Graham's Review of Yamato 1/60 Scale YF-19

Graham

I may pass on this and buy whatever pack comes out that includes the fast packs plus spacefold booster thing. For once I think I might actually prefer to leave this valk in fighter mode now that I think about it.

I can picture some person trying to pick it up and whoops the whole toy falls apart (well upper body flips back) and it ends up in a not so flattering position.

hey is anyone else having difficulty splitting the nose section from the body on the yf-19?? i had to take out the screws and put them back in while in step 5 cos it simply won't budge (sounds like what graham said)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v363/gro...rf/page_13_.jpg

seriously i don't even understand why those two tabs should even be there...and seeing how common it was to break something and this being my first yamato toy there's always a fear of hearing something snap which isn't sumthing locking or unlocking...and now i've gotta go through removing the screws everytime i wanna transform the thing :wacko:

Alot of us are having difficulty there. But graham's vid kinda assures you that it'll come off fine. Though yesterday, when i hinged mine, i noticed stress marks on where the 2 screws are above the tabs. Quite worried about these over time. :mellow:

Those 2 tabs are supposed to be flexible/bendable so that the whole cockpit assembly will stay tight in fighter mode. I believe if those tabs were to break, you'll get a less secure fighter mode.

Yesterday i panelled and stickered my valk and posed it with the yammie display stand. Looks so awesome now next to my monster, exposed to dust. No display case for it. :( While panelling it, i noticed i missed one step which was to pull the shoulder flaps out further out of the shoulder pad. The left one was fine and tight, but the right one becomes loose and comes out when you pull it out. This is cause the right shoulder pad's fitting isn't so good and there's a gap when you pull the flap out. Careful of this part cause you can easily drop and lose it and not notice. Graham, i noticed in your vid yours came out too.

FLEX (actually, it's spelt 'FREX' on their name cards). Is a product development company, not an individual person.

Takayuki Nishikawa was the sculptor responisble for the 1/48. Actually, sculptor is the wrong term, as since the 1/48 everthing is done on CAD/CAM and rapid prototyping machines, so maybe calling them 'designer' is more accurate.

I don't know who the individual person or persons are that were resposnisble for the CAD designs of the 1/60 YF-19 and VF-0, but I can try to ask.

Graham

do you live in the U.S.? i thought they dont usually tax on toys, it says right on their webpage

http://www.hlj.com/faq/q42.html

i'm kinda worried if i have to pay taxes for the huge order.

No, I',m in Canada. Usually, I pay GST, PST (total of 14% of item's value) and a service fee (5-8 bucks). I saved quite a few bucks thanks to Customs not really paying attention to the box!

FLEX (actually, it's spelt 'FREX' on their name cards). Is a product development company, not an individual person.

Takayuki Nishikawa was the sculptor responisble for the 1/48. Actually, sculptor is the wrong term, as since the 1/48 everthing is done on CAD/CAM and rapid prototyping machines, so maybe calling them 'designer' is more accurate.

I don't know who the individual person or persons are that were resposnisble for the CAD designs of the 1/60 YF-19 and VF-0, but I can try to ask.

Graham

It says in the Macrossworld scans of Dengeki Hobby Jan. '07 that Flex and a guy named Naoki Yoshiyama (Solid) were involved in the design/sculpt. Don't know if Solid is the guy's alias or the group he belongs to.

Well, I got the YF-19 today.

As far as the QC goes on mine, I have a few issues. Wonky gunpod. The Landing gear issue is pissing me off the most.

Other than that, I find it extremely playable. Easy transformation.

I love all my 1/48's, but I'm always afraid of breaking something.

It's good and solid like the MP-03.

I know Graham will probably ban me for posting these comparison shots

post-867-1166673624_thumb.jpg

post-867-1166673648_thumb.jpg

post-867-1166673664_thumb.jpg

Well, I got the YF-19 today.

As far as the QC goes on mine, I have a few issues. Wonky gunpod. The Landing gear issue is pissing me off the most.

Other than that, I find it extremely playable. Easy transformation.

Ditto. The landing gear is the most bothersome thing for me, too. I will say that if anyone is concerned about this thing being fragile -- don't be. My YF-19 has survived no less than three NASTY falls, and nothing broke. Also, Graham's video transformation guide was worth alot.

My YF-19 just arrived a couple hours ago. First thought: I was expecting a bigger box... I guess the trauma of getting the VE1 last year still hasn't passed and I'm just expecting these huge boxes to show up...

Anyways - he's wrapped and under the Christmas tree. :) This way I can pretend my wife bought him for me instead of coming to term with the fact that I think she got me some shaving razors :) :) :)

On that note - she did get me a MISB God Ginrai for my birthday last year, I guess she just figures since I spent the year buying myself TFs and now got this Macross toy, I don't deserve much else :)

VFTF1

Thoughts were flying through my head of having a VF-19Kai with Gunpod Gamma custom. :lol:

Until i decided to study the differences between the YF-19 and VF-19. Dang...its quite different, and i'm not sure if its because of anime-magic. The wings are way different, and the stabiliser fins are placed in different places, those are the main differences i could tell.

http://www.mahq.net/MECHA/macross/plus/yf-19.htm

http://www.mahq.net/MECHA/macross/macross7/vf-19f.htm

Oh well...so much for that.

Got my 19 today, it's bigger than I thought it was gonna be :huh: I found it has similar QC issues as the rest of you (landing gear, gunpod, shoulders) I nearly crapped myself during the first transformation as I got stuck during the torso split even though I was following Graham's guide. I had to loosen the screws to move it and found excess plastic on the tabs (now removed. Thanks to that I've ended up with stress marks on the grey parts and less visibly on the forward fuselage :( None the less, I'm still very impressed since I've wanted a YF-19 toy for a long time and now I finally have one! :D

its yamatos fault as far as the landing gear not working properly, but its not yamato fault its uber-expensive, you can blame the sellers for that one....

