Macross Mecha Manual

Mr March

Ah...

My bad I'm assuming the site you posted in the other thread was your site.

Nice database by the way. ^_^

Nope. UNSQMTDB is briscojr84's website, the Macross Mecha Manual is my website. Together, we are McCaen's/March Overtechnology Guide :)

With all the new posts in this thread I thought I missed an M3 update. I felt ashamed for a few seconds...

Hehehe, not yet. I'll probably release an update sometime in the next month. I got about 25 new profiles completed of mostly Macross 7 vehicles. That's small, but enough to release. However, I'm working on revisions, corrections, house cleaning and other little website things that have been neglected for far too long. These will take a while to finish.

Hehehe, not yet. I'll probably release an update sometime in the next month. I got about 25 new profiles completed of mostly Macross 7 vehicles. That's small, but enough to release. However, I'm working on revisions, corrections, house cleaning and other little website things that have been neglected for far too long. These will take a while to finish.

I can't wait then. The Macross 7 mecha and space ships were very nice for the most part. Though the Varuta mechas and shîps are ugly as hell.

For the DYRL? version of the Armd carrier you list it as having:

Space fighters: 78 x SF-3A Lancer II

Space planes: 270 x QF-3000E Ghost

Variable Mecha: unknown number of VF-1 Valkyrie.

I believe that is the same as the TV version. The Gold Book list it as having 262 VF-1 and 66 QF-3000E Ghost. Plus it's lenght was extended by 20 meters.

Mr March, I was wondering if you might think of adding this pic to M3. It is very hard to find and would be nice to see it archived somewhere.

It's from: マクロススペシャルプレビュー愛覚えていますか Pg 46. The book has a few other goodies on DYRL not seen in other books (though, as I don't have the Gold Book, I'm not sure if they are in there or not.)

For the DYRL? version of the Armd carrier you list it as having:

Space fighters: 78 x SF-3A Lancer II

Space planes: 270 x QF-3000E Ghost

Variable Mecha: unknown number of VF-1 Valkyrie.

I believe that is the same as the TV version. The Gold Book list it as having 262 VF-1 and 66 QF-3000E Ghost. Plus it's lenght was extended by 20 meters.

Yeah, we went over that in this thread: ARMD Tv and Film versions. The corrections have been made and will be part of the next update.

• 4 weeks later...

October 29, 2007

MAJOR UPDATE

I am pleased to once again release more updates for the Macross Mecha Manual. Today features 30 new profiles but the primary focus of this update is to properly revise and correct existing content. The website has been a learning experience and vehicle profiles have been refined as more were released. Looking back it's clear some of the first profiles suffer from low resolution scans, poor quality colored art, grammatical/spelling errors and a lack of organization. To correct these shortcomings, the four main VF-1 profiles (VF-1A, D, J and S) have been completely revised as well as most of the other VF-1 entries. I encourage all fans to take another look at these updated profiles. Some improvements may not be obvious, but at the very least visitors will appreciate the new content and organization.

Along with the major revisions comes the new color code system, implemented in the VF-1 profiles and the Macross 7 section. The color code system is designed to draw the reader's attention to the technical details of vehicle variants that differ from the standard model. I'm hoping this improves reading and quick reference. The system is just a test at this point and I'm eager for feedback. I think it's a great new addition, but some may find legitimate fault. Please feel free to share your thoughts.

This update has debuts-a-plenty with the new Books section, the Macross Game and Advanced Valkyrie section and the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section. I'm also happy to add another hilarious feature to the Humor section titled "Pimp My Valkyrie." Last but not least, the holy grail of line art has been found! Totoro242 of the Macross World message boards has provided a high resolution scan of the elusive Megaroad-01 line art (which I have now colored). A big thanks to this generous Macross fan!

The following is a list of all the new Macross mecha added in this update:

SDF Macross Section

VF Orguss Valkyrie

VF-1D "Virgin Road"

Macross Flashback 2012 Section

Nupetiet-Vergnitzs Class Fleet Command Battleship (2012 Refit)

Macross 7 Section

Az-130A Panzerzorene

FBz-99 Saubergeran

Fz-109A Elgerzorene

Fz-109F Elgerzorene

Limousine (2045)

New Macross Class Colonization Ship

Riviera Class Resort Ship

Sports Car (2045)

Varauta Fleet Flagship Space Carrier

Varauta Large Battleship

Varauta Standard Battleline Battleship

Varauta High Speed Raiding Space Cruiser

Varauta Vanguard Frigate

VF-11B "Milia"

