On 7/25/2021 at 2:39 PM, MechTech said:

Thanks, Salamander! Unfortunately I don't have that book. - MT

The Perfect Establishment Data books are collections of almost all the line art, that were released around 2008. For Patlabor they released five books in all, one each for the TV series, OVAs, and the movies. Studio DNA also did books on some other series, including L-Gaim, Xabungle, and Dancougar. 

I've found some more lineart in the first book of that series (that one covers the TV series), including a side view. I'll try to scan in the pages for you (if I manage without damaging the spines of the books; otherwise it will be pictures...).

By the looks of it finding those books for a decent price nowadays is pretty much impossible. I see the L-Gaim book at Mandarake for 3 times its original retail price... 😓

Edited by Salamander

@Salamander Thank you! Yeah, I looked online at the books and thought it's not worth the cost, especially just for this project. I have other books such as Macross, VOTOMS and L-Gaim. I STILL only reference the Macross ones;). The Patlabor video is just too short and with too little detail. It even looks like the Helldiver's shoulders fold towards the chest which is a new one on me. I've also learned to never trust video (especially pre-CGI days). There's always errors in it. - MT

@electric indigo That's the one! Thank you!!! The drawing reveals a lot more details than the movie footage, like exhaust ducted / blown flaps for one. And its called a C-4, interesting. Do you happen to have any more drawings for more views? I think I can convert a 1/72 A400 into one of these. - MT

@electric indigo Thank you again! Too bad that's all there is. But this is still a BIG help vs the movie (which does NOT line up with this in areas).

Those engines look HUGE from that angle! A head-on shot / side view would have helped put everything into perspective. Looking at my A400, I think it can be done fairly easily - except for those honking engines. Talk about high-bypass turbofans! - MT

17 hours ago, MechTech said:

@electric indigo That's the one! Thank you!!! The drawing reveals a lot more details than the movie footage, like exhaust ducted / blown flaps for one. And its called a C-4, interesting. Do you happen to have any more drawings for more views? I think I can convert a 1/72 A400 into one of these. - MT

Most of the more normal planes and vehicles used in the Patlabor series are modified versions of real life subjects.

So I guess this one is a modified Hercules C4: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_C-130J_Super_Hercules

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2021 at 12:37 AM, MechTech said:

@Salamander Thank you VERY MUCH for the drawings and the info! I noticed that too about their equipment. In fact, some of it is just plain contemporary equipment with a new paint job! - MT

Another fun one is the Type 74 Type G tank. In real life, this was a hideously expensive upgrade to the standard Type 74 tank that meant only four tanks were ever upgraded. In the Patlabor universe it was more widely used by the JGSDF alongside the Type 90. Fortunately, Asuka Models makes a Type G in 1/35, so once I build mine it will go on the Patlabor shelf. 😄

And while we're on the subject of 1/35 models, Aoshima makes 1/32 models of Japanese trucks, mostly decorated ones, but they also sell regular versions, which look great next to the Patlabor mechs. And with Micro Ace and Aoshima also making 1/32 Japanese cars, putting together a 1/35 Patlabor diorama should be easy (too bad that it takes so much room...).

@Salamander @electric indigo Thank you both for your help with the line art. I found a Russian site with the book scans (since its out of print now - otherwise I wouldn't post it):

https://nevsepic.com.ua/art-i-risovanaya-grafika/9681-this-is-animation-patlabor-the-movieartbook-260-rabot.html

I'm superimposing my drawing over the A400. Its tough. The C-4 looks great in the drawings, but the perspective is off and details in the two views don't line up. Of course these drawings weren't intended to be "built on," They're just drawing references. Even the Anime screenshots don't line up with these. ;) I'm still mulling over whether to do the conversion or not.

EVERYONE: Please feel free to point out any errors or mistakes you might see in the drawing. I could use the help!:D I'm still working on the drawing - so its not complete yet. The plan is to possibly take a 1/72 Revell A400M and convert it to a C-4. It will take a lot of conversion, but it looks pretty straight-forward. Out of the box, the fuselage looks like a close match.

Yes, the Moderoid Helldiver fits inside! But the shoulders not only have to be folded as in the movie, but require a little additional manipulation of the arms. That is BEFORE the parachute and rocket packs are fit on. So I may leave out the stock interior which takes up more space.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome! - MT

JASDF C-4 Model Blueprint.jpg

Its reasonably likely that the "C4" designation is carrying on from the existing JASDF C-1 jet transport rather than a C-130 variant; it wouldn't have existed at the time "Patlabor: The Movie" was made (though it may have been on the drawing board) but there is now a C-2 as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_C-1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_C-2

Edited by F-ZeroOne

The profile looks pretty good already! Like @F-ZeroOne said, the C4 seems to be particularly inspired by the QSTOL research variant of the C-1, with some C-130/Antonov windows added for spice.

Considering the folding of the Helldiver's arms, suddenly the clothed slots in his chest make a lot of sense.

@F-ZeroOne @electric indigo Thank you guys! I believe you're both right about the design being from the QSTOL. And yes, it definitively has that "Antonov" feel to it.

It's "anime magic," but the shoulders fold up. In this screens shot they're shown folded, but they are too tiny in all dimensions. They also stick up much higher over the front cockpit. Not only that, but there is a paratrooper riding each shoulder on the way down! That is crazy! The line art shows it, but not clearly. If I could read the Japanese notes, it might say that.:D - MT

Helldiver Folded.png

Patlabor JASDF C-4 I.jpg

On 8/18/2021 at 12:22 AM, Big s said:

1/43 was an odd choice, but I think this one is a standard train scale. Probably to match real city scenery.

1/43 is a very common scale for diecast scale model cars.

Probably so the Ingram and Griffon can duke it out on the starting grid of Suzuka or something...😅

"Izumi, avoid stepping on the SuperGT cars like Ota just did, and stop the Griffon from burning down the paddock. Ota will join you once the marshalls have dug him out of the gravel trap."

Edited by Salamander

I just got mine in the mail and it has the face defect. It’s really hard to spot if you don’t know what to look for and it helps to put a piece of white paper behind the part to spot it. I’ll have to hope good smile will be good and send me the part and then I can smile. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...