Yamato 1/60 scale YF-19 Fix/Modification Thread

Wicked Ace

Hopefully anyone who has issues with their YF-19 finds their way to this thread. My issue is with the landing gear. MW member Hayao Kakizaki posted a couple of pics of the problem and fix (see page 11 of Graham's review thread), but here's a step-by-step for those who are put off by tearing into their new, expensive toy. The good news is that fixiing this annoyance is not difficult.

The problem:

post-1617-1166739604_thumb.jpg

Tear-down: three screws hold the lower leg together. Note: be careful when separating the lower leg halves as there is a peg just forward of the vertical stabilizer (or tail) that can be broken off if you try to rip the halves apart at an angle.

post-1617-1166739711_thumb.jpg

post-1617-1166739774_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wicked Ace

After removing the landing gear bay from the lower leg, the two screws holding the bay together can now be accessed. The part requiring the modification is simply sandwiched around the landing gear strut and can be separated by an exact-o knife fairly easily, as there is no glue to fight with.

post-1617-1166740036_thumb.jpg

post-1617-1166740081_thumb.jpg

This is the part that requires modification. To put it simply, Yamato did not make the rectangle big enough to allow the strut to lean out to the side. To fix this, make the rectangle bigger -- taking material off, using an exact-o knife, a little at a time. The second picutre shows one half of the part in question with material removed compared to the other half as it came from Yamato.

Note, if you find that you took off too much (the landing gear leans too far over), don't worry, because the wheel axle will make contact with the landing gear door, preventing too much outward movement.

post-1617-1166740513_thumb.jpg

post-1617-1166740664_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wicked Ace

Nice. Thanks for the pictures and in-depth explanation of the problem and fix. The good news, for me anyways, is that I can tell from your first pic that this problem isn't going to bother me. I doubt I'll be "fixing" it. The crooked gunpod on the other hand, I might have to do something about...

Nice. Thanks for the pictures and in-depth explanation of the problem and fix. The good news, for me anyways, is that I can tell from your first pic that this problem isn't going to bother me. I doubt I'll be "fixing" it. The crooked gunpod on the other hand, I might have to do something about...

I bet that gunpod thing gets covered here. ;)

:blink: Now I'm confused; is it meant to tip inwards or outwards? Thanks for the info Wicked Ace. Quick question: the pivot piece to which the landing gear connects, is it plastic or diecast? Judging from the fact that you could cut (scratch?) it off with an x-acto knife, I'm assuming it's plastic. Edited by rikiryou

:blink: Now I'm confused; is it meant to tip inwards or outwards? Thanks for the info Wicked Ace. Quick question: the pivot piece to which the landing gear connects, is it plastic or diecast? Judging from the fact that you could cut (scratch?) it off with an x-acto knife, I'm assuming it's plastic.

Yes, the part to modify is plastic. Remember, it's best to take off material a small slice at a time. Also, I don't know if the "official" lineart shows the landing gear struts canting outwards or inwards; however, it's apparent Yamato was going for the outward cant.

Edited by Wicked Ace

Ah, good to know it's plastic. Hmmm, well, I guess it's also possible to sand/file it down also, can't give it a shot until my YF-19 gets in my hands first. Personally though, having the struts tilt outwards than inwards makes more sense in terms of centering the weight. Ah well, minor issue.

Same here, I didn't even think the landing gear had a problem until I start reading the feed backs. But thanks for the tips. :)

Since no one else has jumped in on the crooked gunpod fix, I'll address it in an extremely technical manner, not to be attempted by anyone lacking extensive modeling experience (runway or otherwise). ;) Step one: find a pair of scissors, being careful not to run with them, cut a small strip of electrical tape, and wrap it around the gunpod grip. Step two: there is no step two.

Seriously, there's a "better" way, so I'll leave it to another member to post detailed pics of a proper fix. Enjoy. If anyone needs pictures of steps one and two mentioned above, then post up, "I'm a doofus," and I'll take a picture of a YF-19 gunpod with some electrical tape wrapped around it. :D

Since no one else has jumped in on the crooked gunpod fix, I'll address it in an extremely technical manner, not to be attempted by anyone lacking extensive modeling experience (runway or otherwise). ;) Step one: find a pair of scissors, being careful not to run with them, cut a small strip of electrical tape, and wrap it around the gunpod grip. Step two: there is no step two.

Seriously, there's a "better" way, so I'll leave it to another member to post detailed pics of a proper fix. Enjoy. If anyone needs pictures of steps one and two mentioned above, then post up, "I'm a doofus," and I'll take a picture of a YF-19 gunpod with some electrical tape wrapped around it. :D

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...st&p=450182

I saw this fix but thought someone, perhaps Hayao Kakizaki himself, would do it cleaner (not that the gunpod grip is all that visible anyway).

edit: Hopefully it happens in this thread, as it's easier to find than to comb through umpteen pages of that thread.

Edited by Wicked Ace

Hmm, got the thing now and quite frankly the gunpod issue is negligible. I found that you could just *somewhat* loosen the arms' lock on the gunpod and fiddle with it a little, and it'll be straight.

And whoops, broke the one leg's peg when I tried to pry it apart. I found that it's not exactly necessary to actually dismantle it; you can push the rear landing gears outward a little, which will make a tiny dent/hole outward. From here you can use a hobby knife and make the necessary cuts carefully (otherwise you risk scrapping some surface paint).

Personally I think this was a better idea, unscrewing the screws with the wrong sized driver would destroy the screws, not to mention that peg breaking if you do wish to pry it apart.