VF-11D "Jamming Bird"

VF-11MAXL Thunderbolt Custom

VF-11MAXL Thunderbolt Custom "Sound Booster"

VF-11MAXL Thunderbolt Custom "Sound and Fold Booster"

VF-17T Nightmare Custom

VF-17T Nightmare Custom "Sound Booster"

VF-19 Excalibur Custom

VF-19 Excalibur Custom "Sound Booster"

Macross Game and Advanced Valkyrie Section

Feios Valkyrie

SDP-1 Stampede Valkyrie

VB-6 Konig Monster

VF-11B "VF-X Ravens"

VF-11B "VF-X Ravens - Yellow"

Additions/Corrections

Updated Debut for VEFR-1 Electronic Warfare Valkyrie

Updated Debut for YF-19 Prototype No. 1 to denote origin in TIAS Macross Plus book

Updated Debut for YF-21 Prototype No. 1 to denote origin in TIAS Macross Plus book

Updated Debut for VF-17T Trainer to denote origin in TIAS Macross Plus book

Complete Revision of VF-1A Valkyrie profile with new color art, revised text, higher quality pictures, simplified directory name and additional line art.

Complete Revision of VF-1D profile with new Battroid Mode (Color), revised text, higher quality pictures, simplified directory name and additional line art.

Complete Revision of VF-1J profile with revised text, higher quality pictures, simplified directory name and additional line art.

Complete Revision of VF-1S profile with new Fighter Mode (Color), revised text, higher quality pictures, simplified directory name and additional line art.

Complete Revision of VF-1J Armored Valkyrie profile with new Missile (Color) pictures, updated line art (openrear, launchers, firing, ejecting, clean front & rear) and revised text.

Complete Revision of VF-1S Super Valkyrie profile with revised text, higher quality pictures and additional line art.

Complete Revision of VF-1A Super Valkyrie profile with revised text, higher quality pictures and additional line art.

Complete Revision of VF-1J Armored Valkyrie (Film Version) profile with new Battroid (Color), Missile (Color, Film Version) pictures, updated line art (openrear, launchers, firing, ejecting) and revised text.

Complete Revision of VF-1S (Film Version) profile with new Fighter Mode (Color), revised text, higher quality pictures and additional line art.

Complete Revision of VF-1S Strike Valkyrie profile with revised text, higher quality pictures and additional line art.

Line Art Update Megaroad-01 Class Super-Long Range Colonization Ship (Color)

Line Art Update VEFR-1 Electronic Warfare Valkyrie (Battroid and Fighter, regrettably still low-resolution, but much improved)

Line Art Update Macross Class SDF-1 (Macross Plus Version)

Line Art Update VF-1J "Max" (Color)

Line Art Update VF-1A Battroid Mode (Color), Fighter Mode (Color), GERWALK Mode (Color), Fire Suppression Missile (Color), Landing Gear, Battroid Controls, Fighter Mode Controls, Fighter Mode Ventral View, Fighter Mode Multiple Views, Fighter Mode (full armament) Multiple Views, Fighter Mode Control Surfaces, Fighter Mode Machinery Details, VF-1A Schematics, VF-1 Cockpit Interior/Exterior 1 and 2, Magic Hands

Line Art Update VF-1A FAST Pack DYRL HMM-01 Micro Missiles (Color), RMS-1 Reaction Warheads (Color), Fighter Mode Forward Hull Exterior Detail, Cockpit Crosssection, DYRL Cockpit Fighter HUD, VF-1 Block 6 Instrument Panel, VF-1 Block 6 Cockpit Controls, VF-1 Block 6 Interior/Exterior 1 and 2, VF-1A Fast Pack on Launching Arm

Line Art Update VF-1S Super HMM-01 Micro Missiles (Color), RMS-1 Reaction Warheads (Color), Arm Unit Micro Missiles (Color)

Line Art Update VT-1 Super Ostrich Fighter FAST Pack (Color)

Line Art Update VF-4 Lightning VF-4 Fighter Mode No Shadow (Color), all fighter pictures

Line Art Added VF-1A Battroid Cockpit (two new pictures), Transformation (four new pictures), GU-11 Gun Pod Schematic

Line Art Added VF-1S "Super" Valkyrie HMMP-02 Booster Internal Machinery

Line Art Added VF-1A "Super" Valkyrie (Film Version) HMMP-02 Booster Internal Machinery

Line Art Added VF-1S "Strike" Valkyrie HMMP-02 Booster Internal Machinery

Line Art Added VF-11B Transformation Details (3 pictures)

Line Art Added YF-19 "Alpha One" Transformation Details; Heavy Weapons Cluster

Line Art Added YF-21 "Omega One" Transformation Details

Line Art Added SDF-1 Macross (Film Version) Civilian Internal City

Revised ALL Flashback 2012, Macross Plus and Macross 7 profiles with more accurate section headers.

