25th Anniversary GI Joe

JELEINEN

Where did you hear that from? There are more coming. I think most of the stuff coming out is being held back for the Joe con, which is earlier this year than last.

Also, the comic listings at TNI are most likely false. If you read the original post, the poster says he heard of the listing through his grandma who works at walmart and knows someone. Right....

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5515 (Hasbro's Toy Fair Press Release)

G.I. JOE vs. COBRA Comic 2-Packs

(Approximate retail price $9.99; Ages 5 & up; Available: Now, with additional waves throughout the year) One of the most popular comics of the 1980s returns to the toy aisle with brand new stories written by G.I. JOE legend Larry Hama. Each G.I. JOE vs. COBRA comic 2-packs comes with a full-sized comic, along with two 3-3/4-inch figures designed to look just like their comic iterations. Twelve unique packs -- each containing two figures -- will arrive at stores throughout 2008.

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5543 (Contributing Thread)

Here's hoping for more waves, def. want to see some EELs esp., but i can't say for certain with the kind of information the press release points to.

That is from the press release so its legit for sure. They aren't being held back or postponed. To be honest while they did say 12, it might just be 12 from now until fall, in total we might have more in 2008. I think most of the big guns are being saved for the joe con and SDCC. Exclusives to stores are unveiled at the joecon and I have a feeling some of the bigger vehicles are saved for that.

I'm not sure if you guys read the toyfair movie preview rundown DESTRO did at hisstank, but he did mention there is a new Night Raven in the movie and that it is immediately recognizable.

Got 4 2 packs last night. Tomax &Xamot, Wild Weasel & Ace, CG & Scarface, and SE and SS. The only one I haven't been able to find yet is destro and breaker. Should be soon enough though since they are starting to show up more in force here.

I was finally able to snag all of wave 6 at wal Mart during my lunch break. They had multiples of each figure. The only drawback was the increased price of $5.44. Wal mart has restocked various toy lines very hard this last month. Star Wars, Gi joe, Halo, Transformers, and Marvel legends have seen numerous figures in their aisles.

Was an awesome day today, had a great haul at TRU and WalMart. Picked up the destro/breaker to complete the 2 pack line for me and a Torpedo to finish the singles. Then at TRU I got a nice surprise in finding the 2 5 packs there. Picked up the Nightwatch and the Red Ninjas packs, all in all it was a successful hunt. Usually don't have that good of luck on the weekends.

Finally found IG Destro, Snow Job, and the rest of the wave 3 comic packs!!!

^_^ ^_^ ^_^

Still haven't seen wave 6 - but that's ok, I'm close to getting caught up!

Didn't know the TRU exclusives were out already ... I might get that Nightwatch pack.

Edited by Vermillion21

so I decided to step into Kay bee toy store for the first time in like ages, and I ended up walking out with a destro and beach head. Cool thing was the rest of the joes left were all cobra troopers and officers. So this is good for those who want to army build. Yeah, the price is a dollar more than target, but oh well, at least they have joes on the pegs! ^_^

Thanks mate .... problem is, by the time I read a post on where the figures can be found, I figure they'll be gone by the time I get there to buy 'em.

:mellow:

Yeah, unfortunately that's usually the case. Beyond having your friends and family keep an eye out, i think the TRU packs will slowly start to saturate the shelves more. IIRC TRU usually has a habit of over ordering on their exclusives... let's hope either the trend continues or the demand isn't as high as it is with the standard releases. :huh:

Picked up the Crimson Twins and the Fred & Scarface comic packs today. Found both of 'em at one of the most inconsistent Walmarts around my area (in terms of stocking/restocking toys). Also found the Ace/Wild Weasel pack there too, but the Ace had too much of a bug-eyed look to him.

So far, the Targets in my area seem to be the best places to go to find the latest Joes. Found the regular CG, Rock N' Roll, and Snow Job at Targets this past week. (Still searching for Flash, Torpedo, and maybe, IG Destro.)

RnR has the same arms as Duke/Flint, so expect to do some cuttings to make trigger fingers and to improve the elbow articulation.

I also painted the regular CG's mask silver (instead of leaving the whole thing black). The mask still looks like a gorilla-face. But the silver seems to improve the mask's look a great deal.

I definitely like the shape of the Fred/Comic Pack CG's mask a heckuva lot more. So, we'll see how it looks in silver (once I get around to painting it).

As for Scarface, I think I'm gonna touch up his scars a bit to make them more red. It's kinda hard to see the facial scars on the figure, even if you're looking at it really, really close up.

I'll post pics of the touch-ups tomorrow (or whenever I finally get to doing them all :wacko: ).

