Cameron selects an Avatar

I try not to be a movie snob...but I guess the older I get, the more I find I am. poo blowing up just isn't good enough. I don't care how much poo, and how much it blows up. I want a good movie.

I suddently have the mental image of a movie just about shit blowing up. As in actual fecal matter being exploded. Just clips of people throwing hand grenades into port-o-potties and shooting RPGs at sewage trucks.

Edited by anime52k8

Just got home from seeing it in 3D, At first I got the feeling of a Pocahontas-story with Nightelves from Warcraft lol,and it is alil,but hell its done well and Ive always loved the pocahontas type story.

The land and effects are outstanding! a definate visual feast,and the battle is awesome. Im giving it 4.5/5.

The 3D trailers before Avatar started made more use of the 3D than Cameron did!!

I read somewhere that he didn,t want an "in ya face" every 5mins 3D effect,which I get,but half way thru the movie I asked myself "am I just overexposed to the 3D content of the movie..or is there just not much happening 3D wise", so for the remaining of the movie I focussed on what was happening with 3D...sure there was visual depth..etc ,but to my eye,s anyway it just all seemed contained within the screen infront of me.I in no-way felt "surrounded" by Camerons world or that things were an inch from my face!There where also screenings without 3D,I,d like to say I,d be interested in seeing it again without 3D(which I don,t think there,d be "night & day" difference),but I think I,ve had enough!!

I,m sure it,ll make alot of money,maybe it,s all the hype that has ruined it for me,but I wait for a director to exploit 3D to it,s full potential.As for the story...whatever.

I suddently have the mental image of a movie just about shit blowing up. As in actual fecal matter being exploded. Just clips of people throwing hand grenades into port-o-potties and shooting RPG and sewage trucks.

Nice idea. Call it "Blowing Sh_t up, a deconstruction of the block buster mythos". Use some fancy camera work, have Sean Penn read poetry while the faeces explode and it's award winning material.

As for avatar going to see it on sunday, hoping for the best.

Edited by Bri

I suddently have the mental image of a movie just about shit blowing up. As in actual fecal matter being exploded. Just clips of people throwing hand grenades into port-o-potties and shooting RPG and sewage trucks.

Someone call Michael Bay, this would be right up his alley!

I'm very cynical about Avatar, but only because I get cynical and skeptical of every movie that is advertised in such a way. Any time some blowhard voiceover tells me a movie "WILL CHANGE HOW MOVIES ARE MADE FOREVER" or something along those lines, it's an instant turn-off.

However, I still plan on watching this film with as open a mind as possible. I have no reason to dislike James Cameron (I can even enjoy Titanic, although it's not a favorite) but I also have no reason to venerate him and hold hip up as some sort of movie-making god. I certainly wont be going with the intention of being wowed by special effects because I find that lately gratuitous special effects just put me to sleep - literally ( I actually fell asleep briefly during a big battle in ROTF).

I just wonder how long before a Thundercats movie goes into production based on the success of this film and it's kitty people.

BIG HOLLYWOOD EXECUTIVE: "People like cat people now so get that Thundercats film made! And start filming a movie version of Cats while you're at it! There's no time to lose!!"

Edited by eriku

It's unfortunate that due to injury I can't use any sort of 3D movie technology, but in this case it's totally not wasted. I have utterly zero interest in watching this movie, least of all by paying theater-sized prices for it.

That being said, is it as preachy and in-your-face about our own history as I fear?

Going to see this film this evening, most of the reviews I've seen thus far have been "generally positive". (I'm actually more interested in any cool trailers they might slip in on account of avatar being what it is)

Edited by Ghost Train

It's unfortunate that due to injury I can't use any sort of 3D movie technology, but in this case it's totally not wasted. I have utterly zero interest in watching this movie, least of all by paying theater-sized prices for it.

That being said, is it as preachy and in-your-face about our own history as I fear?

I have no interest in this movie either. So much so that I keep posting on this thread. But I'm hoping it holds up to my expectations of wide disappointment and general failure. Even though I don't care at all for the flick.

