Graham's Review of Yamato 1/60 Scale YF-19

Graham

would have been nice if the upper body locked together in batroid. Not a big deal as my days of wooshing my toys around the room are over, but still... It would have made the battroid feel more solid.

i dont' ahve a yf-19 yet but perhaps theres a way to fabricate a resin attachment piece that would lock down the torso section in battroid mode? maybe NB4M will be able to come up wiht something?

i dont' ahve a yf-19 yet but perhaps theres a way to fabricate a resin attachment piece that would lock down the torso section in battroid mode? maybe NB4M will be able to come up wiht something?

I suppose someone might be able to come up with something, but to be honest, it's not a big deal to me and I'm not a fan of any removable parts of any kind, but that's me. :D

First Yamato toy that I feel is well made enough not to make me scared to death of playing with it.

You guys baby your toys too much. I've never felt scared of playing with any of the Yamato 1/72, 1/60 or 1/48 line.

I transform them all quite roughly.

Graham

I got my 19 a few days ago and opened it Xmas eve. Over all, very impressive. Looks amazing in all modes and could very well be the best sculpt Yamato has done to date.

As much as I like the new YF-19, I actually think Yamato did a better job on the VF-0A sculpt. I really love the look and detail of that toy.

Graham

Is that more of a "VF-0 has more engraved details" comment, due to the YF-19 line art being more inherently "plain"? Just think of the YF-19 like the Super Hornet---the skin is made of fewer, larger panels, with 1/10 the hinges/rivets/fasteners of older planes. Super Hornets are pretty smooth and featureless up close, exact opposite of the F-14.

Same should be true for VF-0 vs YF-19.

You guys baby your toys too much. I've never felt scared of playing with any of the Yamato 1/72, 1/60 or 1/48 line.

I transform them all quite roughly.

Graham

*Cough*

Maybe if we got ours from yammie ahead of schedule to do our own stress-tests, we'd be rough too.

*Cough* *cough*

*hint* *Hint*

Maybe all MW members above 3000 posts are eligible. :lol:

Is that more of a "VF-0 has more engraved details" comment, due to the YF-19 line art being more inherently "plain"? Just think of the YF-19 like the Super Hornet---the skin is made of fewer, larger panels, with 1/10 the hinges/rivets/fasteners of older planes. Super Hornets are pretty smooth and featureless up close, exact opposite of the F-14.

Same should be true for VF-0 vs YF-19.

I realise that the YF-19 is less detailed looking due to it being a far more advanced design than the VF-0 and this is reflected in the lack of fine detail shown in Kawamori's line art.

What I was actuall refering to is the accuracy of the sculpt and proportions. Although Yamato did a fantastic job with the YF-19 sculpt IMO, we all know that the YF-19 uses far more anime magic in it's transformation between the 3 modes than the VF-0.

This shows in some areas of the YF-19 toy, such as the gullet & skinny thighs. The VF-0 is comparatively more accurate to the anime in all three modes than is the YF-19.

They are both fantastic toys and I love them both, but I'd actually have to give a slight nod towards the VF-0A, which is fast becoming my favorite VF design and toy.

Graham

IMHO the 0 is just "easy" compared to the 19 to do accurately. It's not that different from the VF-1 which Yamato has lots of experience on, and uses little anime magic. To do a -19 in 3D is almost impossible, and I think they did a great job. It's not very noticeable, but even the "simple" way the wings fold back into the wing gloves to transform to battroid uses anime magic--it still hasn't been done "right" in 3D and probably never will. On the -19, even things like that (that you don't think/expect to use anime magic), do.

(If BBTS ever gets their shipment in, I'll know first-hand how well they did).

Re: Babying toys

I think babying the toy results from the fact that they are so expensive. It is easy for me to replace a broken Transformer, but replacing a broken YF19 would not be that simple - and I'm really not a fan of buying spare parts - I like the idea of having a well cared for mint toy, so I take care of my veritechs and well...yes...baby them :)

That said, my wife got me three Robotech books for Christmas, and I'm now reading "Zendraedi Rebellion" about the Southern Cross wars... I always loved the Southern Cross RPG, so this is a great present.

VFTF1

i agree on the babying toys thing. im staring to see some wear ion my vf-1j Max, my first 0S is developing cracks in one shoulder, and my second 0S seems to have a bit of rubber starting to come out of one shoulder. Its things like that that make me worry about the toy. and at such a high price, its hard to just go 'Ah well, Ill buy another"

LOL, so BBTS charged $200 for their YF-19 and then had them shipped via BOAT to the US? That's like prison sex for the toy world. You guys sure are die hard fans of great customer service... although I tend to think service begins with getting me my item promptly. Safe to say I'll never preorder anything from BBTS.

