Yamato's 1/60 SV-51.

UN Spacy

Wow the MP SS is awasome! I had no idea of the scale/quality. It looks great in that shot!

Too bad I made myself a 1 transformers rule. And I already got a custom Prime :unsure:

Thanks. I messed up Skywarps left horizontal tailfin in that photo and realized that I accidentally bumped it so it's angled up a bit, but I'm glad you like the photo. I'm also thinking about adopting the 1 Transformer rule too since there's nothing interesting out, and I'm still looking for an '08 movie Bumblebee...

Eventually it will be true.

Good news, I am looking forward to 2nd issue.post-3608-1189682439.gif

yups me too, hopefully this time the duplicated right hinge problem will be resolved. Feel that yamato should have done some marking on the hinges to guide those toopid factory workers, which are the right and left hinges to assemble

Hi guys, It just arrived an hour ago!! and wanted to contribute my first impressions...

To my fellow Canadians, who may appreciate a timeline from HLJ to Toronto and pricing info. I ordered it on Aug 31 online (from HLJ, I know its not the cheapest, but its in the ballpark and if there are any replacement parts officially issued by Yamato for any acknowledged flaws, then its a lot easier to get them sent to me by HLJ if I bought from them in the first place.), received order confirmation Sep 02, received shipping confirmation Sep 09 (which they also charged my credit card then) and finally today, Sep 13 (four days after shipping) it arrived at my door! Total of 13 days from online click to arrive at my doorstep - pretty good I think! Now the bad part... it cost 4,700yens for EMS shipping and I was charged GST and PST plus a handling fee of $8 for a total of $35.93cdn by customs & duty for a package that apparently had no duty nor excise tax by Canada Post. So that brings the grand total of just under $300 Canadian for this toy to arrive in my hands. Anyone know of a local shop in town that can do it substantially cheaper, please let me know - as far as I know, no local shop in town has it yet either.

Ok, that out of the way... first impressions when I held the box in my hand: hmmm... the HLJ carton seems small and feels light for this toy - everyone says its huge?! The HLJ carton is exactly the same size but a little thicker - so some of the corner dings transferred through the carton onto the Yamato box unfortunately (for those who care about pristine boxes). From all the reviews here, I was expecting a slightly larger and heavier box but its exactly the same size box and just as light - I guess the plane is packed tighter. Loved the paint finish - love the two tone black scheme and all the tempo printing. Unfortunately, I do have the two right hinge problem and suffer from floppy wings. I wasn't a fan of the design of this bird initially, and only decided to purchase this after seeing Swoosh's great photos and review, but seeing it and holding the plane in person is quite different than the pictures and its much better in 3D than I ever thought (definitely worth it - even with the minor wing problems). It seems quite solid in plane mode (with exception to the wings which I'll fix) but boy the transformation is really intimidating - this is not a kid's toy. I'm awaiting Graham's step by step transformation guide before attempting mine. Basically, it took an hour of my time just opening the toy and inspecting and playing with delight before I could force myself back to work. These new generation of transforming toys may be a little too complicated to be practical - they feel a little over engineered to be a toy - they are definitely something that are played with in a certain mode and displayed (they are beautiful, either as a design faithfully reproduced in 3D, or a miniaturized engineering marvel) occasionally transformed, but not a durable kid's toy (but that's not their market). The included display stand is definitely a bonus (it was actually the deal-breaker, I'm a sucker for displays) - simple but effective.

That's it for now... hope everyone will enjoy theirs as much as I will in the following weeks.

p.s. now anyone with an extra set of 1/72 Flanker stencil/data decals lying about?! hehe :rolleyes:

To my fellow Canadians, who may appreciate a timeline from HLJ to Toronto and pricing info. I ordered it on Aug 31 online (from HLJ, I know its not the cheapest, but its in the ballpark and if there are any replacement parts officially issued by Yamato for any acknowledged flaws, then its a lot easier to get them sent to me by HLJ if I bought from them in the first place.), received order confirmation Sep 02, received shipping confirmation Sep 09 (which they also charged my credit card then) and finally today, Sep 13 (four days after shipping) it arrived at my door! Total of 13 days from online click to arrive at my doorstep - pretty good I think!

Sheesh, I pre-ordered it months ago and still isn't here. According to EMS, it was on the plane from Sep 6th untill yesterday (Sep 12). Now it's waiting for clearance through customs which could take another week. <_<

Yes, I know I said earlier that it had shipped through SAL. Well that's what it said on my shipping notice, but I checked to be sure, and it seems it actually shipped through EMS afterall. HLJ just put got it wrong on the invoice.

Even after reading, and reading some more, and drooling over the size comp. pics everyone has done... i want to see Graham's review up and online before i buy one. (and i reeaaaaaally want to buy one). I know I should wait for the second release or the 'nora' but I've just got to have one of these! (i prefer the DD black scheme anyway)

Review up around the weekend you say Graham? cant wait.

Couldn't help myself!! Here's my display, I plan on putting my VF-0S out when I get one more 1/60...either the YF-21 or another SV-51 Dobber scheme hopefully!! :lol: I jsut love the Launch configuration. Took a little while to do yesterday, but I made all the mods....ca glue in the wing joints, and flipping the hinge. Now everything is VERY solid!! I'm suprised at how well that CA glue trick really works! Sorry for the poor pic quality, I just took them real quick!

post-265-1189712135_thumb.jpg

post-265-1189712152_thumb.jpg

post-265-1189712180_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dobber

2 Ducks - I dopnt know if id say more COMPLEX, but its certainly fiddlier. The whole part where you fold it up for battroid i always find a bit fiddly.

