CA Acceleratoer alternative?

Chas

This doesn't totally help, but I find that super glue works much better without an accelerant... using that can make the glue brittle... is there a specific reason you want an accelerator, like for some really fidgety parts or something? The only kind I've seen is that stuff that comes in a little aerosol can (looks like the mini Axe cans, but taller) and I forget the name of...

This doesn't totally help, but I find that super glue works much better without an accelerant... using that can make the glue brittle... is there a specific reason you want an accelerator, like for some really fidgety parts or something? The only kind I've seen is that stuff that comes in a little aerosol can (looks like the mini Axe cans, but taller) and I forget the name of...

Well it's kind of a moot point right now as I've managed to accomplish what I needed without it, bu tI was adding a bunch of lead balls (from old Buckshot shells) to the nosecone of a valk and I wanted the CA to set as quickly as possible so they wouldn't roll out of position. I've only ever used accelerators that are in liqiud form and applied them one drop at a time. I woul think that an aerosol would be nowhere near precise enough. Anyway if anyone has found something that works I'd love to hear about it. Does anybody know the chemical name for thr stuff? That might make it easier to find an alternative.

Anyway thanks for taking the time P5.

Water hmmm. I've managed to find out that some accelerators use an ethyl acetate base now to I need to find out more about ethyl acetate. Thanks for the help though, I might try just adding water and see what happens.

O.K. this is what I found on the stuff:

Ethyl acetate is widely employed as a solvent for chemical reactions and for extractions. Similarly, is also present in nail varnishes and nail varnish removers and even for the decaffeination of coffee beans and tea leaves.

Ethyl acetate is also present in confectionery, perfumes, and fruits because it evaporates at a fast rate, leaving but the scent of the perfume on the skin. It also confers a fruity smell, as do most esters.It is also used in Paints as a Activator or hardener.

So I'm off to do some experimenting.

Mods, you can close this thread if you so desire.