Can anyone that has seen the movie please confirm to me how bad it is? So I can be happy in my prediction and gloat in everyone's awe of how right I am?

Well I saw this film last night our local Cinema had it in both 3D and 2D we went to the 3D showing as we had never seen a propper 3D film those blue and green glasses things on T.v dont count.

The theater was rammed and we got great seats in the middle. As has been said here one of the trailers made really good use of the 3D with stuff flying past you from behind. There were lots of ohhs and ahhs and people even reached up to grab stuff. :)

The 3D use was on the whole not ott. A few scenes were really 3D and you followed the story as if you were in it.

The CGI was great and felt real most of the time. The panoramics were great, think those slow fly bys used in wildlife stuff when going over the rain forests, only with bigger trees.

The story is basically the conquest of America and the Native Americans, how the Europeans and Americans just moved the locals out if the needed the land and resources etc.

The Tech (except the Avatar machines) was not overly techy and plausable. There are no ray guns and everything has a more grounded feel al-la new BSG.

The mecha are basically Aliens Powerlifters with sealed cockpits that carry guns.

Overall I really liked it and would happily see it again.

Bows and arrows do work when the arrows are 4 foot long :)

Blue cat people are cool, how would you empathise with them if they didnt look vaguely humanoid.

The 1980's Tripods were made with chichen wire and bubble wrap by the BBC on a budget that wouldnt buy tea an coffee for the crew nowadays. You never had to really empathise with them because they frelled up their own planet and wanted ours.

You kinda get the feel that sometime in the future Mankind will be doing something like this when it finds resources and life on other worlds. As in Independance Day only we will be the Aliens conquring the world.

Now I have seen it in 3D how am I gonna ever cope with it in Bluray HD when it comes out.

Our local theater is upgrading 4 more screens to cope with 3D as aparenlty 20 films are comming out with 3D options in the next year.

Now wheres my 3D screen for home use?? I can imagine watich the news in 3D.

Edited by big F

So I just heard that the mineral the humans want to take from Pandora is called "Unobtainium". I laughed because I thought the person was joking....but then I read a review that also mentioned this word. Why not just call it "Space Gold" or "Ultradiamondoniumanium Alloy"? That wouldn't be any less dumb. I'm not trying to find reasons to hate on the film, but "Unobtainium"? Really?

Someone call Michael Bay, this would be right up his alley!

I'm very cynical about Avatar, but only because I get cynical and skeptical of every movie that is advertised in such a way. Any time some blowhard voiceover tells me a movie "WILL CHANGE HOW MOVIES ARE MADE FOREVER" or something along those lines, it's an instant turn-off.

However, I still plan on watching this film with as open a mind as possible. I have no reason to dislike James Cameron (I can even enjoy Titanic, although it's not a favorite) but I also have no reason to venerate him and hold hip up as some sort of movie-making god. I certainly wont be going with the intention of being wowed by special effects because I find that lately gratuitous special effects just put me to sleep - literally ( I actually fell asleep briefly during a big battle in ROTF).

I just wonder how long before a Thundercats movie goes into production based on the success of this film and it's kitty people.

BIG HOLLYWOOD EXECUTIVE: "People like cat people now so get that Thundercats film made! And start filming a movie version of Cats while you're at it! There's no time to lose!!"

This

and some furry Pussies on screen would be the BOMB :lol: :lol: :lol:

So I just heard that the mineral the humans want to take from Pandora is called "Unobtainium". I laughed because I thought the person was joking....but then I read a review that also mentioned this word. Why not just call it "Space Gold" or "Ultradiamondoniumanium Alloy"? That wouldn't be any less dumb. I'm not trying to find reasons to hate on the film, but "Unobtainium"? Really?

It's not even an original lame ass made up element. They used it to build the machine in The Core lol.

