Grand Theft Auto IV

Now, that's 27 days until the trailer is made public, right?

The game itself is supposed to come out holidays 07 last I heard... :huh:

Yes. Till the trailer.

*wonders if this will turn into another GTA3 OR Bully* :rolleyes:

The sandbox gta engine has been copied too many times.

If there's anyone that can move it foward I'd expect Rockstar to do it.

Rumor mill has been churning that this is going to be a "different" GTA than past games, hence their decision to finally go to "4" (rather than simply putting a name behind the title, implying a "tier sequel" rather than an "advancement").

The two words most associated with all the rumors I've seen re: this game are "HD" and "Multiplayer". My guess would be a burly online mode for the main game, something like Test Drive Unlimited where players all play at the same time but can choose to "intermingle" or hermit out and play by themselves.

I'm not sure if a large scale MMO would be a good idea, really that sounds kind of like a pain in the ass with jerks running all over blowing everything up. I think a limited multiplayer (2-4 players) would be the best idea, as Crackdown has shown that such a feature is a lot of fun.

Any guesses on the setting?

Well, the original GTA took place in Liberty City, Vice City and San Andreas (and subsequent titles GTA3, GTA Advance, Vice City, Vice City Stories, Liberty City and Liberty City Stories) while GTA 1 expansion packs took place in London and Grand Theft Auto 2 took place outside of what people consider "GTA Canon" in a magical future city called "Anywhere".

So far the only city mentioned in a GTA franchise that has not been directly shown in the GTA format (but was shown in another Rockstar game "Manhunt") is "Carcer City".

All rumors I have seen claim GTA 4 is "the entire United States". But that sounds like internet fan boy wet dreams rather than an actually accomplishable game play setting.

From what I have seen it is going to be for the PS3, XBOX 360 and PC only.

It's probably going to be a "forced upgrade" title, meaning people are probably going to buy PS3's, XBOX 360's and have to upgrade their PC's just to play it.

Anyone else notice how Rockstar yanked the port of Vice City Stories to the PS2?

From what I have seen it is going to be for the PS3, XBOX 360 and PC only.

It's probably going to be a "forced upgrade" title, meaning people are probably going to buy PS3's, XBOX 360's and have to upgrade their PC's just to play it.

Anyone else notice how Rockstar yanked the port of Vice City Stories to the PS2?

What do you mean by yanked?

It's out in four days here for a measly £15 ($30 odd), I'm so going to get it.

I guess I heard wrong... someone told me Rockstar claimed it was PSP only and was not going to release it on PS2.

Yeah they did say that originally but I thin PSP's numbers have been less then impressive so much like Konami porting MGS:4 over to the Xbox 360, Rockstar have been forced to port Vice city stories in order to turn a decent profit.

That's only my own idle speculation though, I'm pleased because it's more GTA for those who don't want a PSP and it's cheap. :D

Oh come on, pretty much all GTA games have been "exclusive" where they are exclusive for a while and then go to other systems. This is nothing new and has absolutely nothing to do with PSP numbers. GTA 1 was PC exclusive and later came out on PS1, GTAII was PC exclusive and later came out on Dreamcast, GTAIII was PS2 exclusive and later came out on Xbox and PC, et cetera.

• 3 weeks later...

How so?

The next "big" Star Wars game, The Force Unleashed is being released seemingly for every console and handheld out there (PS3, XBox 360, Nintendo DS, PS2 and PSP) except the Wii and PC. As with such things, there is a pointless online pettion to show Lucasarts the error of their ways...

The next "big" Star Wars game, The Force Unleashed is being released seemingly for every console and handheld out there (PS3, XBox 360, Nintendo DS, PS2 and PSP) except the Wii and PC. As with such things, there is a pointless online pettion to show Lucasarts the error of their ways...

BINGO!

My PC > than any of the consoles.

Don't worry, I agree. Though with the PS2 now getting below $100Aus second hand I am begining to weaken as my justifcation of "consoles = criminal waste of money better spent elsewhere" weakens because I soooo painfully want to place GTA Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories...

I think it looks good, they seem to have pushed for uber realism in everything and there is a great deal of detail. Also, just cos this trailer only shows us NY doesn't mean there might not be more locations.

And this "Things will be different" line, some kind of super vague hint for a massive shift in the gameplay or will our Russian friend here be trying to go straight.

Looks cool. According to GameSpot, the trailer is actual in-game footage running in real-time. Impressive. I am confused a bit though, this time they have actual real world landmarks, but everything still indicates Liberty City?? Weird.

Things I noticed in the trailer:

- Liberty City... but different, laid out more like the real New York it seems.

- What appears to be a day-night cycle in full blown effect

- Much improved renderer and texture map quality

- Appears to take place either in modern day or within 10 years of modern day

This is my eyebrow going up -> :huh: