So what scale is yamatos 1/48th really?

calvin

I have been looking for the answer to this,maybe you all can help,yamatos 1/48th scale isn't true,so what scale is it? is it 1/44 or 1/40? I used the scale conversion chart awhile ago and got both of the 1/44-1/40? anyway anybody build 1/48th tamiya or other brands and notice this? I know it's not a big deal but it's interseting <_<

You are questioning an artical of faith, my child!

Kidding :-)

I think the 1/48's sculpt was so optimised for fighter mode that the battroid proportions sufferred (terribly). Thus you can't get accurate scale measurements across all three modes against the 'official specs'.

Yeah when reasearching my 1/55 custom I used the data and measured every Battroid figure/kit I have.

The measurements vary wildly from scale to scale even suposedly same scale stuff is all out of wack.

I ended up doing a mean average of all the measurements from the various scales from 1/200 to 1/48 Yamie.

Not so sure now if any of them are actually "acurate".

The amount of error in scale I believe is acceptable.

It has produced a great product that does not suffer the ugliness of the articulation of the 1/60s.

Very true remember also that it`s a product trying to do the best when it`s "real life" counterpart is made to work with so much anime magic.

I have a couple of 1/43 scale cars [which would be fractionally 'larger' than 1/48?] on the dresser next to my VF-1S, and Roy looks like he could hop in and drive one quite comfortably. If you use the 'official' dimensional measures that are floating around out there, then a real life VF would be about the same size as an F-16 Falcon [though ever so slightly shorter at the vert. stabilizers]. That's the frame of reference I go by.

P.S. Does anybody have any pics of the 1/60 VF-0 next to a 1/48 VF? [As if there isn't scale confusion enough already] from the pics that I've seen, the pilot fig. from the VF-0 looks to me like it's the same size as the one with the 1/48. What gives?

Edited by reddsun1

Very true remember also that it`s a product trying to do the best when it`s "real life" counterpart is made to work with so much anime magic.

Hiding the swing bars on the 1/48 was a major engineering feat in itself.

I just finished a Tamiya 1/48 tank kit, and the figures to go along with it are a hair bigger than the Yamato pilot I think, but well within reasonable size... I'd say as a fighter the 1/48 really is pretty fairly 1/48 scale.

The thing that's always confused me is that people cite 1/60 scale as being the same as 28mm (standard wargaming scale) but as far as I can tell, that is completely impossible and untrue...

Don't base scales off Yamato's pilot figures as they're off. Roy is well over 1 ft taller that Hikaru, yet their pilot figures are the same size. Then there's Kakizaki who should barely be able to squeeze into a cockpit, yes his pilot figure is just as slender as Hikaru's. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Yamato for using the same pilot figure across the board as it makes perfect financial sense, but we shouldn't be using the pilot figures as a method of measuring the toys scale.

And let's not even get started with the 1/60 VF-1 and 1/72 pilots. "Spud Guld" is only in scale with...an abomination! :p

True, the pilot figures really aren't all that correct, but at least in the case of the 1/48, if we just take that figure as a scale 'average person' and not worry about character size, then they seem to scale up alright...

But no, Gummy Guld really isn't in scale with anything except maybe ....I dunno, lemmings!