The computer and electronics super geek superthread...

EXO

Sounds like a repeat of SED, which was the "plasma and LCD killer" a couple years ago. And even if it does come out for 2008, it'll probably cost $10,000 for the first sets. Just now are plasma/LCD becoming "mainstream affordable" and they've been out a long time.

Ok i bought a Antec Sp-500 modular power supply only to have it start and then stop at the POST screen.

Then theres smell of ozone . Now nothing happens. :angry: Dont buy one. I'm going thru ANTEC warranty

to get it replaced or get something else not sure what there gonna offer me on this situation. <_<

well, i have to sell my desktop (family emergency in mexico..) and since i don't have the time (or the energy) to burn all my files to dvd's, i opted to turn my unused extra 200gb sata hdd into an external...so i was wondering if this one http://www.compusa.com/products/product_in...uct_code=333111

would be any good...only reason why i chose this model is because I really don't have time to wait for a shipment and would like to buy it in-store if possible...

also, is it worth upgrading your laptop's disc drive from a dvd/cdrw combo to a dl dvd burner?

i have an old toshiba tecra a4-s211...it's running on a 1.6ghz pentium m and recently upgraded to 1.5gb of ram... i was just asking since my toshiba would be my primary computer for a while..

Ok, this is what I am thinking of getting for my computer, assuming that the wife okays the price tag, so any advice on where to cut costs would be appreciated:

I Buy Power Customized SLI-Gamer Rig:

Raidmax O2 Gaming Tower Case w/400W Power Supply (Black)

NZXT PF-500 500 Watt Power Supply

[socket-AM2] AMD Athlonâ„¢64 X2 3800+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology

Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink

MSI K9N4 SLI-F NVIDIA nForce 500-SLI MCP Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, Dual PCI-E MB

2048MB [1024MB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module

NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS 640MB VRAM

2x 250 GB HARD DRIVE [serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 8M Cache]

16x DVD-ROM Drive Black

18X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive Black

3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard

600W PMPO 3 PCS Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System

Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)

12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer Black More Options

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium

[special !!!] Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps PCI Adapter

So, comments or advice for the totally insane autocad modeller?

If i had money to buy this config, i would wait until ATI releases the R600 and more DX10 benchmarks. And i would get an abit motherboard instead of MSI, they have the reputation of being better for OC.

Hi,

I know this is probably a stupid question, but I wanted to know your opinion fellas.

Currently I´m looking for a nice, efficient and affordable solution to my computer needs, more specifically I´m thinking of getting a new replacement for my Toshiba satellite. So far I´ve been looking at 3 brands:

Sony

HP

Dell

Since my toshiba was my first notbook experience I don´t know how good the other brands are in terms of durability, customer support and whatnot.

The models I´ve been looking at are the Vaio C240 ( looks good for a portable, also has nice specs for the price ), the Dell XPS M1210 ( relatively good price, not so good looks) and as for HP ? well, I´m not yet clear on what would best for my needs from their models.

I´m mainly going to use the computer for CAD work and image editing, and I´ll have to carry it around to work but it´ll stay mostly at home.

I don´t care that much for hard drive space or other stuff, I´ll just need a good amount of RAM and a nice Core 2 Duo procesor, so both models are fairly similar on that respect.

Dell has the convenience of letting you configure your portable before buying, but it gets pricey. Sony on the other hand has everything i´ll possibly need for a good price, but then again, it´s Sony, and i´m a bit suspicious of them. And HP seems to be a good brand overall, their portables are a bit big and heavy though.

Just wanted to know what you would recommend.

