Graham's Review of Yamato 1/60 Scale YF-19

Graham

I'm going to say here I agree with Dante74. People keep asking about it, but it's been stated for months by Graham that it can't. Plus the fact that it's IMPOSSIBLE. There is absolutely nowhere for them to go. I've been this close to posting a "stop asking about the wings, there's no way to do it in real life" rant, but Dante74 said it first. :)

Now, over at MacrossNexus there was a very long discussion, and Graham took a close look at the drawings and came up with a possible explanation (for part of it, still didn't solve the root-tip problem), but that requires the wing splitting up into multiple, paper-thin parts with sliding internal joints. Maybe possible in 1:1 with overtechnology, but certainly not in a toy.

I'll repost this photo---see a problem with rotating the wings?

Thanks for all the hard work graham my 19 is comming in a few days and just having my 0a's arm come off just above the elbow today, i need to know WHAT MATERIAL IS THE UPPER ARMS OF THE YF-19 MADE OF I MUST KNOW after lossing the garlands arm and 0a's arm which are my last two Yamato purchases. I'm freaking out that in 3 months my 19 going to look like the one armed man :wacko: Please tell me P.O.M please.

Thanks for all the hard work graham my 19 is comming in a few days and just having my 0a's arm come off just above the elbow today, i need to know WHAT MATERIAL IS THE UPPER ARMS OF THE YF-19 MADE OF I MUST KNOW after lossing the garlands arm and 0a's arm which are my last two Yamato purchases. I'm freaking out that in 3 months my 19 going to look like the one armed man :wacko: Please tell me P.O.M please.

Would you please post pictures of where the breakage occurred on the VF-0A? Maybe a few of us can brainstorm on a fix.

Would you please post pictures of where the breakage occurred on the VF-0A? Maybe a few of us can brainstorm on a fix.

My VF-0S and ghostrider's VF-0A had the same problem.

It started off with stress marks then breakage.

I still haven't repaired mine.

post-31-1166147673_thumb.jpg

My VF-0S and ghostrider's VF-0A had the same problem.

It started off with stress marks then breakage.

I still haven't repaired mine.

Plastic Surgery made by Surehold is what I'd recommend. It is sold at Autozone. Was the shoulder binding before it broke, or did it snap without warning?

This is the stuff I used to repair the 0A shoulder - strong as hell and slightly ductile so it will not crack.

The shoulder was broken without any sign of binding. This problem is inherent to the VF-0A I think, where Yamato added screws to skinny joints to fix the VF-0S looseness. Overtightening in the factory?? <_<

YF-19 joint material looks to be the same material. If the YF-19 has similar screws, I'd saw watch out, if not, it probably won't be an issue.

post-3171-1166149117_thumb.jpg

Ok i'm so not touching my VF-0A now. I tried to get to the ball joint to tighten it as it was loose as hell, but ended up stressing it at that exact spot, and didn't have enough guts to go on with the fix. (that part below is held together by glue, so u had to pry it open)

Does anyone know if the wings have any sort of swing action? I looked at this picture and wasnt sure if the 1/60 had swinging wings...

IPB Image

Yes, it can be done. First make sure you have a YF-19 in your hands. Once you have it, the question is irrelevant. But if you have trouble sweeping the wings back, it's because they're too tight. Just loosen the nuts that attach the wings to the hip, then just S-L-I-G-H-T-L-Y shave the wing blades so that they can get clearance to the top of the back legs. After confirming the sweepability through iterations (since you want to shave gradually), you can apply some nail polish to coat the shaved areas so that there is no friction from the wing blades to the back of the legs.

Cheer! B))

Yes, it can be done. First make sure you have a YF-19 in your hands. Once you have it, the question is irrelevant. But if you have trouble sweeping the wings back, it's because they're too tight. Just loosen the nuts that attach the wings to the hip, then just S-L-I-G-H-T-L-Y shave the wing blades so that they can get clearance to the top of the back legs. After confirming the sweepability through iterations (since you want to shave gradually), you can apply some nail polish to coat the shaved areas so that there is no friction from the wing blades to the back of the legs.

Cheer! B))

Do you have pictures to share of the final result?

where do u GET the vf-x2 game? Ive always wanted to play it!

And its relevant because the yf-19 is in it....

PM you a link on the game. The actual YF-19 is not in it though, only the light blue version.

