valkyries and voltron

Stratagos

Hello, I have visited MacrossWorld many times during the past few years. This is my first posting. I am attempting to model the VF-11 Thunderbolt from Macross Plus and the robot lions from Voltron.

Just out curiosity, I would like to know what 3D modeling applications other MacrossWorld users are using? Because, there are many good modeling applications available today.

Edited by Stratagos

Heh, is that Rhino or C4D?

Hello, I'm NOT a modeler or texturer, but I DO use a handful of 3d aps in game modding and slight alterations of meshes/textures.

I frequently use: (rough guess on versions)

Calligari Truespace 3.2

3DMax 7 and Lightwave 7

3DExploration 1.831

Lithunwrap 1.34

and Milkshake 1.7.1

I've tried Blender, Wings, and Google Sketchup, but found them unappealing (atm), especially since I don't really use any app to their fullest potential anyway.

BTW, great job on those lions! I never really liked Voltron, but you certainly got them down I'd say.

Someone made a comparison in this pic lately to Voltron...

I was trying to make space fighters turn into balls of light so they can physically combine without crashing into each other (plus the cool factor) and they were like "Go Voltron Force!"

I proceeded to cyber beat him to death with a Frozen Tuna...

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/Sta...changealpha.jpg

I'm a huge fan of both Macross and the R-Word, but especially Go Nagai's works (as you might tell my screen name is the American Version of Getter Robo G) And was trying to do a Getter Combine in front of SDF-1..

L8tr!!!

[attachmentid=40645]hello,

The lions were created in Cinema4D. While the VF-11 was created in Rhino.

I use 3DMax sometimes, Maya too. They're are all good 3d applications.

Thank you for saying that about the lions. It took a very long time to model them.

The SDF-1 and Armd-1 you've modeled look very good.

Go Nagai has created some very fantasic anime series. Getter Robo G looks very cool. As are Devil Man and Devil Lady.

Have you ever tried mixing still pictures with 3D objects.

And, could I ask you. What is R-World about?

stratagos

Edited by Stratagos

Um I have only made 1 3d model in my life (it sucks!) trust me society is better off that way. :D

The Armd came from the original R-word Mod Team, the SDF-1 is by Trashman. I'm gonna say it real fast cause this is a MACROSS forum you understand. the R-word is (robotech)... Got it? Never repeat it again or people shun you! (kidding)

Thanks for the kind words about Go. I loved many of his shows since childhood, and was thrilled when he started re-vamping the old Getter series again (Armageddon in 2002 and New Getter Robo in 2005)

I'm also a big Yamato and Harlock fan. (surprising Leiji also made a robot series, DanGuard Ace!)

Yeah I tried some experiments with stills and 3d and hope to try more in the future (I'm doing related projects all at once: a game mod, fanfiction and demo trailers, parody videos).

Just a opinion: The lions are a bit low and too far forward I think. It would probably look better if you raised them up 2-3 inches and then set them into the back ground farther away. From my POV it seems they are surfing not flying. :D

Post a pic when you get your vf-11 textured!

Edited by Star Dragon

hello Star Dragon,

Could you please provide a link to R-World. I've tried searching for this site. However cannot seem to find it. Devilman and DevilLady are the only two anime series I've seen of Go Nagai. And they very good. Certainly will check out more of his works.

Edited by Stratagos

I'm a Cinema 4D user, been using it since the Amiga floppy disk version, many many years ago.

I don't know Voltron but you seem to have a good solid start with those lions. The key to mixing CG with photos is... dirt! CG models always look too clean, so when you do your final texturing make sure and add some noise to the materials' diffusion channel to combat that CG cleanliness.

Actually, it's a type of Space Marine from Warhammer 40k. But yeah, it also has a slight resemblance perhaps to a red Zaku or Gouf.

When you finish that vf-11 can i mess around with it? Models Please plans on making one later on for Mylene's custom valk but I'd like to set some stuff up sooner if possible. Plus it;s always good to have options.

Full Credit of course maintained.

hello,

Could I ask, is Warhammer an RPG like Dugeons and Dragons. Zakus and Goufs and great mecha designs. Moblie Suit Gundam is a great anime series.

Sure, StarDragon. However, be aware that the model is incomplete. It was created in Rhino, which uses many CV control points. There are only limited things you can do with NURBS. The VF-11 is based upon the studio half eye kit. I want to build a new one. Based upon new lineart drawings. I can send you the model, to mess around with.

Mylene Jenius is very beautiful. Fire Bomber is a great band.

Stratagos

post-916-1173722289_thumb.jpg

post-916-1173722370_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stratagos

Could I ask, is Warhammer an RPG like Dugeons and Dragons. Zakus and Goufs and great mecha designs. Moblie Suit Gundam is a great anime series.

There is talk of Games Workshop making a Warhammer 40K RPG but the present system is a miniature based, tabletop, tactical wargame. Now that you mention it though the Space Marine helmet does resemble a Zaku slightly.

hello,

Could I ask is warhammer similar to the old Battleship game or is it more like chess?

Perhaps, Yamato will one day make a Hikaru Fan Racer. Although, not as high-tech as valkyries. It would be very fun to fly. Maybe they will even make Macross 7 valkyries.

Edited by Stratagos

Ha that's great! Never seen a model of the Fanjet Racer before...