LOL, so BBTS charged $200 for their YF-19 and then had them shipped via BOAT to the US? That's like prison sex for the toy world. You guys sure are die hard fans of great customer service... although I tend to think service begins with getting me my item promptly. Safe to say I'll never preorder anything from BBTS.

Amen to that..but every once in awhile I do pre-order with them... With "local" stuff. When it comes down to yammies, takara and other overseas stuff hard to obtain, I have other sources.

Im happy to say I've had my YF-19 for 2 weeks now.. Im not a big fan of waiting. :rolleyes:

I realise that the YF-19 is less detailed looking due to it being a far more advanced design than the VF-0 and this is reflected in the lack of fine detail shown in Kawamori's line art.

What I was actuall refering to is the accuracy of the sculpt and proportions. Although Yamato did a fantastic job with the YF-19 sculpt IMO, we all know that the YF-19 uses far more anime magic in it's transformation between the 3 modes than the VF-0.

This shows in some areas of the YF-19 toy, such as the gullet & skinny thighs. The VF-0 is comparatively more accurate to the anime in all three modes than is the YF-19.

They are both fantastic toys and I love them both, but I'd actually have to give a slight nod towards the VF-0A, which is fast becoming my favorite VF design and toy.

Graham

You also mentioned somewhere that the YF-19 tail-fins were too short as well...I didn't notice this till I saw the lineart. I am hoping someone will cast them taller.

-Kyp

Ouch. I also had mine shipped via boat but paid $40 less. For that price they should at least provided EMS shipping. :(

(If BBTS ever gets their shipment in, I'll know first-hand how well they did).

I wouldn't mind waiting a little longer, as I'd feel safe knowing that if there was a problem with this 1st edition '19 that BBTS would fix it at their expense AND in a timely manner for U.S. customers. Somehow I doubt that Long-Duk-Dong from Hong Kong would be as caring. I challenge any other vendor to match BBTS's kind of service, something I'd gladly pay a price and wait for...

While I do take care when I transform them (slow down for the tricky bits and don't slam things into position), I never worried about it either until about the 3rd transformation of my VF-11. The leg just came straight off. :angry:

I'd never moved it beyond the range it was designed to go, and it had spent most of its life in fighter mode.

IIRC, I transformed it once when I got it, kept in it Battroid for a while and then went back to fighter mode, where it stayed for a few months, and then on the 3rd transformation to Battroid it broke. I felt rather ripped off by that.

Later on the canopy on my -19v2 snapped off as well, which I also thought was odd because I pretty much never opened it. At least I was able to glue that back on without it making a significant difference to the functionality of the toy, but it still bothered me a bit.

I could understand if it sheds parts if I pretend its flying by throwing it across a concrete room, but bits shouldn't be dropping off if I'm moving them in ways they're supposedly designed to go with the minimum amount of force required to get them to move. All in all, the 1/72 stuff I've owned has been slightly disappointing, tempered only by the fact that the -19 was the one I really loved and it failed in a less than catastrophic way several years after I bought it.

The new stuff, however, seems to be significantly more durable, and while the Zeros seem to have a few scary spots on them, I feel like they're much more likely to withstand normal use than the 1/72 stuff was.

Edited by BinaryFalcon

Anyone know how to tighten the wing joint on the hip? My is a little loose now after transforming it a good couples of times, and so now the wing just flops down in battroid mode.

My 19's limb too. I unscrewed the one behind the intake but it looks like the whole hip is glued together

Anyone?

I fixed a droopy left wing on my YF-19. It took about 2 minutes and then everything was back together. The leg can be removed from the rest of the body and it is probably easier to work on this way. I first removed the screw behind the hip. Then folding the wing up and positioning it like it's supposed to be in battroid mode, I gently (and I mean gently) pried apart the plastic to where I could see the screw holding the wing on. I was careful not to put too much pressure on the area w/ glue. The little square plastic piece w/ the pegs doesn't need to be removed fyi. Anyway, one turn is all it takes to tighten the wing sufficiently so it doesn't flop against the leg. The turbine in the intake came loose when I pried apart the hip. It's not glued in and it just pops right back in.

Edited by halfan

wow 30pgs of reading.. sigh.. anyways.. yes i agree with most of you in regards to the price of the boosters/fp, and mine only has a slight misalignment on the gunpod, but no problems with the flaps beneath and shoulders. I'm actually tempted to find a spare seat and pilot to paint and fit in the back seat =). Got my 19's a while ago, but couldn't really play with it in the open.. gf will be pissed if she found out i bought a new toy..lol.. but i managed to snag a few pics...

"Yamato should include black TV hands in my box!!"

IPB Image

&

Hurry up with the YF21's new replacement!! Someone who can actually give me a run for my money!!

IPB Image

Dammit, now I know why my wing is loosening. Even after you tighten the screw, when you Transform from fighter to Battroid you have to move it past that damn bump on the leg. This stretches the wing out and loosens it again. :angry: