Cameron selects an Avatar

It looks a little better(by adjust the satruation) and interesting, than the first trailer.

But the alien still looks like Thunder Cat to me. :lol:

Yea, the first trailer was just a teaser, but they could have done so much better.

[...]

Even if you don't like some of the creature designs. I think after you see the film, you will feel different.

What bugs me, personnally, is the main point of the plot: the handicapped soldier accepts the mission because he'll get a new body which will allow him to walk again; it's for the less surprising to see that, in this future, technology allows mankind to journey between the stars but can't heal a simple man of such wounds, all the more as real medicine is always closer of a solution on this point while space travel remains rudimentary if not frankly primitive...

But, yes, this movie looks entertaining. And well done. It at least has these qualities...

I think more of Ferngully when I see this (trees, colors, yellow omega-bulldozer...).

Yep, second trailer makes me want to see the movie.

It also practically tells you everything that happens in it down to what sides all the charaters take in the conflict. Simple story but visuals look like they are worth the movie ticked. And 3D, so I'm in.

meh

Still looks fake

I dont like the plot either

Needing resources to continue a war on earth and going a great distance to keep fueling it rather than migrating away from it is pointless. And such an endeavor would need to incorporate all nations. Whatever, as usual hollywood is going way of the dodo in my opinion. I just cant get myself to theaters lately

Im reminded of when watching Robots with my Daughter how copperbottom had a volume control switch on his baby to control the crying. I wish i had a dial like that so i can go from intelligent to stupid when watching trash like this

I wish i had a dial like that so i can go from intelligent to stupid when watching trash like this

No capacity to enjoy mindless entertainment once in a while? You are missing out.

Taksraven

meh

Still looks fake

I dont like the plot either

Needing resources to continue a war on earth and going a great distance to keep fueling it rather than migrating away from it is pointless. And such an endeavor would need to incorporate all nations. Whatever, as usual hollywood is going way of the dodo in my opinion. I just cant get myself to theaters lately.

Then you should try reading some books. History books. History books on expansionist and colonial wars because fighting wars over far off resources is a pretty common reason for fighting wars. See, it's rather simple, as populations and standards of living grow, they out strip the resources native to their particular geographic area. They then spread out and colonize other areas, fight wars with the natives for those resources and often fight wars with their neighbors to control the trade routes to those resources.

Edited by eugimon

The you should try reading some books. History books. History books on expansionist and colonial wars because fighting wars over far off resources is a pretty common reason for fighting wars. See, it's rather simple, as populations and standards of living grow, they out strip the resources native to their particular geographic area. They then spread out and colonize other areas, fight wars with the natives for those resources and often fight wars with their neighbors to control the trade routes to those resources.

As a history teacher I guess that I probably should have said that.

Taksraven

meh

Still looks fake

lol,fake? its a movie,of course its fake.

I think it looks quite good,sure the story isnt entirely original,but it looks very entertaining and the digital effects are quite well done, it warrents a watch regardless.

I just hope the plot will be more than HUMANS BAD, ALIENS GOOD, like the trailer makes it out to be. At least Terra had a few nods to the gray moral conflict, with both sides equally as stubborn.

The main character is human, "pretending" to be alien. So, no, in your terms, it's not "human bad, aliens good."

The main plot focus on a small group of humans trying to find a diplomatic solution to negotiating with the natives on Pandora. Yes, some of the humans are "bad." But there are a lot of "good" humans too.

The best analogy I can think of is 1986's "Aliens." Yes, in your terms, that movie was "Aliens bad, humans good." But the true antagonist was the Weyland-Yutani Corporation. That theme is more predominant in Avatar. Ultimately, It's about doing the right thing when no one else will.

"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards of men." - Ellen Wilcox.

The main character is human, "pretending" to be alien. So, no, in your terms, it's not "human bad, aliens good."

The main plot focus on a small group of humans trying to find a diplomatic solution to negotiating with the natives on Pandora. Yes, some of the humans are "bad." But there are a lot of "good" humans too.

The best analogy I can think of is 1986's "Aliens." Yes, in your terms, that movie was "Aliens bad, humans good." But the true antagonist was the Weyland-Yutani Corporation. That theme is more predominant in Avatar. Ultimately, It's about doing the right thing when no one else will.

"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards of men." - Ellen Wilcox.

The main focus of aliens is "THAT'S IT, GAME OVER MAN! GAME OVER!" The whole Wayland-Yutani angle is really secondary to the main point of people trying to survive being in a situation where they're totally boned. And even then, the corporation side of things is more "big business doesn't give a crap about your well being."

