Cameron selects an Avatar

In the sequel (hypothetical), humans return 10 years later with a fracking fleet and bomb the frack out of Pandora from orbit and an army of Mobile Suits.... fast forward 100 years later and the human colonists are fed up with the Terran Central Government, and then send a shipment of unobtanium straight into the gas giant. This pisses off Earth which sends troops to pacify the region, and BOOM, The Revolutionary Space War I begins. The colonists eventually win with the help of another alien race nicknamed "Teh SPACE FR4NCH." They now start the Republic of Pandora.

Meanwhile, 99% of the Navi have been wiped out by human diseases such as H1N1 and ED.

Sounds like a great plot for AVATAR II!!!!

:lol:

Dude - we went over this- you can't just walk into any theater with the glasses on - it has to be a 3D version of the movie also. The big tip off should have been that you where the only one wearing the glasses. Everyone in the theater where amazed at how weird you were, not at the movie.

And Happy Birthday.

I don't know if it was me or the glasses but I really couldn't see the 3D. I know everyone in the theatre was amazed but I'm going to see it in a different theatre just to check it out.
Edited by hirohawa

Don't worry guys, Avatar II will come out in 2019, and Avatar III in 2029. By then, everything is CG including the actors. Avatar III will be ground breaking in that once again casts real people for the film and uses puppets for animals and the Navi... the media will hail it as the most innovative thing in the history of acting and theater.

Saw it today and enjoyed it a lot.

Predictable, yes, there are a lot of plot holes, yes, but the images were beautiful and the characters were likeable.

The whole biological link up thing was a very cool visual metaphor to update the usual hippy plot.

If Cameron wanted to touch the moral/philosophical/psychological implications of growing artificial alien bodies in a sequel, he could score another winner.

Don't worry guys, Avatar II will come out in 2019, and Avatar III in 2029. By then, everything is CG including the actors. Avatar III will be ground breaking in that once again casts real people for the film and uses puppets for animals and the Navi... the media will hail it as the most innovative thing in the history of acting and theater.

Cameron actually said that the second movie shouldn't take like four years to make. A lot of the time consuming setup work they had to do for this movie (rigging the actors' models, etc) can be used for the next.

What do you get when you put Mechwarrior, The Lion king, The Abyss, Jurasic Park, Aliens and Last of the Mohicans in a blender? Give up? ......Avatar. I give it a 6 out of 10 only because of the visual effects, the story on its own is a 2 very weak. Now I hope Cameron goes and puts those amazing visuals in a movie I actually would want to see a second time.

saw the movie again and again

each time i just cant get away from the fact the navi are praire native tribes.

the countenance

the stance and postures

the yelps and the dress

if i was the hall monitor of MW i would cry racism

but i subscribe to the point of view promoted by the famous 5 comedians so people can say what they want they have the ability to mount a proper defence.

but even i find this movie rather insulting. it insinuates that natives be it on earth or out-worldly are retards??

a world hard drive is assumed to be lesser in thought process than the common collective computing power of mans computers.

lots of loopholes. if gaia in this case was able to tap into the thoughts of animals and mount a defence why did it take 7 years to do so then all of a sudden it needs to react to the threat in the last hour. pandora was in a sense a large living brain with all inhabitants able to connect and retrieve or reposit data???? even humans are able to connect which we see it can read graces thoughts and make a connection. it can too transfer thought patterns and memories into another host. something that in the movie tried promote only humans had that kind of technology. this is where the story should have gone. not dances with 4 legged hounds with thundercats.

i cant believe that so many people are saying this was good movie. yes it was entertaining but a movie a combination of story and visual effecst or visualization is good when it have all of the components necessary to make it a good film. a book needs to have a good story who cares about pictures but we need to reminds ourselves the purpose a screen story is to tie the viewer to the character not the background. otherwise sit down and watch the blue planet or national geographics series on the universe

i have seen many great films and for my age i still prefer the old black and white films, because it relied less on the ooohhh ahhhhh of the background noise and centered on the acting. yes the excuse is its a scifi movie but i believe a good scifi movie is possible. one of my all time favorites in the scifi category was blade runner and the encounters of the third kind. even et.

here it was very annoying to watch the navi reduced to a north american native cliche. even the animals mimicked the look, sound and feel of earths. i remember watching the discovery special on alien life. it was very interesting to see what kind of life would develop in different environments. anyway

this is NOT a good movie

Just because there are spaceships doesn't mean this should be seen as a science fiction movie. Its technological and social science is about as plausible as Return of the Jedi, i.e. not, if a bit more imaginative. But not a good movie? How do you define 'good', if not 'entertaining'? In my book something is good if it fulfils its purpose. In the case of a movie, that purpose is entertainment, pure and simple - everything else is subliminal. The purpose of Avatar is not to raise environmental awareness or to extrapolate a feasible alien ecology based on our sample of one - those things are served* by climate conferences and think tanks.

