Toynami Announces Masterpiece Cyclones at Toyfair

Didn't see anything posted on this yet

From Toymania:

MPC Cyclones

The Robotech Masterpiece Collection returns with this all-new assortment focusing on the Cyclones! These high-quality, ultra-detailed transformable vehicles offer an authentic re-creation of the ultimate in personal combat/transportation gear.

Each volume is limited in production, and is packaged in our trademark "book-style" box with slide-out tray, allowing for safe storage and "forever mint-in-box packaging."

Volume 1: Scott Bernard's Cyclone

Volume 2: Lancer's Cyclone

Volume 3: Sue Graham's Cyclone

1. Fully transformable from motorcycle to armored suit

2. Die-cast metal and plastic construction

3. Highly articulated action figure

4. Authentic rubber tires

[attachmentid=40311]

[attachmentid=40312]

Imai's 1/12 Model Kit

post-515-1171175848_thumb.jpg

post-515-1171175859_thumb.jpg

post-515-1171175903_thumb.jpg

I could be wrong, but I don't think Imai ever made a variable kit of the Bartley model...

it's interesting that they listed a Sue Graham model which is just the Bartley model in black.

So, either that did have to do some original sculpting or they'll take the lazy way out and use one of the male models and just paint it black

Yes...it does look like the imai kits. Geez can't HG do anything original.

Well, how different can it really look? I saw some differences. Definite must buy for me, unless Yamato announces something better. We'll see if the rider is truely "highly articulated." It'd be nice if it had a neck joint so he could actually see while riding.

I too wonder if the Alphas will have any improvements. Kinda doubt it, though.

Anyway, I hope the Cyclones turn out better than the Toynami Beta Fighter. :rolleyes:

Edited by danth

Toynami....copying.....an existing design?

Bite your tongues! Toynami would never stoop that low. Obviously what has happened here is that Imai engineers developed time travel in the mid 80's, came forward in time and copied Toynami's designs.

Some people man....no faith.....toynami rocks....mutter.... <_<

I love Mospeada, but I can't say I'm too excited.

I've just never liked the "cyclone." "Alphas" and "betas" I love, and all the "invid," but the "cyclones" I think I'll skip.

For a Beta to go with my Alphas...or a set of 1/48 Invid. Ohhh.

But no.

I guess some people will be happy.

I guess.

Eh? Lancer had swords? It's been a while since I watched The New Generation.

Not only that, but isn't Lancer and his ride known as "Blow Superior" in Japan?

Also, I don't see why they'd skip over the Beta/Tread and skip right on over to the Cyclones...

maybe because they can't figure out how to copy the Gakken/Lansey Tread and scale it up to make it work with their MPC Alpha :p

Nope, the Toynami Tread seemed to be a totally new design. Perhaps that's a clue to why it didn't work out...

Anyway the blatant anti-Rand/Rey views of HG and Toynami aside, the choice of Sue instead of main series character smacks of similar thinking as the choice to make a Ben Dixon MPC, the ability to claim the very first version of her Cyclone produced in the world...

Nope, the Toynami Tread seemed to be a totally new design. Perhaps that's a clue to why it didn't work out...

I know it's a new design. That was my point is they had to come up with something on their own because they couldn't figure out how to copy and scale up the Gakken/Lansey Tread. Cyclone, I guess you are missing the sarcasm in my post. It seems like most of their products "borrow" heavily from something already established. If Imai had made a variable Tread that was compatible with their Legioss kit (which the toynami alpha seemed to be based on) then the Beta probably wouldn't be vaporware. But since the only pre-existing variable tread is the Gakken, they couldn't do it (different scale, Tread was a toy, Legioss was a model, both by different companies).

But whatever, you posted exactly my point when you said "the Toynami Tread seemed to be a totally new design. Perhaps that's a clue to why it didn't work out..." <_<

Edited by chowyunskinny

I know it's a new design. That was my point is they had to come up with something on their own because they couldn't figure out how to copy and scale up the Gakken/Lansey Tread.

IMO nothing of value in copying the Lansey (which IIRC Toynami had an example of) for a larger design that would be compatable with their Alpha designs, too cut down a transformation in regards to the body (ignoring the arms completely)

Anyone looking for Lancer's swords in New Gen (or Mospeada) won't see them. His ride armor has them but they're never in the animation.

I don't like the Cyclones as toys. Honestly, the MPC Alpha is a step-up from Imai's kit and I'm sure the Cyclone will also be much better than the model kit. That said, 10 to 20 years later a toy should be a TON better than that model and once again Toynami's mild improvements just won't be enough. That said, there's no way this will be a three volume MPC, we'll see Fuke and Rey no doubt, as well as a Vince in synchro attire.

