Which is the best of Kawamori's Valkyrie?

valhary

I'd have to go with the YF-19 for my over all favorite, and the YF-21 only taking second because I don't like how spindely the legs look.

The SW-XA1 Schneeblume is my favorite VF. It's the updated and modern VF-1 version.

The YF-21 is a close second ;)

Thats cool. I'd forgotten about that one. That would be one I'd like to own as 1/48 size toy.

As much as like the 19, the VF-1 is my favorite overall.

I would have to say not the VF-1, since the VF-0 is basically the same design only improved.

But would it win in a fight in space against the vf-1? No strike cannon option, less powerful engine always running out of fuel, the feeling of it being rushed because the anti-un had better planes.. and too big. Probably slower overall and easier to hit in a combat situation on the ground. Bigger means you can't fit as many and the zentradi outnumber humans.

It's not always what a machine looks like on the outside that gives it power, sometimes the insides are overlooked. :D But yeah I am only semi-serious. I still think the vf-1 manages to win because of the super valk upgrade kit that beefs up the firepower and speed. The ghost looks only semi-useful for both battroid and fighter. (it's heavy and the thrust isn't good, plus the vf-0 is already bigger than vf-1 so that compounds the problem. Ghost booster = half-assed experiment like the underarm gun for the yf-19)

So the vf-1 has more usefulness against giants, (smaller but faster) mecha (more manueverable for space which you'll need against Qrau) and dogfights. (no more time limits - the most annoying fault as seen in the show)

Another thing I forgot to mention is how I like the way a pilot comes out of the battroid through its head in battroid mode vs coming out of the chest plate/stomach in vf-0 battroid mode. Standing on the shoulder is going to give you a better view. VF-1 being more complex wins again. Imagine if you were to fight a giant, he pins the robot against a wall, and you can't move? What do you do? Jump out from the height of the robot? I'd rather eject and fly up into the air on a seat with boosters hoping the self destruct takes the giant with the robot. Not as much running imo. UN Spacy didn't design the vf-0 to be good against the giants, more as a stopgap against humans. (in this case anti-un)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

The VF-1S wins no contest here, move along pll. ;)

The vf-1s is the most coolest in robot mode. Its very stable, tight joint, and great transformation with locking systems, and feels like you are not being ripped-off for the money you are paying. The vf-0s doesnt have that feeling. Sure, it maybe nice in plane mode, but in robot mode, i think the vf-1s shines the most.

Since i dont have the yf-19, i cant talk, other than say that i see alot of problem threads on them. Hopefully the 2nd/3rd edition will be a charm.

Now, after the vf-1s, my favorate is the vf-0a. Beatifull color, more locking mechanism, and NO disapointments, like the vf-0s was.

The SW-XA1 Schneeblume is my favorite VF. It's the updated and modern VF-1 version.

The YF-21 is a close second ;)

I like those alot...slick..f-22ish ..

How bout these ..OD's

post-698-1171016544_thumb.jpg

post-698-1171016580_thumb.jpg

Edited by orguss01

The VF-1S wins no contest here, move along pll. ;)

The vf-1s is the most coolest in robot mode. Its very stable, tight joint, and great transformation with locking systems, and feels like you are not being ripped-off for the money you are paying. The vf-0s doesnt have that feeling. Sure, it maybe nice in plane mode, but in robot mode, i think the vf-1s shines the most.

If you're referring to the yammie 1/48 valk, yes. But in Fighter/Gerwalk mode, the VF-1A's smaller head appears more flush to the underside of the nose :D

IPB Image

IPB Image

The A-12 isn't a prototype SR-71, either. It's simply the A-12, and more than a few were built and put into service. There was actually a fly-off between the A-12 and SR-71 to decide which version to focus on.

Anyways, I've seen the term "hypercritical" used to describe a wing like 3 times in as many days. As far as I can tell, it's not really an aerodynamics term, and if anything, seems to mean either "an extreme version of a supercritical airfoil" (which makes no sense--something either is or isn't supercritical--it can be semi-supercritical, but once you are fully supercritical--you can't be even MORE supercritical)

Or---people are meaning "literally extremely critical--as in important or sensitive"---having no relation to the term supercritical, and usually referring to alpha.

Either way, it'd be invisible on a toy. ::checks YF-19 just to be sure:: Hmmn, if anything the Yamato YF-19 is flat out wrong--the trailing edge is thicker than the leading edge, and more rounded-it's just plain backwards. But ironically, is semi-supercritical.

Anyways, I've seen the term "hypercritical" used to describe a wing like 3 times in as many days. As far as I can tell, it's not really an aerodynamics term, and if anything, seems to mean either "an extreme version of a supercritical airfoil"

Ah. Looks like I've been misusing terminology for a while then. I had thought that the term was "hyper-" rather than "super-" critical. Ta for the clarification.

(That's one of the things I like about Macrossworld. I learn useful real-world stuff here as well as stuff about mecha).