Finally saw some at walmart, the Canadian releases suck compared to the american ones (packaging looks dumber)...

a friend who runs a hobby shop is ordering in the American releases for himself and getting whole waves for me now too... but that doesn't help with exclusives and past waves...

It sucks!

Finally got around to putting my Snake Eyes and Stalker variants on eBay. When sets are going for over 250 for the two I just couldn't sit on them anymore.

As promised, here are some pics of the touch-ups I did:

post-3595-1205506156_thumb.jpg

It's really hard to tell now, but I do prefer the slightly wider look of the comic-pack CG's mask. But the one thing that really sucks about the comic-pack CG is that the neck is craned/tilted forward too much. It gives ol' Fred that bored, slacker teenager look.

Also, I got around to opening the Crimson Twins set, and I noticed one really cool thing I didn't see before: the packaging has that silver, mirror-like striping off to the sides.....just like the original, old-school packaging!! ^_^

Lastly, I'm really digging this updated version of Snow Job; THIS is how you improve on the original, vintage version!!

Edited by Mog

Mog, I like the silver accents on the CG helmets. I was curious how that would look. The lighting in the first picture makes it look really good with it still be dark and muted enough. The second picture shows some of my concern over the silver winding up being too bright (although not as bad as I thought it might). I might try a gun metal or something either darker or applied thinner and see what I wind up with. But I have to agree that adding a little metallic to the face plate adds something (and makes it look a bit more like the package painting).

I have to agree on both thr wider helmet being nicer, but the neck on Fred looks off.

Only recently got my hands on the wave 3 comic packs and haven't had time to give my opinion (still don't to go into full details right now), but definitely have to agree with Shin on the newer comics... it's like Hasbro went to Hama and said, "Give us a three paragraph vignette on this or that and we'll turn it into a comic."

And the Ace/Wild Weasel reprint choice was a disappointment. I personally would've gone for the 'Ace/Lady Jaye/Skystriker vs. WW/Baroness/Rattler' issue (it was in the 30's of the original run). That was classic Hama: personal, understated, well paced, and enough military stuff without sticking to reality too much and making it boring. Instead we get an issue with three pages of Ace, a few of WW, and mostly the Stealth Fighter. And all Ace does is ignore a carrier's wave off and brings a burning XF-14 crashing down on the flight deck and Keel-Haul tries to give Hawk the riot act over it and Hawk has this poo-eating grin on his face and replies, "I might lead the team, but on this ship, they're your men." If I was Keel-Haul at that point, I would've replied, "Fine. He's my man. Now you'll know how I got my name. Get me some rope!" I'm sort of glad I had mostly moved on from the toys and comics before that point, even if it was Hama still writing.

Speaking of Ace doing stupid, crazy things, I my BBTS Ace arrived the day after I decided to pick on up at Target. Glad I did. The Ace I picked off the shelf actually looks relatively sane, but the second Ace has that incredible, wild-eyed, pinpoint pupil, 'going to shoot that Rattler down with lasers from my eyes!' look that everyone's been talking about. I almost feel like I should place him on the shelf either seated at a table with a big steak, in front of a pile of money, or something....

Edited by Southpaw Samurai

@Mog - The silver faced Sieges look cool! Nice customs!

Finally found Wave 6 single-carded figures today at TRU, while looking for the Nightwatch exclusive (still no luck). Torpedo and Armored Cobra Commander are awesome, while Rock & Roll was a letdown. He was packaged with a busted helmet - meh.

Rock and Roll still has those damn unfixed Duke arms. It irritates me how the arms from Duke and the Cobra trooper crotch has yet to be fixed. Armored Cobra Commander is awesome. Unfortunately a head swap with the comic pack CG/Fred head does not net good results. The Fred head fits loosely on Cobra Commander's body and while the helmet fits, its a bit tight. The best Cobra Commander in the line so far.

Torpedo is one of the best figures in the line and completely outdoes the original. The original looked like a sleepy diver who was bored as hell and fell asleep on the job. The new one has a lot of removable accessories, 4 peg holes for his feet/flippers, 3 weapons, and 2 holsters. Its great that one of the most overlooked and underrated characters recieved so much love in this line.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

ok, I haven't been reading all the older posts in this thread, but one of the vendor's at Frank and Sons said something about a target exclusive Baroness. Is this true?

ok, I haven't been reading all the older posts in this thread, but one of the vendor's at Frank and Sons said something about a target exclusive Baroness. Is this true?

I don't know. The only one that I THINK may be an exclusive is the Baroness in scuba-gear that's gonna be included in that three-pack (the one based on the MASS Device cartoons).

Of course, I could be wrong.

Shin, can you clear up the details for us?

from what the vendor told me, it was the black suit baroness on single card was what he made it sound like. So I don't really know until I go look and find out for myself.