I've tried my friends VAIO, they are a good series but the keyboard is kinda weird to type on. Performance wise its a little beast, and the screen is really nice.

well, i have to sell my desktop (family emergency in mexico..) and since i don't have the time (or the energy) to burn all my files to dvd's, i opted to turn my unused extra 200gb sata hdd into an external...so i was wondering if this one http://www.compusa.com/products/product_in...uct_code=333111

would be any good...only reason why i chose this model is because I really don't have time to wait for a shipment and would like to buy it in-store if possible...

also, is it worth upgrading your laptop's disc drive from a dvd/cdrw combo to a dl dvd burner?

i have an old toshiba tecra a4-s211...it's running on a 1.6ghz pentium m and recently upgraded to 1.5gb of ram... i was just asking since my toshiba would be my primary computer for a while..

i bought one of those type of enclosures awhile back (4-5 months ago) only in silver. Mom has it now and from what I've been told it works fine the case itself is ok I thought it would be aluminim or some metal but its plastic. Any way it works fine. Hope that helps abit

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_in...uct_code=333111

Yes, that external case will work just fine.

Yes, it would be a good upgrade, but, considering your current circumstances (you sound like you are in a rush), it would be best to forgo the dvd burner and get back to it at a later time. Or get an external burner, or you can make a trip to Fry's and see if they have anything. Most retailers do no sell notebook replacement drives. They mostly sell internal desktop burners or external burners.

Sony

HP

Dell

Since my toshiba was my first notbook experience I don´t know how good the other brands are in terms of durability, customer support and whatnot.

...snip...too long

If weight is a concern, then I would skip HP.

Sonys are like the Mac laptops. Lots of power and the price to match it. They are lighter than HP, and if you have to carry it back and forth, Sony would be a good choice.

If you want to do CAD and image editing, the XPS M1210 would be a better choice since you can change the video card. The Intel 950 is fine for images, but CAD would need something a bit better. The Sony does have a bigger display which would be better for work. I would go with the Sony if I could cut back on the CAD work. If you can't cut that, then the Dell would be the way to go. I would have an issue with the Dell since it does have a small screen. That might not be the best for image editing.

HP--beware of any OS reinstalls, or changing the hard drive, motherboard, or CPU. If you do, it will know, and it won't like it. (Has to do with OEM license of Windows, and HP's recovery system) Same for Compaq. There's work-arounds, but it's a lot easier to not have to deal with it in the first place. (One of many reasons I'm building my own PC next time, and will be buying a "full" version of Windows for its OS, not an update/upgrade package from a previous version)

From what I've read, Dells don't have that issue.

(One of many reasons I'm building my own PC next time, and will be buying a "full" version of Windows for its OS, not an update/upgrade package from a previous version)

I agree, I like building my own also. Vista upgrades versions have a loop hole you can use to install on a blank hard drive. Microsoft knows about it and is not going to fix it. You install without the key as a trial than install again with the key and you are set. Right now I running a dual boot with XP and the retail upgrade of Ultimate and it runs fine. Just added two more drives in my case so I now have 4 drives and 960GB of storage. Two are ide and are used for XP and two are sata in a raid 1 running Ultimate.

I've tried my friends VAIO, they are a good series but the keyboard is kinda weird to type on. Performance wise its a little beast, and the screen is really nice.

If weight is a concern, then I would skip HP.

Sonys are like the Mac laptops. Lots of power and the price to match it. They are lighter than HP, and if you have to carry it back and forth, Sony would be a good choice.

If you want to do CAD and image editing, the XPS M1210 would be a better choice since you can change the video card. The Intel 950 is fine for images, but CAD would need something a bit better. The Sony does have a bigger display which would be better for work. I would go with the Sony if I could cut back on the CAD work. If you can't cut that, then the Dell would be the way to go. I would have an issue with the Dell since it does have a small screen. That might not be the best for image editing.

Indeed, CAD work will be the main work load of the computer, Unfortunately. The Dell does have a tiny screen, I was thinking of getting a cheaper model with bigger screen and configure the specs to match those of the XPS M1210 ( price will be around the same).

On the other hand, my toshiba ( as crappy as it can get sometimes ) handles CAD work just fine, and it doesn´t have a fancy graphic card or much RAM either ( 256MB...ok ok , don´t laugh at me ), so maybe the Sony will do fine.

HP--beware of any OS reinstalls, or changing the hard drive, motherboard, or CPU. If you do, it will know, and it won't like it. (Has to do with OEM license of Windows, and HP's recovery system) Same for Compaq. There's work-arounds, but it's a lot easier to not have to deal with it in the first place. (One of many reasons I'm building my own PC next time, and will be buying a "full" version of Windows for its OS, not an update/upgrade package from a previous version)

From what I've read, Dells don't have that issue.

