Macross 7 Question

robokochan

Okay most of you have seen Macross 7. There is something that has always bothered me. The person Lord Gelpencich (?), is IT a Male or Female? I ask this question because it is a bit confusing. Throughout the entire show you are lead to believe that it is female. But then in the end when it merges with it's other self, the old uniform ripps off and ...nothing. She has a man's chest.

So offically is it Male or female?

Rob MN

Ivano Gunther was male. Though looked quite female. :blink:

I dont know if the Protodevlin could be considered as having a sex. Sivil certainly seemed female... Gigil male... and Goram and Zomd seemed like male and female... well one of 'em each. I could Glavil going either way... the monstrous ones, Geperenich and Guravil don't seem to go either way really...

I dissagree. I think Ivano Gunther was female, while Gepelnitch was male. The meshing of the two bodies together resulted in the final form being male.

Look at the bodies before self Spiritia generation & after. Before (obviously had tits, I'm sorry, but she did), and after she/he didn't.

I dissagree. I think Ivano Gunther was female, while Gepelnitch was male. The meshing of the two bodies together resulted in the final form being male.

Look at the bodies before self Spiritia generation & after. Before (obviously had tits, I'm sorry, but she did), and after she/he didn't.

I don't know.....It's kinda hard to tell since Ivano Gunther was wearing the armored flight suit when they went to Varuata, then the armor (pre-Protodevlin form) convienently placed hides the chest...Then the robes at the end well...cover the chest area....

Tell me of an instance where you can see clearly...(episode #)

I agree with you. Ivano or Ivana I would say, ineed had breasts just look at the suit in these short clips after a few episodes. Believe it or not I was shocked for the first time when I saw Ivano/Gepelnitch`s helmet came off and said that`s most beautiful anime woman.

I actually question the intended gender AND sexual orientation of ALL Macross 7 characters!

Imagine that, Agent One trolling on a Macross 7 thread.

Just answering the man's question!

I don't know.....It's kinda hard to tell since Ivano Gunther was wearing the armored flight suit when they went to Varuata, then the armor (pre-Protodevlin form) convienently placed hides the chest...Then the robes at the end well...cover the chest area....

Tell me of an instance where you can see clearly...(episode #)

Um... it would be the very last episode. You clearly see the upper half of Ivano Gunther's body while "joined" with Geperenich, particuarly when Sivil attacks after rescuing Basara from the crumbling VF-19 Kai IIRC. I'll have to check it when I get home in a couple hours to be more specific than that... They looked like firm male pecs to me (he must've worked out before Protodevlin possession)... not nice female breasts. Man, just typing that almost makes me feel dirty. :ph34r:;)

Um... it would be the very last episode. You clearly see the upper half of Ivano Gunther's body while "joined" with Geperenich, particuarly when Sivil attacks after rescuing Basara from the crumbling VF-19 Kai IIRC. I'll have to check it when I get home in a couple hours to be more specific than that... They looked like firm male pecs to me (he must've worked out before Protodevlin possession)... not nice female breasts. Man, just typing that almost makes me feel dirty. :ph34r:;)

That post was in reference to Keith's claim that Ivano Gunther being a lady.... :) I wanna see some good evidence that he/she is a lady. I have the lineart. The pics show Ivano Gunther covered in armor at the chest area. I wanna see clear evidence that Ivano Gunther has distinguishable, female breasts. :blink:

Gepilnitch seems to be female to me! When I saw the first episode and "it" took of "its" visor off I was like, "Ooh, she's not bad looking." Then when I watch episode 3 the fansubs said, "Gepelinitch is really a guy!!!" And I was like, "WTF?!" Damn Shoji Kawamori's way that he shows his appearance of his characters! <_<

Did that sound right?? :unsure: I need to buy the entire series! :(

Edited by Macross_Fanboy

I actually question the intended gender AND sexual orientation of ALL Macross 7 characters!

And that is a good question too! Both Ray and Basara had plenty of opportunities to "get the girl", but they seemed only interested in each others.....music.