From everything that's been shown so far, avatar is a trite little "Nature good, technology EVIL" story, ironically wrapped in a massive, technology fueled package. Until proven otherwise this movie is still recycled crap about how science and progress are bad and we all need to get back to nature, because you know, things were so great back when every time you crapped, you had to wipe your ass with a leaf.

i FIND IT FUNNY how many people here make assumptions

again here it is I dont know history hahahaha

wow

Ok History aside. Travelling Light years to get a resource to fuel a war is POINTLESS....I like the concept of Serenity, Gundam where people move away from earth cause it no longer can sustain numbers. Even the remake of Lost in Space. "Recycling technologies came a little to late. We need to find a hospitable planet to colonize." In this movie it doesnt seem humans can travel to light year distance planets on a whim like in star wars. So economically, politically it doesnt make sense to do this. Move vast amounts of military hardware, Fuel, personal and the equipment to sustain it. this isnt a 16 hour flight. And we can see what affect of fueling an economy over resources has. Its breaking america to the point of no return. So you really think it makes sense to travel to another planet outside our own solar system with a huge military industrial complex and assume it wont drain the national economy of said country. Such an endeavor would also need cooperation from other nations so who the fuc are they fighting. IRAQ, CHINA

Seriously at least make a little plausible

Second.

By fake i mean the Special Affects look BAD. Why not make it into final fantasy

Edited by nugundamII

Well we only have got trailers to go on,so until the movie comes out to give a full explanation on whats going on we just speculate and wait. And come on,man, The effects look great, I dont know what insanely high expectations you have here. All im saying here is give it a chance,I dont know why people have such hate for it,dont judge from a trailer like you dont judge a book from its cover. Also,I dont know why people are dragging real world history into this film,Watch it and have fun.

Edited by Vepariga

and yeah it was good. But so was empire strikes back but that was because Lucas didnt write it and now we have jar jar

oh wow. You followed up agreement with something that didnt have anyhing to do with anything. You must be RIGHT! So whats your purpose anyway? Convince people NOT to see it? Or hope that the movie is bad so you can post how you were such a prophet? :rolleyes:

I caught the trailer last night. I tried to think where I seen that Mech before.

Low and behold I remembered!

exo_big_maggie_crop.jpg

I'll see it when it comes out in mid December. Makes me hope for a live action Exo-Squad film sans the J.T. Marsh fade :rolleyes:.

i FIND IT FUNNY how many people here make assumptions

again here it is I dont know history hahahaha

wow

Ok History aside. Travelling Light years to get a resource to fuel a war is POINTLESS....I like the concept of Serenity, Gundam where people move away from earth cause it no longer can sustain numbers. Even the remake of Lost in Space. "Recycling technologies came a little to late. We need to find a hospitable planet to colonize." In this movie it doesnt seem humans can travel to light year distance planets on a whim like in star wars. So economically, politically it doesnt make sense to do this. Move vast amounts of military hardware, Fuel, personal and the equipment to sustain it. this isnt a 16 hour flight. And we can see what affect of fueling an economy over resources has. Its breaking america to the point of no return. So you really think it makes sense to travel to another planet outside our own solar system with a huge military industrial complex and assume it wont drain the national economy of said country. Such an endeavor would also need cooperation from other nations so who the fuc are they fighting. IRAQ, CHINA

Seriously at least make a little plausible

Second.

By fake i mean the Special Affects look BAD. Why not make it into final fantasy

seriously, you know back when people walked everywhere, it would take YEARS for people to plan wars, and then walk their armies thousands of miles so they could fight? And then, later, they would ride horses and sail ships for MONTHS so they could go and fight? You do know that concern for the participant's comfort and convenience has never been a big consideration when it comes to waging war?

So, if humans have been willing to fight a war where everyone either walked for months or years to go fight wars, wars that lasted for decades or more... why are you so hung up on the idea that a space faring civilization wouldn't go fight wars on some podunk jungle planet somewhere else?

seriously, you know back when people walked everywhere, it would take YEARS for people to plan wars, and then walk their armies thousands of miles so they could fight? And then, later, they would ride horses and sail ships for MONTHS so they could go and fight? You do know that concern for the participant's comfort and convenience has never been a big consideration when it comes to waging war?