Yeah, honestly, I have no idea how you could seriously get 'Unobtanium' into a film... at that point I can only assume noone has read the script during the entire production process. I want to be able like this movie, but everything about the actual writing of the movie sounds tremendously stupid and unappealing. In the one trailer, there wasn't an original or cliche-free piece of dialog in the whole stupid thing.

Edited by promethuem5

This movie was ok all the way up until the middle, where the plot essentially becomes one big generic "TH3Y C4N N3V3R T4k3 0UR FREEEEDOOOOOOOOOOOM!"

The final battle was cool though.

Overall it wasn't a bad flick, but far from being the best sci-fi movie of the year. I think Star Trek or District 13 clenched it this year.

This movie was ok all the way up until the middle, where the plot essentially becomes one big generic "TH3Y C4N N3V3R T4k3 0UR FREEEEDOOOOOOOOOOOM!"

Overall it wasn't a bad flick, but far from being the best sci-fi movie of the year. I think Star Trek or District 13 clenched it this year.

So do you think cameron is patting himself on the back for the greatest movie ever made

Kinda of reminds me of the movie THE MASK with the oscar scene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zHID-Pa20E

To be fair, who the hell expected Star Trek to be anywhere near as awesome as it turned out?

Worth every penny. Still not sure what most of you guys expect form movies when you watch them.

Loving the -*stamps foot* NO WONT SEE IT NO WAY NO HOW- a lot of you guys still do for every single new movie on the horizon without ever giving things the time of day.

What movies do you watch and actually enjoy? -_-

Worth every penny. Still not sure what most of you guys expect form movies when you watch them.

Loving the -*stamps foot* NO WONT SEE IT NO WAY NO HOW- a lot of you guys still do for every single new movie on the horizon without ever giving things the time of day.

What movies do you watch and actually enjoy? -_-

Saw it and Loved it

Star Trek

District 9

The Hurt Locker

Watchman

Coraline

Ice Age 3

UP

Saw it so so

Law Abiding Citizen

Terminator

Monster vs Aliens

Taken

Just a complete waste of time "should have known better"

Inglorious Basterds

Wolverine

Transformers 2

Any movies made before 1987 are enjoyable, anything after is a load of crap(well there are a few exceptions). I don't care about fancy visuals and new gimmicky technology, just give me a creative story with good actors.

Edited by dizman

Any movies made before 1987 are enjoyable, anything after is a load of crap(well there are a few exceptions). I don't care about fancy visuals and new gimmicky technology, just give me a creative story with good actors.

I agree more lately story telling has taken a really far back seat in place of visuals in most films, and in some cases not so. To be fair Avatar has its bad points but you see it for the visuals and the story comes second although it is a good story.

Unobtainum is a HollyWood in joke sadly they used it here could have just made up a vaugely radioactive sounding substance like costalotatonium. Admantium or how ever its spelt was used in Lost in Space amoung others, eventhough we all know its from Xmen.

There are talks of this being part of a bigger story with more to come not sure if it is gonna be directly related or just from the same universe.

NugundamII

I agree with you your choice of the last 12 months of films are good

Star Trek saw it opening night

District 9 oh yeah

The Hurt Locker not seen it yet but all my friends loved it

Watchman oh yeah

Coraline whats not to dislike

Ice Age 3 all good

UP see Hurt locker

Saw it so so

Law Abiding Citizen not seen it yet

Terminator they dropped the ball a bit on this one

Monster vs Aliens Its got aliens and monsters and its a cartoon

Taken not seen it yet

Inglorious Basterds MEH!!

Wolverine could have been so much more

Transformers 2 knew what I was getting into here. Its more for the visuals and big robots knocking poo outta each other

but Id like to add to your list of Just a complete waste of time "should have known better"

Burn After Reading what a load of crap, I want my hour and a half back.

I agree the trailers dont really do it justice by a long way. In the same way as you see some trailers and you know they just used all the good bits and the film will be meh!!

Avatar just uses a couple of good bits and the rest are meh!! its the visuals that do it justice.

