Yamato's 1/60 SV-51.

UN Spacy

I am new to this whole Macross Yamato “toy” thing, but I have purchased almost all of them in the last 6 weeks, so I do have an example of just about everything they make.

Firstly I think that calling these “toys” is just silly. They are “transformable display items” or “Art”. There is nothing about any Yamato product that I have that screams “TOY”. They are to be displayed, not played with. And they are to be transformed with tender loving care. Once again, they are not “toys”. I agree that some specific situations could have been better addressed by Yamato, but that plays into my next point…….you get what you pay for.

I hear more than anything else on this board “If I am paying $150+ for one of these they should be perfect” etc, etc, etc, etc. I hate to break it to you but in the year 2007 $150 is not a lot of money. It costs me $75 just to fill the gas tank in my truck, and it’s an F150, not a Mack. I realize that some of you are young, in school, don’t have a ton of disposable income, etc. But that doesn’t make $150 worth more than $150. I think the quality, size, design, etc of the Yamato Macross stuff is incredible for $150 and I am glad they don’t cost more. We are talking about a product with very, very low production numbers that for most of us is not even officially imported to our country. If these were “Transformers” or whatever is the hot kids toy out there right now and had a TV show on every day at 3:00pm supporting it these would cost $19.99 (they probably wouldn’t be as nice though).. Mass production means mass production. These, I am afraid are not mass produced.

How about value? Most of you I am sure take a little pride in having a hobby that is not part of the mainstream. It seems that most people on this board have some complex personalities and for the most part seem a bit more creative and intelligent than your average bear. You have chosen to operate outside the mainstream, and in doing so have chosen to spend more money on what you love than lets say your average NASCAR or WWF fan. As far as hobbies go, especially non mainstream hobbies this Macross stuff is dirt cheap. What do you think it costs to collect art? Collect guns? Have a fast car? Race ANYTHING?

I think it’s amazing that I can purchase something from a far off land, that relates to a subject that almost no one knows about, has incredible quality, looks super cool and all for about $150 a shot! I have never ever once looked at a Yamato item as cheap, or crappy.

Enjoy your Yamato “toys”, chalk the idiosyncrasies up to low production numbers and a niche market. If they bother you so much that you get upset about them you are missing the point of what they are and what they have to offer and at that point you ARE paying too much for them.

My $.02

Hit it man! B))

Thanks. I hope you had a chance to look at it. :)

Oh another question.when folding the nose under, it says to open the landing gear door so the nose folds into the wheel well. It mentions something about pushing the rear, front landing wheel door inwards? I can't do it and I don't want to force it. Anybody else got it?

Wow, away from the boards for a few days and this thread grows by 15 pages ... whoa!!

:lol:

Pics are awesome - thanks to all for posting!! This looks better that I initially thought. Will wait for Graham's review.

:)

Having said that, I will continue to maintain that attacking people, calling them names or talking down to them because they have differing view points is uncalled for. Ultimately, it's a toy and stop taking it so damn personally.

QFT

I thought I'll post my comments on this nice replica. I know there are better people to do a review so this is a take from a newbie point-of-view.

I love the design of plane. Such details. Nothing comes close to what you could buy here in USA. (re:old BanDai toys) I can see that if I continue to play with this toy, I'll have a few problems. And bear in mind, some of these are just me, not really the model or it could be my toy with these issues.

1) Lots of pointy parts. The "helmet" with the pointy plastic. I can see me bending that. This is not the fault of the model, the "real" vehicle had it. Same goes for the front canards and wing tips. Many skinny plastic parts on this toy. I WON'T let my 5 year old son touch this.

2) What you guys call stress points (I think). Where if you bend a part too much, the part turns white from stress? I can see a few places where that might happen. Where the white jet intakes attaches to the body. Its held in place with the metal pins. (balls?) If I'm not carefully, I can see me rotating them by accident where the shell separates on the glue lines. I don't want to glue the lines in case thats there to relieve stress.

3) Some parts are too loose and or to hard to put on. For mine:

a) The wings are loose. If you turn the unit upside down, the wings will fold on the folding joint.

b) The rear wings rotate really easy on one side.

c) I can't seem to keep the hands from showing while in plane mode.

d) Top part of the gun that goes between the legs are hard as heck to clip back in. I get one side, then the the other side won't lock in place with the pins.

e) The landing gear doors doesn't always stay shut. I can see over time this part coming loose.

f) I can't see to get the mech to hold the gun in his hand without falling. Must be me, as others stated it hold it well.

g) On mine, there was a screw that wasn't on all the way on the wing. Philips screwdriver fixed it. I thought it wasn't gonna go on, but it seems like they really didn't tighten it not that the screw was on crooked

4) They need strong magnets. All the parts the use magnets to hold parts on, doesn't seem strong enough. Just strong enough to hold it...maybe.

5) Loose or bad fitting parts.

a) My gun in the back where the grip folds down isn't glued. I had to re-glue it. Every time you bent the handle down, the plastic separate on the gun.

b) Putting the gun back on the plane. Mine won't stay on. They could've used a sliding lock instead of pressure. Right now, you push the gun on the peg and by friction it stays on. Instead they could've mad the peg with a grove. You push the gun on the peg, then slide it back to lock it.

I didn't put on the gun pods. They are still in the box. So no comments on that.

