Catseye vacuum-form canopy?

specr0101

I thought I'd ask...

Does any one have a original Tanmen vacuum form cast for the canopy and has the ability to make a copy for me? The two canopies that I have are in terrible shape. The form is warped and unusable. I'd be willing to pay for them...

On another note, has anyone completed a Catseye? There seems to be an absence of pictures of built ones. Are they that rare?

I thought I'd ask...

Does any one have a original Tanmen vacuum form cast for the canopy and has the ability to make a copy for me? The two canopies that I have are in terrible shape. The form is warped and unusable. I'd be willing to pay for them...

On another note, has anyone completed a Catseye? There seems to be an absence of pictures of built ones. Are they that rare?

I'm sorry but I can't help you with the canopy.

As far as why you don't see built ones... I think they're so rare no one wants to build theirs and ruin the value.

I have one and I really want to build it but I'm scared I'll mess it up. I don't think my skills are at the level I want them to be.

Give me one ill build it. Its only worth alot to those who know what it is. Either way though ill build it. Johns stuff is limited release too yeti build it. And his stuff is way better than tanmens

TRUE !!

Thanks for the kind comments!

That was my first resin model. The fit was poor, parts were warped, and voids were everywhere! It took me about a month of build time. Sand, fill, sand, prime, fill, sand, etc... After that kit, I look forward to my 1/72 Hasegawa's! :p

Thanks for the kind comments!

That was my first resin model. The fit was poor, parts were warped, and voids were everywhere! It took me about a month of build time. Sand, fill, sand, prime, fill, sand, etc... After that kit, I look forward to my 1/72 Hasegawa's! :p

Should be a breeze compared to that.

That's kind of discouraging news. I have my Cat's Eye kit next in my build queue. I guess it's gonna be a big pain to put together. It looks worth it though. If mine comes out half as good as yours, I'll be happy.

I thought I'd ask...

Do you have the small resin plugs needed to re-create the canopy? They were the small plugs located inside the vacuform sheet that came with the Tanmen kit. If you have those, I can help. ;)

I have the resin plugs(canopy cast) but they are warped and I did try to rework them to some extent but the canopies I formed from them do not come close to fitting. I was considering making a new set of canopies from plaster and trying again with the vacuum-form machine.

How about clear resin or epoxy? Does anyone have ideas on how to form a canopy from other materials?

I have the resin plugs(canopy cast) but they are warped and I did try to rework them to some extent but the canopies I formed from them do not come close to fitting. I was considering making a new set of canopies from plaster and trying again with the vacuum-form machine.

How about clear resin or epoxy? Does anyone have ideas on how to form a canopy from other materials?

The plugs are warped?? Were they re-cast this way?

You're best canopy for this type would be vacum formed. Clear resin would have to be a bit thick so it could be polished crystal clear, without warping or breaking.

Yep, it's a recast... <_<

You must have gotten a nice copy. The RADOME on mine is deformed, and I am still trying to figure

out how to make a new one.

As for the canopy, are the vacuformed copies total crap? If not, there is a product called Durham's Rock

Hard Water Putty that you can use to make new masters. You mix it up per directions, pour it into the

vacuformed canopy, and let it dry. When it dries, it shrinks just a bit so you can pop it out without

destroying the canopy. You can then fix any defects in the plug and use it as a new master.

Grayson,

I have a friend who is a dentist and has a vacuum form machine he uses for patients. I was at his office using the Squadron brand thermoform sheets. It sucks down fine, but the molds are terrible. If you can let me borrow them, I could make a couple extra sets for you and pay for shipping both ways. Or you can have Valkyrie make the extra sets for everyone. That is fine too. Thanks!

Azrhino,

Actually my recast was terrible. I sanded and filled quite a bit. I even had to bend a few parts in hot water to get a workable shape. My best advice, use the dremel and be very careful! You will make better progress than handsanding. I got copy from Ebay awhile back. It was the only catseye I could find. The landing gear was casted in resin but is missing a set of wheels and a front strut. The wing, fuselage, and radome were warped. Decals were sourced from Hasegawa extras. Believe me, it took alot of effort to appear that way in the pic. Good luck with yours!