Revised ARMD Class Carrier (Film Version) with correct DYRL version length and DYRL version fighter complement (as described in the Gold Book page 294)

Revised VF-11C, VF-11C Protect Armor, VF-11B Pink Pecker Description and History with the explanation for the internal engine/leg missile bays and Technical Data for rate of climb.

Revised VF-11B (noting the VF-5000 as the fighter it replaced, not the VF-4), VF-11B Booster, VF-11B Super, Technical Data for rate of climb

Revised VF-0S Reactive Armor Armament with six large hand grenades.

Revised Golg Gants Charts profile with more accurate specifications and description

Revised Light Transport Boat profile with more accurate specifications and description

Revised Gnerl profile with more accurate specifications and description

Revised VF-1D Debut.

Revised Mehve size in Icons of Mecha section.

Revised Nousjadeul-Ger Debut.

Revised SDF-2 text description.

Revised YF-19 "Alpha One" technical profile to include the heavy weapons cluster.

Revised VF-17T Trainer Technical Data

Revised VF-17D Diamond Force, VF-17S Milia htm pages

Revised Macropedia page

Revised Macross DYRL? Section HTM

Corrected picture subheading for VF-1S Fighter and GERWALK

October 29, 2007

MAJOR UPDATE Last but not least, the holy grail of line art has been found! Totoro242 of the Macross World message boards has provided a high resolution scan of the elusive Megaroad-01 line art (which I have now colored).

HOLY fartING TREAT OR TRICK!!! :ph34r:

vermillion01

Total Rockstar, just like Zack :)^_^ Glad you enjoy the site.

Sumdumgai

Good to hear. I hope you liked the color fully armed VF-1A Fighter :)

Ignacio Ocamica

Very good to hear. I figured the color code system would work a lot better than without. I was just looking at the stats one day and I started lamenting all the repetition in profiles for the variants. It's necessary, but I needed something to help make things more readable (my mantra). Then it hit me: I'm good with coloring pictures, why not also color code? Eventually, I'll fix up the other entries throughout the site as well.

mike

Enjoy, enjoy! I've got some real kickass stuff coming next update.

Prime

You're slow! The M3 was asking me where you were :)

chrono

Hehehe, definitely a nice addition to the holiday :)

Flaming Guantlet

I was waiting for the response on the new Humor section. I think it's even better than the Messages, but that's just me. I was thinking of a character as host, but decided to just leave it as some anonymous gangsta :)

Lonewolf

There you are! I know you warned me that I'd never get a hold of you on MSN, but damn! :) Some of the Macross 7 stuff was hard to do...the sound force valkyries were REALLY hard to do. Ugh! The last thing I wanted to do was to be taking these things seriously. But, if it's on the M3, it has to be top quality. No room for slackers, hehehe. I figured if I'm going to go ahead with a complete M7 section, I had to do the sound crap sooner or later. So I bit the bullet and got it all out of the way first. And just my luck, the sound valkyries were all really hard to do with tons more coloring required than the average valkyrie. Now I hate Macross 7 even more...HAHAHAHA :) Actually, one thing that did surprise me was a new found affection for the VF-11D. I hate the sound stuff, but everything else about that Valkyrie rocks. It's more heavily armed than any other VF-11 except the Protect Armor, has more powerful engines, has a pin-point barrier and I really like the colors.

But now that all the sound crap is out of the way, the next update is going to be filled with all sorts of death and destruction! The way mecha were meant to be :)

Edited by Mr March

Looks awesome Marchie! It's sure to be the Macross reference site.

Spotted a small typo in General Galaxy YF-21 "Omega One"

Says: "For offense, the YF-21 featured a reward firing super-miniature anti-aircraft laser turret,"

Should that say 'For defense' and "rearward'?

Sumdumgai

Hehehe, I'd hoped you'd get a kick out of it. I liked writing in Kamjin, causing trouble as always :)

DestroidDefender

Awesome catch! I've made the corrections and uploaded a new page. Thanks so much DD. I really have to rely on a second pair of eyes for proofreading, so please feel free to report any other errors you see.