Sorry no pictures on teh parts I was talking about. Maybe later when I get enough nerv to transform it again from the plane mode. :)

Hope others can tell me its just mine. But for $220, I expected a bit more quality. I would say I would still buy this if it was hmm... $125? I don't think I lost out for ordering this. Don't get me wrong, this is one fine toy. But because I mail ordered it, I couldn't get it for the MSRP. So this is what I get for wanting the be first. No regrets.

Edited by starstreak007

I thought I'll post my comments on this nice replica. I know there are better people to do a review so this is a take from a newbie point-of-view.

I love the design of plane. Such details. Nothing comes close to what you could buy here in USA. (re:old BanDai toys) I can see that if I continue to play with this toy, I'll have a few problems. And bear in mind, some of these are just me, not really the model or it could be my toy with these issues....

Do you have the left left hinge or the right right hinge problem?

YEA! My SV-51 is finally listed as being Processed for Shipping at HLJ. I really hope they ship it before the weekend

Edited by Busted VF1A

YEA! My SV-51 is finally listed as being Processed for Shipping at HLJ. I really hope they ship it before the weekend

I've had the same message from them, but don't count on it being shipped before monday cause their site also says they won't be back untill monday.

I've had the same message from them, but don't count on it being shipped before monday cause their site also says they won't be back untill monday.

I know, but I can hope :rolleyes:

Our expections should not be based on the $50 sweat shop dollars yamato pays it's contracted factories per valk... Our expectations on the quality of their products should solely be based on the hard earned 197.45 dollars YAMATO thinks we should pay for their products and polish. When the discrepancy between what they think $197.45 should buy and what consumers think it should buy increases to their favor, that's when we got a problem....

Personally for me, for the money yamato on average charges for valks, these things should be AT LEAST design-defect free. NO MATTER WHAT. Factory QC defects, maybe... depending on how serious.

In the case of the sv-51... so far so good.

no need for peace signs or anything else.

my point had nothing to do with prices, value, or worth, just that we shouldn't expect $200 worth of QC/effort from yamato when its only costing them $50 to make and how that helps me deal with my dissatisfaction, thats all.

BTW, SV-51 = $1150 HKD = $147.49 USD

Do you have the left left hinge or the right right hinge problem?

quite a number of us who got the SV-51 locally here have the same right wing unable to close fully, duplicated right hinge instead of a left hinge problem. Was wondering why graham mentioned his does not have a hinge problem. did a check on mine, yes it does have the same right hinge instead of a left hinge

What abt you swoosh, you have the same problem?

Edited by recon

Hey Dobber how long did it take for HLJ to send you the payment request email?

I got my email last night requesting payment. I did have a credit card on file though(which for some reason wouldn't work) so I payed with Paypal. I have noticed in the past, that..if you originally intend to use paypal as your payment method it can sometimes take longer to get the payment request then for those that just use a credit card on file through their site.

Chris

Crap :)

I just got my VF-0S, not to mention Encore Starscream, 20 MISB BW II and BW Neo figures and am waiting on Encore Soundwave....

And ran out of money for the Ivanonov!! Arrgh!! :(

But then - I got one of my (smaller) paychecks today and am expecting payment today from someone who bought so old TFs for me....

So hopefully when HLJ charge my credit card - I just ordered the Ivanov (after having cancelled my preorder to avoid the hassel of "your card doesn't work") ... it will have adequate funds on it...

Although given that I had to pay import tax for the VF0S and had to take my girlfriend out to dinner... it's gonna come mighty close!! :) :)

Oh yeah... and I need to pay the rent too :)

VFTF1

I got one, and... Wow, this is nice... So big, and very mean looking!

It can even do the periscope firing pose!

Overall, I'm very impressed, there are a few joints I'm going to tighten up, but aside from that, it seems very well designed. I for one am not having much trouble with the composite weapon/fuel pods, they seem to stay quite well. Also, the wings fold equally, no double-right hinge, as far as I can see.

I've done two complete transformation cycles, and so far, everything's still in one piece, though on close inspection, I did find a couple stress marks. I think they're minor, but for the record, one is where the metal wing support connects to the main body, and the others are around the fin pivots (both sides).

I didn't apply abnormal force to any of these joints, and as I cycle the parts, they don't seem to be getting worse, so I'm thinking that this is just the result of assembly stresses. (The camera flash makes them look much worse than they are, by the way.)

Does anyone else have marks like this?

~Luke

post-3133-1188596193_thumb.jpg

post-3133-1188596206_thumb.jpg

post-3133-1188596436_thumb.jpg

post-3133-1188596442_thumb.jpg

Edited by IAD

There's nothing minor about that stress mark in the fourth picture. YIKES. :wacko:

is that one even a stress mark, looks like a crack. I guess it could be the flash reflecting back on the white of a stress mark making it look really bad, but man, that looks nasty.

Yup same stress point. See my review. I wish I put up pics but didnt have time. But yeah, I hope the unit doesnt break on those parts.

IAD- How do you get it to get a firm grip on the gun? mine doesnt seem to hold the gun at all. can yu take a pic of his hand hold?

Edited by starstreak007

Just sent the payment to hlj...167 Euro...i don`t think it can get any cheaper than this...too bad i`ll have to wait until December to enjoy it :(:(

I have a question though...mine has been shipped via SAL while on the HLJ pag there is written that ``This item will be shipped only through a trackable method and BLA BLA...``

How come?