Good to know that. HP seems to be out of my plans now.

Do you of any issues with Sony Vaio´s ? I´m wondering how good is the user experience as well as their customer support.

To all of you thank you very much, I really appreciate your help. It´s good to know of all these things from real life sources.

Indeed, CAD work will be the main work load of the computer, Unfortunately. The Dell does have a tiny screen, I was thinking of getting a cheaper model with bigger screen and configure the specs to match those of the XPS M1210 ( price will be around the same).

Do you of any issues with Sony Vaio´s ? I´m wondering how good is the user experience as well as their customer support.

Your only choice on Dell would be limited to the 15" models (if you want a larger, cheaper and be able to get a different video card). And judging by your selection, you seem to want the portable models so I'm not sure if you really want a 15".

I haven't run into too many Sony systems. They tend to be pricey and that means people avoid them.

I was just skimming through some of the posts. I keep seeing the GeForce 8000 series card brought up. There's no real need to get a DX10 card right now. I don't know of any applications that require DX10. If anything, I'd wait till DX10 is more mainstream and there are actual programs that require DX10.

Also, SLI is a gimmick, don't buy into it!!!

Wouldn't waste my time buying a pre-built PC either. One could get the exact same PC from Dell from...say NewEgg.com...at a much cheaper price. I'd never pay more than $150 for a mobo, and never more than $250 for a video card.

Also, there's no real point in upgrading to Vista either. It's pretty much a face lift to XP; plus I've heard there are lots of driver problems with Vista, and not every thing works as it should. If anything, wait till there are applications that require DX10 and till Vista has ALL the bugs worked out. All of my colleagues in the IT department, at the college I go to, all agree that Vista isn't worth it right now. There's nothing Vista can do that XP can't do...other than use DX10.

Forgive me if I've repeated a lot of what someone else has said...like I said I've just been skimming the thread.

I do have a question for you other tech gurus though. I'm looking to buy a new case for a PC I'm building. I'd prefer if it weren't tool-less for I've been reading a lot about how flimsy some of those tool-less cases are. ATX is the form factor...Full Tower or Mid Tower would be great. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Edited by Oihan

I'm in dire need of some expert help! :blink::(

I recieved Vista last week and decided to install it imediatley.

After installing Vista I needed to re-install VLC media player to be able to watch divx and mkb files. This didn't work and I only got sound and weird colors on the screen of the player. I un-installed the VLC player and installed the cccp codec pack which comes with two media players that should be able to play divx and mkb files. This did the job, but I noticed that my laptop was missing its dvd station. Even the hardware configuration didn't include an option to install a CD/DVD recorder/player. Luckily I had a recovery point that worked and I had my dvd recorder back. Next I installed the divx codec without the player from the official divx. (The site states that the divx player isn't supported by Vista) Tonight I found a new player (KMPlayer) that should be able to play mkb files. I made a recovery point before installing the KMPlayer just in case the dvd station went missing again. I installed it only to find that my dvd station was once again missing in the windows explorer and hardware configuration. Doing a system recovery back to the point before the installation didn't work this time and I had to do a system recovery to a two day old recovery point.

Here are my questions;

1. How can I manually add my dvd station when it goes MIA?
  2. Does anyone know of a mkb codec/player that doesn't screw up my system?

I do have a question for you other tech gurus though. I'm looking to buy a new case for a PC I'm building. I'd prefer if it weren't tool-less for I've been reading a lot about how flimsy some of those tool-less cases are. ATX is the form factor...Full Tower or Mid Tower would be great. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Any other special features? Blowhole, air duct, glass panels, lights, front drive-bay door, specific fan-size, etc?

Any other special features? Blowhole, air duct, glass panels, lights, front drive-bay door, specific fan-size, etc?

At least two or three external 5.25" bays; at least two 3.5" external bays; the more internal bays the better I guess; no PSU; front usb and audio ports (IEEE 1394 optional); not clear acrylic; basic looking; 120mm fan would be nice but not required. As for color...black...two-tone...silver/grey. Thanks again.