Edited by big F

Saw it and Loved it

Star Trek

District 9

The Hurt Locker

Watchman

Coraline

Ice Age 3

UP

Saw it so so

Law Abiding Citizen

Terminator

Monster vs Aliens

Taken

Inglorious Basterds

Wolverine

Transformers 2

NugundamII

I agree with you your choice of the last 12 months of films are good

Star Trek saw it opening night

District 9 oh yeah

The Hurt Locker not seen it yet but all my friends loved it

Watchman oh yeah

Coraline whats not to dislike

Ice Age 3 all good

UP see Hurt locker

Saw it so so

Law Abiding Citizen not seen it yet

Terminator they dropped the ball a bit on this one

Monster vs Aliens Its got aliens and monsters and its a cartoon

Taken not seen it yet

Inglorious Basterds MEH!!

Wolverine could have been so much more

Transformers 2 knew what I was getting into here. Its more for the visuals and big robots knocking poo outta each other

but Id like to add to your list of Just a complete waste of time "should have known better"

Burn After Reading what a load of crap, I want my hour and a half back.

I agree the trailers dont really do it justice by a long way. In the same way as you see some trailers and you know they just used all the good bits and the film will be meh!!

Avatar just uses a couple of good bits and the rest are meh!! its the visuals that do it justice.

I don't think this is the thread for this.

Just saw it in the morning with 3D.

It is not a bad movie, I enjoy it, but it is too long and story can get a little boring in the middle.

Creating a complete new (Alien) culture is not a easy task. It is the reason why it is not a great movie.

I still don't like the Mech design. While most of the CG is very good, some place/scene in world are too colorful, it break the reality...

It is simply "Dance With Wolves plus Aliens in 3D made by Disney!"

Edited by macrossnake

I loved Inglorious Basterds & District 9. Thought everything else this year ranged from average (Star Trek), to crap (Terminator Salvation). Still waiting for some friends reviews before I decide whether to see Avatar. I'm definitely not a fan of the Na'vi or mecha designs, or of CG heavy movies in general.

I took my dad and mum to a 3D screening this afternoon. The new 3D goggles were pretty comfy as long as you weren't wearing big glasses as well. Overall, nicely done even if the story was predictable. The local cineplex was OK but IMAX would be the most immersive experience. Interestingly, the movie previews were also in 3D: Shrek Final Chapter, Alice in Wonderland (Tim Burton), and I have to say I found THOSE two a little jarring in the use of 3D compared to Cameron's considered approach for Avatar. It may be hyped to the max but it's still at least a 7/10 cinematic experience.

Saw it today, the 3D was well done and not too invasive. For the first time I felt really immersed in a mostly CGI movie, much better in that respect then the Star Wars sequels. Avatar is definitely a mile stone in movie technology in the way Terminator 2 and Jarrasic Park once were.

Mecha and action was excellent. Was a bit afraid of savages beating high tech army with bows and arrows. That was fortunately not the case. The Navi are basically dino-riders who can uplink to their biolological mecha through some natural fiberglass like umbilical cords and drive/fly by thought. The space marines are pretty cool and the colonel (Stephen Lang) is badass. Well until the final bit where he throws propper strategy out of the window. Just so he can take attack Skynets main uplink to the planetary defense system in a zone with Minovsky particles. If Terminator and Gundam haven't tought us anything...

As for the story, disabled ex-marine with poor health insurance joins future Shell to relocate some blue natives from their ore rich grounds. The ex-marine doesn't agree with company policy and since he is just an employee and not fighting for a country it's ok to switch sides.

Not to mention that the Navi offer him better job benefits: A new body, on the job-education, some pussy, better rides (flying T-rex equals cool), a jungle resort and they have some imba internet. His consience and market economics do the rest.

The romance is annoying and somewhat shallow but there is enough other things to see to keep you occupied.

As for the rest, Signoury Weaver owns every scene she plays in and the Alien tribute is cool. Also loved the opening space ship scenes.

Edited by Bri