Torii

Good work! I've made corrections and completed an upload. Thanks again Torii. It's good to catch these errors.

Edited by Mr March

Lonewolf

...Actually, one thing that did surprise me was a new found affection for the VF-11D. I hate the sound stuff, but everything else about that Valkyrie rocks. It's more heavily armed than any other VF-11 except the Protect Armor, has more powerful engines, has a pin-point barrier and I really like the colors.

I knew you'd come around to loving the VF-11D! It is one of those surprise designs from Mac 7 that is truly a work of art!

I could see it with the radome or as a 2 man bomber configuration. If you swapped the sound farce boosters with "real" FAST atmospheric packs, it would be a formidable weapon system to be sure.

Looks awesome Marchie! It's sure to be the Macross reference site.

Spotted a small typo in General Galaxy YF-21 "Omega One"

Says: "For offense, the YF-21 featured a reward firing super-miniature anti-aircraft laser turret,"

Should that say 'For defense' and "rearward'?

Ya know it's sad when you nearly automatically dismiss errors like this when it comes to posts on the Internet. :mellow: Too much apathy I guess. Good catch!!

March, that 'humor' section is like a mini-4Chan >-<! I'll have too look through my "4Chan Humor" file for others. ^_^

But on a more serious subject. With your finding higher resolution images of the Megaroad 01 she should be able to be put into either 3D or a physical model now!! B))

Megaroad in 3D..... hmmmm.... ;):o:wub:

i love the 'pimp my valkyrie' section, but to be honest i thought it would be an interactive feature.. kinda like the DIY southpark figures site ( http://www.sp-studio.de/ ). maybe there's an idea for the future... i know its probably way too much work though and bandwisth issues a plenty. Would be cool to Pimp your own valk model though...

still loving the site!

Mr March, have you come across any official line-art of how the VF-11D's heatshield comes out? It's so bulky, I can't figure out how it would be possible to have it come out like the normal VF-11B/C heatshield.

Similarly have you found any VF-4 transformation diagrams for transformation into battroid, besides what is in the Macross Design Works book? I've always been bothered trying to figure out what goes where from that one diagram, in particular how the nose-cone slides back over that fin under the cockpit that folds into the nose. I don't really want to think about where the landing gear would go, since there's already so little room to work with on the VF-4...

I just realized when looking through the Macross Design Works that the VF-1 Armored Gerwalk looks like a terran valkyrie conversion to the glaug.

I just realized when looking through the Macross Design Works that the VF-1 Armored Gerwalk looks like a terran valkyrie conversion to the glaug.

The armored GERWALK get's soo little loving!!

It's one of my favorites (once I got past the rather silly looking twin cannons on the turret).

My only beef besides the twin cannons, is that for such a system to be effective it would need to be mounted on a VF-1D where the back seat would act as the gunner for the pilot.

The idea is sooo cool and I wished it would have been used in the Mars Base episode of SDFM, albeit with several different weapons packages on the turret. That would have been an effective defensive system against the Glaug and Regults...

charger69

I like that car. It's got good line and angles, so much so that I find the design has aged VERY well since 1995. You're right though, it does resemble the Lola T70 more than a little. I'm glad the update helped you find pictures of this vehicle.

Zinjobular

I agree! I've been thinking of a new section for the M3 where I'd dump all the miscellaneous fun stuff. Fan custom coloring, custom line art creations, wallpapers, et cetera. A VF-11D Custom outfitted with VF-11C Atmosphere/Space Super Parts would be ideal. I don't think it'd be all that hard. A worthy project to consider!

Lonewolf

I'll take your word for it :)

In all seriousness, I am glad at least a few fans are enjoying the Macross 7 mecha. If nothing else, they are fun to look at just as a very brightly colored alternative to the rest of the franchise :)

chrono

Don't be shy reporting errors if you see them. If it improves the M3, that's all that matters :)

Well, I'd be loathe to compare anything on my site to 4Chan, but perhaps it is kinda silly. But if it got a chuckle, that's my goal :)

vermillion01

That sounds like a wonderful idea. I encourage you to go make that website and I'll host it on the M3 if you like :)B))

Hehehe, seriously, I'm self-taught in HTML and only know just enough to be dangerous. That kind of thing is way out of my league. I can see the implications to a mecha site. It would be VERY sick, as they say these days :)

Sumdumgai

I've not seen any four-piece canopy transformation pictures for the VF-11D.