I can't believe how much over-analysis this film has sparked on the various SF-related forums I visit. Repeat after me: "It's a bit of fun" :lol:

*Using the term 'served' in its loosest possible sense. :p

"Avatar," the 3-D epic, topped them all, earning $75 million for 20th Century Fox, according to studio estimates Sunday. Remarkably, that was only a 3 percent drop from its opening weekend total of $77.4 million. (Blockbusters typically drop 30-50 percent in the second weekend.) In its 10 days of release, "Avatar" has made $212 million domestically — and could be on its way to a worldwide gross of over $1 billion.

Not bad for a movie that this site dislikes...

saw the movie again and again

each time i just cant get away from the fact the navi are praire native tribes.

the countenance

the stance and postures

the yelps and the dress

if i was the hall monitor of MW i would cry racism

but i subscribe to the point of view promoted by the famous 5 comedians so people can say what they want they have the ability to mount a proper defence.

but even i find this movie rather insulting. it insinuates that natives be it on earth or out-worldly are retards??

a world hard drive is assumed to be lesser in thought process than the common collective computing power of mans computers.

lots of loopholes. if gaia in this case was able to tap into the thoughts of animals and mount a defence why did it take 7 years to do so then all of a sudden it needs to react to the threat in the last hour. pandora was in a sense a large living brain with all inhabitants able to connect and retrieve or reposit data???? even humans are able to connect which we see it can read graces thoughts and make a connection. it can too transfer thought patterns and memories into another host. something that in the movie tried promote only humans had that kind of technology. this is where the story should have gone. not dances with 4 legged hounds with thundercats.

i cant believe that so many people are saying this was good movie. yes it was entertaining but a movie a combination of story and visual effecst or visualization is good when it have all of the components necessary to make it a good film. a book needs to have a good story who cares about pictures but we need to reminds ourselves the purpose a screen story is to tie the viewer to the character not the background. otherwise sit down and watch the blue planet or national geographics series on the universe

i have seen many great films and for my age i still prefer the old black and white films, because it relied less on the ooohhh ahhhhh of the background noise and centered on the acting. yes the excuse is its a scifi movie but i believe a good scifi movie is possible. one of my all time favorites in the scifi category was blade runner and the encounters of the third kind. even et.

here it was very annoying to watch the navi reduced to a north american native cliche. even the animals mimicked the look, sound and feel of earths. i remember watching the discovery special on alien life. it was very interesting to see what kind of life would develop in different environments. anyway

this is NOT a good movie

You seem to missing something... 90% of the viewers who watched it admited a 3 year old could follow the plot. How it was marketed wasn't BEST PLOT EVERZ it was something along the line of James Cameron spent forever making some new technology to redifine cinema and HE DID. It may be the same rehashed plot from 100 other movies but even Cameron said it was *link below is him saying so.*

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomple...imcrackery.html

Also weren't you the one who a few weeks ago was so hardcore about NEVER supporting this movie and now your here saying you've watched it " saw the movie again and again

each time i just cant get away from the fact the navi are praire native tribes."

lol

Just not sure why people ...the few and far... expected a space epic from like the link above said Dances with Wolves in space. I mean even South Park did a episode about it months ago :lol:

It seems this board tends to hate nearly everything especially movies. And will try to make you see WHY you shouldn't like something. Pointing out the similarities between Avatar and the plot of films before it, does not make you clever or smart either. People liked this film, and it did well. Even the "can't they come up with anything new?" crap is old; whenever Hollywood and TV and the game industry try something new, it isn't embraced.

Dances with Wolves? Sure...how many people born after that film will see Dances with Wolves? Not many. There is a market for it. Whether you're a part of that market is moot. If you aren't, why waste your time?

That is what I don't get. I don't like toys...I don't go into the toy thread saying how stupid it is to be spending money on plastic spaceships and stuff. It's a hobby for some, and you should be allowed to enjoy it. Some people like different music, different books, different cars, watches, games. It's ok to discuss why you didn't, but people seem to take to the extreme nowadays, and are so proud to tell the board on how bad something people like is. It's like you're Debbie Downer or something.

Hey, some people juggle geese.

Edit: fixed weirdo sentence. Thanks Shirokaze

Edited by Gaijin

"not born after"? You mean "born after" right?