Well, that depends on what you think "uber" is. In this particular instance, Yamato may be partially responsible. If the retailors normally mark something up 30% and Yamato increased the base price the retailors will still want their 30% (that percentage is just an example, I have no idea what a regular toy mark-up is). Of course, it seems to me that some retailors took this toy as a golden reason to bump the profit margin up ($200???) so in those cases the seller is partially responsible. Then again, the moment you blame the seller, if you already own the toy, you have to start blaming the buyer as well.

After reading Graham's review and the opinions of you guys who got the 19 with the same QC problems, i still have to wonder if it's worth it to order. It's a lot of money and it's not even perfect which is a shame. Does anyone know if Yamato is gonna make a version 2 of this model ?

Almost certainly, but how long will you wait? We're still waiting on VF-0S version 2, while they've gone ahead with two VF-0A's in the mean time. We could see two or three more releases of YF-19's in the next 18 months, and not a revised one in Isamu's colors. Or, they could introduce a running change, and in 6 weeks "fixed" one will be on the shelves.

I've noticed a few people in the last few pages of this thread mention they have problems with he shoulders. What problems, can you please elaborate?

The shoulders on 3 of my production YF-19 are all fine.

Unless you are referring to the gap in fighter mode?

Graham

I've noticed a few people in the last few pages of this thread mention they have problems with he shoulders. What problems, can you please elaborate?

Graham

For mine, its the flap inside the right shoulder. I noticed the fitting for the right shoulder isn't very good and looks abit warped. When you pull the flap down and move it outwards, the cavity in the shoulder doesn't hold the flap well and it becomes loose and will drop when the flap loosens at a certain angle. This will not be a problem if u just pulled the flap down and left it closer to the arms, as someone already suggested.

And also a minor problem is probably the angled shoulder looseness. My angled shoulders are fine, but i thought it would be better if it were ratcheted or clicked into place instead of the current hinge its using, cuz the one on the left is a wee bit loose but nothing serious.

$200+ pricepoint for such a highly anticipated toy by a company that only projected roughly about $30 worth of effort... And best of all, this isn't Yamato's first day on the job. How you guys manage to stay patient with your hard earned cash & civil with your constructive criticism is beyond me.

I'll go lie down for a while now.

$200+ pricepoint for such a highly anticipated toy by a company that only projected roughly about $30 worth of effort... And best of all, this isn't Yamato's first day on the job. How you guys manage to stay patient with your hard earned cash & civil with your constructive criticism is beyond me.

I'll go lie down for a while now.

And from Yamato's previous working history, every consumer that is so concerned with their hard earned cash and remaining civil would know not to buy in first generation as this happens with every toy Yamato has released. But there are those who don't mind spending on something wonderful and just can't wait.

Graham

The swivel on my YF-19 that allows it to do a front lateral raise is loose on the left.

Also the point which allows the wing to rotate in battroid mode is loose.

And from Yamato's previous working history, every consumer that is so concerned with their hard earned cash and remaining civil would know not to buy in first generation as this happens with every toy Yamato has released. But there are those who don't mind spending on something wonderful and just can't wait.

Hmm, I dunno.. I've always had this impression should a product not sell well, there is very little chance it will see the light of a second run.

[attachmentid=39188]

With comments like that, anyone who should know not to buy in first generation would have immediately placed an order because it is suppose to be better.

post-176-1166760570_thumb.png

Edited by Beware of Blast

With comments like that, anyone who should know not to buy in first generation would have immediately placed an order because it is suppose to be better

Yamato invests enough money in these toys where if they perceive the market exists if only they improved the first edition they will make a second edition even if the first did not do well on its own merits. Besides, I think this is more a case with everyone being angry at the price more than the toy. If this is a $100 toy the little flaws are perceived as little flaws. The moment it became a $175 the expectations shot way up. People don't need to preorder the toy for the first run to be a success either. You can always wait, let other people get their's, and then buy one. If you want one right now they're all over the place, it's not like these toys were preorder only items. The lesson: it never hurts to be a patient buyer... it only hurts when patience turns into procrastination and then runs straight into a supply crunch. Besides, have you seen the discount preorders got? Ouch, it seems like some people actually PAID for the priviledge of preordering. No thanks -

Yamato invests enough money in these toys where if they perceive the market exists if only they improved the first edition they will make a second edition even if the first did not do well on its own merits. Besides, I think this is more a case with everyone being angry at the price more than the toy. If this is a $100 toy the little flaws are perceived as little flaws. The moment it became a $175 the expectations shot way up. People don't need to preorder the toy for the first run to be a success either. You can always wait, let other people get their's, and then buy one. If you want one right now they're all over the place, it's not like these toys were preorder only items. The lesson: it never hurts to be a patient buyer... it only hurts when patience turns into procrastination and then runs straight into a supply crunch. Besides, have you seen the discount preorders got? Ouch, it seems like some people actually PAID for the priviledge of preordering. No thanks -

The big issue here isn't just the price or toy. It's the COMPANY and the people who run it. Drifand once said... Yamato will always get it right the second time... almost. What we have here is an attitude problem.

hehehe, niceeeeeeee.... fokker traveled to the future!! I se you also added a Skull on the tail

it'd be nice to see a custom painted 19 skull 1

It's not Roy Focker traveling to the future -- the pilot is his grandson, Gaylord Focker. :)

I've spent way too many hours playing with the YF-19. I'm in the "I wonder if this would work. . . " phase of new toy fever.

post-1617-1166763756_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wicked Ace