Macross Mecha Manual

Mr March

Mr March......great website.....how often is the site updated? Also, does the vf-171 have internal missile bays like the vf-17. Again.....great site

Thank you. The website is updated infrequently, averaging about 5 times a year. Updates are a little slower now since most of the franchise has been covered, new information is slow to appear and I'm a more busy with real life :) You can see the chronology of the M3 in the "Updates" section of the site.

Next update is coming soon, within the next week. There will be only a handful of new mechanical profiles, but there will be lots of revisions/corrections/improvements. There will also be some new Macropedia Entries and new Size Comparison Charts. Lastly, there will be site-wide additions of new material added to almost all the Valkyrie profiles, such as new Color Code Transformation Guides and new Schematic Diagrams.

Mr March......great website.....how often is the site updated? Also, does the vf-171 have internal missile bays like the vf-17. Again.....great site

The VF-17 doesn't have internal missile bays. It has weapon pallets.

From the animation, it looks like the VF-171 is only equipped with micro-missile launchers in the engine nacelles (legs).

I remember from a few months back that there were some more entries on the site, including the Anti-UN Submarine carrier Auerstädt with basic design sketches, and the HWR-Monster Mk. I from Macross Zero. They now seem to have been removed from the site. Will they come back? I'd also like to see more images of the sub-carrier. There must be more designs or even full CGI images of that beauty!

Remko

My website, the Macross Mecha Manual, is separate from the The New UNS QuarterMasters Tactical Database. Both websites are hosted on the same webspace, but I have no control over the material that is not a part of my own sub-site. I've not yet had the Auerstädt or Monster Mk I featured on my website because I have no access to high resolution line art of those vehicles. Some Macross Zero line art is slowly starting to trickle in as the Macross Chronicle is published, so eventually more profiles will appear in the Macross Zero section.

Sulendil Ang

The transformation guides worked out very well, but they were a lot of work. I've got 27 of them completed, so I'm almost done.

jedimech

Thank you. I hope you enjoy this upcoming update.

December 10, 2008

Major Update - Ride The Lightning!

This update to the Macross Mecha Manual features plenty of new content to be found site-wide, including many additions to the For Fans Only Section. The new content includes Size Comparison Charts, new Color Code Transformation Guides and new Schematic Diagrams added to the various profiles. Most of these latest additions (particularly the Battroid size comparison chart) have been a dream project of mine since I first built the Macross Mecha Manual. It is my hope this new content provides insightful analysis and answers many fan questions about the mechanical creations of Macross.

The highlight of this update is a major revision of the VF-4 Lightning III variable fighter. Both the roughly sketched Battroid art and the somewhat limited colors were a less than ideal presentation of the initial VF-4 profile. Thus I spent two days applying my meager artistic skills into finalizing the VF-4 line art. While not perfect, the result greatly improves the VF-4 Battroid. In addition, I have recolored both Battroid and Fighter modes in a more pleasing stylized motif, I've revised the Flashback 2012 Index Button accordingly and added colored schematics to the VF-4 profile. Additional electrifying goodness can be found in the Game & Advanced Valkyrie Section featuring the Max and Milia variants of the VF-4G Lightning III.

I have also added purple colored text to a few profiles which denotes newly translated Macross Chronicle Information. Lastly, I am sending out a THANK YOU to Dante74 of the Macross World forums; yet again he has assisted me in building more content for the M3. Dante74 worked to add titles, backgrounds, borders and scales lines to the size comparison charts and turned a good concept into a great final result. This update includes only 8 new profiles.

Macross Frontier Section

Dulfim

Deneb Class Battleship

V-9 Ghost Fighter

Game & Advanced Valkyrie Section

VF-4G Lightning III (Macross M3 Version)

VB-6 Konig Monster "Alternate Colors"

For Fans Only Section

VF-1A Low Visibility

VF-11B Strigon

YF-21 Blue

Macross Chronicle Information

Fan Racer updated

Oberth Class Destroyer updated

Factory Satellite updated

Macross Cannon updated

Megaroad-01 updated

Additions/Corrections

Added 7 new Size Comparison Charts (Size Comparison Chart Macross Battroids, Size Comparison Chart Macross Fighters, Size Comparison Chart VF-1 Valkyries, Size Comparison Chart SDF Macross - VF-1J & Quel-Quallie, Size Comparison Chart SDF Macross era (AD 2012) Meltran/Zentran Space Craft, Size Comparison Chart Macross II)

