OK, devil's advocate: Other than the big sticker shock, would anyone want to own one of these puppies? I'm actually hoping the Japanese market and fans will make this a big enough success so that numbers 2 and 3 etc will get produced, not to mention the supporting goodies like Command Car(s) and even a Griffon. With enough time, discounts could happen, just like how the 1/12 Votoms reached 50% off on HLJ. Patience!

I really really wanted a big and high quality Alphonse. The early proto-type pics of the Yamato Patlabor got me pretty excited. They revealed great details and loaded with gimmicks.

But when I saw the final proportion, it looked so wrong. Had they got the proportion remotely close to the CM's Brave Gokin, I would have bite the bullet and folk out $300. I really wanted Yamato to come up with the good this time, but...

Arg.gif

OK, devil's advocate: Other than the big sticker shock, would anyone want to own one of these puppies? I'm actually hoping the Japanese market and fans will make this a big enough success so that numbers 2 and 3 etc will get produced, not to mention the supporting goodies like Command Car(s) and even a Griffon. With enough time, discounts could happen, just like how the 1/12 Votoms reached 50% off on HLJ. Patience!

Yeah, I'm still considering getting one... maybe if I can find a used to discounted one somewhere around Tokyo. I might be an unusual case though in that I like big toys (Jumbo Grade Gundam's are awesome) and don't mind paying for a nice display piece. On the other hand, I'm not a huge Ingram fan, but if I was to get one this might be it.

I'm still getting one ;)

Just one!

I really really wanted a big and high quality Alphonse. The early proto-type pics of the Yamato Patlabor got me pretty excited. They revealed great details and loaded with gimmicks.

But when I saw the final proportion, it looked so wrong. Had they got the proportion remotely close to the CM's Brave Gokin, I would have bite the bullet and folk out $300. I really wanted Yamato to come up with the good this time, but...

Arg.gif

I have 3 of CM's Ingrams and though I love them to bits, I think their proportions are a bit off as well - the lower legs and the waist section are too fat, IMO. Still, like you, I wish Yamato could have gotten it right. Barring the overall proportions, I think the sculpting of the individual parts is quite beautifully done .

I'm still getting one ;)

Just one!

Me too <feverishly patches up tattered wallet> !

I'd love to own one, but I will NEVER buy one at that price. I'd be willing to pay the same price I'd pay for a Yamato 1/48 Valkyrie, but not much more than that. Ridiculous...

I'd love to own one, but I will NEVER buy one at that price. I'd be willing to pay the same price I'd pay for a Yamato 1/48 Valkyrie, but not much more than that. Ridiculous...

Seconded!

Sorry Yamato, butI'm hoping these won't sell very well so I can maybe get one on clearance for 30-50% off. :rolleyes:

it looks to be all plastic.

i was all for getting one till I heard that price. I have trouble sometimes justifying buying Macross jets (The YF-21 cost me $298 Aussie) and thats for a series I REALLY like. Im a casual Patlabor fan, so Im sure as hell not going to fork out the better part of $500 for one!

so does the 1.48 Patlabor also have some diecast like the 1.24 or is it all plastic?

1/48 AV 98

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/search....1%2f48+patlabor

1/24 AV 98

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product...amp;mode=retail

From earlier discussions, the WHAM 1/48 Ingram does have some diecast, however the general opinion is that the sculpt is inferior to the CM's and poseability limited by the use of rubber/PVC shrouds instead of cloth.

The WHAM 1/48 Helldiver however, is an ABS/PVC model. No metal in that one.

For the Yamato 1/24 Ingram, it boasts a 'diecast frame', as per official site news, although I wouldn't count on it being a significant percentage of total mass. (i.e. more like Takara's MP Megatron & SS than MP Convoy.)

http://www.yamatotoysusa.com/page.cfm/588

Edited by drifand

For the Yamato 1/24 Ingram, it boasts a 'diecast frame', as per official site news, although I wouldn't count on it being a significant percentage of total mass. (i.e. more like Takara's MP Megatron & SS than MP Convoy.)

http://www.yamatotoysusa.com/page.cfm/588

The pics in this post show the die-cast in the hip, inner calves and feet. So yeah, not a whole lot of it.

Edited by IXTL

With my recent bad experience over the supposedly 'no-problem' Army Garland, I'm giving serious thought to shelving my plans to get one of these bad boys. At these prices, it is really not worth the worry that something was overlooked by the designer/QC foreman. Yes, I'll get my Patlabor fix from CM's and Wave and leave 'Brand Y' for the more courageous and lucky collectors out there.

I hear ya, drif, but I have to say that Yamato's been a LOT more successful with their non-transforming toys than with the transforming ones. The Yamato Giant Robo, Scopedog, destroid Tomahawk, Q-Rau, etc. are all freaking great toys (not without flaws, but not prone to breakage either). I wish Yamato would do the toy world a favor and stick to nontransforming toys, frankly, since they do such an awesome job of it. I expect the Ingram will be fantastic (damn pricey though, no question about that).

