Macross Flashback 2012

Area88

Macross Flashback 2012?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Macross Flashback 2012?

I think folks gotta remember alot of us had no real clue about the original SDF Macross music. This was released in the preInternet era. The music was old to alot of you guys when you watched it for the first time, but new to alot of us who only had Robotech and virtually no access to overseas anime, etc. It was all new to alot of us.

True.

Back in the day RT re-awakened my love for anime and set me on a quest to find more and if you were persistent enough and resourceful enough, there was plenty to be found, it just wasn't easy to get. Not like today where a few torrent sites could fulfill anyone's anime fix. :rolleyes:

My first exposure to pure Macross was a 3rd generation VHS copy of DYRL (that I only recently threw out :p ) and I loved it, even though the quality was crap. It was easy to fall in love with the songs and the beautiful animation.

FB2012 left me disinterested with most of the videos, but the whole farewell concert with the Minmei's initial stroll through the empty stadium to the flashback to the "Angel Paint" number captivated me. When the 5 minutes was up I was left salivating for more, but alas that was it... :o

As for the five minutes at the end, I think it would have been interesting to get a true half hour ending, but what could they have really said or done? Hikaru picked who he wanted, Gamjin was dead, Minmei had already made the choice to focus on her music and her fans. And I'm not so sure they could have shown a combat sequence, which would have to be almost a neccessity if it was longer than a half hour, without causing all kinds of continuity/sequel issues.

I would have loved that, but the reality was that the concert was the envisioned ending to the movie, nothing more. Not to mention SK divorced himself from the franchise shortly after that.

As I stated, I'd probably appreciated the videos more had they focused on the DYRL animation which was so superior to much of SDFM's animation.

3/5

it was a great way to give closesure to the series, but as mentioned before, 5 minutes of new animation in a 30 min musice video wasn't the best way to do it

maybe if they had shown the VF-4 for more than 2 seconds I wold had given it a 4/5 stars, hehehehe

• 1 year later...

Reviving this thread simply because I finally watched Macross 2012.

Giving a goldstar 4/5...animation is kickass for its time (the last 5 min) and you get to see what happens to Hiakru/Misa/Minmei after DYRL.

Does anybody know whether the Megaroad can transform? The bridge looks exactly like SDF-1's and the sillouette does suggest that it has legs as well...ah well, hope Mac Frontier will shed light on what happened to the Megaroad.

I do not think it a coincidence that Macross Frontier is probably named after the Megaroad poster in Macross 2012 (with words "Frontier" in bold!)

Does anybody know whether the Megaroad can transform? The bridge looks exactly like SDF-1's and the sillouette does suggest that it has legs as well...ah well, hope Mac Frontier will shed light on what happened to the Megaroad.

As I understand things, the Megaroad is non-transformable. It has similarities to the Macross because it was a retrofit design. It makes use of the half-completed SDF-2 laying around on the Moon after Space War 1 ended(why's it called Space War 1 when there's never been a SW2? IT'S A SECRET TO EVERYBODY.).

As I understand things, the Megaroad is non-transformable. It has similarities to the Macross because it was a retrofit design. It makes use of the half-completed SDF-2 laying around on the Moon after Space War 1 ended(why's it called Space War 1 when there's never been a SW2? IT'S A SECRET TO EVERYBODY.).

THanks JBO, where did that nugget of info come from? A jap sourcebook? Getting even more interested now that I know there's like a wealth of non-animated background info...

SW2? Would be nice if Mac F turns out to be SW2 and a real war epic :)

THanks JBO, where did that nugget of info come from? A jap sourcebook?

Nope. I can't read japanese.

The retrofit comes from Macross Compendium, at macross.anime.net

I don't recall where I got the non-transformable.

(why's it called Space War 1 when there's never been a SW2? IT'S A SECRET TO EVERYBODY.).

I've always wondered that, too. Maybe post-Rain of Death humanity is just pessimistic that way...

Anyway, I gave it six stars. Saw it first in 1987, when the TV series was unavailable in Japanese (with or without subtitles), and it's been the best way to get a quick, cheap Macross fix for more than twenty years now.

I remember reading somewhere (quite recently) that it was designated as Space War 1 as a reference to the two world wars (WW1 and WW2). It is to give the implication of the gravity and significance of the war in the history of human civilization. thus it was equated with the significance of world war 1.

but as usual i can't remember where i read it. sorry bout that.

anyway... 6 stars for Flashback 2012!! :)

when my die hard fixation for anything macross started, it was still a time when anime was hard to come by, and i would need special contacts, and go to very specialized shops to find bootlegs. and that time, it was specially hard to find flashback 2012, since it was dismissed by bootleggers as some kind of MTV collection. sure you can get macross, mac+ and mac7, but flashback was so hard to find. jeez, most of my sources then didn't even know that such a thing existed.

so when i finally found a copy, it was like striking gold. flashback has sentimental value for me in the sense that i waited so long to find a copy. and the music and footages in it brought back so much fond memories. and of course, it brought great closure to the story of hikaru, misa and minmei, my favorite aspect of the original SDFM series. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I find it interesting that everyone thinks it's a great coda to the original series.

When my friends and I first saw it twenty years ago, none of us knew that it was the ending...instead, we all figured it was a teaser for an upcoming sequel. We kept waiting...and waiting...

(And then Macross II came out, and we were all like :o . And then we all went :blink: . And then we were totally :wacko: . And finally, we were all :angry: . But that's a different story, I guess...)

I find it interesting that everyone thinks it's a great coda to the original series.

When my friends and I first saw it twenty years ago, none of us knew that it was the ending...instead, we all figured it was a teaser for an upcoming sequel. We kept waiting...and waiting...

(And then Macross II came out, and we were all like :o . And then we all went :blink: . And then we were totally :wacko: . And finally, we were all :angry: . But that's a different story, I guess...)

I could not have said it better myself!!! :lol:

:p well, it all boils down to a matter of perspective, as to when the person watched it, and the information that he already knows about it.

so given that you watched it 20 years ago, i can understand the frustration, specially since you saw it as a teaser of things to come. thank god i didn't go through that, at least. :)

but truth be told, i also went :blink: with macross II. and even more :wacko: with macross 7. :p