So, if humans have been willing to fight a war where everyone either walked for months or years to go fight wars, wars that lasted for decades or more... why are you so hung up on the idea that a space faring civilization wouldn't go fight wars on some podunk jungle planet somewhere else?

Again attention to detail is everything

I never said that

I said going to a far off galaxy with travel is LIGHT YEARS not going through star gate like wormholes and BRINGING THE STUFF BACK

It would make sense to battle for territory and colonizing but not bringing gasoline back !

Reminds me of the Tar Pits in Alberta syndrome

It takes more energy to extract oil from sand

But here I go being all logical again

Sorry

I never said that

I said going to a far off galaxy with travel is LIGHT YEARS not going through star gate like wormholes and BRINGING THE STUFF BACK

It would make sense to battle for territory and colonizing but not bringing gasoline back !

Sorry

LOL. YOU're preaching about stuff that can't be done yet. About a movie that haven't been released. You're the ultimate cry baby nerd.

Tell you what, why don't you take your so called logic, write your boring logic filled book and see if you can make as much money as a movie written by Cameron. :rolleyes: if you can even get passed the writing process.

I never said that

Sorry

What's logical about making assumptions about the rate of interstellar travel of a movie you haven't seen, based on two trailers, neither of which even talk about how they're getting to this new planet?

About as logical as throwing a tantrum, throwing a toy against the wall and then blaming the toy for making you do it? Maybe, a little less? :rolleyes:

Just for reference, when Xerxes (which wasn't even his own idea, just picking up for dear old dad who died before he could get going) invaded Greece, it took a year of marching, on land, by foot for them to reach Greece. The various crusades took place over 200 years, people walking and riding little boats to go fight for trade routes so the people on top could eat spices, like pepper. Then there was the 100 years war, which, while they didn't travel very far, they did stand around and fight for several generations.

So, we have real world examples of people fighting wars that took place over generations, took months or years to get to go and fight, over ridiculously small and inconsequential things like spice and incense.

But hey, you go on with your brand of "logic" where you make up stuff, ignore stuff, throw things against the wall and go on and on about how great you are. good luck with that.

Saw the new trailer... and it looks interesting... although i thought they revealed way too much of the plot. Can't be sure whether i'll see it in theaters, have to wait for the reviews to come back.

oh wow. You followed up agreement with something that didnt have anyhing to do with anything. You must be RIGHT! So whats your purpose anyway? Convince people NOT to see it? Or hope that the movie is bad so you can post how you were such a prophet? :rolleyes:

Keep rolling those eyes until they get stuck to the back of your HEAD

I am not trying to convince anyone to see or not to see it. The thread is about the upcoming movie. Trailers are meant to give us a screening about the movie.

From it I dont like it. I dont like the plot its based on. I think its weak. I also didnt make the claim this will be the biggest movie experience of the year which "they" did about the movie before anyone has seen it. Why dont you roll your eyes at them! I know it will make mega bucks because these days its about weekend openers not the quality. There was a Movie Guru on CBCs QUE and he talked about the new Hollywood Marketing machine where movies these days are based on status quo (video game movies) and yes there is a movie in the works about facebook. Now theres something to roll your eyes.

I am also not the one who started the thread to dicuss a movie that is all digital fluff and no story and no one has seen but to get all geek-ed out instead about. So i guess your right that makes me a NERD :rolleyes:

I havent seen any threads started about good movies. IE the Hurt locker, the bucket list and so on .

I know its sci-fi and its supposed to be fun. Aliens was fun....or Enemy Mine which was an intelligent Sci-fi movie. I will give credit to District 9, and star trek two threads here I agreed with.

What i want hollywood to do is move away from wham bam thank you mams to something more meaningful without the dazzle and razzle which so many studios shoot for and rely on. IE Transformers 2

Oh and Dear Eugimon since you like to warrent everything to one event let me continue

Today I took a rather huge dump. Due to the YF-21

Had great sex with my wife. Due to the YF-21

My Mom in law corrected me on some of my use of Cantonese. Due to YF-21

After a wonderful Cantonese meal took another dump. Due to YF-21

Also, Historically many wars failed due to over extending of military resources

Hannibal

Alexander

Napoleon

to mention a few

anyway for those that are going to see it cool. I really hope you enjoy your 3-d experience. I will still wait for the reviews as with anything else. For me usually previews tell all for me and i HATE 3-d.

And since this is a non -biased discussion forum in which to connect with others to discuss the mundane in our lives all I am doing is giving my view point about it. As for the hype generated from the preview I am the balance to that equation of not hyped from the preview