[rambling, old man mode]

I had fun memories of Dances with Wolves back then. In 1993, I remember going to a local McDonalds late one evening with my mom and dad. At the time, McDonalds were actually selling movies along with their happy meals then. My dad actually bought the darn movie to my surprise. A few weeks later and like all dads, he wasn't quite happy with me watching cartoons on the old tube all day long everyday. So he tried to make me watch Dances with Wolves instead, and we went back and forth because I didn't want to watch it at all. Then I gave in and watched no more than 20 minutes of it before going off to do something else or some sort... I was only seven at the time. :rolleyes:

Fast-forward to this year, and all this talk about Avatar, and how it's Dances with Wolves in Space, made me dig out the old VHS from one of the boxes in the garage (my Special Edition Star Wars Trilogy VHS set is still missing :(), popped it into the VCR during lunch, then for dinner, and finally finished it after dinner the next day. My little brother watched it and liked it :p.

Good movie. God, I feel old.

[/rambling]

Edited by shiroikaze

It was a fun movie. While it was VERY predictable, I enjoyed the spectacle. I was a bit annoyed at the evil, white bad guy and the whole "military is bad, so are businessmen" angle. I suppose they were mercenaries, but it was pretty clear what they represented with the whole "shock and awe" comment as well as several others. . .

It truly was a visual feast in 3D, it also had much more heart than most action/sci-fi movies this year (I can't think of one with more). I will CONSIDER buying this on bluray.

judging by the comments i should support every movie ever made by hollywood and their bloated salaries and see anything that comes out. I did say it was enjoyable for entertainments sake as much as some tv specials but i also didnt come out and declare this is the greatest scifi movie ever made as did the maker of the movie. I am sure he will get the oscar anyway which i dont think he deserves. As for supporting the film i hardly did that which afforded me the luxary to see it many times. Friends have had the same mediocre response post viewing which was "meh it was ok" to that was stupid which came mostly from the girls

its just sad to see that it takes little to impress people these days which means more of the same

as for plastic addictions yeah its pretty stupid but we are allowed some vices and i guess seeing nonesense movies is one of them

Edited by nugundamII

You don't have to support anything. And judging from your post, you steal it anyways. Never met people who steal things they don't like...gotta admit that one's new.

Why did you see it many times again?

Edited by Gaijin

You don't have to support anything. And judging from your post, you steal it anyways. Never met people who steal things they don't like...gotta admit that one's new.

Why did you see it many times?

i wanted to confirm a scene in the movie that one of the natives was humping a tree when the hero walks through the native camp

and yes the navi was humping a tree

who said anything of stealing thats debatable

Edited by nugundamII

i wanted to confirm a scene in the movie that one of the natives was humping a tree when the hero walks through the native camp

Did you pay for it? Theft is theft. But that's your own problem.

I'm so glad I didn't read this thread before I went to see the movie. I just came back from watching it the second time. I liked the movie, what can I say? There was an aweful lot of hating in this thread, pretty much right from the beginning, and I probably would have believed all the negative hype and not gone to see the movie. For once, I'm glad I didn't jump on the hate-wagon and follow the rest of the lemmings. Hating GI Joe and Bayformers is one thing, But James Cameron? C'mon, he's never disappointed.

I'm going to see it again. I dunno about you haters, but both times I've gone to see it, the theatres were sold out. It was sold out on Christmas for *uck's sakes, sold out right to the last showing, and there was always an applaud at the end of both the showings that I attended, something I've seldom seen. It was a good movie, haters go cry about it.

I didn't hate the movie, it just has a very weak plot. Over all it was worth the price of admission once due to the over all vision of the story. I'd be happy to sit through it a second time for free with the freedom to get up as I choose in the future at a friends house when it comes on DVD. Still I wouldn't spend any of my own money at this point to see it again. None of what I just said would ever apply to Revenge of the Fallen no matter how good the visual were, that was just pure trash.

I think the general, and I mean general as in average, not specific people on this thread has either been that they enjoyed the movie a lot or enjoyed it enough the one time they saw it. A few complaints but never anyone that truly hated it. It's funny that the one member here that truly hated it never really gave it a chance to see it in the environment that it's meant to be seen in or put in the the time to watch it properly. It's just a downloaded file that can be walked away from, but obsessed enough with the film that they probably have the most posts on this thread. lol.

Can we see a screen cap of this scene? As I assume you didn't see it in theatres repeatedly. Also will James Cameron win a oscar? Its likely for best visuals, best picture I doubt though.

Also I don't think anyone here is flaming you for not liking the film its quite the opposite nearly everyone thats commented on the movie has said the same thing Decent plot amazing visuals and they were entertained and you seem to be taking this as an attack on your opinion. :p