Added 24 new Schematic Diagrams (VF-0A Phoenix, SV-51, VF-1A Valkyrie, VF-1D Valkyrie, VF-1J Valkyrie, VF-1S Valkyrie, VF-1S Super Valkyrie, VF-1S Strike Valkyrie, VT-1 Ostrich, ARMD Class (Film Version), VF-4 Lightning III, VF-5000B Star Mirage, VF-5000B Star Mirage (Macross Plus Version), VF-11B Thunderbolt, VF-11B Super Thunderbolt, VF-17D Nightmare, VF-17T Nightmare Custom, YF-19, YF-21, Drone Fighter, X-9 Ghost, Fz-109F Elgerzorene, Saratoga II, VF-2SS Valkyrie II SAP

Added 27 new Color Code Transformation Guides (SV-51, VA-3C Invader, VB-6 Konig Monster, VF-1A Valkyrie, VF-1J Valkyrie, VF-1S Valkyrie, VF-4 Lightning III, VF-5000B Star Mirage, VF-5000G Star Mirage, VF-9 Cutlass, VF-3000 Crusader, VF-11B Thunderbolt, VF-14 Vampire, VF-17D Nightmare, VF-17S Nightmare, VF-19F Excalibur, VF-19S Excalibur, VF-19P Excalibur, VF-19 Custom Excalibur, VF-22 Sturmvogel II, YF-19, YF-21, Az-130A Panzerzorene, FBz-99G Saubergeran, Fz-109A Elgerzorene, Fz-109F Elgerzorene, VF-2SS Valkyrie II)

Added 20 new Macropedia entries (Anti-Armor Bayonet, Artificial Intelligence, Assault Knife, Caliber, Cybernetic Conspiracy, Faster-than-light, Fold Quartz, Fold Wave, g-force (g), ISC (Inertia Store Converter), Judah System, Light-Year, MDE, Sniper Rifle, Speed of light, Super Fold Booster, Vajra, Vajra Queen, Vajra War, V-Type Virus)

Revised the Acknowledgements

Revised the FAQ

Revised the Macross Plus Banner

Revised the Flashback 2012 Index Button

Revised the Macross Game & Advanced Banner

Revised the Macross Game & Advanced Index Button

Revised the Master List of Macross Mecha

Revised the Macross Frontier Index Page

Revised VF-1J Valkyrie to move Styled Battroid and Dorsal Schematic to a variant profile

Revised Einstein Research Experimental Ship profile

Revised Sunnyflower Agricultural Ship profile

Revised West Point Class Macro-Training Base Ship profile

Revised Vajra Warship profile into Vajra Carrier profile

Revised Macross Class SDFN 04 Global

Revised ALL VF-25 Messiah profiles

Revised VF-171 Nightmare Plus profile

Revised VF-27 Lucifer profile

Line Art Added to VF-1A Valkyrie (transformation fighter-to-battroid leg details)

Line Art Added to SDF-2 (bridge details)

Line Art Added to VF-4 Lightning III (styled Battroid and Fighter color art, 4 digital photos and transformation art)

Line Art Added to VB-6 Konig Monster (auxillary guns line art)

Line Art Added to VF-25F Messiah (internal machinery)

Line Art Added to VF-25S Messiah (dimensions)

Line Art Added to VF-2SS Valkyrie II (Auto-Attack Bits/Squires)

Line Art Update VF-0A Phoenix (All modes, color)

Line Art Update VF-0A Phoenix Angel (Color)

Line Art Update Destroid Defender (line art)

Line Art Update Destroid Monster (cockpit line art)

Line Art Update Destroid Spartan (line art)

Line Art Update Destroid Tomahawk (Color, line art)

Line Art Update Macross Class SDF-1 (line art)

Line Art Update Macross Class SDF-2 (Color, aft view, size comparison)

Line Art Update LVT Avenger II (line art)

Line Art Update Glamor ES-11D Cats Eye (color and line art)

Line Art Update QF-3000E Ghost (color and line art)

Line Art Update Spider Bug (line art)

Line Art Update Star Goose (color and line art)

Line Art Update VC-27 Tunny (all color and line art)