I'm emotional now because I felt I could trust 'Brand Y' after so many positive reports, but ended up with a great big brown POS anyway.

I would point out that the big 1/12 Votoms had it's fair share of problems, mainly in the first couple of releases unable to support bent poses in the knees or shoulders. The 'solution' came later in the form of slot-in joint-locks... how much better can we expect with the even bigger Ingram?

Yes, my paranoia is back to record highs. :-/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi-Res pics of Wave WHAM Ingram Unit 1. Already released BTW.

http://www.toysdaily.com/discuz/thread-80765-1-1.html

Wow, I love the glossy sheen of the toy. And, I think, they've nailed the proportions of the Ingram quite well too, at least, better than Yamato's version. The head sculpt is different as well, looking a bit like the Revoltechs. Still a nice looking figure and the poseability looks to be on par with CM's Ingrams, especially with that nice kneeling pose. I assume there's ample diecast content in this one, judging from the sheen itself (though I'm not too sure) and the not-quite-as-crisp (read thick) panel lines (not at least compared to what you can get with plastic).

Need an Ingram Mark 1, may even be tempted by the Mark 2 as well.

On a slightly different note didn't see this coming: http://www.hlj.com/product/CMS65154

Pre-ordered it straight away.

I've never had a chance to watch the series in its entirety...but are the Flight and Aqua Griffons the same unit, outfitted at different times with different mobility packs? Or are they 2, entirely separate mecha?

I've never had a chance to watch the series in its entirety...but are the Flight and Aqua Griffons the same unit, outfitted at different times with different mobility packs? Or are they 2, entirely separate mecha?

They're different units. The flight one appeared first and crashed into the sea after bailing out from the "boxing" match with Noa's Ingram. The second unit appeared in the 2nd OVA series which continued on from the end of the TV series. The 2nd unit was the one that trashed the Peacemakers (AV-0) but this time, lost conclusively to Noa's Ingram (she had help, of course, from Kanuka's Unit 3 as her Ingram was running low on battery). Anyway, most of the fight with the aqua griffon happened with its aqua pack detached.

Edited by todd77

They're different units. The flight one appeared first and crashed into the sea after bailing out from the "boxing" match with Noa's Ingram. The second unit appeared in the 2nd OVA series which continued on from the end of the TV series. The 2nd unit was the one that trashed the Peacemakers (AV-0) but this time, lost conclusively to Noa's Ingram (she had help, of course, from Kanuka's Unit 3 as her Ingram was running low on battery). Anyway, most of the fight with the aqua griffon happened with its aqua pack detached.

Ahh, got it thanks! So they didn't just dredge up the flight one, then fix it up with the Aqua pack?

Ahh, got it thanks! So they didn't just dredge up the flight one, then fix it up with the Aqua pack?

The flight one was severely damaged and crashed into the sea. And right after that, Utsumi (aka Richard Wong), the mastermind behind the Griffon saga, as well as Batrinand, Griffon's pilot, had to leave the country immediately with the help of Schaft's boss (who ironically, was pissed at him (Utsumi) for starting the whole Griffon fiasco and even called in S3 - Schaft Security System - to reel him in, which in turn, led to Kanuka's temporary return to the 2nd division in place of an injured Kumagami) as they were being investigated and pursued by Matsui, the detective. There was no scene indicating that they have dredged up the defeated Griffon and patched it back up though theoretically, they could still have salvaged it in order to prevent further evidences from being dug up. Anyway, it was once indicated that the most important aspect of the Griffon project wasn't the actual labor itself but rather, the blueprints for building it as well as the accompanying OSes that run it (which is why Utsumi had Batrinand go against the JSDF and police labors and especially Noa's Ingram - to steal their labor OSes and the accumulated labor data). The intention is to sell the blueprints AND OSes by demonstrating the superiority of the Griffon over other labors. So anyway, to answer the question, they could have patched up the original Griffon but they could also have easily rebuilt a new one (considering Utsumi's near limitless resources and guile). They are basically the same base unit only with different, optional, backpacks. Besides, some of the original Griffon parts such as the hands were left behind - or rather ejected (since the blind Ingram wouldn't release its grip) - during its first match with Noa in its desperate attempt to escape so some parts would naturally have to be rebuilt anyway. Also, quite a bit of time had elapsed between the first and second Griffon encounters (the two battles did not happen back-to-back) so that would give them plenty of leeway to simply rebuild a new one.

Edited by todd77

So what is the best bit of the Patlabor series then?

I like the Griffon fights, you kow bothtimes it will end up with Alphonse vs Griffon but is worth it. Favorite bit has to be the Tokyo heleport Ingrams vs the Phantom backed up by the Brockens, then the Helldivers turn up to help.