Karl

The best Kawamori is simply the one that started it all

every follow up just was a redesign for esthetic/modern times

Kawamori even claimed that later designs were built for viable toyproduction

(Like the VF-0's Bandai Swingbars)

Personally, I think the Escaflowne is a very interesting design

Mechs=good

boob=very good

mechs with boobs=not so good.

but to answer the question, I would say the best fighter is the VF-4 the best gerwalk is the SV-51 and the best batroid is the VF-1(J)

the SV-51 is my personal favorite overall, it's the most aggressive and intimidating of the variable mechs.

I agree totally

Chronologically speaking, isn't the VF-0 a prototype for the VF-1? I can't see how the VF-0 is a more 'updated, modern' design of the VF-1 :p

VF-1S all the way.

IPB Image

You are right. Is kind of confusing this cronological thing because vf-0, apparently, is more advanced that vf-1 when the first one is the prototype.

The A-12 isn't a prototype SR-71, either. It's simply the A-12, and more than a few were built and put into service. There was actually a fly-off between the A-12 and SR-71 to decide which version to focus on.

Anyways, I've seen the term "hypercritical" used to describe a wing like 3 times in as many days. As far as I can tell, it's not really an aerodynamics term, and if anything, seems to mean either "an extreme version of a supercritical airfoil" (which makes no sense--something either is or isn't supercritical--it can be semi-supercritical, but once you are fully supercritical--you can't be even MORE supercritical)

Or---people are meaning "literally extremely critical--as in important or sensitive"---having no relation to the term supercritical, and usually referring to alpha.

Either way, it'd be invisible on a toy. ::checks YF-19 just to be sure:: Hmmn, if anything the Yamato YF-19 is flat out wrong--the trailing edge is thicker than the leading edge, and more rounded-it's just plain backwards. But ironically, is semi-supercritical.

the reason because the yf-19´s airfoil has that shape is that supersonic airfoils doesn´t work the same way subsonic airfoil does. supersonic use shock waves to produce lift.

Edited by maxi

IMHO, the best VFs are the one's from Macross 7. Not for any of the obvious reasons, of course, but for the unobvious ones: they are a mastery of 'economy of line'.

They are a collection of simple lines, that results in a complex image. Kawamori's skill, and experience is very apparent in them.

The best Kawamori VF in my eyes is the VF-1 series. Elegant, powerful, and it doesn't have overcomplicated linework for the sake of it.

The best VF-1 model to me: VF-1J

The best VF-1J scheme shown in any Macross show to me: Max's blue VF-1J from SDF Macross. Millia's red-1J is a close second, since the red used is a bit dark and not bright and hokey. Besides, a darker red goes well for a warrior! Hikaru's white / red -1J is fine but has become too standardized with released merchandise for my own taste.

1) VF-1 : Simple, yet cool and elegant. You can add a buttload of firepower and speed with the tough-looking fast packs or you can bulk it up with the armor kit. And lets not forget that it is the one that started it all. The VF-1S variant is my favourite just due to the head design(eye piece to be specific).

2) YF-21 : Very cool design. Innovative control system and the really godod specs. Battroid mode is a little wierd looking though. (lets not forget how great flew Max a VF-22 in M7)

3) YF-19 : New frest look. Looks good in all modes. (bumped down to 3rd because i feel like the Kai fighter from M7 makes the 19 look bad)

4) VF-4 : You know i didn't like this one until I saw vf-1s' custom SHE build-up, now i really dig this one. All 3 modes look so different and cool at the same time. I espeacially like how the main engines are on the wings.

5) VF-17 : Well, pretty much just the fact that it looks so sleek and smooth in fighter mode.

hmm... tough call. I respect the VF-1 because its an original and they used the mock of it in TF. -=X, but...

I'd say VF-22 because Max pilot the plane so damn well in M7. Only to place ontop of this is because the VF-22 is the closest in schematics to reverting back for Mind Controlled piloting like the 21. Imagine Max with a mind controlable VF-22!?!?!??

Yet this also makes me wonder why they didn't give Max and Myria a VF-19 instead? Is it because the VF-22/YF-21 have the most similarity as that of the Queadluun-Rau (like the ones that zentradi sized Max and Myria piloted in the end of the Original Macross Movie)?

Or imagine the VF-19 with mind controlled piloting capabilities. Ehhh w/e mind as well put mind controlled piloting capabilities in all the VFs. XD

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX

• 4 weeks later...

The vf-1 is my favorite valk, vf-1s focker type specifically. The skull 001 is the flagship of macross. I love the minimalist style of the vf-1! B))

My second... definitely the yf-19. Looks very extreme and agressive in all 3 modes.

The yf-21 is my third favorite, a true big bad boy. I love the gamlin's vf-22 color scheme.

Personally I don't like the sv-51 very much, but yes, in gerwalk mode is one of the best. Looks very organic, like a dark nasty bird.

Kawamori is going into a more realistic style I guess. He's the best mecha designer, second to Kazutaka Miyatake of course.