Yf-19 1/72 Hip Mod

promethuem5

Hi all,

I've been meaning to do this for ages and ages, but didn't have the constitution to wreck one of my YF-19s, so, when I removed this one from storage adn the leg simply dropped off (I think I grabbed it a little hard) I realized it was a sign... sure the 1/60 YF-19 was finally on its way, but I was going to finally do this mod... a hundred dollars worth of stuff from HLJ (I bought a ton of other modeling supplies) and I was knee deep in unassembled YF-19 parts... I read that these acrylic joints were tighter than polycap ones, so that's what I used... the scariest part was drilling out the hip socket area... I also decided to do a hand mod while I was at it, because I've always thought the 1.72 would look much better with some good hands... so I grabbed a set of 1/144 Gundam hands that were real nice and matched pretty well, and set about moding them to fit the YF-19 gunpod... came out really well. So yeah, the 1/60's out adn hopefully mine will be on it's way soon, but for now I like to think that after some serious mod work and some light paint work, i've got one of the best looking 1/72 19s out there.

post-2015-1167334253_thumb.jpg

post-2015-1167334280_thumb.jpg

post-2015-1167334290_thumb.jpg

post-2015-1167334307_thumb.jpg

post-2015-1167334323_thumb.jpg

post-2015-1167334337_thumb.jpg

post-2015-1167334352_thumb.jpg

post-2015-1167334365_thumb.jpg

post-2015-1167334384_thumb.jpg

post-2015-1167334399_thumb.jpg

Kicker- They are ball and socket joints from Hobby Link Japan made by Yellow Submarine... they're the largest set in the small sized joint pack...

Jenius, thanks! I like the 1/60 alot and can't wait to get mine, but I think this mod proves that the 1/72 is alright too with a little TLC...

looks pretty nice dude!

if/when my leg falls off, i'll have to do the mod as well.

couple of question for ya

how much time did it take to complete the mod?

have you done stuff like this before, or was this your first time?

and does it transform like before?

Edited by do not disturb

I dry fit it a few times and it seemed to transform fine... it's not perfectly lined up where the hips meet the torso, but if you ewre a little more careful, it will work fine. I haven't tried transforming it since, because I've got another 19 for fighter mode... The wrist pegs rotating back no longer works tho, so instead I just remove the hands, leaving the socket.

DND: It took a coulple of days prep and planning, and then the actual work wasn't more than a few days.. longer for me tho because I broke both replaced hips right afterwards and had to do the whole thing over again... not so much fun. They're rock solid now tho, after some re-engineering of how the balls mount in the hip bar.

Edited by promethuem5

Anybody interersted in buying a MISB Yamato VF-19 (Light Blue vers.)

• 2 weeks later...

Be VERY carful afterwards with those Yellow Sub ball joints!!!! They're meant for MODELS. I repaired TWO VF-11B's with them only to have the ball eventually TWIST OFF the post (broken) and remain STUCK in the sockets. I used superglue to close the hips around my sockets too so I was SOL on them.

Looking back, you know what I really should have used??? Metal pericing barbells. I figure using some Epoxy to make the ball stay on the post would take care of it. Oh well now...

Don't worry, I already did wreck the other set o that size joints exactly like that....had to do the mod, then redo the joints... made a mess for a while, but eventually got them working. they're pretty solid now, but yeah, twisting is still not the greatest idea.