Yamato's 1/60 SV-51.

UN Spacy

You know, I just noticed and I'm not sure if somebody already commented on this already, but the SV-51 knees are backwards when in GERWALK compared to when in Battroid mode. It makes sense because of those kneecaps/guard, but this means the legs are rotated for battroid-transformation.

it looks like they rotate at the mid-section of the upper thigh, theres a seam line there.

They could stand to slim down those bombs(?) on the wingtips, it'd help the balance to boot.

Other then that it's pretty damn close to my mind.

Those things on the wingtips are composite micro-missile launchers/fuel-tanks.

Graham

In respect to Dobber

A clearer version of comparison pix

Hi ,

I do feel that the yamato version doesn't seems slim enough compared to the other version .I guess the most obvious part is the intakes of the yamato SV-51 ,it just seems to be abit too big .But overall it is pretty decent and nice ,hopefully the final product doesn't have such large intakes :(

Btw ,I'm new to this forum and this is my first post and hope I'm not causing any troubles by this remark .And I'm really looking forward for the SV-51 and hopefully the YF-21 too if theres one in the making :)

Cheers

Generally, I'm pleasantly surprised by Yamato's work. It's better than I had hoped.

Anyways--T.V. already covered AA-9 missiles, and about the canards---

Here at MW we had already discussed that basically there's no point to a forward-swept canard, and there's little to go by in real life for how they behave. If not mass balancers, then I vote for purely stylistic to make it "look Russian". Look at any older MiG or Sukhoi---they are just covered with mass balancers all over. Especially look at the MiG-21's h.stabs-----the SV-51's canards are clearly based on them IMHO.

IMHO the Sv-51 is basically a "Soviet Hornet". I see little Flanker influence, but a lot of simply "Russian" details.

Hi there.

Long time lurker here, but ever since seeing Macross Zero the SV-51 has become one of my favorite variable designs out there, and the prospect of a Yamato figure for it has prompted me to post. Looks awesome, but like many others I'm already bracing myself for the inevitable fragility of some of those joints.

One thing I noticed on that large scan is that if you look closely, you can see the "giraffe neck" bar behind the head, so it looks like that feature's probably going in.

And not to go off on too much of a tangent here, but one thing that's always bugged me just a bit about the Sv-51's design is the incredibly long nose. Does anyone else thing it would much nicer if it had a stubbier, VF-0 like nose? It would eliminate that extra joint in transformation, as well as take care of the great Mystery of the Missing Front Landing Gear. Using pics from this thread, I've whipped up what it might look like. Forgive the quality, but I only spent like 30 seconds on these.

Hmm, I wonder how difficult it would end up being to chop off, sand down, and glue a shorter nose on this thing...

post-4836-1169703550_thumb.jpg

post-4836-1169703562_thumb.jpg

Tks graham for the large scan, agree that short nose looks horrid.

The SV-51 looks great except for the intakes part, which seems to be pivoting downwards instead of inline with the fuselage, it would look alot better if it was in line with the fuselage with some form of locking mechanism.

Graham: As for the mid point hinges on the wings,is there any to find out from yamato, are they held together by plastic tabs or reinforced with a metal rod? Tks

Guy's here's the scan from Figure Oh magazine issue # 108.

I've been told that in the interview, Kawamori says the SV-51 really means a lot to him and it took him about 1 year to design. Most of his VFs have a wide body because of the legs being between the arms in fighter mode and he wanted to make the SV-51 as slim as possible. The SU-27 was his design inspiration.

IPB Image

Perhaps somebody would like to do a full translation.

Graham

Hi there.

Hey, two first posters on the same page! Welcome a-boards, guys.

Long time lurker here, but ever since seeing Macross Zero the SV-51 has become one of my favorite variable designs out there, and the prospect of a Yamato figure for it has prompted me to post. Looks awesome, but like many others I'm already bracing myself for the inevitable fragility of some of those joints.

One thing I noticed on that large scan is that if you look closely, you can see the "giraffe neck" bar behind the head, so it looks like that feature's probably going in.

And not to go off on too much of a tangent here, but one thing that's always bugged me just a bit about the Sv-51's design is the incredibly long nose. Does anyone else thing it would much nicer if it had a stubbier, VF-0 like nose? It would eliminate that extra joint in transformation, as well as take care of the great Mystery of the Missing Front Landing Gear. Using pics from this thread, I've whipped up what it might look like. Forgive the quality, but I only spent like 30 seconds on these.

Hmm, I wonder how difficult it would end up being to chop off, sand down, and glue a shorter nose on this thing...

