Macross Troops?

baltek

Hi all,

I have been always wondering about terrestrial troops in macross serie.

I remember from robotech masters saga that always are images of terrestrian troops, but I don't remember any good reference of terrestrial troops in macross.

Do you have pics of "normal" troops (not mechs) from macross?

Thanks a lot

There are indeed standard human infantry in the Macross universe. They are shown at the very beginning of the series during montages in SDF Macross. Brief glimpses are seen during other parts of the series and there is even a U.N. soldier shown along with what I assume is an OverTechnology tank (since the tank design is nothing I recognize from any modern military). The soldier and tank are seen very briefly in episode 27 during the bombardment of Earth.

There's little available on the net, but the Quatermasters Tactical Database has a picture of the U.N.S. uniformed soldier from the episode I quoted:

http://www.un-spacy-qmtdb.com/uns/Uniforms...BDUs/2009-1.htm

Hope this was a little bit of help.

There are indeed standard human infantry in the Macross universe. They are shown at the very beginning of the series during montages in SDF Macross. Brief glimpses are seen during other parts of the series and there is even a U.N. soldier shown along with what I assume is an OverTechnology tank (since the tank design is nothing I recognize from any modern military). The soldier and tank are seen very briefly in episode 27 during the bombardment of Earth.

There's little available on the net, but the Quatermasters Tactical Database has a picture of the U.N.S. uniformed soldier from the episode I quoted:

The earth was still getting over (or even still in the last throes of) a world war at that point, too, and the UN government had actively been covering up the fact they were at war with aliens, so I'm sure there were plenty of ground troops still around then. After the surface was bombarded (a very few moments later from that very pic, I might add), I'd imagine warfare had pretty much taken on a very different face and your footsoldier/infantry was pretty much obsolete in any sort of large-scale conflict.

There would have to be security forces, surely (those smg-toting goobers that got mind-whacked by Sharon Apple and went after Myung in the end of Macross Plus are a good example), but the chances of the UN placing traditional infantry on the field against mechanized Zentran forces would have to be pretty slim, don't you think? I'd hate to face off against a pissed off Zentradi with just an assault rifle.

Attrition warfare on the human side is out of the question after the bombardment.

Pretty much after the world was bombarded, enemies came in the shape and form of Zentraedi or Zent sympathizers, which means robots against giant infantry.

And since Zents, Melts, and Supervision Army were the only known 'adversaries' out there (likely all of them Zent scale), infantry wouldn't be much use in a conventional fight. As infultrators and sabateurs, however...

Attrition warfare on the human side is out of the question after the bombardment.

Pretty much after the world was bombarded, enemies came in the shape and form of Zentraedi or Zent sympathizers, which means robots against giant infantry.

And since Zents, Melts, and Supervision Army were the only known 'adversaries' out there (likely all of them Zent scale), infantry wouldn't be much use in a conventional fight. As infultrators and sabateurs, however...

Well the SA started out as Protoculture citizens which are micron sized, but the various "giant sized" sections in the Macross strongly suggest that giants were also among those conscripted into the Supervision Army. Though it is doubtful the Zents were in command....

but the chances of the UN placing traditional infantry on the field against mechanized Zentran forces would have to be pretty slim, don't you think? I'd hate to face off against a pissed off Zentradi with just an assault rifle.

Not to drag the thread too far off topic, but how exactly would modern infantry be useless against Zentradi soldiers? Further, why would the Zentradi forces be mechanized but the human forces wouldn't? What kind of handicapped match up is that? If we really want to speculate on human vs. zentradi infantry, we wouldn't grant one side vehicles and not the other.

Going back to just human infantry vs. zentradi infantry, I see no reason why heavy infantry weapons wouldn't be successful against armored Zentradi soldiers. Anti-tank missiles, mortars, high explosives, anti-materiel sniper rifles, and other heavy infantry weapons would all pose a serious threat to a fully armored Zentradi grunt. It's not like the Zentradi infantry armor is anything special and they don't have fusion reactors in their codpieces that power anything. Once you throw OverTechnology into the mix, I can't see the weapons getting any less destructive.

Max is seen sporting a handheld rocket launcher during the SDF:M series, and he uses it to take on a Zentraedi.

