Yamato's 1/60 SV-51.

UN Spacy

Fake translation of the mag:

Kawamori: As you can see, I've designed the SV-51 for over a year and this one is very special for me.

So I told Yamato to first produce a SV-51 with a short nose. After they release it and the Macross fans buys the SV-51 short nose and the SV-51 variants, I'll revise the nose and make it longer...I'm sure they'll buy the revised version too...(laughs out with an evil laugh :p )

Know how you feel! In the middle of a PCS move. Have to use the wife's computer in the hotel room. The SV-51 would make a nice house warming gift.

oh wow.

I go on a business trip and bam, I come back and find this.

Definitely looks cool, but I wonder how QC free this one will be...

No No No, Kawamori-san will tell us that the SV-51 was supposed to look like that and the animators got it wrong! :p

Chris

P.S. I too prefer the long nosed (cannon) version, but if you like the short nosed mod. then go for it. It's just not for me either.

Nani, what's your ruling on the color choice? :)

heh heh,

Being that it's supposed to be black, I suppose it doesn't take a "Jenius" to pick the right color. :lol:

The dark dark grey used for this SV-51 is what the ghost should have been colored as.

I hope they tampo print the markings... on a white valk, sticker edges dont show too well, but it's dead obvious on a darker colored surface..

Man, I think this is the first time I´ve actually felt impressed beyond my expectations by Yamato before actually seeing the proper toy :o

But along those feelings comes a sense of insecurity, just look at all those hinges, gosh, that thing will be a QC nightmare from tip to bottom.

This is THE valk that has all of my attention right now ( well, at least until they release the VF-0D or the

VF-5000 of course) but as much as I would love to have one as soon as possible this is going to be be a BIG NO-NO for the first run(s).

just look at how much Yamato ensured us that the YF-19 would have critical QC and yet we´ve seen so many

problems as of late, looking at this toy I think they´ll need at least 3 runs before they get it right...something doubtful to hapen if nobody bites the bait the first time around.

Hopefuly they pay attention to what happened with the VF-0 and YF-19 and take their time to ensure the first release goes smooth.

Also:

Forget about black, WHITE is the new black

I hope if they ever make a custom it´ll be this one

post-553-1169787281_thumb.jpg

Edited by Aegis!

I'm probably going to be stoned to death for this, but I think the nose on the Yamato actually looks MORE accurate to the official line are than the hase kit.

The hase might be more accurate in actual length, but the shape of the Yamato is way better to me. The Hase looks too drooped and bulbous compared to how the SV-51’s drawn.

Also from the line art, the intakes don't look to blocky in my opinion. The problem is more that there to shallow, as in the compressor blades should be back farther. Though, they may have to be there in order to make the transformation work. Also the saw tooth on the lower part of the intake should be pointier.

The only part that actually bothers me though is the face. I know the sensor guard thing is cannon and used in the OVA, but I think it would look better if they used the exposed cameras and sensors.

1st and foremost, my hats off to Yamato for making this beautiful bird, my 2nd favorite to the Yf-21. I'm sure there can be some modification & tweak to make it more accurate to the lineart. But if no changes made by Yamato, that will not stop me from owning one regardless :p

Anyway, just playing around w/ the composite Dobber had put together and wat if the following modification was made to have a longer nose and shorter tail fin, will this be more accurate?

post-1652-1169790297_thumb.jpg

Edited by to177

I honestly can't tell the difference with the nose and I like the larger tail fins.

I find it odd that people are actually complaining that they want SMALLER control surfaces.

I know the sensor guard thing is canon and used in the OVA, but I think it would look better if they used the exposed cameras and sensors.

Yeah, you know if they were going for a more primitive look on these predecessors the heads offered great opportunities. Some big lenses and sensor arrays only partially shielded would have done well for that I think. Out of curiosity, does anyone think Roy's plane should be a VF-0J since it only has the two guns?

Has anyone already discussed the name of the GBPIII? The name is "City Urban Camoflauge Color." Let's go over this, "City Urban" isn't exactly a great start seeing as the words are being used interchangeably. "Camoflauge Color" isn't a very good end seeing as "Camoflauge" almost always means some manner of varying colors/tones and thus should necessitate a pluralization. Basically, I think I have to nominate this for worst-named Yamato product. The toy should be named "Urban Camoflauge Version" or simply "Urban Camoflauge."

End rant.

Short/long/tall or shot...Overall, I'm very impressed with this toy already.

I think wat I'm worried bout most are the joints and how durable it will be after a few transformation. Seeing all the QC problem on the VF-0S & 0A, hope Yamato will make this one a winner :D

1st and foremost, my hats off to Yamato for making this beautiful bird, my 2nd favorite to the Yf-21. I'm sure there can be some modification & tweak to make it more accurate to the lineart. But if no changes made by Yamato, that will not stop me from owning one regardless :p

Anyway, just playing around w/ the composite Dobber had put together and wat if the following modification was made to have a longer nose and shorter tail fin, will this be more accurate?

