Yamato's 1/60 SV-51.

UN Spacy

ok, opened mine, though sine im at work I havent transformed it yet or anything.

Its a nice lookin bird, though whoever suggested painting the white around the fans had a good idea; it certainlky stands out. i didnt realise how floppy it is; those of you who like to pretend barrel rolls will be in for some poor wing action; theydo flop around a bit upside down.

Also; does the gunpod fire in fighter? Coz the barrel seems to be pointing towards the cokpit in mine...

"Doesn't the CA glue melt the joints a little bit after it penetrates through capillary action??"

I didn't apply enough CA to do anything that dramatic... Just the absolutely thinnest film, applied by toothpick, on the metal pin, in order to tighten up the joint a bit. I kept it moving it while it set, so it never really grabbed anything.

Using clear fingernail polish would probably work too, I guess that's pretty standard practice, for Yamato joint tightening?

~Luke

The "Yamato wing fixer" would be the two metal pegs, I believe.

The CA is exactly what I did on mine, likewise, it now works perfectly, and Dojumpjump has just saved me the task of posting pictures/instructions myself. Thanks! :D

~Luke

no thx,

yes, I mean two metal pegs, thanks your description!!

Doesn't the CA glue melt the joints a little bit after it penetrates through capillary action??

Mine should arrive tomorrow but I'll wait and see if it's tight enough before taking any action.

CA glue didn't melt a plastic,

actually, it form a thin layer to fill the gap within a join, so increase friction of the join

Also; does the gunpod fire in fighter? Coz the barrel seems to be pointing towards the cokpit in mine...

Eh? The gunpod points straight ahead with a clear unobstructed line of fire. How the heck do you have it pointing at the cockpit?

Graham

In fighter mode, Wings look so straight even I don't use Yamato wing fixer

sv51_sol5_6.jpg

try to compare swoosh's photo, (sorry to swoosh), there are totally difference on wings

DSCF1485_s.jpg

I hope this can help sv-51 owners

Thanks for the detailed steps, too bad I am not a skilled modeller like you....

Hey Graham, shall we have a "quick fix tips" section for Macross toy? I saw one for YF-19...

Edited by Swoosh

then underside, but i fixed it anyway.

ok, im about...oh, half transformed, maybe 4/5. And I am sad to say I have 2 qc issues.

1) theres a small peg the clips the battroid together that folds out and clicks between the nose and the lower hip area of the fighter. hen i tried to push these together, the plate popped out, held on only by a screw. I cant seem to push it back in, though i can just take it home, unscrew it, and then redo it together. not a huge problem, but it wont just snap back the way it was, which worries me.

2) i have a MAJOR stress mark on the rightside hinge where the winghub meets the shoulder.

shoulder2.jpg

Right there. behind that black clip part. when i first moved it the damn thing felt GLUED into place. When i get home and have some time, Ill work the joint carefully to loosen it; I have some movement already, and I think if careful Ill be ok. But it's definitely one to watch out for.

ok, I finished transforming, and it IS a very pretty bird in battroid too. I too have the double right hinge, and now that I see it in person i probably can fix it if I need to, it doesnt look to complex. I love the SIZE of this thing, it feels very imposing.

I do kinda like it, though the problems worry me...

Yep, I've got that same stress mark. I've been monitoring it, about 12 transformations so far, and it doesn't seem to be progressing. I'm torn between reinforcing it with epoxy, or leaving it as-is, so I can keep an eye on it.

~Luke

Im at 2 cycles through so far, and have noted it not getting worse. It's just that first time u mve it that causes it i think; mine was very stiff.

I fixed the otehr clip bit and it seems to be ok now, so that must have just been a non issue on my part.

I'm liking it more the more i play with it.

I'm at about 15 transformations so far and although the main wing hinges do have stress marks, they haven't gotten any worse so far.

Graham

.....oh great just what I needed to hear. <_<

In other words, just keep playing 'till you get to the inevitable point of no return. These issues constantly keep reminding me of the old Tootsie Pop commercials where no one exactly knows how many licks it takes to get the the center, because everyone always takes a bite and ruins the count.

One, Two hooooo, Thrrreeeee....CRACK!! :lol:

The more I look at all my Yamato Valkyries, the more I'm convinced that the company has very talented designers, but very lackluster engineers --not as poor as the jokers at Toynami, but not as competent as they should be either: choosing adversely reacting materials even though their interactions are well documented (a little research on the internet would have prevented a lot of VF-0 grief), designing left and right wing hinges that are just an assembly snafu waiting to happen when a single hinge that could be used on either side without causing folding problems would have been a cheaper, better, solution (when engineering something, KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID! is a motto that should be taken as gospel), and the most egregious, boneheaded, engineering no-no... NEVER, EVER, MAKE A MOLDED PLASTIC PART WITH SHARP INSIDE CORNERS!, and if the part will be subjected to any sheer or torque stress that little rule is even more important (.5 mm for non stressed corners and 1.0 mm for anything that will encounter a load should be a given).