Line Art Update ARMD (Film Version; line art)

Line Art Update Macross-Class SDF-1 (Film Version; line art)

Line Art Update VF-5000B and VF-5000B (Macross Plus (Color Fighter/Battroid)

Line Art Update VF-11B Thunderbolt (ALL Color)

Line Art Update YF-19, YF-19 FAST Pack, YF-19 Fold Booster (ALL Fighter mode Color)

Line Art Update to YF-21, YF-21 FAST Pack, YF-21 Fold Booster (ALL Color)

Line Art Update Drone Fighter (line art)

Line Art Update X-9 Ghost (line art)

Line Art Update VF-22 Sturmvogel II, Gamlin, Max, Milia (ALL Color)

Line Art Update VF-19 Custom (Gun Pod Color)

Line Art Update FBz-99G Saubergeran (Battroid and Bomber Color)

Line Art Update VF-22 Sturmvogel II VF-X2 (ALL Color)

Line Art Update Saratoga II (Color, aft/front/dorsal/side views)

Line Art Update VC-079 Civilian Valkyrie (ALL Color, cockpit line art)

As always, please enjoy :)

Bah, why couldn't get this update up 2 days ago :angry: :angry: :angry: , it would have saved me s00oo much time!!! j/k :lol: :lol:

Great Job, on the site. Just a note since I have been staring at the VF-17D transformation artwork for the past 2 days, the side panels on the VF-17D intake are part of the shoulder assembly

Here is what I mean

post-10089-1228981557_thumb.gif

That whole area was hard to figure out. It becomes a little clearer when you look at the Full Detail drawings of the VF-17S Nightmare. I'm not sure if it's absolutely correct, but below I've attached a picture which I believe is the way the arm joint transforms:

post-114-1229010999_thumb.gif

Thanks all. I'm glad you're enjoying the new material.

Regarding the color code guides, it's a balancing act building them. They aren't meant to cover everything. I want users to be enticed to think about the transformations by looking at the guides and once they do, they should be able to figure them out. I think they are good enough as is.

On another note, it appears the VF-1D htm file wasn't updated along with everything else, so visitors are unable to view the schematics. When I get home from work today, I'll correct this error. For now, here are direct links to the VF-1D schematics:

http://www.new-un-spacy.com/sdfmacross/vf-...ematic-vf1d.gif

http://www.new-un-spacy.com/sdfmacross/vf-...tic-vf1dtop.gif

Enjoy :)

Edited by Mr March

I bow down to the greatness that is Mr. March and his awesome M3 site.

Another great update. I love the size comparison charts.

One little thing I noticed, the flaps on the back of the VF-19 shoulders you have colored green on the battroid but they are red on the fighter.

M3 - The best resource of Macross lineart on the world wide web.

post-2177-1229035362_thumb.gif

Whoops! Yup, I made a mistake on those. That's an easy fix though. I'll correct them tonight.

Actually, it's much more noticeable on the VF-19 Custom, since one can see the hinges and the beveled edges of the top rear torso :)

Thanks valk1j.

Okay, corrections have been made to all the VF-19 Color Code guides. Make sure to REFRESH your browser when visiting. Thanks again valk1j.

I also updated the VF-1D html file so you can actually see the schematics now :)

Edited by Mr March

Glad to hear everyone is enjoying this newest update. It was a lot of fun building it.

The next step for the M3 is the addition of a little Macross Zero content and some more Macross II stuff. Hopefully more information and material becomes available from the Macross Chronicle so other statistics and trivia can be added to the website as well. New material is very slow to appear, so it may take quite some time for updates to appear.

Just in case most haven't figured it out already, this is probably as good as time as any to spell out that the Macross Mecha Manual has pretty much reached it's final form. The majority of the franchise has been covered and much of the material I've wanted to add since I first built the site has already been added. There is still some small amount of Macross II, Macross Zero and Macross Frontier material (and perhaps a Macross G&A profile or two) yet to appear, but compared to the content already on the M3, that's small potatoes. Much like the largest portion of this latest update, revisions/corrections will likely dominate future updates.