Ha, ha! That's MW for you, buddy. Don't take this Macross zealots too seriously tho'. No one corrects Kawamori-Sama around this boards.

Personally I like the big nosecone, because it gives the plane both: a more menacing and "foreign" look, and a balance with the large tail section. Actually, I'm a bit disappointed that the Yamato SV-51 has a smaller nose than Hasegawa's.

Here is a compairison phot I made of the Yamato prototype and my Hasegawa SV-51. I tried to match the angels the best I could. I know that the Hasegawa models always have better fighter modes because it's a model, I just wanted to show a good compairison of the 2 is all. :)

Chris

Awe crap.

After seeing that side by side comparison, the nose of the Yamato looks too short now.

I like the length of the Hasegawa. That picture just ruined it for me a little bit.

Maybe I just need to get used to it. The 1/60 Yamato YF-19 looked funny to me at first also, but now I think it looks even better than the Hasegawa version in ways.

I think the long nose makes the SV-51 unique. YOu should see the 2 seater version someone kitbashed. They put the 2nd seat in front of the original cockpit, so you kinda get your "short nose" version there.

Ha, ha! That's MW for you, buddy. Don't take this Macross zealots too seriously tho'. No one corrects Kawamori-Sama around this boards.

Personally I like the big nosecone, because it gives the plane both: a more menacing and "foreign" look, and a balance with the large tail section. Actually, I'm a bit disappointed that the Yamato SV-51 has a smaller nose than Hasegawa's.

Yes I do agree on this ,longer nose and a smaller intake will be very good enough .But I think it is because of the battroid mode that set the nose to be smaller I guess ..

Is this nose long enough??? :unsure:

[attachmentid=39877][attachmentid=39878][attachmentid=39886]

post-3608-1169731597_thumb.jpg

post-3608-1169731747_thumb.jpg

post-3608-1169732638_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mowe

The Yamato looks like a great first cut.

Is the Hasegawa model more popular since that is the first one we got our hands on in the real world? If Yamato could get production toys out before the models would we be saying I like the Yamato better why did Hasegawa change this?

So how many people are going to dig out the legos again and bring back the lego threads of past.

The Yamato looks like a great first cut.

Is the Hasegawa model more popular since that is the first one we got our hands on in the real world? If Yamato could get production toys out before the models would we be saying I like the Yamato better why did Hasegawa change this?

Nah..

It's more a case of prefering the line-art towards Yamato's version, I reckon, since Hasagawa's models tend to stay closer to the line art by virtue of it not having to transform.

LEGO VFs... I need to get to my parent's place and get back my youth's supply of LEGOs. ^_^

LEGO VFs... I need to get to my parent's place and get back my youth's supply of LEGOs. ^_^

LOL! When I was a kid and Macross toys weren't around here in the Netherlands and the internet didn't exist yet (yes kids, there was a time when people had to get through an entire evening without surfing the net! :) ), I made a lego version of a VF-1. It should still be intact somewhere in my parents attic. I should look it up and put it in my display case with the Yamato's. If the HFH can play with Lego, I sure as hell can too!

Edited by Dante74

LEGO-en.. dat was nog eens een tijd! ^_^

I used to make LEGO Transformers, transformable of course, because my parents didn't want to buy me an Optimus Prime, Starscream or Bumblebee. :lol:

So you are Dutch! Wow, four confirmed Dutch Macross fans on the boards! Who would have thought it possible. Most of my friends never even heard of Robotech. Whenever I mention Macross all I get is blank stares like :huh:

LOL! My parents didn't buy me any Transformers either. They made me choose between Star Wars and Transformers and I chose the first.

IMO LEGO is the best kind of toy for kids because it stimulates the creative process and teaches them to solve problems while having fun. When/if I have kids I'll definitely buy them LEGO. If only it wasn't so damned expensive! :(

EDIT*

Aplogies for taking the thread of topic, please continue. ^_^

Edited by Dante74

If you want a short-nose plane, get an F-8. :)

Yes, because those transform. :D

Anyway as far as everyone's comments on my little photoshops, eh whatever, I like it. I just thought it would be nice to not have to fold the nose in half.

And I just noticed on that new scan that the joint where the wing attaches is a different color plastic. Maybe they're already checking for stress marks?

Edited by ARKARY

The short nose isn't "ridiculous" per se; it's just not the SV-51, and since what everyone (almost) wants is a faithful (or as near as possible given the constraints of the medium and scale) representation of the Mech as seen in Macross Zero, the short nose is a non starter, and it just does not look right... much too tail heavy and stubby.