I hope that if Yamato reps read my post they will take it as positive criticism, and a challenge for them to implement better engineering practices and assembly forethought in their future offerings ( I'd love to see the YF-21 incorporate filleted corners on load bearing parts and wing hinging that would make the SV-51's known issues, however minor, moot).

I've already received a shipping notice from HLJ and I'm looking forward to getting this bird. Everything I've read so far points to a fairly trouble free first issue (a Yamato first in many years), but the minor goofs, even if easy to remedy, cannot be excused.

Edited by mechaninac

Well said mine should be in my hand next week so impatient to get it honestly and issues found were minor for me even if they should not exist for the price we are all paying and the second one should arrive in the end of next week

a friend will be in japan and he is going to bring me back one :lol:

I reserve the second one for a flanker camo sheme ^_^

Yes, I agree, good engineering practice states that you should fillet joints, in order to prevent stress concentrations from forming. I suppose they could even modify the existing molds, since adding fillets would mean removing material from the mold...

~Luke

its somewhere in the mid 80's.

Fiddling with mine more, Im pretty convinced that wing hinge won't be to big a problem, it was just over tight that first time. It doesnt really have any stresses put on it unless u do it yourself, so if u are gentle i dont see it ever becoming worse.

The wing missle problem; I definitely have that too; the right far port doesnt want to take the pod at all. I suspect the front edge that is supposed to hook in is to thick, I might have a go at it tonight and see if i can do anything about that. The reason that the pods fall off more easily is in the design of the lock as well; where the VF-1 locks and VF-0 locks both had room for the missles to rotate left and right, the 51 doesnt. That means if u bump it, insidead of turning sideways it just falls off. as long as u are careful, that shouldnt be to big a deal.

As for the loose wing/ double right joint, I can see that now (and mine has it as well) but the fixes do look pretty easy so I might give them a shot.

I think overall I'm happy enough with the toy....but the fighter itself isnt one of my favourites. Thats more of a reflection on my feelings for the look of the 51 than anything. It just doesnt hook me the way the zero or the 19 does. No reflection on the toy, just a reflection on the design, from my POV.

I'm in love :wub::wub::wub: . I have a left and a right wing hinge ;):D . However my wings are lose, therfor I will be doing the superglue thing.

I luv it I luv it I luv it.

Edited by robodragon

I'm in love :wub::wub::wub: . I have a left and a right wing hinge ;):D . However my wings are lose, therfor I will be doing the superglue thing.

I luv

it I luv it I luv it.

Got mine also today :lol:

Unfortunately, the wings are lose even in jet mode.

I was doing some acrobatic maneuvers and suddenly the part where the wing(I forgot if it was the left or right) meets the fuselage suddenly loosened :blink: The opposite wing is tight but the other wing is loose and want to flop around.

Darn.

I'll tranform my SV-51 later tonight.

Happy, Happy!

Just checked my shipping status and it's sitting on my front porch waiting. Damn you normal work hours! I'll be spending some time with this baby tonight.

I've refained from making many posts in this thread until I had my 51 in hand to get a good feel for it. I'll post what I think of it, and any problems/lack of problems I encounter, tomorrow. Now I just neet to make it throught the next 7 hours.... :wacko:

Edited by Busted VF1A

Got mine! I came home last night, not even thinking about it, and there it was! I was shocked since I thought it would take much longer to ship. Looks awesome right out of the box, of course. I paid around $220 w/ shipping using hlj.

I did run into a few problems. Like others, the wing tips do not stay up when loaded with accessories. The bigger problem was the right hand came apart on me very easily and the thumb is glued in place. I cannot get the gun in the hand either. I am really disappointed that the missiles do not clip on securely. Why? They had it right on the 1/48's.

The good news is that transformation is a lot easier than I thought. It is really slick how this thing transforms. There are so many moving, bending, folding parts but yet everything feels sturdy. It stands just as well, or better than other Yamato valks. Some of the joints are a little loose but again, same as before.

Got my SV-51 in today. It's pretty big.

Got a new flaw for ya. The face actually cracked on mine, and I was being really gentle with it. Luckly it's a very easy fix. A dab of thick superglue, and a quick shot of accelerator and it's all beter!

post-122-1189109272_thumb.jpg

You can make out the line down the side of the face, but it's not really noticeable.

How widespread is two right wing joint problem? Is it all, or just some?

So Far it seems like most have that problem, with just a few NOT having the problem.

Chris

Here's a pic of the size difference.

Left to right: VF-1, VF-0, YF-19, SV-51. Of course, all are in scale (1:60)

post-122-1189122519_thumb.jpg

As I said, it's pretty big...

cool size comparison pic. I can't wait till i get mine. Doesn't look like twin moons has even charged my account... so I guess I'm looking at another month or so. <_<