could make yourself a custom shelf and mount it to a wall with as many as you would want to display your valks!

mike you may want to extend the base out a little so you can stand the other mecha out, kinda make a waiting area or finishing area, this would add a little depth to the diorama. Add a lot more support support vehicles maybe some mounts for L.E.D lights.

I would love to have something that had valks and destroids, and who knows maybe a home for the monster.

mike you may want to extend the base out a little so you can stand the other mecha out, kinda make a waiting area or finishing area, this would add a little depth to the diorama. Add a lot more support support vehicles maybe some mounts for L.E.D lights.

I would love to have something that had valks and destroids, and who knows maybe a home for the monster.

A hanger for the monster would be GIGANTIC!!!! That would be built depending if people who had the monster wanted one.

What i am likely to do is make these different things available in component set, what that allows me to do is offer the basic kit to people who don't want to spend too much $$, for those that want extra components they will be offered in packages. One example that i am thinking of would be an accessory kit that had misc Mecha parts, engine bits etc.., instead of making everyone pay for that detail set it would be sold seperate for a small amount...

For the support vehicles, i thought Valkyrie was working on some of those, i do not want to step on his toes so maybe those will be available thru him, unless he has abondoned that project....

mike

This sounds good. count me in...

I was thinking on refitting the old 1/100s but that takes a lot of time I don't have, and also investment on more materials..

this way I could sell the old Imai and make up for the cost of the new resin one.

I like the idea of having the hability to expand it..

2 walls and floor is the way to go in my opinion.

A hanger for the monster would be GIGANTIC!!!! That would be built depending if people who had the monster wanted one.

I have a Mike's Monster, but yes, its hangar should be excessively large... and expensive!

I prefer, as Mike says, different accesories in sets.

This idea it's really great! This proyect will give to our collections extra value. I show my colection in anime conventions, so this proyect exiting me very much. :):lol::D

You guys are REALLY trying to convert me to 1/72nd scale aren't you! I think it's anawesome idea! Where were you guys 20 years ago when I was doing one :D ! I can't wait to see the finished product! - MT

Mike hold on, because I am sure your gonna get a lot request. I have a lot of ideas in my head. You know what would be coold is that you make this universal for the other series other than macross, I am sure you will get a lot of people interested..

I wonder how many monster owners would be interested in a custom factory for the monster.

Mike hold on, because I am sure your gonna get a lot request. I have a lot of ideas in my head. You know what would be coold is that you make this universal for the other series other than macross, I am sure you will get a lot of people interested..

I wonder how many monster owners would be interested in a custom factory for the monster.

Don't worry, i would not get much more than a rough in, just to get an idea of what size would look good. I'm thinking that while i will take insperation from macross stuff, and try to gear most of it to 1/72 scale, it is something that would look good with 1/60 valks, and hopefully some Gundam stuff etc....

mike

What i am likely to do is make these different things available in component set, what that allows me to do is offer the basic kit to people who don't want to spend too much $$, for those that want extra components they will be offered in packages. One example that i am thinking of would be an accessory kit that had misc Mecha parts, engine bits etc.., instead of making everyone pay for that detail set it would be sold seperate for a small amount...

For the support vehicles, i thought Valkyrie was working on some of those, i do not want to step on his toes so maybe those will be available thru him, unless he has abondoned that project....

mike

Sound like a great project! I'm in for one!

As for the support vehicles, I've got no plans beyond my tow tractor and gunpod cart (which I have no plans of abandoning :)). And Hommeamise has his 6-seater jeep in the works too (can't remember the name it)

You're quite welcome to make any of the other vehicles though :)

Hi Mike, I think this is a great idea! Your idea of making different bits available got me thinking. You could make the base and walls generic enough that you could then sell different add-on kits to make them more specific to the modellers diorama/display needs. For example: Add on parts to turn the base into a repair bay for aircraft, a repair bay for destroids, a hangar for destroids, a hangar for aircraft, add on parts that would be specific to space based hangars and ones for land based, etc...

