Ghost in the Shell Live Action - March 31, 2017

Mechinyun

Well manga translates to animation much better, so once adapted to animation it should stay that way. Theres no reason to try and take it further with a live action movie. So in a way, anime should remain anime once adapted from manga. :wacko:

I don't agree with that notion.

Just because Hollywood screws the pooch every so often, doesn't mean they aren't able to make decent adaptations now and then.

I can't say that the X-men and Spider-man franchises have been boxoffice dissapointments or poor live-action adaptations.

I welcome a live-action feature from GitS (and Macross for that matter) very much, simply because it's live action.

As a viewing experience, it's simply a step up, by virtue of looking more lifelike/real.

The translation from manga to anime doesn't always go as smooth as well. Especially when an anime tries to cover as much ground as the manga did, but simply can't due to the running time limitations.

With any translation/adaptation, there's always a risk that it doesn't meet expectations.

However, you can't judge what you haven't seen.

Heck, a lot of people were convinced that Peter Jackson wasn't able to pull of LotR on the big screen, because the books were supposedly unadaptable.

I mean adapting a comic to animation is much better cause it would be easier, and less chance of screwing up, using live actors would be much difficult.

But they screwed the animated adaptation up first anyways.

The first GITS movie was a horrible abuse of the license. I gather the second movie wasn't much better.

But if third time's the charm, then Hollywood has it made.

I think any purist fan of the manga would probably hate all of the anime adaptations, since they all diverge from the manga quite a bit. I agree the first movie wasn't good, but the second was excellent and the TV series have been great as well (haven't seen the follow up film for that, yet), but then I really don't like the manga.

While I don't expect as intellectually heavy a script as we've had for the various GitS adaptations so far, I do think that if they don't go for something at least as deep as say Dark City or 12 Monkeys, then the movie will fail (at least for me, anyway).

I think any purist fan of the manga would probably hate all of the anime adaptations, since they all diverge from the manga quite a bit. I agree the first movie wasn't good, but the second was excellent and the TV series have been great as well (haven't seen the follow up film for that, yet), but then I really don't like the manga.

While I don't expect as intellectually heavy a script as we've had for the various GitS adaptations so far, I do think that if they don't go for something at least as deep as say Dark City or 12 Monkeys, then the movie will fail (at least for me, anyway).

Yeah i enjoyed, the TV series as well, though I've not read any of the manga. When adapting manga in to anime, i think it is easier cause there are less obstacles in the way, while a live action movie there are plenty. There are just too many things to overcome such as the actors, special effects, location.....etc. Anyone of these can go wrong, which lessens the chances of a great movie.

I think most live movies based on comics/ video games are total rubbish to pretty average, especially ones with super heroes, I know many of you would disagree with this, but this is just my opinion. X Men just made me laugh and so did Spider man. Sin City so far is the best adaptation.

Edited by kung flu

Yeah i enjoyed, the TV series as well, though I've not read any of the manga. When adapting manga in to anime, i think it is easier cause there are less obstacles in the way, while a live action movie there are plenty. There are just too many things to overcome such as the actors, special effects, location.....etc. Anyone of these can go wrong, which lessens the chances of a great movie.

But those things are really minor points. It's the changes that need to be made in story telling and pacing when changing mediums that are the important parts, and in that, animation and live action have far more in common with each other than either have with manga.

Edited by JELEINEN

But those things are really minor points. It's the changes that need to be made in story telling and pacing that have to be made when changing mediums that are the important parts, and in that, animation and live action have far more in common with each other than either have with manga.

och aye yer right, thats a very good point :)

Edited by kung flu

• 2 months later...
  • 6 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Blonde... check

Caucasian... check

mostly known for 70's era type casting... check

Greatest Motoko Kusinagi ever... check

http://deadline.com/2014/09/wolf-of-wall-streets-margot-robbie-eyes-ghost-in-the-shell-828817/

Of course, it's going to be awesome, just like Live-action Robotech, and Live-action Akira, haha!

Robbie was fantastic in The Wolf of Wallstreet so she is a solid actor. But yeah, in my opinion Kelly Hu is THE actress for the role of Kusanagi...or nothing. Not seeing stars here :)

No. A Japanese actress should play Kusanagi, so I'd prefer they cast Marica Hase instead. Besides, Marica is already famous in the U.S.

• 4 months later...

I'm not going to complain about white-washing the cast, not with this series where everyone is part-robot. What does worry me is that the Major won't be called Motoko Kusanagi, and that the story will be over-westernized.

She'll just be called "The Major" through the whole movie. That's how they'll get around that whole name thing.

I'm not going to complain about white-washing the cast, not with this series where everyone is part-robot. What does worry me is that the Major won't be called Motoko Kusanagi, and that the story will be over-westernized.

That's the point though. Casting a non-asian is the first part of a long line of "compromises" that will pull it further from the source material. I mean, remember Spielberg produced the Transformers movie and distributed by Dreamworks. I can't wait to see what the tachis are going to look like.

I don't think you necessarily have to cast Asians in movies with Asian source material. Especially in a franchise where most of the major characters have robot bodies, and the lines of humanity are blurred as the main plot point. However, I do think the cast and crew all need to be very familiar with the source material, in order to create a work that fits within the scope of the original story. You can't get portray a character, unless you're familiar enough with the character to step into that character's shoes. Heath Ledger's portrayal of the Joker was so memorable and fantastic because he spent a lot of time getting closer to the character, understanding the Joker's rationale and motivation. And the Dark Knight films came out as good as they did, because the production team spent the time and effort to create a story that surrounded some main ideas that are very important in the Batman universe.

Which is what I imagine will be the failings of a Dreamworks Ghost in the Shell film. No way Scarlett Johansson is going to method-act Kusanagi, and no way this no-name director or his faceless production team are going to write a story that's close to the source material at all. This is a cash-cow film, like Transfourmores and Teenage Mutant Ninja a-holes. They'll use some of the made-up words from the franchise, create some new art direction for familiar things, and generally butcher the story with something generic.

Hiring white actors to play cyborgs is the least of my worries.

After hearing that Scarlett Johansson is going to play The Major, as well as the director Rupert Sanders (Snow White and the Huntsmen)- I've already filed this movie away as potential trash and should not be seen. The first similarity that came to my mind with these choices for lead and director was Charlize Theron and her terrible Aeon Flux movie via MTV- that was a piece of garbage. When will Hollywood learn that some animations just shouldnt be made into live action movies. They wont be a good version of the original and could tarnish franchises?