There's a long nose, and then there is too long.

I think your's is too long.

I'm probably going to be stoned to death for this, but I think the nose on the Yamato actually looks MORE accurate to the official line are than the hase kit.

The hase might be more accurate in actual length, but the shape of the Yamato is way better to me. The Hase looks too drooped and bulbous compared to how the SV-51’s drawn.

Speaking of that...

Does anyone have some official SV-51 line art that they could post in this thread? It would help in determining whether the Hase or Yamato version is most accurate. I still like the look of the Hase fighter mode better, but again, that may just be because I'm used to it, and I'm having trouble finding line art.

Speaking of that...

Does anyone have some official SV-51 line art that they could post in this thread? It would help in determining whether the Hase or Yamato version is most accurate. I still like the look of the Hase fighter mode better, but again, that may just be because I'm used to it, and I'm having trouble finding line art.

[attachmentid=39905]

post-515-1169793784_thumb.jpg

When does something stop becoming dark grey and become pure black?

Black is just very dark grey. It's subjective.

technicaly there's no such thing as black.

but the color yamato is using looks about right. form the anime it looks like there using a charcol gray. most people who are using black are going to dark.

the color in this pic looks a little darker than the yamato, but its from a night sequence.

post-4286-1169794891_thumb.jpg

Finally I found where the inspiration for the nose cone had come to Kawamori-San.

Pentech M-80 Ten color pen!

Ten-Color Pens by Pentech:

It's called Fireworks and is more oriented for children. It writes pink, green, red, yellow, blue, black, aquamarine, purple, orange and brown. Each ballpoint cartridge is retractable. There are ten push tabs of the corresponding color. Sliding one tab all the way forward will lock it in place. Pressing the plunger releases it and another color can be selected. Length is 5" and is 23/32" in diameter. It weighs 19 grams, or a little over 5/8 of an ounce. This is model M-80. The address is Pentech International Inc., Edison, NJ 08817 (China). It sells at Wal-Mart for $1.94.

In our lovely SV-51:

Just nose cone and spikes around it which are part of the active stealth system :)

IPB Image

Edited by charger69

Isn't that supposed to be strapped to the back of the YF-19?

Thanks for the new comparison pic Vic.

Looks like Kawamori placed the cockpit a little further towards tha back of the plane in the line art.

In the screenshot the cockpit canopy looks gold. F-16's also have that. I hpe Yamato give the cockpit canopy a gold effect too. It'd look great with the black very dark grey.

Using the comparison shot provided by Vic - everything seems to proportioned

incorrectly from the wings being thicker than the line art and the Nose cone is

too short, the tail fins are way too large. Its a cool comparison. Designing it

for the real world shows that there had to alot f compromises.

ARKARY made the point I was going to--the heatshield is black, the rest of the plane is lighter. Thus, the plane isn't black. :) Also, the black-grey mentioned in the Hasegawa instructions isn't a generic color, they specify RLM66, which is a Luftwaffe color that literally translates to "BlackGrey". The RLM wasn't very inventive with color names, as opposed to the US's FS595 system, which has a name for almost every shade. RLM66 is considered to match FS36081, "Euro 1 Grey". Though personally for painting Ivanov's I would go with the next darker shade, 36076 (which is the darkest grey in the FS system). 36081 IMHO is distinctly "dark grey" while 36076 is *very* close to black.

Anyways--we always want bigger tailfins because Yamato keeps making them too small. Well, on the Sv-51 they're too big, so this time we want them smaller. All we want is to make it match the lineart/anime.

PS---Nora's has a distinctly gold canopy. Check it out: (this is also a good angle for comparison, this is the CG model from Bandai's site)

::edit:: More pics---here's the CG model for the CF Sv-51---I still think it looks kinda golden. ALso, Nora's in gerwalk.

I liked the modified version that to177 posted. Particularly with the smaller stabs that's my main problem with the Yamato. Otherwise its not bad at all. Also, maybe the bottoms of the legs MAY be a bit too big like "Bell Bottoms" giving it the back heavy look that the Yamato has.

As for the color I used Tamiya German Grey.....it's the darkest grey I've seen out there. The slightly lighter panels are MM Euro Grey. The only black on my model are the "shins" of the legs, which are the tops of the engines, and the engine fan cover, that's it. :)

Chris

Edited by Dobber

A new comparison shot for anyone interested.

IPB Image

Nice job!

When comparing, you need to be aware of the more pronounced perspective on the line art compared to the two models.

The nose may look bigger than it actually is, and the aft fuselage (tailplanes and legs/engine bays) smaller than intended.

Going back to look at to177's modified version of Yamato's SV-51 I find that I really like what he did, longer nose and smaller stabs really make a difference for the better IMHO. It just looks more balanced, as it is right now it just looks too back heavy like the old 1/72 yf-19.

Chris