REDs 1/24th scale Valkyrie

Poohsan

This is my first post on this board so I’d like to start off by saying “Helloâ€.

I’ve spent the last two days reading older post as research for a personal project. I started modifying my REDs 1/24th scale Vakyrie. Before I go any further on this project I wanted to check my reference materials. I was going to base this project on the Hasegaw 1/72 VF-1S Strike Valkyrie fighter kit. But after reading lots of post I am now reconsidering this.

Can anyone tell me which one of the following kits and toys which is considered the most accurate and correct.

1. Hasegaw 1/72 VF-1S Strike Valkyrie fighter kit.

2. Hasegaw 1/72 VF-1S Strike Battroid kit

3. Bandai 1/72 Variable Valkyrie VF-1S

4. 1/48 G-system VF-1S Ultimate Detail Valkyrie

5. Yamato 1/48 VF-1J Stealth Type Black Valkyrie

Once I settle on a reference source I will reevaluate this project and decided if I am going to move forwards or put it back on the shelf for a while.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

5. Yamato 1/48 VF-1J Stealth Type Black Valkyrie

Definitely NOT the Yamato 1/48 Stealth VF-1J. It's an awesome toy (one of my favs) but it's totally non-canon and thus it is not accurate or 'correct'. I'm not really into modeling though, so I can't really say whether the Hasegawa or the G-System models are more accurate. I do know, however, that in the toy-world many of the customizers use the Hasegawa models as a point of reference for which decals to use and where certain decals should be placed.

Definitely NOT the Yamato 1/48 Stealth VF-1J. It's an awesome toy (one of my favs) but it's totally non-canon and thus it is not accurate or 'correct'. I'm not really into modeling though, so I can't really say whether the Hasegawa or the G-System models are more accurate. I do know, however, that in the toy-world many of the customizers use the Hasegawa models as a point of reference for which decals to use and where certain decals should be placed.

Does anyone else have an opinion?

My plan was to 3D scan all the parts from the Hasegawa kit and have them output in SLA at 1/20th scale. But if the G-System is a better starting point then I should pick one up and scan it instead.

Hello Pooh!

If you scan any Hasegawa parts, would you be willing to share the data after it has been scrubbed & made suitable for the SLA? I've always dreamed of making 1/35th valkyrie/gerwalk/battroids and making dioramas of various scenes from the anime.

Thanks!

-THOR

Does it really matter if it's the Stealth VF-1J version? The standard Hikaru Super VF-1J has the same form.

The only diiference is the color and that has no influence on the scanning procedure.

Well, from the original post it is not clear that he's asking which has the most accurate sculpt so I assumed he was asking which one had the most accurate decals/stickers. The fact that he mentioned the Stealth 1J specifically, and not simply Yamato 1/48 VF-1, only added to that assumption. Sorry for the confusion. My bad :)

The Hasegawa details are non canon. But at 1/24th scale how can you not add the details? The Yamato panel lining is more accurate but proportionally it's off in many areas. Hasegawa isn't perfect either. Where Yamato took privileges for transformation purposes, Hasegawa took some for aesthetics. I say, get both and plenty of reference material and setle on a good balance of everything. You may already know the answer... grasshoppa!

I should have been clearer with the first post, please excuse me as it was late when I made the posting.

My original goal was just to copy the Red’s 1/24th scale Valkyrie. But after I broke it into parts and made castings I realized that the model was fairly crude and will need a lot of work to make it correct.

My second goal was to add a fast pack to the RED’s Valkyrie. I used the Hasegaw 1/72 VF-1S Strike Valkyrie fighter kit for my reference when I was modeling the Fast pack.

After completing several of the parts I decided it would be easier to just scan all of the kit parts and upscale them to 1/20th scale.

Now this brings me to the original question. If I am going to scan that many parts I should chose the best model to start with.

1. Hasegaw 1/72 VF-1S Strike Valkyrie fighter kit.

2. Hasegaw 1/72 VF-1S Strike Battroid kit

3. Bandai 1/72 Variable Valkyrie VF-1S

4. 1/48 G-system VF-1S Ultimate Detail Valkyrie

5. Yamato 1/48 VF-1 (any) Valkyrie

Of course this leads into another question. Should I make this monster transformable? Which is why I listed the Battroid kit above.

I’m sure this project will cost some coin. So I should scan the bets parts to make the backend clean-up as pleasant as possible.

Just so I'm clear about this when you say SLA are you talking about Streo Lithography? If so WoOOHoOO! This sounds like an exciting project!

Now back to business. It sounds like you want this to be as easy as possible (who wouldn't). That being said, if I were you I wouldn't want to mess around with using this from kit A and that from kit B - too much work. It sounds to me like you're simply out find the 'Best' version, scan it, and directly output to the SLA. If that's the case, I'd go with the Hasegawa if you're interested in single mode kits, if you want transformation I think the Yamato is the way to go. This is because the Hase. kits are optimised for their spcific modes and it would be way too much work to adjust their proportions for a transformable version. Especially when Yamato has already done such a good job.

As another suggestion there are some prety awesome 3D models in the fanworks section, Maybe you could find one you like and contact the artist to see if you could do a sort of trade: if they could provide you with 3D images of their model with a parts breakdown a-la Hasegawa's kits, you will provide them with an actual (touchable) model of their design. Sounds like a deal to me.

Anyway good luck! and keep us informed.

Edited by Chas

None are "perfect to the T" but IMO the Hasegaw 1/72 VF-1S Strike Valkyrie fighter kit is going to be the best looking fighter to base off of. Stick with one mode or the other (I pick fighter), trying to do both in a model will give you A. lots of headaches and B. a less accurate version of both.

There isn't one correct version.In reality while the hasagawa looks the best (and may even have the best shape), its actually the least accurate. Thats partially due to all of the additional panel lining that does not exist on any line art, and the fact that Its also optimized for its the mode it is in. Thats why the fast packs for on the battroid and the fighter versions of the strike are not interchangable. I suspect the UD 1/48 suffers these same flaws. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the Club M 1/72 resin was praised for its accuracy, and faithfulness to the line art. Moreover if you want to go to transformable, I don't think you can go better than the Yamato stuff, primarily because they made something that is supposed to look good in all three modes.

I’m starting to lean towards using a combination of both the Hasagawa Strike Valkyrie and the Hasagawa Strike Battroid kits. Instead of making the 1/24th scale model transformable it may be better to just give the option to build either a strike Valkyrie or a strike Battroid. I’m going to see what the quotes are for scanning the Valkyrie parts. If the pice is good I will add in Battroid parts.

Just so I'm clear about this when you say SLA are you talking about Streo Lithography? If so WoOOHoOO! This sounds like an exciting project!

Yes I'm talking about Stereo Lithography. :D

90% of everything I build these days is SLA.

It just makes life so much easier ;)

-Poohsan

You have an SLA setup? That is awesome, how much to send you some nice ACAD drawings and have them made, lol.

Knight26,

Unfortunately I do not own a rapid-prototype machine. I purchase time on machines when I run a project.

-Poohsan