I'd love to have a hanger that is made to house destroids, the pilots have to take stairs/elevators up and walk out on elevated platforms to climb into the destroid cockpits etc... We'd definately need people for this as well.

I don't think there's anything wrong with taking some design cues from the old 1/100 factory design either. I really liked the spotlights they had mounted on the floor shining up on the mecha. I really liked the big moveable gantry that was in the kit as well.

Edited by Grayson72

mike maybe you can make one with a removable top, so it looks like a cube and then connect the different sections.

I've already started fooling around with the idea of a partial angled celing, i like the angle because it allows you to see the detail on the celing and i like it partial because it gives you a feeling of fullness without boxing in the models......

IPB Image

Well I like what Im reading but it may be just a little too deep for my display cases at 17", I`ve spent too much on them to junk em. I would be interested in the wall sections especially if they are modular so I could add some together and then make my own floor to match. They would probably not look outta place against my 1/24 Binaltechs as well.

Edited by big F

Well I like what Im reading but it may be just a little too deep for my display cases at 17", I`ve spent too much on them to junk em. I would be interested in the wall sections especially if they are modular so I could add some together and then make my own floor to match. They would probably not look outta place against my 1/24 Binaltechs as well.

I'm thinking that the 16 or 17 inches would be long, but the depth would be around 13", i think there are shelves that hover around 12", and a 1" overhang would not be bad. Ikea sells some shelves that would be perfect for this type of display...

mike

So this is 12" deep by 15" long, i think this may be a winner for the basic set, it's big enough to display 2 or 3 valks or destroids but is not so big that it's can't be easily displayed, i put a 1/60 valk next to the 1/72 destroid just to show the size of a 1/60 in the mock up. let me know any opinions on the size before i commit.....

mike

IPB Image

Hi Mike, I think this is a great idea! Your idea of making different bits available got me thinking. You could make the base and walls generic enough that you could then sell different add-on kits to make them more specific to the modellers diorama/display needs. For example: Add on parts to turn the base into a repair bay for aircraft, a repair bay for destroids, a hangar for destroids, a hangar for aircraft, add on parts that would be specific to space based hangars and ones for land based, etc...

I'd love to have a hanger that is made to house destroids, the pilots have to take stairs/elevators up and walk out on elevated platforms to climb into the destroid cockpits etc... We'd definately need people for this as well.

I don't think there's anything wrong with taking some design cues from the old 1/100 factory design either. I really liked the spotlights they had mounted on the floor shining up on the mecha. I really liked the big moveable gantry that was in the kit as well.

LOL, you may have already been on that path, but I think Grayson basically just outlined the begining of a private enterprise that could set you up in business for life :) Knowing the quality of your work, I bet you can put together some modular stuff that could work for Macross or about any flight/mecha model in existence. From the oldest planes to grace hanger bays to the most futuristic giant robots that inhabited space/air craft carriers for mid to high end modellers.

Good idea for the win!

Edited by Ghadrack

Okay guys, we will give this one more shot, talked to mike ( mslz22 ), he is looking into making a 1/72 scale factory diorama for the 1/72 scale mech. This is not a copy of the 1/100 kit but something universal and detailed. Right now we just want to see how many people would be interested, this would be nice to build and add Capt's kits.

So please let me know if you are interested, list starts here:

1. jorawar_b

2. Grayson72

3. cokefiend

4. thegunny

5. cool8or

6. valk009 ( 1 or 2)

7. 007-vf1

8. azrhino

9. jardann (1 or 2 or ?) ..lol

10. valkyrie

11. Mechwarrior

12. RT junkie

13. hirohawa

14. Ghadrack

If its between 150 and 200 im in too. Id preferr a macross styled hangar but generic could do too. Btw with a ceiling be sure to add a slide rail and a Destroid crew acess ladder too. In the TV macross the crews got delivered to their Mecha by a sliding gantry type device.