Also, the following is what's going to be in my new system (haven't bought any of it yet; still subject to change):

• ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI (I'm not getting the mobo because of SLI, it just so happens to have a lot of the features I want.)
  • AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Windsor 2.6GHz Socket AM2
  • EVGA GeForce 7950GT 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16
  • SeaSonic S12-430 ATX12V 430W PSU
  • Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
  • SAMSUNG Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive
  • Pioneer 18X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA
I had thought about going with a Core 2 Duo, but AMD should be coming out with their new chips (Barcelona, Kuma, and Agena) sometime this year or the next. It hasn't been confirmed yet (from what I've read) that these chips will fit in an AM2 socket and be compatible, but here's hoping! Edited by Oihan

Also, SLI is a gimmick, don't buy into it!!!

It's no gimmick. I use ATI's Crossfire (same thing to Nvidia's SLI), and I do notice a rather remarkable improvement to my framerates.

It's expensive, that's what it is.

It's no gimmick. I use ATI's Crossfire (same thing to Nvidia's SLI), and I do notice a rather remarkable improvement to my framerates.

It's expensive, that's what it is.

You've noticed that big of difference? One 8800 GTX card will outperform two 7900 GTXs in SLI. Why spend all of that cash only to wait a generation for a card that'll top those two cards together? It's a gimmick I tell ya! :p

Edited by Oihan

Just in my experience, Samsung drives suck. (Good cameras, but if it involves "spinning at high RPM's" theirs never do well)

Never had a floppy drive of theirs, though.

Hmmm, well the drive on NewEgg was getting great reviews. What drive would you recommend then?

Can't recommend a floppy, I've never had need to use anything other than cheap generic OEM drives for that. I'm just saying I've had bad experiences with every Samsung drive, and would choose any other brand. For a 3.5 floppy, you should be able to get one for basically free---surely someone has an old PC they're getting rid of you could strip for parts. (Just tossed my old one out, and forgot to snag its floppy drive)

It's just a floppy drive......I don't even remember who made mine (it's also running about 10 years old), nor do I care.

At least two or three external 5.25" bays; at least two 3.5" external bays; the more internal bays the better I guess; no PSU; front usb and audio ports (IEEE 1394 optional); not clear acrylic; basic looking; 120mm fan would be nice but not required. As for color...black...two-tone...silver/grey. Thanks again.

COOLMAX CS-480-Black W/O PSU Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Rosewill R6426 BK ATX Mid Tower Computer Case+350W Power Supply - Retail

I can recommend a few others, but that would mean changing some of your requirements. I've had no major problems with InWin, Enlight, CoolerMaster, Lian Li. But take a look at those and see if they suit your needs.

Also, the following is what's going to be in my new system (haven't bought any of it yet; still subject to change):

* ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI (I'm not getting the mobo because of SLI, it just so happens to have a lot of the features I want.)

* AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Windsor 2.6GHz Socket AM2

* EVGA GeForce 7950GT 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16

* SeaSonic S12-430 ATX12V 430W PSU

* Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

* SAMSUNG Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive

* Pioneer 18X DVD�R DVD Burner Black SATA

I had thought about going with a Core 2 Duo, but AMD should be coming out with their new chips (Barcelona, Kuma, and Agena) sometime this year or the next. It hasn't been confirmed yet (from what I've read) that these chips will fit in an AM2 socket and be compatible, but here's hoping!

I suggest dropping the Windsor-based chip and go with a Brisbane-based CPU. Brisbane cpus are going down in price soon so don't bother with Windsor.

Few notes:

-Barcelona will be AM2 compatible. However, you will not be able to take advantage of HyperTransport 3 and a few other features.

-AMD chips will face another price drop on April 9th, and Intel will be lowering prices and release some updated chips on April 22nd.

Right, I have a new problem.

This sucks. Yesterday my computer automatically downloaded the updates that Microsoft released for that new vulnerability.

Now I have an error everytime I start up the computer. And no system restore is not going to work, i didn't turn it on.

The error is a user32.dll file has been illegally relocated. I don't know why or how, but I don't know how to fix it. Anyone know what to do? Thanks.

