Yamato's 1/60 SV-51.

UN Spacy

More cycling, nothing to report.

I did start tightening joints, starting on the outer wing hinges. I also found I have two right hinges, so I removed, flipped, and trimmed, 100% successful. (For what it's worth, it took all of 5 minutes. Very easy.)

The wings now hold the "boosters lit" configuration, without resting the wings on the anti-ship missiles... Also, I think I've found a way to keep the wings from sagging with full loadout, I'll post if it works.

~Luke

post-3133-1188756368_thumb.jpg

Edited by IAD

The wings now hold the "boosters lit" configuration, without resting the wings on the anti-ship missiles... Also, I think I've found a way to keep the wings from sagging with full loadout, I'll post if it works.

~Luke

Now that is good news right there!

More cycling, nothing to report.

I did start tightening joints, starting on the outer wing hinges. I also found I have two right hinges, so I removed, flipped, and trimmed, 100% successful. (For what it's worth, it took all of 5 minutes. Very easy.)

~Luke

Yeh, please do share your methods so that we could also enjoy a tighter wings with full load out. My SV51 chicken wings are quite loose even i have yet to transform it. Million thanks.

Edited by ikhii

Ok, so far, it looks like there's two ways of doing this:

Both require that you tighten the outer wing panel hinge. I used a TINY amount of thin CA (superglue) applied with a toothpick. And I mean a TINY amount, not even a drop, more like a film on the toothpick. I put it on the metal rod, right in the middle of the hinge. (I'll add photos later.) Put enough so that with boosters and pods, the wing will hold any angle without difficulty. Fingernail polish would probably work just fine, the CA is just more permanent, in my opinion.

Now, option (1):

Just a slight mistransformation. See pics. This may or may not require that you correct any double-right or double-left hinges. (Again, I'll add photos showing how that's done, later.) This trick takes advantage of the fact that the "wing end" the small double-hinge is much stiffer than the "fuselage end." Basically, the double-hinge oriented vertically, as in Battroid mode.

Option (2) is a bit more complex, and as of yet, only tentatively proven, but basically, a small shim in the right spot will allow the wings to stay level, even when properly transformed. What I plan to do is make the shim out of a layer of J.B. Weld epoxy. The stuff is grey, so it will blend right in. I'll tell you how this works out.

At the same time, I'll be adding fillets to the wing-support/body pivots, where those stress marks are. They aren't getting worse, but may as well make sure it stays that way.

~Luke

post-3133-1188766298_thumb.jpg

post-3133-1188766307_thumb.jpg

Edited by IAD

hello

is it the picture but your panel lines are white ???

it looks wrong honestly I think you should panel it with dark grey color instead....

:huh:

I think that black pannel lines would look great too. Grey may be too close to the color of the bird.

Hmm I need to do the mod IAD mentioned to hold the wings are angle. I noticed that if I put on the gun pods on the wing, in gerwalk mode it'll make the wing sag now. I finally figured out how to make the gun stay in the hand better. I'll post more kill pictures later.

Btw, I noticed my pics are resized while others are full screen. How do I upload it so it'll be full screen where one doesnt need to click on a thumbnail?

My SV-51 just shipped but here's something strange for ya.

I pre-ordered the SV-51 as soon as it was offered which was, what, six months ago? I chose EMS for the shipping method, because with an item this valuable, I want to be able to track its voyage around the globe. Last month I ordered the Miyatake Design Works book and chose SAL shipping. To my surprise, HLJ combined the items and sent them out using SAL. :blink: This is the first time HLJ has combined a shipment with my orders and I appreciate them combining the orders, but I'm not sure I'm happy with their choice of shipping method. With SAL, the package might slip through customs undetected so it might turn out to be a little cheaper, but as I said, with a package this valuable I want to be able to track it. Let's hope it doesnt take six weeks to get here. :wacko:

Yes however they state

"EMS: 4,700 yen

Note: This item will only be shipped by a trackable method due to its value."

Right in the listing. So due to their own listing this should never have happened regardless of what previous shipping you chose.

That turning/back/side kick? :blink: I don't think that can be done, a front step kick instead may be.... :lol:

Ok that will do :lol: ...but pls try the turning back side kick thingy if you can...without breaking the SV-51 of course ^_^

Edit: ooopss..just saw the pics...nice ^_^

Edited by gian7675

This is a post to show how I try to fix the loose wings problem when it's wings attached all missiles

I think this is a seriously problem , even Yamato add a wing fixer.. but not a very good solution

on the right hand size, the problem is fixed, comparing to left hand size, totaly different outcome.

sv51_sol5_1.jpg

Actually, I use CA Glue to fix this problem

sv51_sol5_2.jpg

please remember

1. only apply very few Glue to a join at first, and clear out excessive glue

2. after that, try to move the join for 10 seconds, after 30 seconds, move it again to avoid the join stick together

3. if not enough, please redo step 1-2

4. please stick a join one by one

the red circles are where I apply a glue to

sv51_sol5_3.jpg

sv51_sol5_4.jpg

finally, the problem solved

sv51_sol5_5.jpg

In fighter mode, Wings look so straight even I don't use Yamato wing fixer

sv51_sol5_6.jpg

try to compare swoosh's photo, (sorry to swoosh), there are totally difference on wings

DSCF1485_s.jpg

I hope this can help sv-51 owners

Edited by dojumpjump

The "Yamato wing fixer" would be the two metal pegs, I believe.

The CA is exactly what I did on mine, likewise, it now works perfectly, and Dojumpjump has just saved me the task of posting pictures/instructions myself. Thanks! :D

~Luke

Edited by IAD

The "Yamato wing fixer" would be the two metal pegs, I believe.

The CA is exactly what I did on mine, likewise, it now works perfectly, and Dojumpjump has just saved me the task of posting pictures/instructions myself. Thanks! :D

~Luke

Doesn't the CA glue melt the joints a little bit after it penetrates through capillary action??

Mine should arrive tomorrow but I'll wait and see if it's tight enough before taking any action.