There has been discussion about adopting a Wiki interface to broaden the M3's appeal, but I'd consider that option only if all my content could be secured and remain unedited except when I alone wished to change it. I've no wish to make the M3's content open source; my motivation would be to seize advantage of the popularity of the wiki format. People seem to turn to wikis for 99% of the information they want online and I can see the advantage of increased traffic and visibility simply by using a Wiki format. But it's just a thought, and again I reiterate, any potential Wiki version of the M3 would have to be "content closed" to everyone except myself (and perhaps a few other contributors, like Dante74, briscojr84, and so forth). The M3 is my fansite; if some don't like it, they can make their own, but I will never allow just anyone to edit mine. The actual Wikipedia articles on Macross are disaster zones and I would never want to see the M3 content end up like that. So all those having a knee-jerk reaction to the idea of an M3 wiki, relax and rest assured that if it ever came to be, it would be a secured site or not at all :)

What would be the advantages of a wiki format? I'm just curious as to why people would raise such a suggestion. As it is, I think your website has an excellent, well organised layout. In fact, the only suggestions I could make would be the addition of a search engine (for people new to the franchise who might not know which VF belongs to which series), and maybe hotlinks between related variable fighters (for example the YF-19, VF-19A, VF-19F/S which are all related but appear in different anime/games).

There's nothing inherently wrong or anything that I dislike about my site format. I'm actually happy with it. But I do get the sense that the M3 would be more accessible by adopting an interface that most internet users love. That interface appears to be a Wikipedia style format.

It's just like anything; people want a standardized system that's easy to use. Standardized home video, standardized operating systems, standardized everything. The Wikipedia is the standardized format for information websites and nearly every fandom has a dedicated wiki, from big franchises like Battlestar Galactica to small franchises like Fallout. The main reason to switch the M3 to a wiki format would be to gain more visitors simply due to a popular interface that is more familiar to internet users and more likely to keep them coming back.

Edited by Mr March

What would be the advantages of a wiki format? I'm just curious as to why people would raise such a suggestion.

Search and editing. HTML is a pain to maintain. In this day an age, dynamic content is more suitable. Imagine if many news websites (like the Associated Press) were done in straight HTML. You would have to have a webmaster(s) maintaining it 24/7. Coding HTML is not easy over time. I've coded HTML back in the days and eventually I moved to a template format for my HTML pages. Eventually, it was a pain to add content because I would have to code entries by hand and if I made mistakes, then I would have to go into the page, look for the error, correct it, reload the page, wash, rinse and repeat. Eventually I switched to a more robust system using databases. Editing content became much easier since it involved less coding. Formatting issues became less of an issue. And the big gain was searching. Now I could search for keywords, or articles that were posted instead of following link after link after link. That's the advantage of going that route.

But as Mr. March said, his site, his content. He'll edit what he wants to edit, when he wants to.

Personally, I think people tend to get a little Wiki-happy when it comes to fan sites and want to Wiki-fy everything. I'd had several calls over the years to Wiki-fy MAHQ, but it's not something I will ever do. There's too many issues regarding security of content. I don't want to have to constantly clean up messes created by trolls and vandals, which is a reality for any Wiki site. Sites like the Compendium are the exception because they have a good crew watching over things, but not everyone is so lucky. With the way I do things now, if there's a mistake somewhere, I know where to find it because I'm the one who made it. That's not the same as having to deal with potentially hundreds of errors caused by thousands of people. I think M3 is fine the way it is, and I don't see any reason to Wiki-fy it, especially since the Compendium is already in that format.

I agree there are points for and against the idea. Trust me, I have been weighing the advantages vs. disadvantages of a wiki-style M3. It's not something I would jump into without thinking it through. I'm glad to hear that it's at least possible to make a secure wiki-style M3, since that would ultimately be the primary concern.

Regardless, a wiki version of the M3 is just a thought at this point. Despite what I decide to do, I don't see any reason to abandon the html version of the M3, especially after all the work that's been put into it. But even the M3 is just a standardized layout itself, a format I adopted from Burke Rukes excellent Mecha Domain (which became ChrisG's improved MAHQ). One solution I did have was to adopt a wiki format M3, yet maintain the html version as a choice of format for any website visitors. The wiki and html versions would both be maintained, a relatively easy task given that 99% of the website content is now permanent and the majority of the Macross franchise has now been covered.

At any rate, I'm glad to hear all the opinions and wants of the loyal visitors. Whether the M3 changes or not, I'll ensure the html version will remain online indefinitely.