Orguss DVD collection

Hikuro

IPB Image

Basically I wanted some advice. The DVD collection is out of print supposively, and well I never got to see the series but I've wanted too for well over a year.

I started watching Orguss 02, which isn't all that bad but doesn't really make a lick of sense to me.

So I've been cruising around Ebay where I'm finding the collection set for 30 bucks at the cheapest.

And what I want to know, is that obviously this is like a "Bootleg" import deal like any others....but how are the subs? Are they comprehsensible? Can you understand what's going on?

Or is it like Starocean EX, .hack, and Tekkaman subs where the names continiously change, the translations are good at points then just drop dead get horrible like a third graded just started learning japanese and english?

I know there is a fansub group out doing the series, but they use IRC and not torrent and I don't know IRC worth a damn and can't get into their channel.

So...I'd like to know, is this worth taking the plunge into my pockets to spend bout 40 bucks all together on?

Also I'm noticing on some sellers mentioning English/Chinese/Off subs, while this guy who I'm interested in buying from only mentions English subs........so are there 2 different sets out there?

Edited by Hikuro

The subs are understandable and better then some others I've muddled through. The biggest problem is the characters names... they seem to change the names of the characters quite often. I think in one episode the names change half way through. It really seems like they just gave the show to like 5 different people and told them to subtitle their own chunks and didn't do anything to make sure anything would be coherent the whole way through. Even the term for what the two major characters are changes a few times. It sounds worse than it is though, you'll know who the characters are and what makes them special without the words/names always being the same.

It's Orguss, get it! Subs are on the lower end of the HK sub spectrum, especially towards the end of the series, but it's still understandable. It's actually a very well done set, only thing missing are the next episode previews.

As for Orguss 02, it still won't make a lick of sense after watching the real series, as it's about as canon as Macross II.

It's Orguss, get it! Subs are on the lower end of the HK sub spectrum, especially towards the end of the series, but it's still understandable. It's actually a very well done set, only thing missing are the next episode previews.

See that's what upsets me, there are good sets out there, and then there are bad sets. If they're about as good as the FX versions of Macross 7, I'd be thrilled...but low end of the HK Sub spectrum bothers me.

But you're right, it's Orguss.

As for Orguss 02, it still won't make a lick of sense after watching the real series, as it's about as canon as Macross II.

That I'm not surprised to be told towards this OVA. I'm trying to buy the set right now, but Ebay is being a major batty and wont let me, something bout review system is down and can't recover the information I'm seeking....weirdos.

I don't think that there are two different HK sets, they are just being advertised with varying levels of accuracy. I just took a look at what is on offer on Ebay, and don't see any differences between any on auction or the ones I have. The set I have is a 4-Disc KO set, with selectable subs (Chinese, English, OFF).

The subs are not great, but they're endurable, and like everybody else says, it's Orguss. When in a vacuum, suck it up :)

My favorite part is how the robots from Mu have become the robots from Timmy.

I completely forgot about that. Just as funny today as it was then.

As for the subs, they're easily about the same par as the Macross 7 subs.

I heard that on one of the sets going around, that the subs cut-off halfway through the episode. As far as I recall, that doesn't happen on my set, but mine's actually a bit different to all the ones I've seen on eBay. As far as I can tell, the way the bootleggers used to work is that at first, they'd very faithfully duplicate the Japanese DVDs disc for disc, simply adding Chinese and English subtitles. The important point to remember is that these initial sets had the same number of discs as the Japanese originals, so the video is usually of higher quality. Then at some point, those sets would be compressed further (resulting in fewer discs), and it's those sets of any given series that were given the widest distribution, especially on eBay.

The Orguss set I have is from Taiwan (not HK), and is labeled "Indian". Indian also got to release the first nine episodes of Dirty Pair TV with selectable subtitles (I've only very rarely seen that set online!) back in 2003. Sadly, it was around the 2002/2003 mark that the bootleggers simply stopped doing older, unlicensed series that have a snowball's chance in hell of coming out officially in English, like Captain Harlock, Queen Millennia, the rest of Galaxy Express, the rest of Dirty Pair TV, Dorvack, Zillion...etc.

Well a group called ILA Fansubs is doing Orguss, however they use an IRC Channel and I don't know IRC worth crap, and refuse to release on BitTorrent....no clue why seeing they'd get alot more hits.

They're up too Ep29 now, and doing second versions of previous releases they did back in 05...dunno how good they are, but oh well....I should see my collection on Tuesday or Wedensday.

You are correct. The Indian video set was first, and higher quality. But also significantly harder to find.

Yeah, you're telling me - I really lucked out on getting one of those sets. They must have had pretty low print runs in favor of the more economical models.

Well a group called ILA Fansubs is doing Orguss, however they use an IRC Channel and I don't know IRC worth crap, and refuse to release on BitTorrent....no clue why seeing they'd get alot more hits.

They're up too Ep29 now, and doing second versions of previous releases they did back in 05...dunno how good they are, but oh well....I should see my collection on Tuesday or Wedensday.