On the droopy wings: While watching Zero the otehr night, i noticed that the wings DO seem to droop slightly under the weight of the missles etc. Maybe I'm seeing things, but i noticed it in the 3rd (I think) episode when Nora and DD attack the carrier.

Did i type this already? Writing this out seems very familiar....LOrdy I'm tired...

On the droopy wings: While watching Zero the otehr night, i noticed that the wings DO seem to droop slightly under the weight of the missles etc. Maybe I'm seeing things, but i noticed it in the 3rd (I think) episode when Nora and DD attack the carrier.

Did i type this already? Writing this out seems very familiar....LOrdy I'm tired...

In real life, (if there was a real life version of the 51), I could see the wings drooping a little bit under all that weight, but only on a runway, not in flight with air passing over the wings.

On a runway the weight of an airplane is on the landing gear while the wings are being pulled down by gravity.

In flight the weight of an airplane is supported by the wings. The wings are there to lift the plane. They wouldn't droop, unless the airplane was stalling. If anything they would droop upwards.

I got mine yesterday, just in time to take it out the box before I left for poker. Today was the day of transforming and examining it for any defects. I'm happy to report that although the wings are a bit on the fragile side, Yamato took great care into making it as solid as can be. I've managed to transform this thing twice, and I have no stress marks visible. the transformation process is about as complex as I imagine these macross valkyries will ever get (barring the Koenig Monster). However, out of a scale of 1-10, I give it an 8.75. The design is awesome, and it handles decently in my hands. If there's a 2nd issue (reissue), I'll get one of those as well, as this one is great, the reissue will only be sweeter. The box isn't that big, but the toy is huge. I'm excited about this purchase. ;)

I have to say I can't stop looking at this Fighter. I'm not a big Zero fan, but man... I'm going to have to get this one just play with, because, it ROCKS! I'll have to get the O now. More money!

Dobber is that SV-51 wearing a paint scheme from an SU-27? looks awsome!

It sure is. showed pics of it back on page 68.....Oops....pictures didn't come with the quote. They are on page 68. ^_^

I also agree, that's why I built one of my Hasegawa's that way. Here are a few pic's of my lovely SV-51 I built a few years ago.

Chris

Even better is what Graham had to say!

I showed the pics of Dobber's Russian style SV-51 to Yamato and they love it, so there is a possibilty we might see a repaint toy in the future.

Graham

Hope that actually happens!!!

Chris

Edited by Dobber

If they do it, maybe they can include a sticker for the pilot's name as "Dobber", in tribute. That would be pretty cool.

Of course, knowing their engrish, they'll spell your name "Dovver", "Dobver", or "Dovber" :lol:

I third that, if it gets made, Dobber should get a free one. :)

LOL!! I forth and fifth that. Gimme one for free!!! That would be very VERY cool! (Graham?)......but, since we all know that Yamato won't do that :( . I'd love to have my name on it at least Christopher Dobinson call sign Dobber.

Wicked Ace, I'd love to help you out man, but, the toy is just too comlex for ME to risk taking apart and repainting it...at least with someonelses bird :p anyone got one they want to donate? :lol:

Chris

LOL!! I forth and fifth that. Gimme one for free!!! That would be very VERY cool! (Graham?)......but, since we all know that Yamato won't do that :( . I'd love to have my name on it at least Christopher Dobinson call sign Dobber.

Wicked Ace, I'd love to help you out man, but, the toy is just too comlex for ME to risk taking apart and repainting it...at least with someonelses bird :p anyone got one they want to donate? :lol:

Chris

you are right was thinking to put flanker camo

but it looks hard on the yamato

cause they have glued a lot of pieces on the bird

unless masking a lot it seems complex to repaint the puppy

^_^

SV-51 arrival!!!! Other than the wing hinge it is a great looking aircraft.

I was suprised that my wings did not droop with two rocket pods. I guess the booster and missles push it over the edge.

Want the Russian paint scheme and how about Israeli desert scheme.

Hey, that is a nice pieces of info for aviation novice like me. post-3608-1189813078.gif

In real life, (if there was a real life version of the 51), I could see the wings drooping a little bit under all that weight, but only on a runway, not in flight with air passing over the wings.

On a runway the weight of an airplane is on the landing gear while the wings are being pulled down by gravity.

In flight the weight of an airplane is supported by the wings. The wings are there to lift the plane. They wouldn't droop, unless the airplane was stalling. If anything they would droop upwards.

Got mine today.

A quick look over it (along with a single transformation) has it looking pretty good. Slight wing sag on the right side, but it can be managed. Left side looks good. The wing hinges also appear to be correct - that or they're both wrong in the same way. ;)

The only QC failure I've noticed so far was the the squares on the cover on the back of the left hand were not painted. The ones on the right were.

Fortunately a single coat of Gunze Sangyo Clear Red (H90) is a perfect match for what they used on the SV-51. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what they actually use (or more specifically, GS supplies the paint).

As far as the engineering goes, I continue to be even more and more impressed with each Yamato release.

I love it.

Edited by BinaryFalcon

Just got mine from HLJ and WoW this thing looks and feels amazing. This bird is a true work of art. So far I can't find any QC issues on mine. Apparently I have the correct wing hinges as both wings fold very nicely. However I wish the wings were a little more solid and less floppy,but this can be spared. ^_^ Everything is beautifully detailed and the engineering is simply amazing. My hat is off too you YAMATO.

Hehe I also got MP skywarp on the same day. B))

Wicked Ace, I'd love to help you out man, but, the toy is just too comlex for ME to risk taking apart and repainting it...at least with someonelses bird :p

Chris

Taking it apart can't be all that hard. Masking that splinter/flanker scheme is going to be the real nightmare.