However, the line art for the VF-11D is different from the VF-11C and the whole forward nose/cockpit has a redesigned shape. Bet you never noticed :) If you look closely, you can see the VF-11D forward fuselage is much larger; both wider, longer and reshaped compared to the VF-11C. The thickness of the VF-11D would be really noticeable sans Super Parts, but I don't know if that kind of line art exists either. It's important to remember the statistics and remember the artist. Kawamori is a perfectionist and detail-minded. I know it's easy to dismiss statistics because so many mecha shows abuse them. But...

THIS...IS...MACROOOSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

Hahaha. Seriously, the VF-11C is length 15.51 meters long while the VF-11D is 16.02 meters long. That difference is not only reflected in the official numbers, but it is also reflected in the actual design. The forward nose is longer, less sleek and wider. Here's several comparison pictures; you'll notice a difference right away (and I'll include a second batch showing significant differences):

vf-11-dc-comparedorsal.gif

vf-11-dc-compareventral.gif

vf-11-dc-comparedorsal-red.gif

vf-11-dc-compareventral-red.gif

Lastly, the Battroid line art can be somewhat deceptive. It accentuates the VF-11D four-piece canopy cover (as do the colors and shading). Take a look at the canopy covers as seen from the battroid mode (with Super Parts) top view for a more accurate perspective.

Hot damn! You're mostly right Mr. March. I thought that the nose area of the VF-11D had been lengthened, but I didn't catch any of the other details! :) Thank you for pointing those out, I never noticed the other changes! :o

This is why I love hanging out here. I keep getting surprised when people point out things I've missed. :D Thanks for not only describing the differences between the 11C and 11D, but actually showing them!

Smiley424

Make sure to go through all the new content; it's worth it :)

Yes, the VF-22S Sturmvogel II will be included. I've always planned to have that one in the Macross 7 section, more than I can say for the other mecha that made it there, hahaha :) Right now, I've got half a dozen new profiles ready to go and another half dozen well on the way.

The following is a list of mecha that are certain to be in the next update:

VAB-2D Fighter-Bomber

VA-3M Invader VF-X Ravens

VA-3C Invader

VA-3C Invader Custom

VF-1A Valkyrie VF-X Ravens

VF-1S Super Valkyrie VF-X Ravens

VF-11C Thunderbolt Space/Atmosphere Super

VF-17D Nightmare VF-X Ravens

VF-17D Nightmare Cyan

VF-19A Excalibur VF-X Ravens

VF-19F Excalibur

VF-19S Excalibur

VF-19S Excalibur Test Flight

VF-19S Excalibur Super

VF-5000B Star Mirage

VF-5000G Star Mirage

VF-5000G Star Mirage Custom

VF-5000T-G Star Mirage

VF-22S Sturmvogel II

VF-22S Sturmvogel II VF-X Ravens

Neo Nupetiet-Vergnitzs Class Fleet Command Battleship

Bolognese Zentradi Class Stealth Frigate

This second list includes mecha I want to be in the next update:

VF-14 Vampire (Macross 7 Plus Version)

VF-14 Vampire (Macross M3 Version)

Grahams Armor Suit

Rex Gang Motorcycles

Queadluun-Quilqua

Macross 5

Macross 13

QF-2001 Ghost

Hollywood Class Amusement Ship

Mark Twain Class Resort Ship

Einstien Class Research Experimental Ship

Three Star Factory Ship

Sunny Flower Agricultural Ship

West Point Class Macro-Training Base Ship

Sumdumgai

Glad I could help. It is a lot of fun exploring the mecha of Macross in this way. You gain such appreciation for the mecha and the effort that was put into designing each vehicle.

I've mentioned above that I want to create a special dumping ground for all kinds of miscellaneous mecha stuff and I'm really convinced now that it would be an asset. I can place stuff like the VF-11D/VF-11C comparison pictures above in such a section.

Edited by Mr March

I've mentioned above that I want to create a special dumping ground for all kinds of miscellaneous mecha stuff and I'm really convinced now that it would be an asset. I can place stuff like the VF-11D/VF-11C comparison pictures above in such a section.

Yeah, like a "Comparative Study of Updates, Variants and Customs" section would be cool!

The width on the VF-11D appears mainly to accomodate the "bubble" pod for the Jamming Birds. In a purely military application, I can't see them wasting materials on a "space bubble" for the rear seat or widening the airframe to accomodate one. Though the thrust vectoring panels on the FAST pack of the jamming birds custom is definitely an upgrade to the typical VF-11 FAST packs.