Can Rhino export to other formats? I can only use general ones like .3ds, .obj, .lwo, etc... I mainly use 3dexploration for my cross conversion needs. Eventually it needs to be made into a .cob file for final conversion into Freespace 2 for combat scenes.

Here's a look at how it might turn out in a comparison shot of a Vf-1a from SDF Macross and a few vf-19's (blaizer, kai, and an excalibur) from Macross 7: all less than 1k polys I think.

IPB Image

The vf-1a was a bothtech .x file and all the vf-19's were from Models Please .mod SFC3 files. He also put me in touch with Rod O Neil who's making a kick arse VF-4 lightning for us.

Warhammer 40k is made by Games Designer Workshop and started out a Star Fleet Battles type of game table top with interaction with miniatures (think Battletech but with space ships). I think it was called battle Fleet Gothic? I might have the timeline confused I am not up on their history as to what came otu first.

They since released a few computer games like SpaceHulk and Blood Angles and then the latest ones are Dawn of Ward and it's two expansions (winter assualt and Dark Crusade) that are RTS games and basicly Warhammer clones but TC's of the 40k universe and done VERY WELL!

Edited by Star Dragon

hello Star Dragon,

Good work on the valkyries. They look very nice.

Bothtec did a good job on Macross VO. It is one of the best valkyrie simulators for Windows.

Will certainly look more into Warhammer. It sounds interesting.

Rhino can export to the all the file types you have mentioned.

Everything is kind of in the work-in-progress stage. Decided to rebuild some objects.

Please post your comments.

[attachmentid=41919][attachmentid=41920][attachmentid=41921][attachmentid=41922][attachmentid=41923][attachmentid=41924][attachmentid=41925][attachmentid=41926][attachmentid=41927][attachmentid=41928][attachmentid=41929][attachmentid=41930][attachmentid=41931][attachmentid=41932][attachmentid=41933]

post-916-1176160578_thumb.jpg

post-916-1176160604_thumb.jpg

post-916-1176160622_thumb.jpg

post-916-1176160639_thumb.jpg

post-916-1176160651_thumb.jpg

post-916-1176160665_thumb.jpg

post-916-1176160682_thumb.jpg

post-916-1176160702_thumb.jpg

post-916-1176160725_thumb.jpg

post-916-1176160743_thumb.jpg

post-916-1176160760_thumb.jpg

post-916-1176160773_thumb.jpg

post-916-1176160786_thumb.jpg

post-916-1176160803_thumb.jpg

post-916-1176160816_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hello MilSpex,

Voltron was one of my favorites shows in the 80's. Everyone had voltron lionbot figures.

Sure would like to live in New Macross City. Maybe, someone will build a place like it someday.

post-916-1233065630_thumb.jpg

post-916-1233065641_thumb.jpg

post-916-1233065647_thumb.jpg

post-916-1233065651_thumb.jpg

post-916-1233065658_thumb.jpg

post-916-1233065663_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stratagos

You have some really nice looking models there. I use 3D MAX for mine, but I am for sure ignorant when it comes to texturing, it would be nice if we could do some work together.

hello op4_delta,

Thank you for saying that about my artwork.

There are many modeling groups on the web dedicated to Macross modeling.

Do you have a project in mind?

Edited by Stratagos

You are welcome Stratagos. I am currently doing models for the DYRL mod for Homeworld 2, but as a personal project I have started some macross zero models, hopefully to be used in flight sims or something.

Your Macross city model is really nice, I think no one has done something like that before, I once though about doing a south ataria scenery for operation flashpoint, but lacked the sources.

Edited by op4_delta

hello op4_delta,

Want to do a South Antaria Island scene as well. However, there are many other things would like to build first. Found that landscape scenery is by far the most difficult to create. Very tedious and time consuming. Have one picture of South Antaria Island.

Edited by Stratagos

Love the VF-11's very nice!

Wondering if I could get a picture of the squadron with a neutral blue background (i'd like to photoshop the background in myself) if possible?

Thanks

hello Zinjo,

Sure thing. Have rendered scenes to photoshop. Sending you a PM now.

Edited by Stratagos

hello op4_delta,

Want to do a South Antaria Island scene as well. However, there are many other things would like to build first. Found that landscape scenery is by far the most difficult to create. Very tedious and time consuming. Have one picture of South Antaria Island.

That picture of south ataria is great for reference and maybe with a good terrain editor something nice could be done, the only problem I see are the buildings, since there are no specifics for them except for the docks and the airbase.

I have experimented with terrains before and I may be able to produce something if I get a hold on a top view or maybe a heightmap.

Tell me more about your current plans, I may be able to collaborate somehow.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Stratagos,

My model guy tried to work with the VF-11 but he said it was too high poly :( No worries though he has one in the works more game friendly.

Personally I'm more interested in the Great Mazinga I saw in your previous post! How many poly is it?

Also great job on the cityscape, actually I think it's Monument city (not Macross). Is that SDF-1 in storm attcker mode FULLY modeled??? (polycount?)

Anyway here are some vids Shadow0000 did to show off Getter Robo G armageddon version. If you would like I can send you the mesh in .cob, .lwo or .3ds formats. I think it's about 23k

I also have a 18k Grendizer somewhere I found off an Italian site.

http://www.mediafire.com/?6njz0yijehe

If that doesn't work you can read the thread he made that details his efforts.

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php...ic,46323.0.html

l8tr!

• 4 weeks later...