It's very depressing to see that the Shadow figures are just the exact same Alphas with different hands/heads/paint jobs. I don't see an obvious improvement in any way... except they knew to take pictures to hide the arched back. Let's hope there's improvement that fixes that. Obviously no ball joints at the hip and I doubt they took the diecast out of the forearms so don't expect anything good from Shadow toys.

Toynami = Bad QC.

Yeah, you'd think people would remember that by now. Collectors have it drummed into their heads by the vocal majority that you have to "watch out" for anything Yamato produces, yet whenever Toynami announces something new they get all giddy and shout "lol i m gonna by 3 of em!!!111!"

I was ecstatic about the Toynami VF-1, only to be horribly let down.

I was ecstatic about the Toynami Legioss, only to be horribly let down again.

I was ecstatic about the Toynami Tread, only to be horribly let down yet again.

Considering how much more complex / fragile the ride armor models are above the Legioss and Valkyrie designs, my faith that Toynami can pull this off is actually in negative numbers. I predict stories of wheel swing arms snapping off right out of the box, hands disintegrating and all other myriad of issues being posted when these things come out.

I learned my harsh lesson, to never, ever, under any circumstances get excited about anything Toynami claims to be releasing. It's a negative way to live but it keeps me from throwing a $80 toy at the wall when I wait and wait and wait for it only to have it fall apart in my hands.

I was ecstatic about the Toynami VF-1, only to be horribly let down.

I was ecstatic about the Toynami Legioss, only to be horribly let down again.

I was ecstatic about the Toynami Tread, only to be horribly let down yet again.

Considering how much more complex / fragile the ride armor models are above the Legioss and Valkyrie designs, my faith that Toynami can pull this off is actually in negative numbers. I predict stories of wheel swing arms snapping off right out of the box, hands disintegrating and all other myriad of issues being posted when these things come out.

I learned my harsh lesson, to never, ever, under any circumstances get excited about anything Toynami claims to be releasing. It's a negative way to live but it keeps me from throwing a $80 toy at the wall when I wait and wait and wait for it only to have it fall apart in my hands.

I disagreed with you when the Alphas came out I think I just happened to get a good blue one though. But I bought the next ones to come out and they were utter crap... didn't fit, weak plastic, bad paint job. But I thought... well, I'll just get it because they're gonna come out with the Tread/Beta... :rolleyes:

I might pass on these as I have on Voltron (which looks good) if I happen to hear terribly good reviews then I'll get one. It's really too bad that Toynami has this license because they can't seem to improve designs or make sturdy toys. Yeah, yeah, I heard about poor Yamato QC, but the only toy I have yet to break on me is the Garland. But I love Mospeada designs and wish there was a way to get Yamato-type ingenuity and increase in scale.

They should really put swappable lower legs on these so the rider can sit on the bike right. no matter how much they make it shorten those boots are always gonna be too fat. Another thing about the Imai design, where the torso goes in Ride Armor mode... it's all wrong when its a motorcycle. The Gakken toy version has it more correct. The neck opening should be where the radiator is. Keeping it like that just makes the Mospeada bike look ugly.

oh yeah... what about the freakin gun? How many times did you see Scott use that freakin gun, once or twice? Why dont they make the ones they use more in the damn cartoon?

... that's a general rant againts all the companies that make Mospeada toys... if anything Toynami can get that part right.

cool, a cyclone finally coming out, but wish they continued the betas. i may be interested in one if i hear good reviews. i wonder when it comes out... also if thats scott's head from orginal series or TSC.

btw, thoses shadow alphas look nice too, better than the vol. 4 one. i wanna see what maia's alpha looks like in other forms. i wanted hers for some reason. =P

Edited by Hikaru's VF-1S

I think it looks very good compared to the older models. looks like the figure will have way more posability and I like the little details like the thigh armor acutally connecting to the calf armor.

though, given how craptacular my alpha is, I think I'll be waiting on this one.

Oh no... this is going to be a disasture... I was pretty sure that model kit was really fragile already... and that means there's NO way Toynami can make them durable and sturdy... there's no reason for them to be copying a however many-years old model kit and not put a little money into making a new design for it... it;s just shoddy business practice.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Ride Armor design, and would like nothing more than to have this toy turn out amazing and willingfully buy every single release bc/ of how good it is, but time has proved that just won't happen....

And why the hell is the only mecha design from SC a rehashed (and seemingly unchanged) Legioss? Were there any original mecha designs in SC? We saw some new ships, but they were nothing special...