Beyond the incidences mentioned above, there is also a ground soldier seen at the begining of Macross Plus, next to the fence, as a VF-11 walks by.

Ground AA tanks also appear in VF-X2's opening credits (the VB-6 Monster squishes one with it's foot!)

Macross is also more than humans vs. giant aliens. There is also the alluded to human vs. human battles. Recheck Isamu Dyson's military history for a brief idea of what's been going on.

Ground troops are, after all, needed to hold positions. VFs are better used where their mobility and speed can be used to max benefit.

It's not like the Zentradi infantry armor is anything special and they don't have fusion reactors in their codpieces that power anything.

"So is that a reactor in your pants, or are you just happy to see me?"

:)

To add to the list, they show Hikaru doing infantry practice during his military training.

Max is seen sporting a handheld rocket launcher during the SDF:M series, and he uses it to take on a Zentraedi.

I remember Max shooting a laser pistol/rifle at an elevator control panel. . . but I can't seem to recall him ever handling a missile launcher, much less engaging anyone with it. Am I missing something?

H

I remember Max shooting a laser pistol/rifle at an elevator control panel. . . but I can't seem to recall him ever handling a missile launcher, much less engaging anyone with it. Am I missing something?

H

Bottom of page 192 in Macross Perfect Memory.

å°åž‹ãƒã‚ºãƒ¼ã‚«

Small bazooka

Same as the one seen in episode 12 - being used to shoot the control panel.

Quick check - yup, I did say rocket launcher, not missile launcher. I may be mistaken if he used it on a Zentraedi. Though I definitely remember him using it.

Good point RDClip. Didn't they also have an armoured vehicle of some kind with them too?

Edited by sketchley

Max's Handheld Rocket Launcher (again, courtesy of the UNSQMTDB).

Hand Held Rocket Launcher

Hehe. Yep. That. Though it'll always be the "RDF Laser Pistol" to me! :o

(that's what it's called in the RT Role-Playing Game book)

I don't think he ever fires it at anything other than the control panel. But now we're splitting hairs.

H

I haven't seen anything in canon that would suggest that Humans can undergo the process. The only people that I know of who can, other than the Zents themselves, are Human/Zentreadi hybrids and the Zolans.

And Max Jenius.

Otherwise, he wouldn't be able to fit in a Q-rau.

And Max Jenius.

Otherwise, he wouldn't be able to fit in a Q-rau.

DYRL's not "real" though.

Remember, current continuity has it set as a movie made within the Macross universe. The TV series version of events is what "actually happened."

DYRL's not "real" though.

Remember, current continuity has it set as a movie made within the Macross universe. The TV series version of events is what "actually happened."

true

Plus think of the cost of having 40' giant soldiers to feed, cloth, shelter, and to equip. And i doubt it is good to be going back and forth between giant and miclone sizes all the time.

Wow, two pages of discussion and still nobody knows (or has even bothered to figure out) what a ground troop looks like.

Do you have pics of "normal" troops (not mechs) from macross?

Okay, I thought about your question some more. Destroids are essentially big robotic tanks. In the U.S. military, the tank pilots/drivers/troops wear pretty much the same basic uniform as any other ground troop. Olive pants, shirt, and jacket. Even their dress uniform is the same as any other infantry troop, except some of the patches. In combat uniform, the helmet and accessories that go along with being a tank pilot/driver/troop are the only thing that really varies from any other type of troop.

This is the Tomahawk pilot from episode 29 (Lonely Song). Imagine him without the helmet or harness (or more likely, with a slightly different helmet.) That's probably what a ground troop looks like.

I'm sure ground troops existed. If they didn't make it aboard the Macross, eventually they, like the rest of humanity, were reduced to dust by the Zentradi, so I nobody really gives a crap about them, because obviously, they were useless.

Now aboard the Macross, I don't think they kept a whole lot of basic infantry, (yes, I'm sure there were some) because they're fairly useless against the Zentradi. Like I said before, we're like the size of a squirrel to them. I don't think I'd be bothered by a squirrel, no matter how big a bazooka he's carrying.

So most of the ones aboard the Macross that were just infantry, and not trained for more skilled positions (Destroids, MP, intelligence, etc...) were probably asked to either train for those more skilled jobs, or be assimliated into the police force to deal with the sudden civilian population aboard.

