Megazone 23 LD Question?

Ginrai

I know this is a longshot, but does anyone know which Japanese Megazone 23 LD is the one that has the ending for the Robotech The Movie version of Megazone 23 Part One? Or do they all have it? The one I'm looking at the cover has Shogo driving on the Garland in bike mode with Yui and the two punk chicks next to her on a yellow background with a yellow Megazone 23 logo (with blue outline on the letters) and Part II written in white letters on a little red box, and then a thick green line is down the left side which says among other things, Megazone 23 Part II. Does anyone know if this DVD has the Robotech ending on it?

I know this is a longshot, but does anyone know which Japanese Megazone 23 LD is the one that has the ending for the Robotech The Movie version of Megazone 23 Part One? Or do they all have it? The one I'm looking at the cover has Shogo driving on the Garland in bike mode with Yui and the two punk chicks next to her on a yellow background with a yellow Megazone 23 logo (with blue outline on the letters) and Part II written in white letters on a little red box, and then a thick green line is down the left side which says among other things, Megazone 23 Part II. Does anyone know if this DVD has the Robotech ending on it?

I heard that Megazone 23 part 2 had the ROBOTECH special ending at the begining of that disc.

It has to be the English dub version of the LD, as the original Japanese one didn't have it. I have the disc at home, but I'm at work now so you'll have to wait. Sorry. As for the DVD's, the Japanese box didn't have it. Maybe the upcoming reduced price one will (though I doubt it)

(Btw, there's no dialogue for it, just music, so if you're looking to make a Robotech the Movie DVD You'll need audio from somewhere.)

More info to come.

OK, luckily Doryu2025 posted the picture from the DVD box set (wow, never knew some people got this... guess that's why used sucks...) so that might be the better way to go. The LD cover looks a bit different, as it uses this albums cover art (http://www.donkey.co.jp/ld/ph/rec_megazon23lp.jpg) for it's cover. Hopes that helps and sorry for the delay. After I got home and started making dinner I forgot all about it until just now.

Edited by LePoseur

The material you're speaking of was all released on DVD in Japan, but only as a limited edition extra disc in some of the MegaZone 23 boxsets a couple of years ago. From what I can tell, it's pretty much pointless trying to get one of these discs separately now since the auctions for them have dried up on Yahoo Auctions. In any case, they (quite predictably) went for quite a lot of money.

post-2041-1173190245_thumb.jpg

Thank you both very much! I already have a rip of the footage from the LD but I was hoping to get my own copy to try to get a higher quality rip. This is super helpful. I was never able to find the cover of either the LD it was nor the DVD. The DVD thing I couldn't even confirm until now, though I heard it before. Thanks a ton both of you!

Is this an alternate ending?

Well it's the end for ROBOTECH: The Movie that uses footage from both Megazone 23 & SDC Southern Cross(aka ROBOTECH: THE MASTERS) to tell an original story. HG changed the original ending for MZ23 to a much happier ending where Mark Landry(Shogo Yahagi)defeats B.D. and is reunited with Becky Michaels(Yui). It's not bad.

Edited by terry the lone wolf

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, I think I'll just stick with my MZ dvd's for now.

Thanks for the info though. :)

If you're interested into taking a look at it though, a rip of RT: the Untold Story is available at BoxTorrents since one week or two... :)

• 2 weeks later...

I downloaded both. They are the same rip. Same source, same bitrate, same encoding, same resolution. The only difference is one rip has two seconds of tracking garbage that was cut out of the other one. No real difference. The advantage of the one on minonova is that it has extras. These extras originated from Elements of Protoculture DVD extras in the Robotech Legacy Collection (also in the Protoculture Collection).

They are an animatic of the new ending animated for the movie, a crappy music video using only Southern Cross footage set to one of the songs from the movie, and a trailer for the movie, which is interesting, but only has footage from Southern Cross. Since Harmony Gold allowed the Megazone 23 license to lapse a long time ago and has no interest in renewing it, I assume the original trailer had Megazone 23 footage but it was replaced with generic Southern Cross crap. This is especially funny when the trailer is talking about adventures never seen on TV but it is just showing the same SC stuff that definitely was on TV.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect the source for this rip is the bootleg Robotech The Movie DVD you see for sale on eBay from time to time. The quality is a lot better than the VHS copy I have (this one is probably a first generation dub if not ripped directly from VHS), and looks pretty good. The bad thing is that the entire movie has this stupid "FOR VIEWING PURPOSES ONLY" subtitle on it. Really irritating, and my VHS dub does not have that.

Edited by Ginrai

If you're interested into taking a look at it though, a rip of RT: the Untold Story is available at BoxTorrents since one week or two... :)

Something's wrong with BoxTorrents. It won't let me sign up. Any other source where I can get this? Is the Robotech: The movie DVD bootleg worth it? I was hoping for an official release, (I haven't seen it in fifteen years), but word is it's not gonna happen.

Edit: I just checked Mininova and they don't have it for the time being. :(

Edited by Lonely Soldier Boy

• 5 months later...
Why is there no dialogue? Did they leave it out of the US release also? Man, that movie was ass.

The reason why the dialogue was left out was that animation was intended for ROBOTECH: The Movie(because of the changes that Cannon Pictures wanted HG to do to the MZ 23 footage) but the shelving of the movie in the U.S. led HG with no outlet to release this new footage. The dialogue would've been RT centric & not MZ 23. So they added it to their dub of MEGAZONE 23 PART 2 at the begining of that feature. Then they added narration to explain the MZ 23 story & music from the original MZ 23 soundtrack.

Edited by terry the lone wolf

• 1 month later...