I'm still wondering whose's the "jenius" (haha, I made a funny) who came up with Ray's old squadron's name... <_< :o

Check out the episode where Kinryu dies (& it has the beloved Speaker Pod Gamma), I think it was Deathmatch At Planet Lux. You get some decent full body shots in that episode, be it with the very "roomy" chest armor. Far too roomy for any male. The outfit, legs, ass, chest armor, everything about the design "before" joining with the full Evil body says "female."

I don't doubt at all that Gepelnitch is male, but Ivano Gunther absolutely has to be female. Given the way the Protodevilin can freely join with a body, as well as the fact that any prolonged possession leads to a perminent link with the body, all adds up to the high probability of a gender mesh.

Edited by Keith

I've always believed that Ivana Gunther was a human woman possessed by the male protodevlin, Gepelnitch. I'm not surprised by Ivana's lack of breasts in the finale, didn't Gepelnitch also remove her legs and add in some sort of tentacle extensions? So what's to stop Gepelnitch from removing his hosts' breasts? ;)

I've always believed that Ivana Gunther was a human woman possessed by the male protodevlin, Gepelnitch. I'm not surprised by Ivana's lack of breasts in the finale, didn't Gepelnitch also remove her legs and add in some sort of tentacle extensions? So what's to stop Gepelnitch from removing his hosts' breasts? ;)

That was a bit more than just tentacle extensions :) But I definately agree.

Check out the episode where Kinryu dies (& it has the beloved Speaker Pod Gamma), I think it was Deathmatch At Planet Lux. You get some decent full body shots in that episode, be it with the very "roomy" chest armor. Far too roomy for any male. The outfit, legs, ass, chest armor, everything about the design "before" joining with the full Evil body says "female."

I don't doubt at all that Gepelnitch is male, but Ivano Gunther absolutely has to be female. Given the way the Protodevilin can freely join with a body, as well as the fact that any prolonged possession leads to a perminent link with the body, all adds up to the high probability of a gender mesh.

Yup that`s the episode when you see for the first time Gepelnitch/Ivana`s full head without the helmet, MAN WHAT A BEAUTY SHE IS ! ;)

Interesting theory. Some plausability there. As much stuff as Gepelnitch was able to do, altering his host's body may have been no problem.

I've always believed that Ivana Gunther was a human woman possessed by the male protodevlin, Gepelnitch.  I'm not surprised by Ivana's lack of breasts in the finale, didn't Gepelnitch also remove her legs and add in some sort of tentacle extensions?  So what's to stop Gepelnitch from removing his hosts' breasts?  ;)

All evil space monsters should get a tentacle extension.

I've always believed that Ivana Gunther was a human woman possessed by the male protodevlin, Gepelnitch.  I'm not surprised by Ivana's lack of breasts in the finale, didn't Gepelnitch also remove her legs and add in some sort of tentacle extensions?  So what's to stop Gepelnitch from removing his hosts' breasts?  ;)

All evil space monsters should get a tentacle extension.

Argh no! Tenticle monsters are invading MW! Sorry had to. I don't think it matters if Ivano is a male name or not, they would probally name a guy Susan if they wanted to.

That's what I thought. He turned her into some kind of hermaphrodite hybrid by mixing her with his body.... Yuck! :blink: It was terrible.

Imagine if one of you guys were possessed by a female entity and she took away your Pink Pecker Squadrons? Absolutely terrible.

Edited by Jemstone

Having a male character that looks more feminine then many of the ladies in Mac7 certianly wouldn't be a first for anime. They still do it the more recent shows. :wacko:

Exactly. Having Ivano Gunther be a girly man is much more logical (and consistent with anime) than Geperenich needlessly alterning Ivano's body. Other than being "merged" there weren't any visible alternations to Ivano's body... it'd be senseless for female breasts to be removed. The tentacles were extensions of Geperenich's "normal" Evil series body. As far as the armor... it's not like Ivano Gunther wore armor like that before possession, so thats not relevant to whether he was a man (much less woman) before.

I know they talk about Ivano Gunther during "Spiritia dreaming"... are there any gender pronouns in the Japanese as the two talk about him (Irane and whatever the guys name that Gigil possessed?)?