Is it just me or does it look like the duct from that case's side, will block off the rear fan?

You can always remove the duct. It should be screwed on.

This sucks. Yesterday my computer automatically downloaded the updates that Microsoft released for that new vulnerability.

Now I have an error everytime I start up the computer. And no system restore is not going to work, i didn't turn it on.

The error is a user32.dll file has been illegally relocated. I don't know why or how, but I don't know how to fix it. Anyone know what to do? Thanks.

Does this relate to you? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925902 If it does, go here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

It's just a floppy drive......I don't even remember who made mine (it's also running about 10 years old), nor do I care.

COOLMAX CS-480-Black W/O PSU Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Rosewill R6426 BK ATX Mid Tower Computer Case+350W Power Supply - Retail

I can recommend a few others, but that would mean changing some of your requirements. I've had no major problems with InWin, Enlight, CoolerMaster, Lian Li. But take a look at those and see if they suit your needs.

I suggest dropping the Windsor-based chip and go with a Brisbane-based CPU. Brisbane cpus are going down in price soon so don't bother with Windsor.

Few notes:

-Barcelona will be AM2 compatible. However, you will not be able to take advantage of HyperTransport 3 and a few other features.

-AMD chips will face another price drop on April 9th, and Intel will be lowering prices and release some updated chips on April 22nd.

I only went with the Windsor because of the 1MB L2 cache on each core; I don't believe Brisbane has the 1MB L2 cache on both cores. And if that's the case with Barcelon/Agena/Kuma...I'll probably wait for AM2+ then (AM3 will probably be too rich for my blood). Where'd you get your info on Barcelona if you don't mind me asking? I'd like to read up more on the chip. :p Also, what were the other cases that you'd recommend? Thanks again!

Edited by Oihan

And if that's the case with Barcelon/Agena/Kuma...I probably wait for AM2+ then (AM3 will probably be too rich for my blood). Where'd you get your info on Barcelona if you don't mind me asking? I'd like to read up more on the chip. :p Also, what were the other cases that you'd recommend? Thanks again!

Well, Barcelona chips won't see the light until June, so if you can wait....

My info on CPUs? Through various tech sites and forums.

Cases?

Antec NSK 4400 Black/Silver 0.8mm cold-rolled steel construction ATX Mini Tower Computer Case 380W Power Supply - Retail

Enlight 7250AK9 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

IN WIN IW-S523T2.J350BL Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 350W Power Supply - OEM

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel, SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Well, I ask not cause I don't believe ya, if that's what you're wondering...I'd just like to read up on it myself. I generally browse through Anandtech.com and TomsHardware.com, but haven't been able to find more info on Barcelona/Agena/Kuma through those sites.

Well, I ask not cause I don't believe ya, if that's what you're wondering...I'd just like to read up on it myself. I generally browse through Anandtech.com and TomsHardware.com, but haven't been able to find more info on Barcelona/Agena/Kuma through those sites.

I go through those sites as well, but they only post so much content on their pages that I end up seeing if they have a forums, and then I go through those. Since people post links in forums, I follow those. If that doesn't work...Google (which can lead me to Wikipedia, which can give me some article references, etc).

I go through those sites as well, but they only post so much content on their pages that I end up seeing if they have a forums, and then I go through those. Since people post links in forums, I follow those. If that doesn't work...Google (which can lead me to Wikipedia, which can give me some article references, etc).

Heh...that's where I get a little iffy...with the forums. But fair enough; cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

so i got the external enclosure from compusa, and it ended up failing on me within a couple hours...for some odd reason it just wouldn't recognize the harddrive anymore...which really made no sense to me...i returned it and got my money back...i ended up getting an enclosure from newegg for less than what i paid at compusa...so far i've used it for a few hours and it's worked near flawlessly...altho i had trouble formatting the drive since i made several partitions when i had an o.s. on the drive...but in the end, i just used good ol' partition magic and grouped all the partitions together as one... and i formatted the harddrive into fat32 since a few of my cousins use macs as well as some friends...

Edited by Dat Pinche Haro!