And whoops, broke the one leg's peg when I tried to pry it apart. I found that it's not exactly necessary to actually dismantle it; you can push the rear landing gears outward a little, which will make a tiny dent/hole outward. From here you can use a hobby knife and make the necessary cuts carefully (otherwise you risk scrapping some surface paint).

Personally I think this was a better idea, unscrewing the screws with the wrong sized driver would destroy the screws, not to mention that peg breaking if you do wish to pry it apart.

The only problem I could see with modding the landing gear strut without taking apart the leg assembly is the somewhat fragile nature of the strut pivot sandwich. I've attached a pic of member Hayao Kakizaki's fix (using a drill bit). Apparently, the pivot piece has withstood drilling and your hobby knife use, but I am inclined to think that you and Hayao got lucky. As you know, the pivot piece plastic cuts away pretty easily with the hobby knife, which shows how potentially fraile the piece is.

True, correct sized screwdrivers aside :p , taking apart the leg involves risk of breaking the peg mentioned before; however, tightening the screws up firmly on reassembly remedies the gap -- worst case scenario, you use a dab of model glue at the peg. The potential downside to modding the landing gear strut without taking apart the leg is breaking the strut pivot piece, which would be a real nightmare that would involve a lot more than a dab of model glue. Check out the line (or gap) between the halves that sandwich the strut -- I think the sandwich pieces could crumble with use of a drill or long hobby knife (i.e. using a lot of leverage on the part).

IPB Image

Hmm, I think I disagree with it being *that* fragile. It's a matter of using a sharp (as all hobby knives should be) and slowly cutting small strips out. Like I said, what I did was push the so-called 'strut pivot piece' outwards which makes a little bit of a dent/hole. You just work your way out from there. After that process, if the two parts holding that strut together looks split like Hayao's pic, you can just push them back together anyway as they hold finely in place. HOWEVER, using a knife to cut it instead, didn't do anything like Hayao's pic.

Quite frankly, both ways work. I performed both your methods and the latter of no dismantling. I just wasn't too happy when that peg broke in the leg causing the rear wings to not hold in place tightly after you pull them out and 'lock' them for Gerwalk/Battroid. Of course, I could just dismantle and glue that part of the leg tightly, but I think I'd rather not in case something happens and I need to pry the thing apart again. :p

Edited by rikiryou

Like I said, what I did was push the so-called 'strut pivot piece' outwards which makes a little bit of a dent/hole.

This is the part that had me most concerned. :) I'm pretty sure the halves that hold the strut in place are not likely to crumble, but for those who do not wish to take apart the leg (not to mention save a couple of minutes), it's a risk. Your input is appreciated, as I'm sure some people are nervous about breaking the small plastic peg.

BTW, you mentioned breaking the peg and a hesitation to use glue in case you want/need to take the leg apart again, so I will add that if you use a small dab of Testor's brand model glue (the cheap dime-store stuff), the leg most likely can still be pryed apart -- I've done this with models in the past. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the tape-around-the-handle is the best fix for the gunpod, at least for now. Let me get this straight though, you just wrap a strip around the handle? Obviously, I'll have to poke holes in the tape for the pegs, but how thick should the tape be?

On the rear landing gear, all I did was force the rear landing gears outward more and they are fine now. :)

No drilling or anything! So now the only "issue" with my YF-19 is the gunpod and to be honest, it doesn't really bother me enough to even worry with.

I am very glad that I pre-orderd mine and have no regrets whatsoever.

-Kyp

Hmm...I would consider just pushing the gear out but I'm worried that the struts will snap or something. As for the gunpod, I'm an F mode freak so a straight gunpod has to happen...

i just snapped the pegs and performed the mod. then put a dab of glue on the peg and screwed everything back. i don't see what the big deal is? it was glued to begin with, i just glued it again is all. it didn't hurt anything and my landing gears now work like they should.

i still haven't done anything about the gunpod. i simply leave it off and it doesn't bother me a bit. its not like the 1/48 GP wheres its really visible. the yf-19 GP is almost hidden, its a non-issue for me at this point. thats not to say i wouldn't mind it being straight, but as is its no biggie.

Looks like the tape-around-the-handle is the best fix for the gunpod, at least for now. Let me get this straight though, you just wrap a strip around the handle? Obviously, I'll have to poke holes in the tape for the pegs, but how thick should the tape be?

Actually, I did not poke holes in the tape -- I let the mounting pegs put an indention in the tape; this helps to take up the slack, which causes the problem in the first place. I think the tape thickness will vary, depending on how crooked the gunpod sits on your particular -19. It seems some people have more of a crooked problem than others. I just cut a thin strip of electrical tape and wrapped the gunpod handle 3 to 4 times, maybe less -- you'll have to experiment. As far as tape width, I cut the tape strip so that it does not go beyond the two gunpod holes.

With a little wiggling, my gunpod actually looks all-right.... my 19 came today, and I spent about 2 hours just doing all the fixes up front... filed down the fuselage tabs because they were dangerously tight, took apart both legs and fixed the landing gear, and I had to add a bit of thickness to the piece that holds the right shoulder armor angled up.... only thing I'm still playing with is making the right shoulder flap stay... added some nail polish to the track, we'll see if that helps..

I just fixed the gunpod in three steps. Very easy fix, no glue necessary.

1.Cut a small piece of plastic from a spray can cap. It has the right thickness and you can give it shape with a pair of scissors.

2.Make a little hole so the piece snaps in place on the left arm.

3. Put the gunpod as it goes and that's it, straight fit.

gunfix1.jpg

gunfix2.jpg

Edited by takatoys