ILA did some episodes of Space Adventure Cobra as well, which also caught my interest. Of course, when I first got them they were still doing BT before they switched completely to IRC. Checking their often inflammatory posts, they were heavily against BT seemingly because it was easy to use and if you didn't know how to get stuff with IRC then you simply wouldn't get their stuff. I actually went to their IRC channel one day to try and get some of the IRC-exclusive releases and was greeted with a really charming message that went along the lines of "No Jews or Brazilians allowed"! :o Then I simply waited half the day to end up getting nothing!

It's a real pity they have to be so seemingly awkward and unpleasant about their releases, only dispensing them out to loyal sycophants, considering the classic anime they release is exactly the kind of stuff I'm interested in and that comparatively few fansub groups do.

Well I probably spoiled myself by watching Orguss 02 which I just finished bout 30 minutes ago.

Though I still don't EXACTLY know what was going on, once I got to Ep5 I was like "WOW!".........so I'm guessing I will indeed enjoy Orguss when I get the DVD in the mail tomorrow or tuesday.

Not too mention I just won a home theater system :D so now I can enjoy it even more.

Was never really motivated to see Orguss 02 except out of curiosity.

Shame. Could have revived the origional series to re-spark new interest. Instead we get a reimagining of sorts... although at least this one keeps some ties to it's origional.

I liked it Orguss 2 was indeed well done in my opinion, but out of the 6 episodes, 5 had to be the best with cameo appearances of everyone in the original series and what happened to them.

I got my DVD's in the mail today, was laughing at the summery of the movie on the front cover....words aren't spaced apart, and lots of mispelled worlds like "Expision" should of been "Explosion" and Kei is spelt "Key"

Really surprised how small the DVD box is too, it's much smaller then the traditional DVD case.

I'll let ya guys know later what I think.

Watched 2 episodes, certain pieces either the subtitles are off by 2 seconds, or don't show up at all, the translation is pretty damn poor and very loose....some parts I gotta pause just to read what was being said then try to make sense of it all....I hate it when I gotta do that.....-_-, HOWEVER the quality of the DVD's themselves are great, the picture is fantastic, really clean looking for a 24 year old series.

Edited by Hikuro

I've noticed some of the cameo's already, surprisingly Minmay's character design was noticed twice, once with Tina, the other with "Minmee" as a red head in a china dress. Also the names like Sammy shown up but it was Vanessa's character design.

Gonna watch Ep3-5 right now.

The naked Misa the briefly shows up in someone's monitor is the most obvious cameo.

Aw don't spoil it for the guy!

Well now that he knows, the cameo isn't obvious unless you're paying attention to detail. It's only for a second- you have to be ready with the pause button in order to get a good look at it.

And she's not completely naked- just topless. :D

I'm up into the Teens, I'll probably be somewhere in episode 20 tonight. I was bumed seeing Slay die (if he did die....I dunno DON'T SAY!)

Tai is a pretty worthless character right now isn't he? He's mostly just comic relief in the sorts, he's only gone into action once.

But the Mu themselves JESUS those guys can kick some ass till the Terram's machines come in to bomb 'em.

The biggest complaint right now was the episode where they all escape the Emaan city and all their names change, Sheya turns into Tracy, Mimsy is Jimmy, and Kei is Jackie 0_o......JACKIE?!

But to be honest, the translation really is starting to piss me off, it's a good thing it seems easy to follow...but I really didn't get this last episode, were they trying to brain wash him into controling Kei or what?

Yeah, there are some parts that get a bit tough to follow because of the translation issues. After watching some episodes you might want to Google search up some recaps online (but be careful not to read ahead). After I finished the story I had to do some research. Maybe you'll have better luck but when they start talking about the space station I got totally lost (no, I'm not giving anything away). Who was Slay?

I think the translation called him Shrei, but it sounds like his name is Slay or Slave, but he's the guy whose over protective of Mimsy and ends up getting killed while they were flying thru the canyons. Well they don't actually show him getting killed, just a big flash then that was it.

lol yeah I met Milia :p I mean Athena. And my question about Slay was answered lastnight too, in more ways then one.......though, I don't get why he did what he did that was pretty stupid.

I've also come too notice, there are a few Macross VA's in Orguss, I'm pretty sure I heard Minmay, Hikaru's VA's pop in, and of course, diffenetly Miriya's since she's playing Athena.

Yet another show that would rule to have all nice and remastered by Animeigo with superior subs. I hate when my dreams outperform the reality that it will never happen.

Funny you should mention that, I was talking to a friend of mine who worked for US Manga Corp till they fired him (now slowly bringing him back with freelance stuff) and I mentioned Orguss to him, he quickly recognized the name.

He remembers CPM was working on Orguss years ago but stopped, mostly because MANGA bought the rights of Orguss but only popped out Orguss 02....I wonder if MANGA still owns the rights to Orguss itself, or whatever?

There's got to be a way to petition to bring Orguss to the states just in japanese with subs, remastered, the same quality of style that AnimEigo brought to Macross, and hopefully not later purchased by ADV.

I think I'm on episode 20 now, I can't remember, Kei now knows that Athena is his daughter, has feelings for Orsen and Kei himself is starting to get a bit more affectionit with mimsy. But the subs, GOD.

Kei Katsuragi is now Jackie Quake......where......do.....they.....come up with this stuff?!