Back to the Hi speed mode for the toy, I remember someone mentioned something about double joints on the wings.

Edited by Temjin

PM you a link on the game. The actual YF-19 is not in it though, only the light blue version.

Back to the Hi speed mode for the toy, I remember someone mentioned something about double joints on the wings.

I did mention that before. I would've thought that getting the "clearance" needed wouldn't be too hard to do with a double jointed wing that could be "pulled out" and then swept back. Shrug.....i'll check out my YF-19 when i get it and see what kind of resin wing mod i can come up with.

It's not so much the wing sweeping back that's the problem, it's the fact that the wing root sweeps forward and in as the tip comes back. If you go strictly with the canon lineart and pivot point, the tailing edge root swings all the way through the legs, arms, chest, and head. The only way to avoid that is if the wing separates in half and with the root being fixed, and the outer part goes above or below its own root, overlapping itself (which doesn't seem to fit the lineart). Or does like the X-02 wing, and "swallows" part of itself. Or along what Graham thought up, having the trailing edge slide up and over towards the leading edge. (I thought perhaps having the entire trailing edge flip 180, since the flaperons are already hinged along that point--instead of a typical +/- 40 degree movement range, it'd be like +40/-180)

Sheer pivoting won't work no matter what. You have to either get the wingroot out of the way, or not have it move. Knight26 proposed having a sliding hinge near the pivot, so that you move the entire wing outboard, then swing it back, then move the wing inboard again---but even then there's still SOME root trailing edge issues. In the OVA, it seems to simply swing its wings, no flipping/folding. (yes, you see it happen--it swings them back from head-on, and swings them forward while doing a barrel-roll)

I got mine yesterday, pretty neat, the transformation process on the thing is really ingenious. I have to say I was terrified of breaking the thing when trying to unhinge the section behind the cockpit, man that joint was tight on mine. Otherwise, pretty much flawless, I am a happy camper, now to be careful about those joints.

I got mine yesterday, pretty neat, the transformation process on the thing is really ingenious. I have to say I was terrified of breaking the thing when trying to unhinge the section behind the cockpit, man that joint was tight on mine. Otherwise, pretty much flawless, I am a happy camper, now to be careful about those joints.

I had mine for like 3 days now and have had no problems with joints and such. I must've transformed it atleast 20 times already with no signs of plastic stress marks or loosening up with joints. By the way Graham was handling his on the videos, there's no way this thing is going to break. :D Unless:

A. You throw it off your roof or against a wall

B. Smash it with a sledge hammer (or any blunt object)

C. The wife gets pissed at you and throws it in the oven at 400 F for 10 minutes. (True Story :angry: Not with any Valkyries though )

It's not so much the wing sweeping back that's the problem, it's the fact that the wing root sweeps forward and in as the tip comes back. If you go strictly with the canon lineart and pivot point, the tailing edge root swings all the way through the legs, arms, chest, and head. The only way to avoid that is if the wing separates in half and with the root being fixed, and the outer part goes above or below its own root, overlapping itself (which doesn't seem to fit the lineart). Or does like the X-02 wing, and "swallows" part of itself. Or along what Graham thought up, having the trailing edge slide up and over towards the leading edge. (I thought perhaps having the entire trailing edge flip 180, since the flaperons are already hinged along that point--instead of a typical +/- 40 degree movement range, it'd be like +40/-180)

Sheer pivoting won't work no matter what. You have to either get the wingroot out of the way, or not have it move. Knight26 proposed having a sliding hinge near the pivot, so that you move the entire wing outboard, then swing it back, then move the wing inboard again---but even then there's still SOME root trailing edge issues. In the OVA, it seems to simply swing its wings, no flipping/folding. (yes, you see it happen--it swings them back from head-on, and swings them forward while doing a barrel-roll)

The wings not being able to swing back like a VF-1 kind the miss some of the fun, but it's better than having a fixed wing aircraft. :) The sliding hinge joint idea sounds possible. May be in the future we will see a 1/48 YF-19, with all the details the features. Like those Gundam Perfect grade models.

post-4513-1166225934_thumb.jpg

Cheer! B))

Yo Extra Large mumma!

It'll be really be cool if you can post pictures of your modified YF-19 that can do the swept back wings in the VF-X2 VF-19 and the lineart :)

I'm sure a lot of Macrossworlders are very curious now to see your swept back wing YF-19.