Orguss DVD collection

Hikuro

Really there were orguss clips on there? the only ones I could ever find were openings.

But I also heard Youtube and Google developed some sort of a program that sniffs out copyright materials and has been deleting them from peoples accounts now....that could also be a possibility.

As for Orguss coming out, I'd probably get the dvds' if the chance arises cause I didn't really like the sub job on the bootleg dvd's.

For the toys though, if they're really as small as I've heard, 40 dollars is really pushing it.

I've never seen any of Orguss. Not even a minute. But I'll check it out though. I've always heard good things about it.

Some ILA fansubs have been available at Animesuki and Tokyotosho these last weeks :)

Some ILA fansubs have been available at Animesuki and Tokyotosho these last weeks :)
Although they've stopped distributing now, i hate it when fansub groups carry on distributing even though a show is licensed. There's little respect these days for the old morale code of conduct concerning this issue.

Anyway i'm looking forward to this release, more details have been released over on the AOD forums and convinced more than ever that the dvd-r scenario won't be an issue at all.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I was not going to wait until December to get the box set; however since the date for the 1st two DVD’s has been pushed back now until 9-25-07 I may just change my order.

From what I've been following, it seems to be the best choice. The reason for the repeated delays has been because of the disc encryption being used (something to do with it being a DVD-R and needing a special encryption for the licenser to allow it). There's a problem with the finalization, and IA seem to be going with a different/less popular method just to get the disc's out on the street. The box set disc's should have the less bad encryption when they're released.

This series does not appear to come in traditional box set, rather 1 inch thick keepcase that will hold all 8 discs.

Will the encryption between the single and box set disc effect the over all quality of the video?

Edited by rdenham

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my Orguss and Cat's Eye discs (vols. 1 & 2) from Right Stuff yesterday. Haven't really watched them yet because I'm recovering from having 4 wisdom teeth extracted. I did glance over episode 1 of Orguss and the picture quality is about the same as Geneon's Lupin the 3rd.

AnimeonDVD's review of volume 1 is up.

Looks like the release suffers from somewhat bad video quality. :( Wasn't the Japanese box all restored and remastered? Why couldn't they use those masters?

Well, I took Keith's advice and canceled my order for the single discs and just bought the box set. I managed to score free shipping, which will make the series far cheaper in the long run. I'm suddenly not all that eager to drop so much $ on some poorly mastered DVD-Rs, so any money saved helps. But my 20 year desire to see this show outweighs my disappointment. For now.

I haven't gotten my disc yet, since Rightstuf stupidly decided to mail it to me old address instead of my current one, despite me updating the information on their website like two weeks ago. Thanks, Rightstuf. Now I have to drive out there and hope the new people living there are not jerks.

I haven't gotten my disc yet, since Rightstuf stupidly decided to mail it to me old address instead of my current one, despite me updating the information on their website like two weeks ago. Thanks, Rightstuf. Now I have to drive out there and hope the new people living there are not jerks.

Just because you updated it on the website doesn't mean it was updated on your order. That's why they have the ship to/bill to confirmations. Anytime you move with exsisting orders in queue, you have to notify them to manually change them.

What confirmation? I just got several "Order can't be fulfilled because the product was delayed" emails and then "We sent your item to your old address". What am I supposed to do? It's stupid as hell that updating your information in their system doesn't update it on your order.

AnimeonDVD's review of volume 1 is up.

Looks like the release suffers from somewhat bad video quality. :( Wasn't the Japanese box all restored and remastered? Why couldn't they use those masters?

Well, I took Keith's advice and canceled my order for the single discs and just bought the box set. I managed to score free shipping, which will make the series far cheaper in the long run. I'm suddenly not all that eager to drop so much $ on some poorly mastered DVD-Rs, so any money saved helps. But my 20 year desire to see this show outweighs my disappointment. For now.

Thanks for the link. As I had read earlier, this confirms that the audio track is mono. This is odd, since the original is in stereo (Macross was originally mono, though)...

The original R2 Japanese dvd boxset for Orguss is in mono which is how the soundtrack was originally created according to internet sources.

Anyone with the LD's or R2's want to verify?

Also don't let the exgerated, slighlty anal, AOD reviews put you off, the video quality is awesome and miles better than those ILA fansubs based off the HK bootlegs.

The original R2 Japanese dvd boxset for Orguss is in mono which is how the soundtrack was originally created according to internet sources.

Anyone with the LD's or R2's want to verify?

Also don't let the exgerated, slighlty anal, AOD reviews put you off, the video quality is awesome and miles better than those ILA fansubs based off the HK bootlegs.

Theres a used joint near where I work on Tuesdays with the LD boxset. I`ll check the audio then if no one does it before me.

Just got home from work where I was able to check the Orguss TV "Perfect Edition" LD Boxset at the nearby "Hard Off" (dubious name I know) used place on my dinner break.

The box states its in Stereo with Digital Audio.

Edited by MilSpex

I`m thinking of picking up that perfect collection LD set next time I`m at that job. It has some nice insert booklets and is in good condition for 9000 yen. Not bad considering the original retail would have probably been 5 times that.

Edited by MilSpex

I have the show in Stereo, both in VHS and DVD. I heard it with my own ears! :lol: (It is most noticeable in the ending song: Casey Rankin's howls and screams come at you from alternating channels).

So the R2 DVD is in stereo then. Imaginasian really dropped the ball by giving us Japanese mono instead of stereo. I was going to purchase these, but I don't feel like giving money to a company that intentionally gives us an inferior product.

So the R2 DVD is in stereo then. Imaginasian really dropped the ball by giving us Japanese mono instead of stereo. I was going to purchase these, but I don't feel like giving money to a company that intentionally gives us an inferior product.

The Japanese LDs are in Stereo too.

Gimme a break. A company releases an old series that never would have seen a proper English release (and at a low price point, too) and you still want to complain?

:rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

Got my Orguss box yesturday, & popped in the first disc to take a look. The quality is much better than what I was expecting. I'd heard some horror stories about the video, but it looks like that's just from people who don't know what older shows are supposed to look like. Overall, I'd say it looks better than the HK set. While the audio is indeed mono, it's quite clear & crisp, and livable considering the unlikelyhood of getting this released over here. As long as the disc's hold up for long haul, I'd definately reccomend this set. I just wish Imaginasian used factory pressed disc's.