Sega Saturn emulation

GutsAndCasca

Alright, I've managed to find a great website that you can download quite a few Sega Saturn games from. The problem now is I can't get any emulators to work. If someone has actually succeeded in this department, please let me know! Thank you. Also, I'm trying to find Shining Force 3 (for Saturn) and if anybody can help, once again, thanks. While I'm at it, heck, if someone knows where I can get any Sega CD ISO's that'd be great! I have plenty of rom files (for just about every system) that I can trade or throw around or whatever if anybody requires recompense for their troubles.

Many thanks and ciao!

--Bri

Okay, I found an emulator called SSF that works really nice! You just have to change the region code constantly depending on where your rom (iso,bin, whatever) comes from. And make sure you have the bios files. If anybody else ever needs any help in this department, lemme' know; I can help. My previous questions still stand. *see above post* Also... any experts on the ZiNC program around here?

---Bri

How's that for basically answering my own post, eh?

Pet peeve of mine... the only Saturn "roms" in existence are the BIOS image, King of Fighters WTFEver, and Ultraman. Because Saturn games came on CDs.

ROM does not mean "pirated software." It actually refers to silicon chips with data imbedded in them. I'll grudgingly accept the mis-application of it to ROM images, but I'm still gonna argue if you call disk images "roms."

So, will SSF allow me to play my DRYL game discs for Saturn? I'd like to play it again, but really don't want to go dig out my Saturn again.

Probably.

I don't have a copy of SS DYRL to check if it actually runs right, but SSF DOES support real disks(actually, it ONLY supports real disks, though you can trick it with virtual drives like Daemon Tools).

SSF requires a fair bit of processor, though. Official requirements are a 3GHz P4, or an Athlon64 3200+

Not exactly cutting edge anymore, but still moderately beefy.

I have no idea where to download any macross game for the Saturn... I didn't know one existed. But, www.emulanium.com has a lot of games for download. (Those that haven't been snatched up by ESA guidelines yet) SSF is a pretty easy emulator to use, but yeah, you do need a pretty fast computer as well as daemon tools.

Downloading the ISO's for Macross DYRL for Saturn might be kinda tricky since ISO's are pretty large by nature (500+ mb usually). On top of that, Macross DYRL encompasses two CD's and, sadly, isn't in high demand. Your best shot would be to try IRC or possibly a torrent site specializing in Saturn ISO's.

Therein lies my problem; I know a couple of great mirc sites for rom files, but I'm still trying to find one with Sega CD and Sega Saturn ISOs. By the way TheLoneWolf... I bet I'd whoop ya' on KOF, you pick the year. :D

Wow. I guess my 5 yr old desktop won't be running that anytime soon (P4 1.8GHz). I guess I'd better break out my Saturn if I want some DYRL action.

*gazes into a crystal ball*

I sense an upgrade in your future...

You cannot resist the Core Duo...

Spooky mystical background noises...

I looked into purchasing a Saturn for nostalgiac purposes. I read somewhere that the hardware on the Saturn was actually slightly superior to that of the playstation! It's kind of sad that Sega got shut down so hard on this one. But anyway. A Saturn system seems to be around 150 to 200 bucks... way out of my price range for nostalgia.

Wow, really? Anyway, my 4 in 1 action-replay-plus still works despite being 10 years old. I did forget to change the battery in my Saturn, meaning that my saved game information is gone. Oh well. DYRL wasn't difficult to play, anyway...

I looked into purchasing a Saturn for nostalgiac purposes. I read somewhere that the hardware on the Saturn was actually slightly superior to that of the playstation! It's kind of sad that Sega got shut down so hard on this one. But anyway. A Saturn system seems to be around 150 to 200 bucks... way out of my price range for nostalgia.

Saturn was a bit more powerful, and had a bit more RAM. But it was also a lot harder to bring the full might to bear. The simplicity of the PS1 made it much easier to develop for, especially since Sony was offering C++ libraries with the dev kits(they were the first in the industry to move away from raw assembly language dev kits).

Saturn was also a lot more expensive to make, which really hurt Sega during the price war.

And Sega Japan was trying to make Sega America look bad as revenge for making the Genesis a success when it flopped in Japan(seriously).