My completed Hasegawa VF-1J

GunnerX

Wow!!

Absolutely fantastic, it looks great! Great work. A tip about the wheels, spray them white first, then paint the black on by hand, it will save you a masking step - but your way looks great too!

Come on, lets see some more photos of your fantastic bird!! Try to stop down on the aperature (use a smaller opening or higher F-stop number such as f11, f16 or f22) so we can see all of it in focus :D

Keep up the excellent work GunnerX!

wow, that's really nice. I haven't seen the panel line detail on these Hasegaw VF- kits until now. Really crisp and thin (though I heard that that can become a problem on some kits, where they're TOO thin) What kind of wash and shading tech did you use?

Sebastian, Toonz, GabeQ, Jawjaw, gnollman, Macross_Fanboy, AKD001 -> Thanks! I really appreciate all your comments! Really spurs me on to want to build more! :D

AKD001 -> Here is the sequence of my painting i took from my other thread :

The layers go like this :

base coat -> white paint -> clear coat -> washes -> clear coat -> decal -> clear coat -> washes -> clear coat!

Yes, if too much paint is sprayed on, the panel lines tend to get submerged! Esp. for these hasegawa kits and their superfine lines.. :) I just used the Hasegawa Tritools saw scriber to scribe out lines which became too recessed!

After spraying white over the model, i would usually use a fine nozzle/needle airbrush to trace over the panel lines on the model. i mixed a bit of off-white and sky grey to get a slightly darker shade. You can trace as much/little over the panel lines depending on how weathered you want your plane to look!

Once the pre-shading is done, i start on the washes. I use black enamel paints to do the panel lining, dilute till you're satisfied with the dilution ( i usually look at whether there are a lot of paint particles ie. clearer = lighter lines, thicker = dark lines.) Again, all this is personal preference.

Dab the diluted paint into the panel line and capillary action takes over, don't worry about it getting messy as you can wipe off the excess with ENAMEL thinner. ( Remember! Enamel thinner k? I use Tamiya X-20A) :)