Edited by tom64ss

Now aboard the Macross, I don't think they kept a whole lot of basic infantry, (yes, I'm sure there were some) because they're fairly useless against the Zentradi. Like I said before, we're like the size of a squirrel to them. I don't think I'd be bothered by a squirrel, no matter how big a bazooka he's carrying.

IPB Image

Cool picture.

IMHO, there were troops on the Macross - the troops in the Daedalus, that got transported with the SDF-1 to Pluto's orbit. Of course they don't get shown, because the armed squirrel in the above post would be equally effective against an entire Zentraedi ship.

Soldiers also crop up in other places - the military compounds inside of the SDF-1. My guess is that they would be akin to Marines - mostly doing internal ship security, but ready to bring the fight to the enemy if needed.

Of course, given that the SDF-1 folded to Pluto, and the ship didn't exactly have a full crew complement, it's highly probable that the people who became soldiers doing guard duty were probably the one's incapable of doing the higher-mental-capacity required things like piloting VFs and Destroids (or even jeeps... ;) ) So yeah, the point everyone is making kind of stands - the soldiers wouldn't be that effective. :D

true

Plus think of the cost of having 40' giant soldiers to feed, cloth, shelter, and to equip. And i doubt it is good to be going back and forth between giant and miclone sizes all the time.

Maybe the food can be enlarged as well using the micloning device :lol:

I'm sure ground troops existed. If they didn't make it aboard the Macross, eventually they, like the rest of humanity, were reduced to dust by the Zentradi, so I nobody really gives a crap about them, because obviously, they were useless.

I wouldn't say that infantry would be useless. Human sized infantry with decent anti-tank weapons would, in all likelyhood, be a serious threat to Zentraedi foot soldiers in their (standard issue) basic body armor. Anti-material rifles and LAWs to those who like to run around without helments.

Then there is the surprise factor with Human sized troops. Human troops engaging Zentraedi footsoldiers are obviously not going to engage in stand up fights. Hit and run/guerilla tactics will be the order of the day. So, it wouldn't surprise me that the U.N. military maintains a smaller, but higher quality, infantry force in the post-Space War era. Highly trained and motivated, with top-notch gear. To combat giants, they would have to be of better quality than the typical grunt of the pre-Fall era.

Cool picture.

IMHO, there were troops on the Macross - the troops in the Daedalus, that got transported with the SDF-1 to Pluto's orbit. Of course they don't get shown, because the armed squirrel in the above post would be equally effective against an entire Zentraedi ship.

Soldiers also crop up in other places - the military compounds inside of the SDF-1. My guess is that they would be akin to Marines - mostly doing internal ship security, but ready to bring the fight to the enemy if needed.

Of course, given that the SDF-1 folded to Pluto, and the ship didn't exactly have a full crew complement, it's highly probable that the people who became soldiers doing guard duty were probably the one's incapable of doing the higher-mental-capacity required things like piloting VFs and Destroids (or even jeeps... ;) ) So yeah, the point everyone is making kind of stands - the soldiers wouldn't be that effective. :D

In addition to sketchley's point, it is entirely possible that the remaining crew compliment of the SDF-1 were aboard ARMD 1 & 2 which were to dock with the Macross in space.

I wouldn't say that infantry would be useless. Human sized infantry with decent anti-tank weapons would, in all likelyhood, be a serious threat to Zentraedi foot soldiers in their (standard issue) basic body armor. Anti-material rifles and LAWs to those who like to run around without helments.

There an echo in here? :)

Going back to just human infantry vs. zentradi infantry, I see no reason why heavy infantry weapons wouldn't be successful against armored Zentradi soldiers. Anti-tank missiles, mortars, high explosives, anti-materiel sniper rifles, and other heavy infantry weapons would all pose a serious threat to a fully armored Zentradi grunt. It's not like the Zentradi infantry armor is anything special and they don't have fusion reactors in their codpieces that power anything. Once you throw OverTechnology into the mix, I can't see the weapons getting any less destructive.

Didn't I also already provide a link to a picture of a U.N. troop? I think there's some problem reading :p:D

Edited by Mr March