Cameron selects an Avatar

If the screens from the game are any indication, the hardware looks surprisingly lame.

Still looking forward to see this one, especially since Cameron *might* pick up Alita/Gunm next.

Whoa!!! Thats a pretty ancient rumour as well. Cameron's name has always been the one mentioned whenever there are murmurs about a Gunm effort from Hollywood, but have we ever had any sort of real proof that he is interested in it? Always sounded a bit like fanboy speculation to me. But I am probably wrong....

Taksraven

I was just reading the link that DarrinG posted, and yes the info on this movie is pretty much top secret, yet is this film going to be Live action or just one big CGI film?

Since Cameron is Directing, if comparing what he did with ALIENS and the technology of the time, especially the Aliens & the Power loaders, I can only imagine this Film with Real actors & the best CGI or Model-Prop work that Money can buy.

Yeah totally. Which is hilarious because the vehicles in Halo were ripped off from Aliens, which was directed by.....

Really? Honestly, I feel they look nothing like the vehicles in Aliens. The stuff in Aliens were alot more distinct.

But then again, I'm only going by feeling.

Edited by shiroikaze

Really? Honestly, I feel they look nothing like the vehicles in Aliens. The stuff in Aliens were alot more distinct.

But then again, I'm only going by feeling.

Really? These look "nothing" alike to you?

ir15.jpg

pelican.jpg

Even the UNSC Marine's armor and weaponry was pretty much ripped off from Aliens. I don't think it's any secret either. Bungie has never denied the similarities. They are huge fans of Aliens.

Check out this link:

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Referen..._Aliens_in_Halo

• 1 month later...

I was going through an old box of books and I came across a comic I bought ages ago called Questar illustrated science fiction classics. So I read it and came across a story called "Call Me Joe" by Poul Anderson.

It reads an awful lot like Avatar does anyone know if Avatar is based on this or not?

Here is a link to the Wiki about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_me_Joe

The aircraft are definitely Aliens / Terminator, but are still cool.

Disctrict 9 has me spoiled. Effects don't have to be as polished as this Avatar clip, or Star Wars.

The rougher, or less refined it is, the more you feel a part of the action.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really stoked about the concept of this film. But the effects leave me feeling like I'm watching a video game from 30 feet away.

District 9 had me brushing the dust off myself as I was leaving the theater . . .

I am disappointed by what I see so far.

Over saturated look, odd 'thunder cat' style alien and uninspired mech design. <_<

pretty much my thoughts exactly. It honestly felt like it would be a really good movie if it wasn't so amazingly goofy looking.

Goofy? I think it looks very cool, and I'm really looking forwards to it. No idea what 'thunder cat' is?... is that an american feline? I can see that it wouldn't be for everyone, but Jim Cameron's movies have always entertained me, and I'm sure this one will as well.

Edited by PetarB

I think it looks very cool, and I'm really looking forwards to it. No idea what 'thunder cat' is?... is that an american feline?
Thundercats is a cartoon from the 80's. The pilot episode is fantastic...definitely worth a look.

I don't mind that the aliens look like Thundercats, but from what I saw, they just don't look real. Time will tell if Cameron taking the title from M. Knight was worthwhile.

Thundercats is a cartoon from the 80's. The pilot episode is fantastic...definitely worth a look.

I don't mind that the aliens look like Thundercats, but from what I saw, they just don't look real. Time will tell if Cameron taking the title from M. Knight was worthwhile.

anything that helps derail that uncle tom production is worthwhile.

The aircraft are definitely Aliens / Terminator, but are still cool.

Disctrict 9 has me spoiled. Effects don't have to be as polished as this Avatar clip, or Star Wars.

The rougher, or less refined it is, the more you feel a part of the action.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really stoked about the concept of this film. But the effects leave me feeling like I'm watching a video game from 30 feet away.

District 9 had me brushing the dust off myself as I was leaving the theater . . .

I know what you mean. The other day at work we were comparing the original Terminator to T2. Now they are both very good films but there is something about the real grittiness of the original Terminator that makes me think in a lot of ways it is better than T2.

I love to see directors forced to work with a low budget, because it often forces them to be the most inventive and creative, as well as putting more into the script and the acting to compensate for creaky SFX.

The final battle scenes on Naboo in the Phantom Menace between Jar Jar and his army against the droid army looked exactly like a computer game, mainly because there was little that was "real" in the environment. I also think that if Michael Bay's budget had been slashed to a third of what he was given for the recent Transformer films he would have made better movies.

Taksraven

I think it looks nifty, and pretty. But it's all for nothing if the plot flows like TF2 or SW Ep2... The powersuits are a definite improvement over the Matrix 3 or Starship Troopers 3, but after District 9, meh... The Prawn Landmate is the best live-action mecha I've seen to date.

Anyone feel like the trailer looked like a cut scene or intro cg for a video game?

yeah, when the female alien chick is jumping down and shooting her bow and arrow it looked particularly bad.

Oh well, still a ways off. maybe they'll go back and fix some of it like they did with the TF2 Devestator trailer footage.

Anyone feel like the trailer looked like a cut scene or intro cg for a video game?

CS from generic scifi shooter featuring random space marine with hi-tech assault rifle in a trite forgettable story about being sent in to pacify a random civilization but ends up siding with the local savages - yes.

If they were going to spend millions making a sci-fi movie about cat-people, they should have just made Thundercats.

IMHO, they're right at "uncanny valley" of weirdness as they are----they're so human, it's freaky. They even have human hairlines! I'm sure one will have male pattern baldness and sideburns. Actual "aliens" would work/look much better. Best examples of that in a while IMHO are Mass Effect----turians and krogans. Very alien, but still "humanoid" enough to empathize with.