Ghost in the Shell Live Action - March 31, 2017

Mechinyun

It is, in fact, the thing that struck me most strongly about the movie, how they adapted a badass into a whiny ball of angst.

Cuz they switched gears in the next scene. She went from contemplating life to "F-U" from one scene to the next.

The trailer made me realize something: I remember absolutely nothing of the plot from the original GitS movie. I actually don't remember much from SAC either. I've also never seen Arise.

in fact the last thing GitS I've watched was the SAC movie and I can't even remember what that one was called. :p

Time to break out the DVD's and do a rewatch!! B))

Ghost in the Shell Tokyo Event with Scarlett Johansson, 'Beat' Takeshi, and Rupert Sanders. With great intro too by Kenji Kawai. ;)

Here's the Shelling Sequence clip shown while Kenji Kawai plays.

Edited by no3Ljm

Showed the trailer to my sister. She has read the comics, but not seen any of the animation.
Her primary comment afterwards was "why is the major in a skintight flesh-tone bodysuit?!" It bothered her A LOT.

All I could say was "Because that is how it was in the first movie, and western audiences consider that 'the original version'".

She felt that was an inadequate excuse, particularly as she thinks that in general a new adaptation should be a fresh take on the source and not a recreation of someone else's adaptation. And in specific, her ENTIRE exposure to Ghost has been the manga/she's another dirty comics purist.

In conclusion: Oshii has ruined Ghost three times now!111oneone

I could be wrong, but the way this trailer is selling things is something I'm not buying. I can't put my finger on it but I'm not feelin' it.

Agreed. After some deep navel gazing I've figured out why it's not working for me - it's the lack of Asian (or Japanese & HK) design aesthetic. It's like the creators of the cityscapes in the film took the most outstanding aspects of certain Asian cities, and excessively embellished them, while ignoring the design aesthetics of Feng Shui and so on (very true in the HK inspired scenes - which are pretty much ALL of the city scenes, as Mamoru Oshii based his film on that, and this film is based on that film...)...

That aesthetic also applies to one of the central themes of the manga/first movie - losing your individuality in a mass production information society. Which one could interpret as an examination of the conflict between honne and tatemae in a sci-fi setting.

But yeah... there's just something not right about the Buddhist monks in the trailer.

Was the Major naked in the Manga/Comic version when she uses the Therm optic camo.

No. Most of the time, she's wearing some type of skin tight bodysuit covered in, for lack of a better word, a flack jacket.

Edited by sketchley

After some deep navel gazing I've figured out why it's not working for me - it's the lack of Asian (or Japanese & HK) design aesthetic.

I gave up on that notion a while back.

That aesthetic also applies to one of the central themes of the manga/first movie - losing your individuality in a mass production information society. Which one could interpret as an examination of the conflict between honne and tatemae in a sci-fi setting.

Yeah. What he said. I'm not getting that from how they're selling the plot of this movie.

No. Most of the time, she's wearing some type of skin tight bodysuit covered in, for lack of a better word, a flack jacket.

IIRC, even SAC gave up on the strip-down-to-the-body-suit thing. By the end of the series, most of the team were using therm-optic camo with normal clothes over it..

'Da frak???? They couldn't even bother to dress up a FN P90 or F2000 to make it look like a Seburo-style firearms?

I am not sure if that is serious but Cyborg is already that, part human part robot/machine.

They didn't specify what kind of cyborg. maybe she's 50% human, 25% robot and 25% other form of organism like dog or lizard.

Edited by anime52k8

No. No its not. See Thompson Gun and P90.

fun fact: an M1A1 Thompson is about 6 inches longer and almost 3lbs heavier than the X95 Tavor that prop gun is based on. even with all the crap they've dressed it up with it's probably still smaller and lighter. That said it's still not an SMG but because an SMG is by definition a fully automatic weapon chambered in a pistol caliber cartridge where as the Tavor uses an intermediate rifle cartridge.

fun fact: an M1A1 Thompson is about 6 inches longer and almost 3lbs heavier than the X95 Tavor that prop gun is based on. even with all the crap they've dressed it up with it's probably still smaller and lighter. That said it's still not an SMG but because an SMG is by definition a fully automatic weapon chambered in a pistol caliber cartridge where as the Tavor uses an intermediate rifle cartridge.

For the record, the Tavor is also available in a 9 mm caliber SMG variant.

I had a Tavor for a short while. I couldn't get any decent groups out of it, even with good ammo. With my ARs, and even my ACR it's almost never a problem, even with regular factory ammo.

I guess bullpups work for some people, but they're just not my cup of tea.

I dont get the hype for this. Based on the trailer, they are selling this as a faithful adaptation of an adaptation.

Disappointingly, that is what they're selling.

And to my eternal dismay, many people think that it is an adaptation of the original Ghost in the Shell, unaware that the first movie was based on anything at all. Many others just don't care.

Disappointingly, that is what they're selling.

And to my eternal dismay, many people think that it is an adaptation of the original Ghost in the Shell, unaware that the first movie was based on anything at all. Many others just don't care.

I don't care. I don't even like Masamune Shirow.

I don't care. I don't even like Masamune Shirow.

I care more because I don't like Oshii.

I'd be less upset if this was an adaptation of anything other than Oshii's adaptation.

But I really think they should've made their own take on the franchise.

I know we usually drop on Hollywood for straying too far from the source material(or ignoring it completely), but slavish copy/paste isn't doing anyone any favors either.

I hope this isn't a live action version of the original Ghost in the Shell animated movie, because that movie was frankly terrible. It tried so hard to be deep but just ended up being boring and excruciating to sit through. Especially those long scenes showing the city with the weird wailing/singing in the background.