Arihiro Hase's Death

Ginrai

Well, this was back in 1996, so the Internet has changed a lot since then. Most of the places I heard about it probably no longer exist on the web. Maybe just fan misinformation from back then, but I'd like to hear something definitive one way or the other. All I can find on the Compendium is that it was a tragic death.

ANN, IMDB and Wikipedia all list his death as fall from height / suicide. Several other sites recycle / reuse the same bios from those three. I have not seen anything so far hinting at anything other than this fall from height / suicide death scenario.

Perhaps his death was initially reported as a motorcycle accident to cover up a suicide? I don't know, just guessing.

Edit: or perhaps (with all respect) he was on a motorcycle that somehow fell off a building? From the sound of things either there is one heck of a misinformation program re: this guy's death in place or he really did fall off a building.

In the commentary Mari Iijima does with Monica Rial, she sorta kinda implies (or I sorta kinda infer) that his death was more tragic than a mere accident. She does not say exactly how he died, though.

Vic Mignola then shows how classy he is in a later commentary with her when he does his "wing, wink, nudge, nudge" routine about how Mari Iijima and Arihiro Hase had a "thing" going during the original recording of Macross. You can can hear Mari Iijima's embarrassment, not to mention his as he flails about trying to wipe the egg off his face.

I guess to be fair to Mignola, he obviously did not know about it beforehand, and he did sorta sound genuinely sorry after she told him about Arihiro Hase.

I remember hearing back in the 90's that he died in a motorcycle accident or something, but now I read he committed suicide by jumping out of a window. Is that what actually happened? Did Hikaru's voice actor commit suicide?

On his Japanese Wikipedia bio, http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E9%95%B7%E8%...%9C%89%E6%B4%8B, it says that he fell from his parent's apartment, but it's unknown if it was a suicide.

I've always heard he was in a motorcycle accident.....and you can fall off a motorcycle if you hit something, you go flying and then fall :p

I'd think a motorcycle crash is alot more horrible then any other accident out there using a vehicle.

I always thought that he had died by some disease or something less tragic!. I read a recent interview with Mari Iijima for latinoamerica, and she mentioned that Aihiro was her best friend of the macross cast, but she never mentioned anything about his death.

If he commited suicide I think is an example of what's happening in the comtemporary japanese society, it's a true pity.

• 1 year later...

Earlier this week, I was browsing in the library of the university where I work, and I found an old issue of Comic Figure Oh which had an interview with Hase's parents, remembering the last couple of days before his death and the events leading up to it. It was indeed a suicide, he jumped from their 7th floor apartment. He visited his parents pretty much everyday and had dinner there. He had his own place in the city but said he "didn't want to go home" that night. He slept with his brother that night but got up and jumped in the early hours of the morning.

Anyway, I'm a bit too busy to translate the whole thing but that's the jist I remember from reading it on Tuesday. I'm putting it up here for anyone who's interested.

Oh, and please let us refrain from "smart" puns on bringing old threads "back to life", yeah all right, I get it, but let's please stay on the right side of the good taste line.

post-1318-1211119402_thumb.jpg

post-1318-1211119474_thumb.jpg

Your school's library has anime magazines?

It's Kyoto Seika University, the one that has the world's first Manga Faculty. So yeah, lots of materials there. Not enough for my purposes, though....

I think this is one of the reason why Kawamori doesn't want to make a new macross series featuring Hikaru, Misa and Minmey

From what I've heard, though, Kawamori decided that the Megaroad-1 fleet disappeared before Hase died.

From what I've heard, though, Kawamori decided that the Megaroad-1 fleet disappeared before Hase died.

Yeah, but don't forget that Hase had reprised the role of Hikaru in 1996 for "Macross Classic" just before he passed on.

And note that he was replaced by some random guy for that PS2 Macross game a few years back.

Earlier this week, I was browsing in the library of the university where I work, and I found an old issue of Comic Figure Oh which had an interview with Hase's parents, remembering the last couple of days before his death and the events leading up to it. It was indeed a suicide, he jumped from their 7th floor apartment. He visited his parents pretty much everyday and had dinner there. He had his own place in the city but said he "didn't want to go home" that night. He slept with his brother that night but got up and jumped in the early hours of the morning.

Thanks for clearing that up, I always wondered if the suicide was an urban legend, now I know it's true. Whatever demons Hase wrestled with, I hope he's found peace now.

By the way, could you please post the Comic Figure Oh volume number and year?